PDA

View Full Version : Real weather

SunnySunday
02-12-2017, 08:07
Very happy to see this option back. Not sure if it came in latest patch or if I just haven't seen it before. I seem to have a issue with it though, every track starts in forecast "clear". I've tried probably 15 tracks in a row and I'm googling their respective weather, and some of them shows rain but still I'm getting nothing but clear weather. Anyone else?

Marlborofranz
02-12-2017, 09:09
Very happy to see this option back. Not sure if it came in latest patch or if I just haven't seen it before. I seem to have a issue with it though, every track starts in forecast "clear". I've tried probably 15 tracks in a row and I'm googling their respective weather, and some of them shows rain but still I'm getting nothing but clear weather. Anyone else?

Haven't had this issue before, though I have to say that I am not using the real weather option toooo often. Racing mostly online here and the weather-sync-bug forces me to only start clear or cloudy online race lobbies.

But when I race offline I use it and there it seems to work for me. When I start the session while it is raining, It's cloudy but doesn't rain immediately. You can see some fog and then a few seconds later it starts to rain. My guess is that you don't start in rain directly, but the game immediately starts a weather transition to the real weather we currently got on track. At least for the rain effect. The track already seems to be a bit wet at this point, though.

Purg
03-12-2017, 05:12
I exclusively use Real Weather for quick races. I think you're right. Out of the last 10 races I've done, they've all been Clear through the whole race - and I've been racing a lot at Oulton Park and Knockhill. I expect changing weather at both of those tracks. I've also been changing the date and seasons each time.

Schumi-
03-12-2017, 10:31
Same here tried numerous differnet tracks around the world, every one i have tried the weather is clear.

Marlborofranz
03-12-2017, 10:32
Sounds like it broke since the latest patch

Schumi-
03-12-2017, 17:05
Sounds like it broke since the latest patch

Think so, tried nearly every track today, real weather settings, and every tracks weather was Clear, can the @Mods pass this on to the Developers please,

Ta

Purg
04-12-2017, 07:37
Seems to be working now..? Had a few sessions start with rain at Oulton Park and a fog session at Brands Hatch.

Purg
04-12-2017, 07:56
..or, maybe not. Whatever the first session weather is set to appears to remain the same over the entire session, then qualifying, then the race. It doesn't seem to change.

OddTimer
04-12-2017, 07:59
I can confirm. The game seems to stick to the weather selected by the player manually for the entire race.

Schumi-
04-12-2017, 08:20
Konan has passed this on to the Developers for us.

DinoM
04-12-2017, 08:39
I now tried Hockenheim GP. The snow falling. :))

https://www.accuweather.com/en/de/hockenheim/68766/weather-forecast/167282

J4M35_R
05-12-2017, 18:58
Real weather always clear for me lately. Is it a know bug?

GTsimms
05-12-2017, 21:25
Real weather always clear for me lately. Is it a know bug?

If weather information is not returned, it will automatically select clear.

J4M35_R
05-12-2017, 21:42

Thank you.

Is this a problem my end or is it broken?

GTsimms
05-12-2017, 22:01
Thank you.

Is this a problem my end or is it broken?

No bug, ex: https://steamstat.us/

J4M35_R
06-12-2017, 18:34
I'm still only getting clear weather when set to real, 3rd day running. Is there any files l can reset so this works again.

Many thanks

Johnny Tavares
06-12-2017, 18:53
Can anyone tell me which website the Pcars 2 uses for real weather?

F1_Racer68
07-12-2017, 02:49
Can anyone tell me which website the Pcars 2 uses for real weather?

Same question. I asked before but got no response.

In pCARS1 it was openweathermap.org (https://openweathermap.org/) Not sure what it is now (although I assume it is the same).

Purg
07-12-2017, 03:21
It's been spotty for the last few days. I'm back to getting clear in my races, sadly. Have opted for random with 2 slots synced to race for the time being.

When I was getting a forecast other than clear, it remained the same through all the sessions despite setting the sessions 5 hours apart.

SunnySunday
07-12-2017, 06:14
It's been spotty for the last few days. I'm back to getting clear in my races, sadly. Have opted for random with 2 slots synced to race for the time being.

When I was getting a forecast other than clear, it remained the same through all the sessions despite setting the sessions 5 hours apart.

I could be wrong here but I think the real weather only accounts for the current weather, and not a "true" forecast. So I think you'll get the current weather for all your sessions. That's what I make out of the description at least.

Today I actually got something else than clear for the first time. Didn't have time to do more testing but it seems like it is working sometimes but usually I only get clear weather.

Schumi-
07-12-2017, 06:15

Same here, constantly clear in all the tracks i have done. Hope it gets sorted .

F1_Racer68
07-12-2017, 11:00
I could be wrong here but I think the real weather only accounts for the current weather, and not a "true" forecast. So I think you'll get the current weather for all your sessions. That's what I make out of the description at least.

Today I actually got something else than clear for the first time. Didn't have time to do more testing but it seems like it is working sometimes but usually I only get clear weather.

It ended up that way in pCARS1, although it didn't start off that way. That appeared to be mainly due to a change in the API after the game stopped being patched.

Also, I would be OK with that, except that's not how it is working right now either. As evidence of this, last night I tried a race at Road America with Real Weather. At the time (and most of the day) it was bitterly cold and snowing at Road America, yet in game I was repeatedly presented with clear skies and a balmy 71F (roughly 22C). Quite obviously not what the real world was experiencing.

Schumi-
10-12-2017, 08:43
Still getting clear weather on all of the tracks, hopefully the Devs will look more closely into this.

jan.ringas
10-12-2017, 08:57
Yes, same here. I always liked the feature of having the real weather in Project Cars 1, and I think in combination with LiveTrack 3.0 it would be even better in Project Cars 2 (if it worked, which seems not to be the case currently).

Schumi-
10-12-2017, 09:19
Yes, same here. I always liked the feature of having the real weather in Project Cars 1, and I think in combination with LiveTrack 3.0 it would be even better in Project Cars 2 (if it worked, which seems not to be the case currently).

Totally agree, since Pcars 1 like yourself i alway's used Real Weather, agreed with Live Track it would be brilliant , yes hopefully it will get fixed soon, fingers crossed,

J4M35_R
10-12-2017, 10:01
I always wanted real weather when l played pc1 on the ps4. I have used it all the time on pc2 on the pc and would like it to work again. I would love a hotfix if this feature is still not on consoles.

jan.ringas
12-12-2017, 18:20
Has there been (maybe somewhere else than in this thread) an "official" statement if this is a known bug and if so, whether a fix for this can be expected in the next patch?

So far - to me - the only relevant information was Schumi-'s post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58197-Real-weather&p=1438732&viewfull=1#post1438732):

Konan has passed this on to the Developers for us.

... and at least a bit GTSimms' first post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58197-Real-weather&p=1440067&viewfull=1#post1440067):

...whereas GTSimms' second post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58197-Real-weather&p=1440067&viewfull=1#post1440067) rather increased my confusion whether we are facing a bug in PC2 or something on our side:

No bug, ex: https://steamstat.us/

So to summarize: Is this a known bug in PC2 (or maybe a changed API which needs some adaptation in PC2) or do we, who seem to have problems with the "Real Weather" option have to do something on our side?

J4M35_R
16-12-2017, 17:54
Has there been (maybe somewhere else than in this thread) an "official" statement if this is a known bug and if so, whether a fix for this can be expected in the next patch?

So far - to me - the only relevant information was Schumi-'s post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58197-Real-weather&p=1438732&viewfull=1#post1438732):

... and at least a bit GTSimms' first post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58197-Real-weather&p=1440067&viewfull=1#post1440067):

...whereas GTSimms' second post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58197-Real-weather&p=1440067&viewfull=1#post1440067) rather increased my confusion whether we are facing a bug in PC2 or something on our side:

So to summarize: Is this a known bug in PC2 (or maybe a changed API which needs some adaptation in PC2) or do we, who seem to have problems with the "Real Weather" option have to do something on our side?

Is there any news on this problem. l've had another few nights of clear weather, has anyone found a work around?

Schumi-
16-12-2017, 18:43
Is there any news on this problem. l've had another few nights of clear weather, has anyone found a work around?

No workaround here, still getting all clear weather on the tracks i have played on, i believe it is connected to the last patch we had as before that patch, real weather was working fine.

Hope one of the Mods could ask the Developers to look into this again for us.

poirqc
16-12-2017, 19:04
They could probably scrape the info from the weather website. And set it up on a server of theirs. From there, the game would only pole that server. That way, the API would always stay the same between the game and the server. 1 proxy is alot easier to patch(maintain) than 3 platforms.

STaLLiOnO
16-12-2017, 19:25
Real weather then changed the slots to random. When you create a room and never mess with the weather settings, on default it's always clear. Try that and see what happens.

Moonfast
17-12-2017, 08:20
Is real weather excluded for Xbox 1 in PC2 as it was in PC1? I would love to have it on my xbox1x.

Schumi-
17-12-2017, 08:32
Is real weather excluded for Xbox 1 in PC2 as it was in PC1? I would love to have it on my xbox1x.

I think it is unfortunatley.

J4M35_R
04-01-2018, 15:47
Any latest news if this is fixed in patch 4?

Keena
04-01-2018, 16:04
Not sure if this is relevant but I hosted an online race at knockhill and it was peeing it down. Set to real, in real time.

Schumi-
04-01-2018, 16:08
Any latest news if this is fixed in patch 4?

Well fingers crossed it has

Not sure if this is relevant but I hosted an online race at knockhill and it was peeing it down. Set to real, in real time.

Strange one that, every real weather session i have had, it has alway's been clear, something definetly is not right with real weather at the moment.

jan.ringas
04-01-2018, 16:22
(...)

Strange one that, every real weather session i have had, it has alway's been clear, something definetly is not right with real weather at the moment.

Same for me, since Patch 3 (maybe even before, I'm not sure about that) I've always had only clear weather when starting a session with Real Weather enabled.

Schumi-
04-01-2018, 16:30
Same for me, since Patch 3 (maybe even before, I'm not sure about that) I've always had only clear weather when starting a session with Real Weather enabled.

Yes definetly a Patch 3 problem, before that it was working all good.

Keena
04-01-2018, 17:07
I set everything to real time. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

J4M35_R
04-01-2018, 17:47

I always play offline , but as others have said the real weather has always been clear since patch 3 . Everytime someone asks if this problem has been noted by the devs there seems to be no concrete answer.

Schumi-
04-01-2018, 17:52
I always play offline , but as others have said the real weather has always been clear since patch 3 . Everytime someone asks if this problem has been noted by the devs there seems to be no concrete answer.

Yep same here offline only, the repsonse i had was " If the game or the source cannot acquire valid result, it will use clear." so something is not communicating within the game.

Herege
04-01-2018, 17:57
Real Weather does not work in accordance with the places at the moment, I have already done tests with several websites of meteorology and local web cameras and failed completely for me. I keep putting the real time, hoping one day to be right.

