PDA

View Full Version : I can get my hands on a (cheap) second hand Oculus, please convince me its worth it.

ELAhrairah
26-11-2017, 22:16
I have a Gtx 1080 gpu

About the oculus:

Is it worth it?
What about motion sickness?
Will I ever need triple screens again, or is one screen enough? (to log into windows)
Can I still drink beer while having that thing on my head?;)
Are the graphics realistic? (heared about Screen-door effect)
The myth that VR makes one faster, is this true?
Is a headset with microphones/headset necessary for online communication and does it all fit?
I have an i5 processor 4760k running @ 4300ghz, will it bottleck the performance?
In short, the pros and cons?

Edit: its the CV with two controllers.

Blake-Lee43
26-11-2017, 22:37
Depends how cheap?
i use to have a HTC Vive but I sold that and went back to triple screens. VR is great but the resolution just isn't where I need it to be just yet to look far enough ahead.
you could always wait for the next gen VR headsets, but like i said depends how cheap it is.

SlowLoser
26-11-2017, 22:44
It's all pro, except for the beer - you'll need a straw.

cluck
26-11-2017, 22:49
Is it worth it? You won't know until you try one. For me, it was worth every single penny (I'm still using the DK2 I got just over 3 years ago)

What about motion sickness? You won't know if you suffer from it until you try one. If you get travel or motion sickness already then chances are you will suffer from it with the Rift. I have never had travel or motion sickness in my life and I've never felt queasy with the Rift.

Will I ever need triple screens again, or is one screen enough? (to log into windows) You won't know until you try the Rift! (Do you spot a pattern here?!). In all honesty, if all the games you want to play will support the Rift and you can get over the other limitations of it, then you can probably ditch the triple-screens.

Can I still drink beer while having that thing on my head? Yes :)

Are the graphics realistic? (heared about Screen-door effect) They're a downgrade on what you see on a monitor, there is absolutely no doubt about it. Are they realistic enough to fool the brain, 90% of the time? Absolutely :)

The myth that VR makes one faster, is this true? There could be some truth to it but I don't believe anybody has done any proper studies as yet. I found that I was faster after just a week, compared to my old single-monitor. I suspect you will only get anecdotal evidence from individuals on this.

Does it work with microphones/headset for online communication? I use my own headset and mic so, yes :)

I have an i5 processor 4760k running @ 4300ghz, will it bottleck the performance? Yes, if you want 90fps constantly but your GPU will take up a lot of the strain anyway. The ASW feature will make you forget about the 90fps worries most of the time though.

In short, the pros and cons? Pros are simply that there is nothing as immersive out there. The 3D depth perception is also a massive benefit. Cons are the graphics more than anything, and having to wear it. Motion sickness, if you suffer from it, is going to be the biggest 'con'

Also, how cheap is cheap? It's available for 350 in the UK right now so unless it's significantly cheaper than that, you might be better off renting one for a month and seeing how you get on with it (if that feature is available in your country)

FxUK
26-11-2017, 22:52
I have a Gtx 1080 gpu

About the oculus:

Is it worth it?

Depends on price.

I suffer from it in some stuff, but not with Project Cars (1 or 2) or games like Elite Dangerous.
Mind you, I lie, I can't look behind and reverse, that one requires a puke bucket, spinning out ain't so bad though :)
For what its worth, I also get motion sickness in Half Life 2 (non VR) lol.

Will I ever need triple screens again, or is one screen enough? (to log into windows)
I sometimes race using my screen, depends on my mood. VR is awesome, but sometimes I just want a break from it.

Straw.

It can be hard to see clearly in the distance, it's not so bad, imo though. Side by side racing is wow.

I suppose you get better perception of speed and more awareness, since you can look around naturally and everything is to the correct scale.

Is a headset with microphones/headset necessary for online communication and does it all fit?
CV1 has built in earphones, but you can remove them to use your own headset, etc.

I have an i5 processor 4760k running @ 4300ghz, will it bottleck the performance?
I wouldn't have thought so, what about GPU?

ELAhrairah
26-11-2017, 23:01
Thx guys.
The price is 250€. And the gpu is a gtx 1080.
Thanks again for the great feedback, it really helps.

FxUK
26-11-2017, 23:05
Thx guys.
The price is 250€. And the gpu is a gtx 1080.
Thanks again for the great feedback, it really helps.

Also, if possible, I would check to make sure the lenses have no scratches. There's nothing worse than having a horrible scratch in your face, every time you use it ;)

wippy
27-11-2017, 00:51
I cant even use tripples now i have got a cv1 its just not the same , i have a i5 4670k running 4ghz and its only just getting to its limit now

Yorke
27-11-2017, 00:59
You won't regret it, the Oculus is a game changer, your not just watching a race, your in the race. I don't regret it at all, at first there was a little nausea, but beer actually settled and helped so there is the answer to 2 questions. I don't know if it makes me faster, I know I hit Apex's at will, braking markers can be tough to pick up. The graphics are inferior to modern flat screens, but the trade off for the Immersion is worth it to me. In fact if mine broke, I probably wouldn't race on my flat screen, i would until I got another one.

TorTorden
27-11-2017, 01:13
Personal opinion of course.
But I bought my cv1 for full pre order price a bit over a year ago.
Haven't regretted it a second yet.

And I honestly don't find non VR enabled games very interesting.

My screen alternative range from trippel 1080p to ultra wide 32" to 4k tv and 90" projected screen.
I prefer the rift for gaming.

