PDA

View Full Version : Is the AI too fast at Algarve?

fresquito
23-11-2017, 19:04
I'm doing Career with the Rookie. I'm playing at 105% difficulty and while the first Championship went pretty smooth (I was batling in samey times with the top AI), the second has gone downhill in the first Practice. I'm six seconds away from the AI. I know I can do better, but I'm not sure I can do six seconds better and I'm wondering if it's on me or it's on the AI (maybe a bit of both?). Any reports of the AI being extremly fast on this track?

Alfisti
23-11-2017, 19:11
105%???

Maybe turn it down??

fresquito
23-11-2017, 19:35
I think you missed the point. In all previous races I was on par with the AI.

xtro
23-11-2017, 19:36

play the demo or wait for the patch :cool:

Keena
23-11-2017, 19:45

Including Donnington?

fresquito
23-11-2017, 19:54
Including Donnington?
I did the American Championship, so no Donnington.

Keena
23-11-2017, 20:11
Ahh- well similar issues there. Balancing coming with the next p.....

DarrenM
23-11-2017, 23:06
In Formula C could keep up with 100% AI at Algarve until the last corner where they pull out a second or more even though it's an easy flat out corner. Seems like they don't lose speed from scrubbing tyres in the corners or something. Any high speed corner they gain a massive advantage. Was the same in the Carousel at Road America, T6 at Sonoma etc. Downforce level has no impact on it.

cxMilk
23-11-2017, 23:07
Not a track specific issue. In general, the AI in the FR series is much tougher once you hit the Euro Championship in comparison to the Regional series. I remember being ~6 seconds off at Algarve as well, but managed to get it down to ~2 seconds by the end of quali. Second race at Catalunya National was a race to forget. I managed to keep pace at Donington National, granted, I'm much better at this track then the other two mentioned tracks, but was still off in comparison to my times in the regional series.

It makes sense that the AI would be a bit tougher in the main series, but for sure, I think they're a little too strong when you consider keeping pace, or even wiping the floor with them in the regional only to be left in the dust in the main series.

At least, that's my perception of what's going on here as opposed to track specific speed. I may be wrong though.

fresquito
23-11-2017, 23:24
That would make some sense, but as you point out, the difference seems too big. I looked up the TT world record for the combo and yeah, it's slightly under what the top AI was doing. Maybe 105% is not for me after all, lol.

ECAR_Tracks
24-11-2017, 00:28
I concluded AI has no logic in this simulator. It's not a matter of calibrate their speed in all slow, all medium or all fast corners, it's random. It looks like their speed is completely scripted without any physics considerations. I know it's not completely true but it's how it does like most of time.

Ian Bell
24-11-2017, 02:29
I concluded AI has no logic in this simulator. It's not a matter of calibrate their speed in all slow, all medium or all fast corners, it's random. It looks like their speed is completely scripted without any physics considerations. I know it's not completely true but it's how it does like most of time.

It's the opposite actually. We moved the AI to a full brush model as per 'some of your favourite sims player cars', then we added in infinite variations and complexity. No amount of 'logic' data and coding worked to cover all variations.

Balancing it for infinite track conditions, with a detailed tyre model has been the issue.

Lots of improvements coming very soon in patch 3 though.

fresquito
24-11-2017, 03:12
Hey, Ian, can you confirm there's a jump in difficulty from regional to finals like cxMilk suggests? Just coincidence? I just suck at Algarve (most certainly, I'm not great on it)? If possible, would you care to sharing some ideas on what the dificulty levels mean? Like if we understand 120 is in the reign of WR, then what would 100 be? Maybe two seconds off that?

Marlborofranz
24-11-2017, 04:10
It's the opposite actually. We moved the AI to a full brush model as per 'some of your favourite sims player cars', then we added in infinite variations and complexity. No amount of 'logic' data and coding worked to cover all variations.

Balancing it for infinite track conditions, with a detailed tyre model has been the issue.