Javaniceday
04-01-2018, 18:17
As far as I can tell, offline, anyway, real weather does give me different weather that makes sense. I haven't checked to see if it matched the real life weather, but 2 days ago did a 1 hour race at Daytona road course, started out foggy but as the day moved to night and the temp dropped, it started to rain. Felt legit to me.

I'd love the devs to come on here and verify if its working, if it syncs up correctly with people online, etc ,etc. To me it's an amazing feature that I wish more people would use.

Schumi-
04-01-2018, 19:14
As far as I can tell, offline, anyway, real weather does give me different weather that makes sense. I haven't checked to see if it matched the real life weather, but 2 days ago did a 1 hour race at Daytona road course, started out foggy but as the day moved to night and the temp dropped, it started to rain. Felt legit to me.

I'd love the devs to come on here and verify if its working, if it syncs up correctly with people online, etc ,etc. To me it's an amazing feature that I wish more people would use.

See now this is what i dont get, others are reporting that real weather works, since Patch 3 every track i have been on has always been clear , whereas before the patch, i was getting random weather if you know what i mean.

Yes would love to hear a Devs response to this,

Purg
04-01-2018, 19:36
See now this is what i dont get, others are reporting that real weather works, since Patch 3 every track i have been on has always been clear , whereas before the patch, i was getting random weather if you know what i mean.

Seems to work intermittently but for me, for every 1 time it works, 10 times it hasn't.

SucaScr
04-01-2018, 19:53
Another one here

Since last patch, every offline session I´ve raced in, was with Clear weather

PostBox981
18-02-2018, 09:19
Any news on this topic? I didn´t see anything related in the change log, maybe I missed it though. No time to just go and try it at the moment. Still dreaming of setting a complete online championship to Real Weather one day.

Schumi-
18-02-2018, 09:39
Any news on this topic? I didn´t see anything related in the change log, maybe I missed it though. No time to just go and try it at the moment. Still dreaming of setting a complete online championship to Real Weather one day.

Seems to have been working my end for the last 2 weeks now ! Only offline single player though.

Purg
18-02-2018, 09:51
It's sporadic on my end - similarly to someone else (possibly in this thread) for a day or two, it was always setting itself to snow. Normally default is clear. No matter what track or date, always snow.

The last few days it appears to have been working, though.

ant1897
22-02-2018, 17:28
Tried it last night. Set it to real, surprisingly enough we got light fog, checked the accuweather forecast. Light fog. Seems like its working again.

Juhu_0815
24-02-2018, 08:33
Hi,

yesterday and today I've tried different locations with real weather and compared with online weather information. As far as I can observe real weather works fine. I am racing offline.

PostBox981
24-02-2018, 10:37
I tried 5 random places yesterday and also compared to online weather information. All 5 worked very well. That was in SP too. :)

F1_Racer68
24-02-2018, 16:23
Question is, does it work in an online room? DO all drivers in the room see the SAME weather now? Will start testing that next week after our season finale tonight.

RyokoMaruyama
24-02-2018, 17:42
Question is, does it work in an online room? DO all drivers in the room see the SAME weather now? Will start testing that next week after our season finale tonight.

Yes, it does work online and all players see the same weather. Can confirm after doing a 2 hour practice session with 8 people.

neslane
24-02-2018, 22:53
Is the real weather for the ingame date and time or for the current date and time (no matter what settings for the race)? I think its the second, right?
And have anyone experience with a longer race? Is the weather changing? Or fixed to "1 Slot and 1 check for realweather"?

Purg
25-02-2018, 05:05
Weather does change. I've had a couple of times at Oulton Park where practice started with cloudy and rain started 20 or so minutes in.

I wish there was a time acceleration option for practice and qualifying, though.

drathuu
25-02-2018, 05:46
Running real weather in our league season - working fine, its great when everyones googling the forecast to prep there car for race.

PostBox981
25-02-2018, 09:31
Running real weather in our league season - working fine, its great when everyones googling the forecast to prep there car for race.

This!

We did something similar in PC1 with running the current weather from wetter.com. A week before the race I was trying to find out what weather to expect for the race. So much fun!

F1_Racer68
25-02-2018, 16:25

That's exactly what we did for 4 seasons in pC1, and it is what we have missed in our first season in pC2. Looking forward to using it again in our upcoming season.

sylekta
27-02-2018, 20:54

do you have to look for forecasts for the real life race start time, or the time you are setting the session for
ie, we schedule a race for 9pm real time, but in game its 7am, i presume the weather would be 9pm but it would adjust temperature to roughly what it would have been at 7am ?

Purg
27-02-2018, 21:22
Do we know what site SMS use to obtain 'real weather'?

F1_Racer68
28-02-2018, 00:19
do you have to look for forecasts for the real life race start time, or the time you are setting the session for
ie, we schedule a race for 9pm real time, but in game its 7am, i presume the weather would be 9pm but it would adjust temperature to roughly what it would have been at 7am ?

You have to look for the forecast of the actual time your race will run, because Real weather uses CURRENT weather data. For example, all of our races start at 23:00 EST. So if we are running a race on April 6th (real date) using Spa, we have to check the real world forecast for Spa on April 7th at 05:00 CET.

Do we know what site SMS use to obtain 'real weather'?

I'm still trying to confirm this as well. In pCARS1 it was http://openweathermap.org/ Knowing which site is used is critical info as we encountered a lot of issues in pCARS1 with the weather forecasts not matching between Openweathemap and other weather sites such as Accuweather, etc.

sylekta
28-02-2018, 00:31
You have to look for the forecast of the actual time your race will run, because Real weather uses CURRENT weather data. For example, all of our races start at 23:00 EST. So if we are running a race on April 6th (real date) using Spa, we have to check the real world forecast for Spa on April 7th at 05:00 CET.

Still slightly confused, do you mean that your race start time is the same as your session time? so everyone jumps in to race at 23:00 EST and the lobby qualif/racetime is also 23:00 and that translates to the next day 05:00 CET which is the local time at Spa and thats the forecast you look at?

Using a NZ track as example because I am in NZ, if I have a race at 21:00 NZDT on the 28th of Feb at Ruapuna, but I set the quali/race start time for the lobby to be 10:00 on the 28th, earlier the same day, would look at the forecast for 21:00 or 10:00?

F1_Racer68
28-02-2018, 00:34
Still slightly confused, do you mean that your race start time is the same as your session time? so everyone jumps in to race at 23:00 EST and the lobby qualif/racetime is also 23:00 and that translates to the next day 05:00 CET which is the local time at Spa and thats the forecast you look at?

Using a NZ track as example because I am in NZ, if I have a race at 21:00 NZDT on the 28th of Feb at Ruapuna, but I set the quali/race start time for the lobby to be 10:00 on the 28th, earlier the same day, would look at the forecast for 21:00 or 10:00?

Forget the in game date/time. Those are irrellevant when using Real Weather.

You will only get the current weather conditions at that location. So you need to know exactly what time it is at that real world location at the time of your race and then look at the weather there. In other words, if I were to host a race in 25 minutes (21:00 EST), I would need to look at what the weather will be 25 minutes from now at that track location. Whatever that weather forecast is, that is what I will get in the game.

In your NZ example, the weather would be based on your 21:00 NZ time. The game does not have access to historical weather data, only the current conditions.

Edit: Assuming SMS is still using openweathermap.org, here is the link to their info http://openweathermap.org/price I assume that SMS is only making use of the "Free" API, so the best we can get is CURRENT weather, and forecasts in 3 hour increments up to 5 days in advance. This was how it worked in pCARS1, and until we get any further confirmation, I am assuming this is still the case in pCARS2.

sylekta
28-02-2018, 00:58
Ok cool, I understand now. Thanks :)

STEELJOCKEY
28-02-2018, 01:20
Interesting. So to confirm, I am in Australia. I choose real weather, racing at Long Beach. Say here it is summer, but Long Beach is winter. Games takes weather at the time I start my race session, from Australia, or Long Beach, and takes into account the season at the race location?

sylekta
28-02-2018, 01:26
it takes your time, and then converts to local long beach time, and uses the current weather there at that time

and the season is also whatever it is at the track at that date

so if you started a game right now, it would be winter, cloudy and chance of rain

STEELJOCKEY
28-02-2018, 01:34
Including temperature? If I set my Long Beach race at 1pm, but it is currently 6pm in real time at Long Beach, what temperature would the game try to use, real current, or adjust for session time of day?

sylekta
28-02-2018, 01:53
Including temperature? If I set my Long Beach race at 1pm, but it is currently 6pm in real time at Long Beach, what temperature would the game try to use, real current, or adjust for session time of day?

I dont think so, cause if you start a race and in real time its the middle of the night and raining, and you set the race start time to be 2PM, it should be much hotter than it is currently in the middle of the night

In that scenario i believe the weather would be raining (with real weather) but it must use historical data to set the temperature to be more realistic for what it would be in middle of the day

Mahjik
28-02-2018, 02:51

IIRC, it will use whatever the 3rd Party reports back for that specific time. After that, the weather uses an in-game "forecast" for the rest of the race (which may or may not be what actually took place if you are running races that are either long or accelerated time). If the 3rd Party does not have that information, PC2 will use a default.

M. -VIPER- Morgan
28-02-2018, 06:55
What of the weather information is used? Amount of rain, clouds, wind direction and speed, air pressure, temperatures?
I tested Oschersleben and Hockenheim yesterday with Current Date (27.02.), Real Weather and checked the temperatures night and day time.
In game it was +6°C midday and ca. +4°C at night on both tracks.
In reality Oschersleben at night -13°C and -3°C midday.
Hockenheim -9°C at night and -3°C midday. In Result completely wrong, even if the time zone wouldn't fit.
Weather was clear in game and reality.

I don't know if Real Weather was completely not working or only the temperatures, because clear weather was default if Real Weather was not working and I didn't check other information like wind speed etc.
It seems the game used the long term mid values, which are included in the game and not real temperature data.

Further how gets the game the information? Is the game polling the 3rd party weather API via Internet directly. If yes a local firewall can prevent the polling for example.
Or is it working via a Steam Service or a SMS service as a kind of proxy?

Because of the problems it would help if some of the devs can explain how it works exactly and what variables for which dates and times (past/future/current day, is there a difference between) are used from the weather data provider. And of course which provider it is for comparing the data.

Thx.

PostBox981
28-02-2018, 07:43
I believe the game uses the temp values from that hidden spreadsheet in the background plus weather data from the internet.

Last Sunday I raced at Oschersleben with current date and time plus real weather. It started clear (when it was clear and sunny outside my window as well) and after some 15 mins it changed to light snow, though temps were around +10°C. I live about 200 km west of Oschersleben and when I took my Rift off it started with light snow outside of my home as well. :cool: That was a really amazing moment, I couldn´t care less about those temps that don´t really fit with snow. Hate to say it, but hey, it´s a game. Works perfectly for me! :yes::yes::yes:

Mahjik
28-02-2018, 13:18
Further how gets the game the information? Is the game polling the 3rd party weather API via Internet directly. If yes a local firewall can prevent the polling for example.