BrainsBush
27-11-2017, 05:05
As already written above you have to experience the VR yourself. My personal opinion: Go for it! Yes graphically an acceptable step back vs monitor but for immersion at least two steps forward.
The first time you put on your goggles and step into a car and look around is so much fun. Try e.g. the Ligier Honda with all the little details, Ford Mustang Fastback with all the chrome (and there are so many more to explore). Yes I'm enthusiastic (addicted...) too I admit

Enjoy your new VR life too :)

Jaood
27-11-2017, 07:25
Do eeeet :yes:

Gav88888
27-11-2017, 07:26
Is it worth it? Yes
What about motion sickness? If you tweak the graphics to run at 90fps then you will be fine, 45 fps sometimes make you feel a bit weird
Will I ever need triple screens again, or is one screen enough? (to log into windows) Only you can answer that
Can I still drink beer while having that thing on my head? Yep, use a straw lol
Are the graphics realistic? (heared about Screen-door effect) Same as in game, but depends on the GPU/settings to make it run at 90fps
The myth that VR makes one faster, is this true? Depends on your skills, but being able to see the apex etc is more realistic in turn it could make you quicker
Is a headset with microphones/headset necessary for online communication and does it all fit? Only you can answer that, but should work fine if you workout what it is your looking for
I have an i5 processor 4760k running @ 4300ghz, will it bottleck the performance? GPU is more important, but i5 should be fine
In short, the pros and cons? If you want one buy it, if you don't like it sell it, you don't need convincing to buy something, don't you have your own opinion on what you want?

ZulfoDK
27-11-2017, 08:02
I have a Gtx 1080 gpu

About the oculus:

Is it worth it? Well, that depends. I would NOT go back to racing without my Orculus. I have not bought F1 2017 just because it doesn't support VR!

The first few times you use it, you may feel it a bit - I had it when driving tracks with hills, and I still get it when reversing at times, but it's not a problem. One thing I cannot play though is Flightsims - thats too much for me.

Well if you race simulators/games that does not support VR, you might want to hold on to those 3 screens.

Yes, but if you don't want to spill, maybe a straw is the solution :)

First off, the resolution is low - like in really low, when coming from a normal monitor, or 3. But after a few minuts in racing you are going to forget about that!! Trust me!

I had a few friends over who are also a bit into racing games, and at first when they put the head set on, they were like "...well... this looks like shit..." when they were in the menues, but then they started racing and they completely turned "...woow... this is SO friggin cool... wait..wow... I need to remember to breath....". It was SO immersive that they forgot everything about the resolution.

They both bought VR and Project Cars 2 after that!!

One thing is for sure - you won't go back to tripple sceen racing after being in VR. The way you are able to look into apex, the awareness of other players, the way you hit the brakingpoints... it's a whole new game. I lent out my head set to one of my friends who had to check if his graphics card could run VR games, and I tried racing on my 48" screen - could not do it!

Both the build in microphone and headset in the Oculus are actually very good - but you can choose to use another headset.

Project Cars 2 is heavy on the Processor, but your GPU is fine!

In short, the pros and cons?

Edit: its the CV with two controllers.

Pros : Immersion, Immersion, Immersion (and it takes up A LOT less space than 3 screens)

Cons: You CAN have motion sicksness, and you can get tired. I did a 1 1/2 hour race at Le Mans in VR, and I was busted after that race!

nhitrac
27-11-2017, 08:05
It wasn't worth it for me as the resolution was too low. I probably won't look at VR until maybe third gen.

Immersion and the sense of being there though is unreal and amazing... if you can get over the pixelated views.

Hlspwn
27-11-2017, 13:03
It wasn't worth it for me as the resolution was too low. I probably won't look at VR until maybe third gen.

Immersion and the sense of being there though is unreal and amazing... if you can get over the pixelated views.

A bit like your self I am waiting, although I will drop onto gen 2. I am totally missing out I know, and am chomping at the bit for VR goodness, but we are that close to the new units I can wait that little bit longer.......

pablito
27-11-2017, 13:05
Guys i played EuroTruckSimulator with google cardboard-like device with nexus 5 inside...and survived nothing can be worse then this ;)

RomKnight
27-11-2017, 13:29
If it is in good condition just buy the damn thing. Although I'm a VIVE user so can really comment on OR.

I do have the same CPU / GPU (both OC) and at 4.2Ghz it's close... but again, on VIVE. I can still mange 90FPS though. This was measured by having my daughter looking and MSI:A overlay in the the monitor for a few laps in the rain at LB IIRC

With patch 3 coming and optimisations I'd say it'll just get better judging from the demo on consoles reports people are talking about (and it's not even the whole of it)

SunnySunday
27-11-2017, 14:17
I remember first time I loaded up assetto corsa in VR.. I thought my headset was defective or that I had wrong resolution set. I couldn't believe how pixelated the picture was... I was quite disappointed at first, but I quickly got over it and started enjoying it, to loving it. Yes resolution is still kinda crappy, but when supersampling is actually makes it look way crisper.

Olijke Poffer
27-11-2017, 14:38
For that Price I would go for it indeed.

Motion sickness can be a thing. Although I tried PSVR and Driveclub at the time it was released and I got instantly sick. First I thought, Ok no VR for me but bought it nevertheless.
After a couple of short sessions and some other non racing games I got used to it and my brain adapted. Now I only feel sick when driving in reverse and I look out of the side window and hit the brakes full force. My brain will not adapt here. But only at this action. tested it 1000 times but every time I got a nasty feeling in my stomach. So I quit testing this. Other than this I do not feel any motion sickness anymore.

You can't explain how it feels to be in VR. You have to experience it yourself.
To be short,

Without VR you look AT a game. With VR you are IN the game.
Ow and forget graphics, it is just a couple of years back. But if you can live with this you probably will have a great time. I do and I do'n like 2D gaming anymore.