Very soon... aaaahh. I played more project cars 2 in a month (as per steam playing time) than project cars 1 during the past years. I'm glad you take your time to make a good patch because 1. Quality and 2. I finally have time to move to another city and get my stuff arranged... ;)

demadou
24-11-2017, 07:32

Ian, I have been for a while on this forum and finally come to write something down (don't blame me for my english, I'm a frenchie :p)
It makes me feel a bit surprised you're still saying the patch will be coming soon ... You closed the thread about it and demo seems to be a newer build than release version ...

I get it, a lot of things are being patched / fixed and that's a huge amount of work I can imagine.
But please don't say "soon" it would be better to tell an ETA rather than this or maybe not say anything !

Btw, Algarve is a wonderful track and I think is perfectly fitting with GT3 little monsters ! :D

Pink_650S
24-11-2017, 10:25
The AI is unrealistically quick through the second to last corner. I play on both 95% and can keep up with them throughout the lap, but in that particular corner they seem to have grip that is out of this world.

Has anyone encountered this as well?

fresquito
24-11-2017, 13:11
Aw, yeah. I lowered the dificulty to 95 and I'm a second faster in sector 1 and 2, but two seconds slower in sector 3. Doesn't sound too good. Let's hope it gets ironed in the patch.

freeon
24-11-2017, 19:11
Weird, it has been the opposite for me. GT3 at 85% on par with AI at every track. Got to Algarve and was 1 second faster than them. LMP1 in the endurance championship difficulty at 100% was on par with AI at every track. Got to Algarve and was 3+ second quicker in qualifying and lapped the field in a 32 minute race.

Keena
07-04-2018, 18:12
In formula rookie is there still a massive pace discrepancy at Algarve? Im 4 secs down compared to other circuits in the series.

gregc
07-04-2018, 18:54
In formula rookie is there still a massive pace discrepancy at Algarve? Im 4 secs down compared to other circuits in the series.

I don't know if this helps or not, but way back during development I ran the Rookie career and I had a similar issue - even down to the time gap, roughly - however for me, then, it was just a matter of practice. I hadn't spent much time lapping the circuit in anything, and I found that there were some places where the car was simply a lot faster than I thought it was.

This is emphatically not me saying 'Git gud', by the way :). Just that in my case at least, the problem was circuit knowledge. Of course, if you already know the circuit well, feel free to ignore me :D

Keena
07-04-2018, 19:27
I don't know if this helps or not, but way back during development I ran the Rookie career and I had a similar issue - even down to the time gap, roughly - however for me, then, it was just a matter of practice. I hadn't spent much time lapping the circuit in anything, and I found that there were some places where the car was simply a lot faster than I thought it was.

This is emphatically not me saying 'Git gud', by the way :). Just that in my case at least, the problem was circuit knowledge. Of course, if you already know the circuit well, feel free to ignore me :D

Hehe, no its quite OK. I'm playing on 110% difficulty and use the aggression slider to fine tune- it works surprisingly well doing it that way. On all the other tracks I'm normally within a couple of tenths of the best of the rest, but Algarve is my bogey track. Its the final 2 turns onto the pit straight, the worst possible place to be losing time. I just cannot get the grip down there while getting the car to accelerate and its there that the AI are gaining all that time difference in the lap. In the race I can over the course of the full distance normally get by in the early lap, but then on the pit straight I have to squeeze them to the right which shags them up for turn 1 where I have to hold my breath every lap waiting for them to spear me in the side. Its my least favorite circuit because I'm constantly either banzai-ing them up the inside or driving through my mirrors :(
Ahh well.

CassielLight
09-04-2018, 05:20
Maybe it's me, but I always felt like Algarve races like Barcelona with elevation changes. That big, circular building overlooking the hairpin can be seen from just about everywhere that's not the main straight, and it makes for a fantastic mark when you're driving.

Bealdor
09-04-2018, 06:28
Maybe it's me, but I always felt like Algarve races like Barcelona with elevation changes. That big, circular building overlooking the hairpin can be seen from just about everywhere that's not the main straight, and it makes for a fantastic mark when you're driving.

No, you're not the only one...