It's using a 3rd party library so yes, a firewall could possibly block the API call thus making PC2 use some default weather 'guestimate'. No information was every provided exactly how that worked (you are a WMD2 member, so you can search the WMD2 forums even though they are read only).

F1_Racer68
28-02-2018, 13:59
@mahjik

Can anyone tell us who the 3rd party provider is? I have been asking in several places, but have yet to receive confirmation.

The main reason I ask is so that we know what 3rd party site to look at when planning for our races. As you know, if you go to 4 different websites for a weather forecast, you will get 4 different forecasts :D

Mahjik
28-02-2018, 14:34
@mahjik

Can anyone tell us who the 3rd party provider is? I have been asking in several places, but have yet to receive confirmation.

The main reason I ask is so that we know what 3rd party site to look at when planning for our races. As you know, if you go to 4 different websites for a weather forecast, you will get 4 different forecasts :D

To my knowledge, the details were never provided. I caveat that with "to my knowledge" in case another WMD member saw something I missed, which is likely. During WMD, there is a lot of information going on so it's hard to keep up on every area.

M. -VIPER- Morgan
28-02-2018, 14:42
If it is like you say and the game polls the weather API directly, then there is a chance to find it out.
Because you can run wireshark or network monitor and check with which IP addresses the game communicates.
It is maybe like finding the needle in a haystack, because there should be much traffic because of Steam. But it should be possible.

And further if this traffic is unencrypted we can maybe find out which information is in such a reply. If the game uses all this information is another question. But if temperatures are not included for example, then it is clear that they are not used.

Mahjik
28-02-2018, 14:57
Yes, you can run a Wireshark capture and see what outgoing calls are happening. I'm not suggesting it as most people aren't willing to capture their own traffic and try to find that needle in the haystack. ;)

poirqc
28-02-2018, 16:02
Yes, you can run a Wireshark capture and see what outgoing calls are happening. I'm not suggesting it as most people aren't willing to capture their own traffic and try to find that needle in the haystack. ;)

Wireshark filters do wonder to find things :)

Also, starting a capture as soon as the game do it's thing might be a good thing to limit the amount of traffic it give.

Also, i'm sure 99% that they coded a dns entry and not a static IP. Witch means that sorting by dns first might be a good thing to point in the right direction. After that it's only a matter of filtering by IP.

You can also automatically sort by TCP sequence. It'll be easier to check the conversation.

Mahjik
28-02-2018, 16:22
Wireshark filters do wonder to find things :)

Yep, well aware (I use it a lot for work). It's not something for the common user but feel free to capture your traffic share your analysis with the forum.

poirqc
28-02-2018, 16:48
Yep, well aware (I use it a lot for work). It's not something for the common user but feel free to capture your traffic share your analysis with the forum.

Yeah, for sure, wireshark isn't particularly easy to use without background knowledge.

I'll admit that i'm a fraud and won't do that anaylisis. I barely have time to race. Won't spend my small lesuire time to figure the weather system out! :D

M. -VIPER- Morgan
28-02-2018, 17:02
And here it comes - the reverse engineering:

I captured the traffic with network monitor, because it maps the traffic to the processes. Then it was easy to find the weather requests, because there was not much traffic from the pCARS2.exe.
The game polls the IP address 95.85.63.65.
If you open it in a browser the URL changes to http://openweathermap.org/api.

The capture further shows the requested URL. If I open it, it returns xml style data.
I tested Red Bull Ring GP, 28.02. 20:00 and the site returns the following:

<current>
<city id="2779506" name="Flatschach">
<coord lon="14.76" lat="47.22"/>
<country>AT</country>
<sun rise="2018-02-28T05:41:58" set="2018-02-28T16:45:29"/>
</city>
<temperature value="264.14" min="263.15" max="265.15" unit="kelvin"/>
<humidity value="52" unit="%"/>
<pressure value="1015" unit="hPa"/>
<wind>
<speed value="2.1" name="Light breeze"/>
<gusts/>
<direction value="180" code="S" name="South"/>
</wind>
<clouds value="0" name="clear sky"/>
<visibility/>
<precipitation mode="no"/>
<weather number="800" value="clear sky" icon="01n"/>
<lastupdate value="2018-02-28T17:20:00"/>
</current>

EDIT:
The game shows the following weather data:

The temperature and wind information are not used, 264 kelvin from API = -9,15 °C, in game +7°C.
Wind information from API light breeze from South, in game 6kph from North West.

Mahjik
28-02-2018, 17:11
I'm assuming it's just JSON over HTTP, which would mean ports shouldn't be an issue (i.e. firewall blocking).

M. -VIPER- Morgan
28-02-2018, 17:18
I'm assuming it's just JSON over HTTP, which would mean ports shouldn't be an issue (i.e. firewall blocking).

It is a simple HTTP GET over Port 80 TCP. The browser interprets it as XML structure.
Further the requests happen at the moment if I change the track in the Custom Event. Also if the weather setting is not on Real Weather. That means the Real Weather is always requested from the openweathermap API, but only used if I set it on Real Weather.

PostBox981
28-02-2018, 17:37
I don´t understand most of what you´re talking about, but... any idea of how often real weather gets refreshed within a session? :confused:

Bealdor
28-02-2018, 17:43
I don´t understand most of what you´re talking about, but... any idea of how often real weather gets refreshed within a session? :confused:

If it's handled like in PCARS 1, not at all.
It loads the parameters at the start of the event and sets the weather slots according to the conditions it received.

banner77amc
28-02-2018, 17:46
Just to throw this out there... Catalunya is currently snowing and has ice on the track for F1 testing.

See if it confirms this current slate of fun?

PostBox981
28-02-2018, 17:49
It loads the parameters at the start of the event and sets the weather slots according to the conditions it received.

Hmm. If you see my post further up... I started Oschersleben on Sunday in clear weather (free practice iirc) and it changed to light snow after some ten or fifteen mins. Hope this was not a bug. :rolleyes:

Bealdor
28-02-2018, 17:52
Hmm. If you see my post further up... I started Oschersleben on Sunday in clear weather (free practice iirc) and it changed to light snow after some ten or fifteen mins. Hope this was not a bug. :rolleyes:

That's because it's pulling the weather forecast data too. But it doesn't check for weather updates during your session.
At least, that's how it worked win PCARS 1.

M. -VIPER- Morgan
28-02-2018, 17:55

Cannot say, this needs more testing. I didn't start the race in my test.
But if I have more time I can repeat my test and watch the network capture during a longer race and check if there are requests to the weather API.

EDIT:
But I think it is like Bealdor described it. The API returns forecast data, too. And it is likely that they are use the forecast instead of polling every 15 min for example.

F1_Racer68
28-02-2018, 18:57

Good assumption.....

https://openweathermap.org/api

sylekta
28-02-2018, 19:37

it would have setup your weather slots as clear>cloudy>snow or something like that, based on the forecast data

great work on the network analysis @M. -VIPER- Morgan

F1_Racer68
28-02-2018, 20:00
And here it comes - the reverse engineering:

I captured the traffic with network monitor, because it maps the traffic to the processes. Then it was easy to find the weather requests, because there was not much traffic from the pCARS2.exe.
The game polls the IP address 95.85.63.65.
If you open it in a browser the URL changes to http://openweathermap.org/api.

The capture further shows the requested URL. If I open it, it returns xml style data.
I tested Red Bull Ring GP, 28.02. 20:00 and the site returns the following:

<current>
<city id="2779506" name="Flatschach">
<coord lon="14.76" lat="47.22"/>
<country>AT</country>
<sun rise="2018-02-28T05:41:58" set="2018-02-28T16:45:29"/>
</city>
<temperature value="264.14" min="263.15" max="265.15" unit="kelvin"/>
<humidity value="52" unit="%"/>
<pressure value="1015" unit="hPa"/>
<wind>
<speed value="2.1" name="Light breeze"/>
<gusts/>
<direction value="180" code="S" name="South"/>
</wind>
<clouds value="0" name="clear sky"/>
<visibility/>
<precipitation mode="no"/>
<weather number="800" value="clear sky" icon="01n"/>
<lastupdate value="2018-02-28T17:20:00"/>
</current>

EDIT:
The game shows the following weather data:

The temperature and wind information are not used, 264 kelvin from API = -9,15 °C, in game +7°C.
Wind information from API light breeze from South, in game 6kph from North West.

Thanks for this. Was going to hit it with WireShark myself as soon I was done work. You just saved me that time. :applause:

Still don't know why I didn't think of that myself..... DOH!! :stupid:

F1_Racer68
28-02-2018, 20:19

Bealdor, do you know if the weather conditions "reset" at the start of each session, or do they progress through the various sessions (Practice, Qualifying, Race)?

Bealdor
01-03-2018, 04:37
No idea, sorry.
Haven't tried real weather for a long time.

Purg
01-03-2018, 05:30
Tried similar to above with a netstat -b before I read the post. I couldn't find pCARS process polling the same IP (it flashed a 111 network before I could record it) and my 'real weather' appears to be on the fritz at the moment.

If I set the time/date to 2017 Bathurst race last year which started in the wet, I get clear. In fact, any date I choose I get clear.

If I set the time to September at Knockhill, I get snow.. set several other dates, still snow.

M. -VIPER- Morgan
01-03-2018, 06:42
Tried similar to above with a netstat -b before I read the post. I couldn't find pCARS process polling the same IP (it flashed a 111 network before I could record it) and my 'real weather' appears to be on the fritz at the moment.

If I set the time/date to 2017 Bathurst race last year which started in the wet, I get clear. In fact, any date I choose I get clear.

If I set the time to September at Knockhill, I get snow.. set several other dates, still snow.

I can say that the polling happen at the moment when you press the Select button in the Track selection screen in a Custom Event for example.
If I have a little bit more time I will check a complete race weekend with Practice and Qualifying and check with the Microsoft Network Monitor, which I used for my test, if there are more requests to the weather API.

If they are really used by the game is another question, but it could be an indicator.

Purg
01-03-2018, 08:26
I grabbed an app that analyses at real time to check if PC2 is establishing a connection during track selection. Doing a netstat in a command line after entering the game is a bit hit and miss.

I still don't seem to be able to get real weather at the moment, though. Have tried 1st day of the month for the whole year at Knockhill and it's snow every day.

F1_Racer68
01-03-2018, 11:08
No idea, sorry.
Haven't tried real weather for a long time.

Thanks. I'll be doing some extensive testing of it over the next few weeks as we prepare for our next season, so I'll try and remember to post results here.

poirqc
01-03-2018, 12:08
I grabbed an app that analyses at real time to check if PC2 is establishing a connection during track selection. Doing a netstat in a command line after entering the game is a bit hit and miss.

I still don't seem to be able to get real weather at the moment, though. Have tried 1st day of the month for the whole year at Knockhill and it's snow every day.

Before doing a netstat -ao, open up task manager and go to the detail tab, you'll see the project cars 2 PID. Afterwards, you'll see all open connections with their corresponding PID #.

