PDA

View Full Version : opening .dds files

Pawgy7
26-11-2017, 17:26
I cannot open the .dds files in the custom liveries of the textures folder. What program do I use? I am using Paint Net for all my other .dds files.

ctzn
26-11-2017, 18:29
I am not familiar with Paint Net, however Photoshop and GIMP can be used to open .dds files.

Cartman78
26-11-2017, 18:36
XnView also

John Hargreaves
26-11-2017, 19:51
I think NVidia makes a free plugin for photoshop so it can read and save .dds files, maybe there is one for those other programs.

Pawgy7
26-11-2017, 22:17
downloaded and installed GIMP but it does not support >dds files Not even listed. Paint net supports alll other .dds file in other games but comes up blank in Project 2 cars.

That is two programs now that i have used to open all my .dds file that will not open dds in project cars2.

ecstaticbrick
27-11-2017, 07:22
The dds file in the custom livery folder are blank. Download templates from the database, paint them and replace the file in the custom livery folder with your own.

Pawgy7
27-11-2017, 15:08
Good idea. I have necer painted from a template. Always just took the plain car from the data base and added numbers and decals. Will give the template a try.

I don't understand. If the .dds file is blank ,how do the cars in the game get their colors? They must be painted someplace. I do not know where the templates are for all the cars.

John Hargreaves
27-11-2017, 15:13
I think the templates are layered photoshop files, you may still need the plugin to save them as the right type of .dds file?

Pawgy7
27-11-2017, 15:44
ecstaticbrick and John. Googled and found many templates. Downloaded and painted caddy and see that game only recognizes 1 custom livery .which is oK. Excellent ides and can now customize my own car. Thanks Loads. BTW my paint net is fine.

Regards Pawgy7 .

satco1066
29-11-2017, 00:18
ecstaticbrick and John. Googled and found many templates. Downloaded and painted caddy and see that game only recognizes 1 custom livery .which is oK. Excellent ides and can now customize my own car. Thanks Loads. BTW my paint net is fine.

Regards Pawgy7 .

Sometimes i don't understand some forum users. The official "Templates Download" was just in front your nose when you entered this thread.
No need for Google :p :stupid:

Alan Dallas
29-11-2017, 03:55
:facepalm:

You don't edit .dds files directly. You edit in the template (.psd) and export to .dds

There's a primer/tutorial for pCARS liveries in the pCARS1 section, it's the same process as in pCARS2. Here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21857-Vehicle-custom-liveries-How-to-FAQ

Blondebouc
08-02-2018, 20:21
Hi there,

A bit more information about .dds if you are interested in :)

To keep it simple, the .dds file is what your graphic card need to read, because it can't reade file like jpg, tga, png and so on ... The .dds format is really more compressed than a common format and it's probably the best reason why to use it.
A lot of game engines convert the source files made by artists (jpg, tga, png and so on ...) into some .dds. But here, we can't acces to the engine and it's why we need a converter.

After converting, all layers you could have in photoshop( or any editing program) are "flatten".
So, always keep your source file with editing capabilities (several layers, naming groups, masks...), and save as .dds a converted copy only to see the display in game :)
To do an edit, open back the source file, and save as an other time to DDS an other time.

AbeWoz
08-02-2018, 20:28
there is a .dds plugin available for GIMP, which is what i use for my liveries.

Albertsen
09-02-2018, 14:16
I think it's worth mentioning that if you just want to view the files, there's a plugin that can view dds thumbnails in windows. (Like jpg and bmp and so on.)