PDA

View Full Version : Minimum connection speed

Callumatic
26-11-2017, 09:17
Hi everyone. I would love to race multiplayer but I'm not sure with my connection. I don't want to ruin other people's races due to lag. So what would you say is the minimum connection speed to run a race without causing too many issues. (Download, upload and ping). As I'm posting this, my download is 0.51 mbps, my upload is 0.54 mbps and ping is 128. It fluctuates all the time, the joys of a cheap modem.

I know people have different ideas on the minimum connection but what would everyone say is the bare minimum? As said before, I don't want to ruin anyone's race.

DECATUR PLAYA
26-11-2017, 09:43
Right now most are waiting on the patch because of disconnect issues. Before patch 2.0 the game was playing pretty good on xbox. A 128 ping is not bad. Just periodically check your ping with other guys. You will not ping with everyone the same. I normally ping around 50 - 75 with guys with good connections. I got some buddy's that ping around 150 - 200. Once you get past 200 - 250 is When the connection starts to get bad.

The worst I have seen is my buddy on weak WiFi. He was pinging at 1744. He lagged out 10 seconds later.

kofotsjanne
26-11-2017, 16:36
Just find a server and give it a try. You sound like the good guy that would leave if too many complained so nothing to lose but everything to win. I remember using some network traffic program a couple of years back and was surprised to how little bandwidth online gaming actually use. Its probably the ping going up and down and if you have alot of packet loss that will cause issues and not the low download/upload itself.

Jaood
26-11-2017, 17:41
You could try a ping via cmd. Windows bar-> cmd enter, command prompt pops up, type "ping -t google.com" without the " and look how stable it is. Imo ping around 300 is no problem if stable :)

Visceral_Syn
26-11-2017, 19:02
Ping is the time it takes a packet of information to be sent from your computer, to a host, and back. So if you find a server with a low ping, its physically close to your location. If you play on these servers, you will get decent network performance. In games with a dedicated server, your network traffic to and from it, is coming from the the dedicated server, not from other players. The server updates the clients connected to it. Half Mbps up and down is more than sufficient to play, hosting even a listen server you would need more upload bandwidth.

Sadly, developers today simply refuse to post actual ping values in game, or ip addresses so you can ping servers with the command prompt. So in the case of this particular game, only connect to dedicated servers with green 4 bars, which indicates a low pinging server to your computer.

Kunal_Racedriver
29-11-2017, 05:20
With a ping of 128..you should be fine. Unlike FPS shooters, racing games can be more forgiving. I don't see my ping but I assume it must be above 200 for most of the times. It can't be helped as I am in southern Asia and most of the lobbies are from Europe. The opponents I have in a lobby usually are above 200 and even 350+. I've done bumper close racing without any issues. High/Low ping is not that big issue as the stability is. Cars jump back/forth when ping fluctuates. I think my connection is average speed but quite stable and I don't use Wifi when playing online.

Gromran
29-11-2017, 09:18
You could try a ping via cmd. Windows bar-> cmd enter, command prompt pops up, type "ping -t google.com" without the " and look how stable it is. Imo ping around 300 is no problem if stable :)
First, a ping to google say absolute nothing about in game latency
Second, 300 is bad, under 50 is good

Jaood
29-11-2017, 09:50
First, a ping to google say absolute nothing about in game latency
Second, 300 is bad, under 50 is good
Ping to google will tell him how stable the connection in general is. I raced quite a bit with some aussies that range from 200-500 and imo stable 300 can work in pc2.
Racing with dudes i have 30 ping in AC its always over 100 in PC2 so i would say that 50 isnt good but imposible.(could be different on DS) Anyway, im just trying to help :)

Gromran
29-11-2017, 09:52
Ping to google will tell him how stable the connection in general is.
No! A ping tells you nothing about the connection stability, it's only a latency value in this moment.

Jaood
29-11-2017, 10:00
Yes! You see a stable ping-> stable connection. You got anything productive here?

Gromran
29-11-2017, 10:22
I already have, but you do not understand it

Visceral_Syn
29-11-2017, 12:12
There is no such thing as a 'stable connection'. The internet is in perpetual flux. If, you ping the server you are going to connect to, the measurement ping does is tell you how long it takes to send data to that server, and back to your computer. So, with that in mind, the lower the ping, the closer you are to that server, the less delay it takes for that data to go the server and back, aka... latency. And, since the internet is always in a state of traffic, ie.. perpetual flux. Pinging google, unless you are gaming at a server on google, tells you absolutely nothing. The amount of bandwidth a client has, has a little bit to do with latency. Overall, only play in Green servers in the MP list, the green indicates it is low pinging, to you!