The connections are sorted by IP so be sure to check the whole list.

Asturbo
16-03-2018, 08:20
Anybody could confirm if real weather is working? In the last 3 races, we always have clear weather and high temps.

Yesterday, previous the race, I conected to a web page and in Sugo was cloudy and 5ºC, but we have clear weather and 20ºC during the whole race.

Bealdor
16-03-2018, 08:24
Anybody could confirm if real weather is working? In the last 3 races, we always have clear weather and high temps.

Yesterday, previous the race, I conected to a web page and in Sugo was cloudy and 5ºC, but we have clear weather and 20ºC during the whole race.

Sounds like connectivity issues. Clear weather is the default choice when the game can't connect to the weather API.

Asturbo
16-03-2018, 08:34
Sounds like connectivity issues. Clear weather is the default choice when the game can't connect to the weather API.
Yep, may be. But how we know if we have received the weather data or we are running with default clear?

I think we need an aditional message, of "live weather data received" or "live weather data unavalible" to know if the system is working or not.

Bealdor
16-03-2018, 08:39
Yep, may be. But how we know if we have received the weather data or we are running with default clear?

I think we need an aditional message, of "live weather data received" or "live weather data unavalible" to know if the system is working or not.

You could check the current weather for your track at openweathermap.org (http://openweathermap.org/).
An additional message would be the optimal solution of course.

jan.ringas
16-03-2018, 08:47

This would really be nice - additionally the type of weather forecast that has been received could/should be displayed, too.

Asturbo
16-03-2018, 08:51
You could check the current weather for your track at openweathermap.org (http://openweathermap.org/).
Yes, thats what we've done yesterday, and the weather was different. But I don't know if doesn't work for this specific location, or is the same for all circuits.
That's why I'm asking if is working for any of you...

An additional message would be the optimal solution of course.
additionally the type of weather forecast that has been received could/should be displayed, too.
Agree with both.

The main problem is that if Rear Weather always means clear weather, and Random Weather always means rain (link (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61561-Random-weather-Too-much-rain)), we don't have many options...

jan.ringas
16-03-2018, 09:01
(...)
The main problem is that if Rear Weather always means clear weather, and random weather always means rain, we don't have many options...

Actually I had Real Weather working in the last weeks (didn't play in the recent days due to lack of time), at least I experienced different types of weather with it enabled (light/heavy rain, light/medium clouds), so it did work for me.

But it would really be nice to know for sure whether Real Weather works in the current playing session or not and what weather data was actually received.
This would allow me to choose another track if the current Real Weather doesn't fit my mood ("Oh no, it's raining at the Nürburgring? I'll visit Laguna Seca, then").

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 09:03
In our's yesterday race, in Mount Panorama with real weather, we start with cloudy, then snow and then clear.

In Australia the autum just begun and in yesterday weather reports, the temp was arround 14ºC and cloud with a probability of rain.

Is this normal with real weather in a race of 20 laps (aprox 50 minutes)? It's very strange with real weather (if it works), 3 very different weathers in 50' and one of them of snow.

Bealdor
23-03-2018, 09:15
In our's yesterday race, in Mount Panorama with real weather, we start with cloudy, then snow and then clear.

In Australia the autum just begun and in yesterday weather reports, the temp was arround 14ºC and cloud with a probability of rain.

Is this normal with real weather in a race of 20 laps (aprox 50 minutes)? It's very strange with real weather (if it works), 3 very different weathers in 50' and one of them of snow.

What race date did you choose?
What was your time progression setting?

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 09:26
It was actual date. Anyway from other post I understand that with real weather option, the date in game has no effects, with I'm not sure.

Te weather progresion was in real and we play with DS.

Arazok
23-03-2018, 09:32
Hi, stupid question: Is the real weather option available on all platforms, especially PS4 ?

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 09:40
Hi, stupid question: Is the real weather option available on all platforms, especially PS4 ?
No, I think it's only avaliable in PC

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 11:18
What race date did you choose?
What was your time progression setting?

Bealdor, some example of the weird thing that happens when I try to use real weather in online:

A small resume:

When I select Real Weather, always receive 4 slots. Could be the forecast loaded from internet, I don't know if it works in this way, but the slots usually are different.
When I set “Real Weather”, the track changes itself to the track of my previous online race (after selecting the real weather option and the save button)
The date usually changes also, probably to date of the previous online session.
I receive also snow slots that are not real neither programed in the DS. I don't know where the came from specially at the end of march.

Looks that the save option isn’t working or real weather breaks something and returns to values of weather and track of other previous session.

This video was recorded in a DS session, but after that I’ve tried with a session created from my computer and same strange thing still happens all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-OkFU8HSc&amp;feature=youtu.be
(May be too fast play it at 0.5x)

bluenoes
23-03-2018, 11:26
Same thing happening with me on peer to peer

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 11:38
Same thing happening with me on peer to peer
Thanks for confirm. I was thinking in delete my profile to check if it was corrupt.

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 17:49
And another one. After yesterday's race, I notice that I've lost reputation points (disastrous race), but that was impossible because I've disabled license in the server.

I tried to reproduce it. The same issues of previous video: snow with real weather in Walkings Glen, 4 weather slots that I changed again to real weather, snow again, the track changes itself to another one... And the new one, after changing to real weather the online reputation was activated. I don't know if any other parameters of the session was also changed. This is one of these times that Project Cars 2 leaves me speechless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_w3mBiQpQ

F1_Racer68
23-03-2018, 17:51
@Asturbo

In preparation for our upcoming season, I ran a test race last night at Red Bull Ring using Sunday's date (March 25th, 2018). With real weather settings, I received exactly the weather that it was last night at Red Bull Ring. The system definitely uses the CURRENT weather at that location, rather than "future forecasted weather".

The weather was exactly what openweathermap.org was showing for the current weather/upcoming weather for the next few hours. My settings were as follows:

Race Date - 23, March, 2018
Time Acceleration x2
Practice session - 50 minutes - 11:00 track time
Qualifying session - 40 minutes - 12:00 track time
Race session - 90 minutes - 13:00 track time

The weather I received was identical to the weather shown for last night (20:30 EDT, 22 March, 2018)

Practice session, clear (59F) turning to snow near end of session (52F)
Qualifying session, snow (52F) to snow (49F)
Race session, snow (49F) to snow (41F)

Temps shown above are TRACK temp. Ambient temp was slightly cooler.

So, in my opinion, Real Weather is WORKING, but you MUST remember that it uses CURRENT conditions at that location, NOT future forecast conditions. The 4 slots that you are the 4 assigned slots based on the pulled data from the site, since it can pull several hours worth of "upcoming" conditions. I think each slot corresponds to each 3 hour increment that it pulls from the site, but that is purely a guess on my part.

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 18:00
Hi @F1_Racer68 and thanks for the info.

I don't know of what it depends, but I think that in online sessions my lobby gets weird when I select real weather (weather slots changes, track changes to other one, license status change...). It's not a problem of the weather data not accurate, because I think that the real weather is not really activated in the session. May be an UI problem or a combination of parameters that corrupts the session. It you see the videos I get 4 slots with different weathers when setting weather to real, and that's what I think is wrong because it changes session to session (or not working for me by some reason).

When I try offline races, real weather looks right for me (the same way as you describe) and the weather is the same as I see in openweathermap.org, so the comunication with the weather server works and I receive accurate data. But in online I notice many weird things (see my last video with the license status & track changing). Looks that the real weather is not set correctly because is different when I enter the first time to the lobby and when I select real again, and also different to RW in offline session (here looks working). It happens the same in P2P, so it's not a faulty parameter in the DS.

F1_Racer68
23-03-2018, 18:21
Hi @F1_Racer68

I don't know of what it depends, but I think that in online sessions my lobby gets weird when I select real weather (weather slots, track change to other one, license status change...). It's not a problem of the weather data not accurate, because I think that the real weather is not really activated. May be an UI problem or a combination of parameters that corrupts the session. It you see the videos I get 4 slots with different weathers when setting to real weather, and that's what I think is wrong (or not working for me by some reason).

When I try offline races, real weather looks right for me (the same way as you describe), but in online I notice many weird things (see my last video with the license status change). In P2P happens the same, so it's not a faulty parameter in the DS.

I assume you have done a "Validate files" within Steam? What your video shows is definitely very strange... It might be time for a fresh install if the Validate doesn't fix it.

Asturbo
23-03-2018, 18:26
I assume you have done a "Validate files" within Steam? What your video shows is definitely very strange... It might be time for a fresh install if the Validate doesn't fix it.
The problem happens also to the rest of the players of my league if they create the lobby in P2P. I made a fresh install of S.O. and PC2 two weeks ago. I don't know if something saved in our profiles from a previous race is corrupted for all of us, and is causing those effects. It's specially weird that changing to RW the circuit changes to the circuit of the previous online race. Something wrong saving data or in the UI not showing the right info. I'll try deleting the local profile to see what happens. Thanks anyway for your comments.

PS: Files validated, profile deleted, with same result.

Asturbo
24-03-2018, 09:44
Update:

Setting weather to real in the lobby also changes other things. I create a lobby with different parameters, then I log to the DS. When I change the weather to real, looks that every thing resets to previos online session parameters. It's exactly like when you save weather options, instead of that, it loads the parameters of the previous online session. It changes the track, the car and other lobby options. In this new video, the session is in Walkings Glen with the F50 and damage affects performance. When I select Real Weather and save, the car changes to Back Mono, the circuit to Sneterton, and damage to visual. All these parameters was from previous online session. Other parameters as force interior view, allowed assists, cooldown lap also changed. Probably other parameters also would change if it was different in the previous online race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvbuwt6aZYs

The workarround if found is starting the session without touching weather (need to start at least practice). Then exit and log again. In this case if I change the weather, how the previous session was with the parameters I need, I get the right config, even if I change weather options.

Slawek_9
24-03-2018, 15:17
how to know the real forecast for a track? Is there a website? Thanks

Asturbo
24-03-2018, 15:33
The data of the real weather is obtained from www.openweathermap.org

Bealdor
24-03-2018, 18:59
Update:

Setting weather to real in the lobby also changes other things. I create a lobby with different parameters, then I log to the DS. When I change the weather to real, looks that every thing resets to previos online session parameters. It's exactly like when you save weather options, instead of that, it loads the parameters of the previous online session. It changes the track, the car and other lobby options. In this new video, the session is in Walkings Glen with the F50 and damage affects performance. When I select Real Weather and save, the car changes to Back Mono, the circuit to Sneterton, and damage to visual. All these parameters was from previous online session. Other parameters as force interior view, allowed assists, cooldown lap also changed. Probably other parameters also would change if it was different in the previous online race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvbuwt6aZYs

The workarround if found is starting the session without touching weather (need to start at least practice). Then exit and log again. In this case if I change the weather, how the previous session was with the parameters I need, I get the right config, even if I change weather options.

Forwarded...

Asturbo
24-03-2018, 19:30
Forwarded...
Thank Bealdor.

Other curious think I've just observed in the video is that the circuit changes to Snetterton, but the background image of the track, is still Watkins Glen with the caracteristic fences.

Juhu_0815
08-04-2018, 15:22
Do we know how PCars2 calls the openweathermap api? By cityid or by gps coprdinates?

konji
17-04-2018, 17:10
So i want only confirmation how PC2 fills up weather slot.
Red numbers - Practice
Green numbers - Quali
Grey numbers - Race

Is it correct? (red 2 is described as clear sky at openweather)

MaXyM
17-04-2018, 20:08
In response of Konji's findings, I attempted to sniff network communication between PC2 and mentioned IP: 95.85.63.65.
It seems the game calls the weather API when you set real time weather in session settings or change the track.
API is called twice: for current weather and for 8 weather slots. 8 slots means 8 forecast data at every 3 hours. In my particular case, I was starting the game somewhere about 18:30. The game got forecast data for 18:00, 21:00, 00:00 and so forth.

So far I did quick test with single player AI event. I noticed no any additional calls to API during 30 min practice, 45 min qual nor even at race start.

I really have no idea how we can get real weather. While weather at a start of the first session might be considered real, further transitions are just a fake. In better case those might be in-time compressed representation of weather changes forecasted for next 12 hours.

How it does work is very important when preparing to the race. For example, if race length is 1 hour length, but 5 hours after the race will rain (keep in mind those 8 3-hours weather slots loaded from weather service), will rain happen in race? Or weather progression is realistic time-wise?

Edit: From what Konji said, 4 weather slots are being set for each session. Which does mean, if you go for 1 hour race, you will experience 4 weather "slots", in reality predicted for incoming 12 hours. Isn't it lame?

Ahh BTW: all game instances uses the same APPID for API calls. Since it seems PC2 is using free of charge service, the API might be easily over-flooded resulting in temporary ban. My guess is, it is what did happen a few months ago, resulting in clear weather for every one trying real weather.

Asturbo
17-04-2018, 21:00
Very interesting...

Mahjik
17-04-2018, 21:03
So far I did quick test with single player AI event. I noticed no any additional calls to API during 30 min practice, 45 min qual nor even at race start.

PC2 only calls the API once for the session. It gets the current weather and then does a forecast for the rest of the duration of the race session. It does not dynamically update the weather as the session continues based on the API.

MaXyM
17-04-2018, 21:07
I would like to be like you say but I already proven it's not true.
PC2 calls API only once when you are setting the event. Not any more. At least not in case of single player race event.

And if you missed the point, It cannot effectively predict weather, since it gets forecast for 3-hours time-spans. How can you predict a forecast of 2 hours race started at 18:00 while weather data are for 18:00 and 21:00?

Another point (Konji's experience, who was using DS started with -searchds). Referring to what he said to me, after connecting to lobby, all 4 slots of weather forecast are filled with data which match weather progression available on openweathermap site. It does mean, for 1 hour race, drivers will experience 12 hours of real live weather. Of course if weather progression will be set to "sync to race". If is set to "Real time", 1 slot is equal to about 1 hour (again referring to Konji). Which is still unrealistic, because there is not such resolution in weather data taken from API. So effectively, one 1-hour slot contains 3 hours of weather from real life.

Just look at his image. Example event has 1 hour of practice, 1 hour of qual and then race. Then look at hours on openweathermap weather graph. How many hours has been marked for each session? Something is not totally misaligned.

Mahjik
17-04-2018, 21:41
I would like to be like you say but I already proven it's not true.

This is from WMD.

It uses current weather for the first 3 hours of the race and then we put in forecasts for the next 24 hours and hold at the final state if it time goes over 24 hours.

MaXyM
17-04-2018, 21:52
I agree it could be acceptable even for the price of non-changeable weather during single race (at least a race shorter than 3 hours). We will keep trying to confirm that.

But since you were mentioning the race, what about pre-race sessions: practice and qual? As you can see on Konji's example, there is huge time difference in predicted weather for practice, qual and race. Maybe it's due to some specific settings (for example time acceleration).
I could imagine, mentioned by you real weather should be applied first 3 hours of the event (not race it self), including practice, qual and race if applicable due to sessions length.

Mahjik
17-04-2018, 21:59
Keep in mind, I used the term "session", and I used that specifically. I believe the weather is calculated per session & time (not pre-calc'd for the entire event).

Since you can set the time of day for each session, I believe it does a 'forecast' at the beginning of each session. I don't have anything that backs that up specifically.

MaXyM
17-04-2018, 23:18
I set practice to 11am, qual to 12am, and race to 1pm and registered only 2 subsequent API calls, immediately after selecting weather/track (before loading the track):
1. one call for current weather
2. one call for eight 3-hour slots of the forecast

There were no further calls, for example on session change.

It could be considered enough for my particular example.
But it also contradicts the statement that each session start is backed up with 3 hours of current weather from API.

BTW No information about time is passed to weather API. Always current+future weather is requested.

There are urls of API calls for Silverstone (I removed APPID value intentionally:

http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?lat=52.07&lon=-1.02&mode=xml&APPID=
http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?lat=52.07&lon=-1.02&mode=xml&cnt=8&APPID=

F1_Racer68
17-04-2018, 23:25
Just to add to this, it also does NOT pull any temperature data. Only the "conditions" data. In game temperatures are still based on an extrapolated "normal" temperature for that date/season.

This leads to a lot of confusion as drivers are looking at the weather forecast, but really have no idea what temperatures to expect the day of the race.

MaXyM
17-04-2018, 23:33
In game temperatures are still based on an extrapolated "normal" temperature for that date/season.

... date and time to be more precise.
Also wind is ignored (both direction and speed).

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 00:52
It seems like it's doing exactly as the quote from the SMS developer said it's doing.

Juhu_0815
18-04-2018, 04:41
Did you see how PCars2 calls the openweathermap api? By cityid or by gps coprdinates?

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 06:18
coordinates, see urls I posted

Juhu_0815
18-04-2018, 07:01
coordinates, see urls I posted
Thanks, overlooked it before.

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 08:19
It seems like it's doing exactly as the quote from the SMS developer said it's doing.

No, it doesn't do exactly what developer said. There is a difference between "race" (mentioned by him) and "event" (proven by me). I know I'm picky right now but we need as precise as possible description of this feature.

Now I'm thinking about rerouting API's IP address to my http server to provide some manually prepared weather data. It would give exact answers how this functionality work. Especially time progression wise.

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 09:03
There is another thing to consider: how this feature works in MP mode.
Once you create a lobby, all available weather slots are filled. It seems that at this stage there is no dynamic behavior anymore. Weather forecast is fixed into available weather slots. In case of 3 sessions: practice, qual, race, we are talking about 12 weather slots.

based on @konji's experiment those slots are filled as follows (C - current weather, S1-S8 weather slots from API):
Practice: C, S1, S2, S2
Qualification: S2, S3, S4, S4
Race: S4, S5, S6, S6

What is most important in this case is what I'm repeating again and again: each weather slot taken from API covers 3 hours interval.
It means, that starting the event at 7pm:
- weather applied at beginning of qualification is taken from 2nd openweathermap forecast slot, effectively equals to 7pm + (3h up to 6h)
- weather applied at beginning of race is taken from 4th openweathermap forecast slot, effectively equals to 7pm + (9h up to 12h)

regardless pre-race sessions length!

Mentioned ranges, for example (3h up to 6h) are my guess due to the fact that openweathermap API provides forecast for fixed intervals: 3am, 6am, 9am etc... so depending on interval between current time and forecast time slots the result might differ. For example real weather matches beginning of 3-hour slot vs the end of the slot. But it depends on implementation in PC2.

Long story short, people preparing to the race have to check forecast for race time + 9hours. I think we can all agree, if true it would be then considered as serious bug.

Now, If we are totally off, I would expect some developer to take a voice straighten things up.

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 13:16
No, it doesn't do exactly what developer said. There is a difference between "race" (mentioned by him) and "event" (proven by me). I know I'm picky right now but we need as precise as possible description of this feature.

Keep in mind that not everyone is a native English speaker, so some words used may not always be the exact one for the situation. Also, I didn't post the entire thread as that statement was in response to a specific question to it was taken out of context but it provided an overall comment on how the system works to backup your research.

Long story short, people preparing to the race have to check forecast for race time + 9hours. I think we can all agree, if true it would be then considered as serious bug.

It's not a bug. It's just not working the way you would like (or thought).

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 13:27
It's not a bug. It's just not working the way you would like (or thought).

Try to explain it to every single driver who tracks forecast for incoming race time, while in fact he should look at completely different time range.
If feature is named: real weather, it's natural we expect about real weather during race. If the projected weather has nothing to do with selected time - it's not real anymore. And then it's a bug.
Or maybe you claim that looking for forecast for 5am is something obvious in case of race at 7pm a day before?

I wanted someone to say: your findings are wrong. Do it this way to make it right. If you are confirming that the system behaves as I described - then it works wrong way. it's obvious to anyone who is trying to use it.

Bealdor
18-04-2018, 13:34
Try to explain it every single driver who tracks forecast for incoming race time, while in fact he should look at completely different time range.
If feature is named: real weather, it's natural we expect about real weather during race. If the projected weather has nothing to do with selected time - it's not real anymore. And then it's a bug.
Or maybe you claim that looking for forecast for 5am is something obvious in case of race at 7pm a day before?

Nobody said you can't criticise how it works but when it's working as designed it's not a bug.

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 13:36
If feature is named: real weather, it's natural we expect about real weather during race.

There is what you expect, and there is what is implemented. A bug is something not working as design. If SMS designed it this way (and it appears they did), then it is working as designed. However, that doesn't mean it's working as "desired" from a user perspective but that's not a bug.

Now that this topic has surfaced, I do remember the discussions around this during PC1. Real Weather only and always gets the current "weather" regardless of time set (and then the rest is forecasted). What was never communicated is how much of the data from the API is used and for what inside of the Madness engine. I doubt that detail will ever be communicated outside of SMS.

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 13:44
Mahjik, problem is that it has nothing to do with forecast.
In our case forecast data is used to create some progression of weather. Different from real, not related to race time progression. Therefore, besides it is intentionally or not - it is not real weather and shouldn't be named like this. Period.

If you start a race preceded by two 15-minutes practice and qual sessions, and the race is getting weather which in reality is forecasted to come in 9 hours.... it has nothing to do with forecast.

Nobody said you can't criticise how it works but when it's working as designed it's not a bug.

Please prove it works as designed. If it's indeed working as designed, no one should call it "real weather" (incl. designer himself) because it has nothing to do with it. The only realistic thing is the weather at the moment of event start (actually at event setting up). Once you change the session to next one, it is not real weather anymore.

I would have been OK with this particular design if this functionality had described to us. But SMS left us with a feeling it's real while it is obviously not.

Main problem is that people seeing "real weather" name, are confident to use weather forecast to prepare to the race. But in result they are getting completely different weather. At this point it really doesn't matter if it works as designed or not. For those drivers who expect real weather, the name of the feature is misleading and the feature is useless for them being effectively comparable to random weather.

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 13:55
Please prove it works as designed. If it's indeed working as designed, it shouldn't be then named "real weather" because it has nothing to do with it. The only realistic thing is the weather at the moment of event start (actually at event setting up). Once you change the session to next one, it is not real weather anymore.

MaXyM, I don't have to prove anything to you. This is not a soup kitchen and no one on this forum owes you anything.

The fact that you assumed a feature worked one way and discovered it didn't work that way doesn't make something a bug. That's not how software development works. You may not like how something is labeled, that's not a bug. Call it what you like, however don't assume the developers will agree with you (this is coming from someone who worked in software development for 21 years). You may not like how it works and SMS may update it in a future release. However, I highly doubt they'll see your conclusion as a "bug".

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 14:07
I was asking you for to prove it, because it's you (not developer) who said it is not bug and it works as designed. I have no idea you were asking devs for comments on it or it's just your thoughts (my bet is the latter)

And it's not about what I like or not. I'm reporting an issue based on assumption created by feature name. If something is called "red" I'm expecting it's indeed red. But if I get blue I'm reporting wrong label or wrong color. If button is labeled "Options" but directs me to "About" section I report it to be a bug, even if you would try to convince me it's how it has been developed therefore it's not a bug.

So if I may ask you for a favor, please pass this report to developers: In case of using practice and qual sessions prior to race, weather forecast for the race is off for about 9 hours.

If this statement represents properly "real weather" feature design, then OK.

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 14:10
I was asking you for to prove it, because it's you who said it is not bug and it works as designed. I have not idea you were asking devs for comments on it or it's just your thoughts (my bet is the latter)

It's working as the quote that was posted earlier.

And it's about what I like or not. I'm reporting an issue based on assumption created by feature name. Of something is called "red" but it's blue I'm reporting it as wrong labeled. If button is labeled "Options" but directs me to "About" section i reported it to be a bug, even if you would try to convince me it's design choice and work as developed.

Stop with the hyperboles.. This is not even in that realm.

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 14:21
It's working as the quote that was posted earlier.

I believe it should work like this.
We gave you a proof that it doesn't. What do you want more to change your mind, and pass this findings to devs?

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 14:27
We gave you a proof that it doesn't. What do you want more to change your mind, and pass this findings to devs?

What you posted is in line with what the dev posted.

Mahjik
18-04-2018, 14:31

What you posted is in line with what the dev posted (unless you get pedantic with terminology and the devs use of the word "race"). The devs aren't going to answer every single question every user has a query about.

If the statement read:

It uses current weather for the first 3 hours of the event and then we put in forecasts for the next 24 hours and hold at the final state if it time goes over 24 hours.

Would that change how you view your results?

MaXyM
18-04-2018, 15:06
What you posted is in line with what the dev posted (unless you get pedantic with terminology and the devs use of the word "race")

No need to be offensive. For racers it does matter. When solving issues it does even more. I'm surprised that anyone who work on racing game may have problem to distinguish such fundamental for racing terms.

It uses current weather for the first 3 hours of the event and then we put in forecasts for the next 24 hours and hold at the final state if it time goes over 24 hours.

Thank you for elaborating more.
In this form the statement is indeed closer to how this feature works. At least it turns true that a race will not get real weather if preceded by other sessions.
In this case there are only a few things worth to note (valuable for other players, I'm expecting programmers know that):
- pre-race sessions consumes 5 weather slots (current+4 of forecast) regardless session length. It means weather predicted for race beginning is always taken from several (6-9) hours ahead in future, regardless pre-race sessions length
- weather slots transits between each other faster than it is suggested by "weather progression: real time" option. Slots from openweathermap API covers 3 hours each. While in game they are progressing about 1 slot per hour.

IMO 2 changes would make this system more reliable:
1. weather shall be received from weather API at beginning of each session. Alternatively it shall use received forecast, taking the time spent on previous sessions into account.
2. time progression of in-game slots shall match time coverage of weather slots received from API. If API gives 3-hours slots, then such slot shall be "played" for 3 hours (of course in case of "weather progression: real time")

Hope it will help.

Drizute
18-04-2018, 16:59
No need to be offensive. For racers it does matter. When solving issues it does even more. I'm surprised that anyone who work on racing game may have problem to distinguish such fundamental for racing terms.

Thank you for elaborating more.
In this form the statement is indeed closer to how this feature works. At least it turns true that a race will not get real weather if preceded by other sessions.
In this case there are only a few things worth to note (valuable for other players, I'm expecting programmers know that):
- pre-race sessions consumes 5 weather slots (current+4 of forecast) regardless session length. It means weather predicted for race beginning is always taken from several (6-9) hours ahead in future, regardless pre-race sessions length
- weather slots transits between each other faster than it is suggested by "weather progression: real time" option. Slots from openweathermap API covers 3 hours each. While in game they are progressing about 1 slot per hour.

IMO 2 changes would make this system more reliable:
1. weather shall be received from weather API at beginning of each session. Alternatively it shall use received forecast, taking the time spent on previous sessions into account.
2. time progression of in-game slots shall match time coverage of weather slots received from API. If API gives 3-hours slots, then such slot shall be "played" for 3 hours (of course in case of "weather progression: real time")

Hope it will help.

Mahjik

I am sorry but I have to agree with Max. For e.g. Racing at a desert track, Dubai for example, if our race starts at 3pm, with a 45min qually, the "Real" weather you are getting is MUCH later than the prescribed 3pm. On this track that makes it late at night weather which in a desert means a 30-40 degree difference in temperature. When you have setup the system to be efficient at 112F track temp and what you get is 80F I can assure you that that makes a HUGE difference to the setup of an Aero and no Aero car for that matter. So different in fact that more than a few RAGE quit due to their inability to keep the car on the track.

So once again I agree with the findings, well done MAX, this clarifies the situation for us and enables us to better predict what is coming in a race.

The fact that you are being blown off by the MOD is both insulting and I feel a poor symptom of the effect the many issues that have arisen with this game.

From a racer, thanks for the data, always appreciated...For the MOD ... NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

(Yes I know temps are not carried through the API but one can wish right??)

Bealdor
18-04-2018, 17:05
Mahjik

I am sorry but I have to agree with Max. For e.g. Racing at a desert track, Dubai for example, if our race starts at 3pm, with a 45min qually, the "Real" weather you are getting is MUCH later than the prescribed 3pm. On this track that makes it late at night weather which in a desert means a 30-40 degree difference in temperature. When you have setup the system to be efficient at 112F track temp and what you get is 80F I can assure you that that makes a HUGE difference to the setup of an Aero and no Aero car for that matter. So different in fact that more than a few RAGE quit due to their inability to keep the car on the track.

So once again I agree with the findings, well done MAX, this clarifies the situation for us and enables us to better predict what is coming in a race.

The fact that you are being blown off by the MOD is both insulting and I feel a poor symptom of the effect the many issues that have arisen with this game.

From a racer, thanks for the data, always appreciated...For the MOD ... NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

(Yes I know temps are not carried through the API but one can wish right??)

When you know that temperatures aren't carried over why are you complaining that getting the weather for the wrong time of day has such a huge impact on this?

Drizute
18-04-2018, 18:22
When you know that temperatures aren't carried over why are you complaining that getting the weather for the wrong time of day has such a huge impact on this?

If I had substituted "rain" for temp, would that have been more accurate?

Mahjik
19-04-2018, 03:02

You really believe that SMS only looks at something reported by a mod? That is highly incorrect. SMS are on the forums reading messages all the time. What the mods do is try to highlight issues which are deemed urgent. There is quite a bit of activity on this forum so we try to highlight areas that need immediate attention. This is by far not urgent, nor is it really an "issue". It's a desire to know more about how something works. If SMS decides to provide more information in detail about how it's current implemented, they will do so. I will say that even that information wasn't posted in WMD.

MaXyM
19-04-2018, 07:27
This is by far not urgent, nor is it really an "issue".

I cannot decide about urgency but it's critical issue for all of us who were thinking that "real weather" mode is a representation of real weather. Maybe you are ok when something called "real weather" isn't even virtually close to real weather. Maybe you don't know that enabling this mode destroys people's races. Or maybe you don;t care.
Maybe you do think it's not important issue, because you don't want use this mode at all. Maybe there are other reasons behind. Then it would be more helpful to at least not lower the importance of the issue just by the fact you are not interested to "highlight" it.

It's a desire to know more about how something works.
I have no more any desire to know about hot it works. Thanks to lack of proper documentation and support, I debugged this functionality on my own. I spent some time and effort proving that the feature does not work as suggested by its name. Still being careful about what I found, I provided details to community asking anyone (incl SMS) to confirm my findings. I didn't ask you for your opinion if it is an issue or not. All users who have attempted to use it, know it is. In return, instead of being thankful, you provide offensive responses and attempts to convince me that something which doesn't work as described is in fact not an issue.

demand34
19-04-2018, 11:04
Some league arrangers begin to lose patience and faith on you guys fixing the still overwhelming number of issues plaguing pc2, whether they may be more or less critical ones. Not to mention the problems still persisten on dedicated servers.

It's been seven months and five patches already, and the picture begins to look like most issues can't be fixed at all.

Assetto Competizione is coming in a month and a half. I think you might began reconsidering to double on your efforts at truly fixing stuff, or frustration will end up winning the battle for the few of us that still support you SMS.

If you can not fix most of the stuff we still see broken seven months after, just admit it, let the game run its course and spare yourselves the effort you are supposed to be putting on fixing.., what can not be fixed at all.

It is too risky fixing some of the most glaring issues still revolving many areas of the game, right?, if you fix that stuff, some other things will get broken too.

I think you sms should forget about madness engine and jump in UE4. Yes, I know unreal is the jack of all trades and master of none, but if your current engine is truly modular, then you might perfectly port the current physics on to it without much trouble, and then thanks to the new engine fix all the extra stuff still messing around as you get used to it.

bluenoes
19-04-2018, 11:29
Just catching up on this thread, so, if I am reading everything correct, it appears to me that real weather is in fact, not real weather.

So, this means you can practice all you like for a league event based on weather forecasts, but come the day of the race, it may be completely different weather?

MaXyM
19-04-2018, 11:46
Correct.

Mahjik
19-04-2018, 13:55
Maybe you do think it's not important issue, because you don't want use this mode at all. Maybe there are other reasons behind. Then it would be more helpful to at least not lower the importance of the issue just by the fact you are not interested to "highlight" it.

Urgent/critical issues are ones that stop people from being able to use the product. i.e. crashes, freezes, not being able to connect online, and related items.. If it's not in those types of categories, it's not urgent. The definition of urgent/critical as zero to do with whether I or any moderator uses the function or not (and I do use it and used it in PC1). If everytime you enabled "Real Weather" it crashed the product, that would be urgent.

Just catching up on this thread, so, if I am reading everything correct, it appears to me that real weather is in fact, not real weather.

So, this means you can practice all you like for a league event based on weather forecasts, but come the day of the race, it may be completely different weather?

What it means is that if you use it for a league, it will be the "current weather at the time the race event starts". i.e. you won't necessarily be able to practice for the specific weather conditions before hand unless the track location has fairly consistent weather patterns..

However, that is actually what real life teams deal with so in a sense, it makes it more "real".

MaXyM
19-04-2018, 14:33
Urgent/critical issues are ones that stop people from being able to use the product. i.e. crashes, freezes, not being able to connect online, and related items.. If it's not in those types of categories, it's not urgent. The definition of urgent/critical as zero to do with whether I or any moderator uses the function or not (and I do use it and used it in PC1). If everytime you enabled "Real Weather" it crashed the product, that would be urgent.

If you consider that this feature in its current implementation is useless for what has been developed, then it generally doesn't matter if it crashes the game or not. Simply no one will use it anymore. In this context the issue should be considered critical. It's like weather sync problem in MP. It didn't crash the game but got highest priority for fix.

What it means is that if you use it for a league, it will be the "current weather at the time the race event starts". i.e. you won't necessarily be able to practice for the specific weather conditions before hand unless the track location has fairly consistent weather patterns..

However, that is actually what real life teams deal with so in a sense, it makes it more "real".

You are providing artificial and false arguments to justify current design (or oversight during development - it's my bet). Real teams has fair good ability to predict the weather. Any deviations are exceptional. In case of PC2 the deviation is - intentionally or not - hardcoded into the game always providing wrong forecast.
While using the same weather forecast provider as the game is using, players gets completely different results. In case of race session the weather might be 9 hours ahead of what openweathermap provides. Simply it's not reliable. You can say: since we know the pattern they can look at a weather for 9 hours later. Yes they can. But it would be another workaround to another non-functinal feature of PC2. It's way easier to manually set the weather for race than use build-in feature. And then it ends-up with what I wrote above: the feature not being used by anyone.

Mahjik
19-04-2018, 16:10
It's like weather sync problem in MP. It didn't crash the game but got highest priority for fix.

And you know this how? I wasn't aware you had visibility to how and what SMS prioritized.

EDIT: Ok, this is going nowhere. If/when SMS wants to comment on this, they will. Other than that, let's move on since neither of us have access to SMS's codebase nor their project plans. I have access to the read-only WMD forums and have provided as much information that was shared.

Asturbo
22-04-2018, 11:52
Thank to Konji, MaXyM and Mahjik to help us to understand how Real Weather works. Probably the system is not perfect, but now we know how it works, and we can adapt it to what we need for out races. I personaly set 2x weather progresion to my 1 hour races and the weather can change in a logical way during the race.

Other thing I've reported in a previous post is that selecting real weather thought the UI of the game (in online races), you get weird results. It could change other settings of the lobby and the real weather obtained is different than the real weather of custom race i.e. I've tried to change the options of my DS ControlGameSet=true, servercontrolstrack=1 and servercontrolsvehicle=1 and looks that RW works in this way. Obviously the problem is that we can't change any other parameter of the session from the game, but at least we can use it for programmed races.

It's probably an issue with the UI of the game, when the masters of the session joins and changes to real weather something corrupts. We get the circuit and car of his previous race, and I think that the weather location is also corrupted even if you change again to the right circuit. Using the "server control option", the master of the session can't change anything, and looks working well.

Stewy32
22-04-2018, 12:50
If you want to use the exact Real Weather,use Google and research it.

F1_Racer68
22-04-2018, 13:29
Question regarding weather settings.

Does the "weather progression" also compress the effects to the track? What I mean is, the weather progressions changes the length of time that we experience each weather slot for. Does it also change how that weather affects the track surface? For example, if we run a "light rain" condition with 2x progressions, it will change the weather slot duration from 60 minutes to 30 minutes. But do we still see 60 minutes worth of rainfall volume on the track? Will puddles build twice as fast? Or is the volume of rain fixed?

lottalava
22-04-2018, 14:01
I liked a lot the weather effects, I played some thunderstorm, blizzard and they are very well done.

But in the case of thunderstorm we can´t listen to the lightning bolts and all noises that should be done during a storm!

HockeyNick30
22-04-2018, 14:07

Does the "weather progression" also compress the effects to the track? What I mean is, the weather progressions changes the length of time that we experience each weather slot for. Does it also change how that weather affects the track surface? For example, if we run a "light rain" condition with 2x progressions, it will change the weather slot duration from 60 minutes to 30 minutes. But do we still see 60 minutes worth of rainfall volume on the track? Will puddles build twice as fast? Or is the volume of rain fixed?

I'm under the impression that with 2x progression, you will in fact see the FULL amount of scheduled rain in the shorter timeframe. This, in theory, is what leads to some of the ludicrousness of the puddles on some tracks, because there hasn't been time for the track to drain.

MaXyM
22-04-2018, 14:57

In single player you don't even have an option to change weather progression if real weather is in-use.
In multiplayer, weather is loaded into weather slots from from forecast provider before you can connect to the lobby. Once connected, you can modify weather progression (and numbe of slots too). Actually at this point weather is not dynamic any-more. It behaves like normal 4 slots set by user. It has one another consequence: with real time progression it doesn't transists between slots as fast as they are predicted by forecast. Every weather slot is "played" for about an hour. It's actually serious flaw since each weather slot represents 3 hours of real world forecast. So if you fill your weather with 4 slots you might get 12 hours of forecast weather replayed during 4 hours.

Since real weather in form offered by PC2 is not real anymore we developed 2 alternative approaches. Both are unfortunately useless for rotating dedicated servers due to need of manual settings.
1. manually set up weather for practice and qualification, leave real weather only for race. For short pre-race sessions it might be some kind of workaround giving real weather at the beginning of the race but with accelerated transitions
2. get rid of real weather mode completely. Workarounds costs more effort and misleads players regarding forecast. Instead of this we suggest to use some forecast portals like yr.no (IMO the best for Europe). It offers forecast with hour-by-hour resolution. Then setting the session based on it is most reliable thing we can do for your simracers.

Mahjik
22-04-2018, 16:29

The weather slots are fixed time in PC (at this point in time). I say that as whatever is posted here will live for a while and know one knows what will change in the future. However, each slot is 1 hour today. If you have a one hour race, and use two time slots then you have 2 hours worth of weather. However, you have two ways to make this happen in the one hour time frame. You can use "Sync To Race" which will evenly divide the slots within your race time (so one hour race, you'd have 30 minutes of slot 1 and 30 minutes of slot 2). Now, there is a "transition period" between the two so it's not exactly an even split.

The other way would be use to accelerated time for weather progression. 2X would make each hour weather slot become twice as fast (and so on). So you can use that calculation to figure out how to do your weather slots for your race duration if you don't want the slots evenly distributed like the "Sync To Race" option.

The "type" of weather dictates the amount of water. So 2X weather "progression" doesn't mean you get 2X the amount of water from a light rain event. It just means the amount of time you will have light rain will be 2X as fast.

F1_Racer68
22-04-2018, 17:05
The weather slots are fixed time in PC (at this point in time). I say that as whatever is posted here will live for a while and know one knows what will change in the future. However, each slot is 1 hour today. If you have a one hour race, and use two time slots then you have 2 hours worth of weather. However, you have two ways to make this happen in the one hour time frame. You can use "Sync To Race" which will evenly divide the slots within your race time (so one hour race, you'd have 30 minutes of slot 1 and 30 minutes of slot 2). Now, there is a "transition period" between the two so it's not exactly an even split.

The other way would be use to accelerated time for weather progression. 2X would make each hour weather slot become twice as fast (and so on). So you can use that calculation to figure out how to do your weather slots for your race duration if you don't want the slots evenly distributed like the "Sync To Race" option.

The "type" of weather dictates the amount of water. So 2X weather "progression" doesn't mean you get 2X the amount of water from a light rain event. It just means the amount of time you will have light rain will be 2X as fast.

Mahjik

I get all that. What my question comes down to, is if we use 2x weather progression, do we still see 60 minutes worth of rain in a 30 minute period?

The reason this is important, is because if I dump 1 gallon of water into a funnel over 60 minutes, it will drain through at a specific rate, with a small volume in the funnel at any given time. Now, if I take that same 1 gallon of water, but dump it into that same funnel over 30 minutes (twice as fast) the funnel will fill up more than it did before because the exit flow rate is still the same.

Now if the exit flow rate of the funnel has also doubled in size, then the funnel will not fill up more. The water will just flow through it faster.

I'm just trying to confirm if the amount of rain fall is still the same rate ( lets say 3mm/hour) or if the rate increases with the 2x progrssion ( 2 x 3mm/hour or, in other words, 3mm/30 minutes now).

Mahjik
22-04-2018, 17:14

Mahjik

I get all that. What my question comes down to, is if we use 2x weather progression, do we still see 60 minutes worth of rain in a 30 minute period?

Only testing will prove it, but the progression should only affect the duration, not the amount. i.e. the rain doesn't fall any faster with weather progression, should only affect the duration.

F1_Racer68
22-04-2018, 17:39
Only testing will prove it, but the progression should only affect the duration, not the amount. i.e. the rain doesn't fall any faster with weather progression, should only affect the duration.

Thanks. That would also be my expectation, but current experience, while not thorough, is making me question it.

Mahjik
22-04-2018, 18:58
Thanks. That would also be my expectation, but current experience, while not thorough, is making me question it.

Try to do your testing without the first slot being rain. The reason is that the initial track saturation is random which means it will be hard to control the results. Starting with a dry first slot and moving to rain should create a more equal test setup.

Bealdor
23-04-2018, 05:37
Mahjik

The reason this is important, is because if I dump 1 gallon of water into a funnel over 60 minutes, it will drain through at a specific rate, with a small volume in the funnel at any given time. Now, if I take that same 1 gallon of water, but dump it into that same funnel over 30 minutes (twice as fast) the funnel will fill up more than it did before because the exit flow rate is still the same.

Now if the exit flow rate of the funnel has also doubled in size, then the funnel will not fill up more. The water will just flow through it faster.

I'm just trying to confirm if the amount of rain fall is still the same rate ( lets say 3mm/hour) or if the rate increases with the 2x progrssion ( 2 x 3mm/hour or, in other words, 3mm/30 minutes now).

Yes, the track wetting, drying and drainage gets accelerated too. That's why there is a difference between using one light rain weather slot with sync to rain or multiple light rain weather slots.

F1_Racer68
23-04-2018, 13:45
Yes, the track wetting, drying and drainage gets accelerated too. That's why there is a difference between using one light rain weather slot with sync to rain or multiple light rain weather slots.

So if the track wetting gets accelerated, but the drying/draining also get's accelerated, then it's not an issue. The amount of water build up on the track should still be the same. By that I mean that the puddles will not be any larger in 2x accelerated, as they are in real time, since the water drainage/drying is still at the same ratio as the water input rate. Puddles might form faster, but they would not be any larger or deeper.

At least, that's the theory, based on both sides being accelerated.

J4M35_R
07-06-2018, 22:03
Hi , Just played PC2 tonight for the first time since January and was wondering if anyone has found a fix for the Real Weather as i'm still only getting clear conditions all the time ? Thanks if you can help.

Sankyo
08-06-2018, 08:11
Hi , Just played PC2 tonight for the first time since January and was wondering if anyone has found a fix for the Real Weather as i'm still only getting clear conditions all the time ? Thanks if you can help.
The game relies on a 3rd-party server for the info, so it could be a lot of things like the server for the API not working at that moment, no info for the location you're using being available, too much traffic etc.

If you never got any real-life weather into the game, it might be something on your side blocking access to that site, e.g. your firewall or anti-virus application.

J4M35_R
08-06-2018, 08:51
The game relies on a 3rd-party server for the info, so it could be a lot of things like the server for the API not working at that moment, no info for the location you're using being available, too much traffic etc.

If you never got any real-life weather into the game, it might be something on your side blocking access to that site, e.g. your firewall or anti-virus application.

Thanks for your reply , Real weather worked until the second patch and since then hasn't worked. Can you give me some info on what I can check my end that might help , like what firewall settings would stop it from working. Thank you.

Sankyo
08-06-2018, 09:02
Thanks for your reply , Real weather worked until the second patch and since then hasn't worked. Can you give me some info on what I can check my end that might help , like what firewall settings would stop it from working. Thank you.
I don't exactly know how the API relates to the website, but you could start with trying to add https://openweathermap.org/ to the exception lists (trusted websites) of your firewall and anti-virus software.

Asturbo
16-09-2018, 21:02
Someone with DS could confirm if real weather is working today?

I configured last week my DS with LUA for the next championship and the Real Weather looks working well with the right message. It was working some days with this message when you log:

But today without changing anything, when I log I receive 4 slots always the same:

When I connect now, the 4 received slots are Rain, Light Cloud, Rain, Rain. I tried:

- Restarting the server
- Restarting the computer with the DS hosted
- Changing dates
- Disabling FW
- Checking conections with openweathermap.org (https://openweathermap.org/)

If other player joins, he also receive 4 fixed slots, always the same, but different to mine's.

The API web of the DS also shows that I have real weather.

Where came from these slots? If there is no connection with the weather server, I should receive clear weather.
Probably something from the local settings of the host player, because slots are diferent depending who logs first.

Is somebody having problems today with real weather?

Bealdor
17-09-2018, 11:14
I'm pretty sure that you're just seeing the first four weather slots the game is pulling from the openweathermap API.
Just compare it to the current weather forecast for COTA (https://openweathermap.org/city/4671654).

Asturbo
17-09-2018, 11:38
I'm pretty sure that you're just seeing the first four weather slots the game is pulling from the openweathermap API.
Just compare it to the current weather forecast for COTA (https://openweathermap.org/city/4671654).
It's possible. Then it could be that when I see "Real Weather" in the game, its for not having data, and it's really working when receive 4 fixed slots then?

I have to test it a little bit more, but knowing what is the right loging screen with RW (of previuos post) would be also helpful.

Edit: I logged now in the lobby, and received 4 slots different from yesterday that fits with actual weather in COTA saw in openweathermap.org:

Looks, that local weather improved from yesterday (it was raining). Probably when shows "Real Weather" is because no data received and the correct is the 4 slots. I was supposing otherwise.

I still have to test why different players connecting with 1 minute difference (with empty lobby), receive different weather.

Asturbo
18-09-2018, 21:07

I can confirm that the fist screen appears when no data received and then you always have clear weather when you see this message in your chat window.

The second one appears when data is correctly received and I've seen that it's consistent with the weather in selected location.

Tonight I'm not receiving weather data (I'm only seeing first screen and then clear weahter when I log), but it's not problem of the DS. In private practice, I tried with 12-15 diferent locations and always receive clear weather. I ask other friends to check this (to discard my computer or my ISP), and they also receive clear, even in locations where is cloudy or raining ATM. So it looks that today there is some problem collecting the weather data. Could be also problem of the weather data provider or excessing the calls limit.

PS: Monitoring my computer connections with NETSTAT, I see that the PCARS2 exe connects to 162.243.53.59 that is openweathermap API, but looks that the remote host closes the connection:

TCP 192.168.0.10:65410 162.243.53.59:http CLOSE_WAIT [pCARS2AVX.exe]

F1_Racer68
18-09-2018, 23:09
I can confirm that the fist screen appears when no data received and then you always have clear weather when you see this message in your chat window.

The second one appears when data is correctly received and I've seen that it's consistent with the weather in selected location.

Tonight I'm not receiving weather data (I'm only seeing first screen and then clear weahter), but it's not not problem of the DS. In private practice, I tried with 12-15 diferent locations and always receive clear weather. I ask other friends to check this (to discard my computer or my ISP), and they also receive clear, even in locations where is cloudy or raining ATM. So it looks that today there is some problem collecting the weather data. Could be also problem of the weather data provider or excessing the calls limit.

PS: Monitoring my computer connections with NETSTAT, I see that the PCARS2 exe connects to 162.243.53.59 that is openweathermap API, but looks that the remote host closes the connection:

TCP 192.168.0.10:65410 162.243.53.59:http CLOSE_WAIT [pCARS2AVX.exe]

Pretty common issue. For some reason the openweathermap.org API is quite unstable/unreliable.

Juhu_0815
22-09-2018, 09:30
I race offline and real weather has worked well for me until the last update. With patch 7 I have now clear weather all the time. It has nothing to do with the openweather.org site. I do a parallel check before starting a race exactly with the same API request as PCars and get real weather i.e. rain, fog,.. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Keena
22-09-2018, 09:53
Just look up an airport nearby (each one has a 4 letter International Civil Aviation Organisation ICAO code), then get its Terminal Area Forecast (TAF) by googling the code and TAF (eg EGLL TAF) in this scenario I looked up heathrow which is EGLL http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/europe.php?icao=EGLL and then set your weather manually for your race.

Asturbo
22-09-2018, 09:55
I race offline and real weather has worked well for me until the last update. With patch 7 I have now clear weather all the time. It has nothing to do with the openweather.org site. I do a parallel check before starting a race exactly with the same API request as PCars and get real weather i.e. rain, fog,.. Hope this gets fixed soon.
I think that it's not exactly the patch. I setup my server for the next season two weeks ago (just after patch) and it was working most of the times until last Monday. But during the last week I didn't received any weather data with real weather. The local computer establish the connection with the weather service, but no data received.

I've thinking in some posibilities that could cause not working RW:

Connectivity issue. Probably not, because as I've said, the client contacts with weather data server.
Something introduced in the patch. I don't think so, because it worked 90% of the times until last Monday using actual patch.
Some format change in the data provided by the API that PC2 can't handle. It would be strange, and if is this we'd need a patch.
Too many connections over the contracted limit. Probably not, because the number of players is lower than previous months when it was working.
License issue ??? Mmmmm

I'm thinking that probably the last one could be the answer. Now it's just 1 year after launch. Could be possible that the license has expired and wasn´t renewed?

There're different API levels that partnes could use, with different avaliability, different connections allowed and different price. Look here (https://openweathermap.org/price)

SMS could check where is the problem, logging with his account and looking the status of the service contracted. IMHO, it's the most credible explanation.

Juhu_0815
22-09-2018, 10:15
License could be the issue. This would explain, that I receive correct response with my private license.

Asturbo
22-09-2018, 10:28
License could be the issue. This would explain, that I receive correct response with my private license.
Very interesting. That could confirm my theory. Hope someone in SMS could check the API's account status.

BTW, I would settle with another "logical-random" weather with 40% clear, 40% cloud, 10% light rain, 9% rain and 1% extreme. I would not need RW then.

Sean_S36
23-09-2018, 11:06

Same here, I just been watching the 4 hrs of spa live and jumped into pcars 2 setup real weather with correct times and dates (current) and althought its raining at spa belgium weather in game is a sunny 32 %C WTF :)

Juhu_0815
05-10-2018, 18:56
I'd appreciate if the devs could have a look into this. I like real weather a lot and it would be sad if we lose this feature. Maybe it is indeed a license issue.

Javaniceday
05-10-2018, 19:44
Very interesting. That could confirm my theory. Hope someone in SMS could check the API's account status.

BTW, I would settle with another "logical-random" weather with 40% clear, 40% cloud, 10% light rain, 9% rain and 1% extreme. I would not need RW then.

Yeah, honestly I don't bother with Real Weather anymore. I love the feature, and especially in the beginning it works great. But all the talk about it not working, plus the fact that the weather slots it creates last an hour and can't be changed (unless it's multiplayer - after the slots are created, you multiply the weather acceleration) - I just don't have confidence in it....

Luckily, we have the Custom Random Weather tool http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?56777-quot-Custom-Random-Weather-Automator-quot

This honestly needs to be built into the game. Works flawlessly. Decide the chance of rain you want, and presto. If it was implemented into the game, you would just choose, say, "Dynamic Weather", and the game chooses the number of slots, and % chance of rain, and the weather acceleration. Or have the player choose the chance % of rain. So many ways to do this.

Juhu_0815
05-10-2018, 20:10
Interesting tool. Will give it a try.

Asturbo
05-10-2018, 20:44
It's a very good tool, very well thought and just we need. For Offline is perfect, but the problem is that in online, the host player knows the weather slots and other players don't and that's unfair.

I've been thinking last days in another possible solution for online, and I'll post SMSoon.

Asturbo
06-10-2018, 08:52
I've been investigating the real weather and I've found some interesting things that could help devs to fix the problem.

I found in the EXE file of PC2 the connection string to the real weather API:

http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?lat=%3.2f&lon=%3.2f&mode=xml&c

Values in bold are variables and they are the latitude and longitude of the locatiion of the circuit where we want to get the weather.

So we, can change it to any value (if we know real values). For example changing the variables to 10 we could query the weather of a ramdom location (10ºN 10ºW, I suppose)

In example that is the format of the query from PC2:

http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?lat=10f&lon=10f&mode=xml&c

If you copy this URL to you browser, you will get this answer of the weather server:

{"cod":401, "message": "Invalid API key. Please see http://openweathermap.org/faq#error401 for more info."}

It's responding that you need to pass the API key of the registered user to get the weather data. I've been searching in the EXE, but didn't found it. So probably the API key is not sent in the query and the server don't responds with any valid data. In this situation, we always get clear weather.

In the web API, the provider says that since an specific date, they don't accept querys without a valid key:

https://openweathermap.org/faq#error401 (read second "Q")

I've created a free account for myself that gives me a personal key and added it to the previous query: &appid=aac05e0ee50fad048ec4c417ab3b9920

http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?lat=10&lon=10&mode=xml&c&appid=aac05e0ee50fad048ec4c417ab3b9920

As you see, with last link with my own key, the weather server responds with valid weather data.

So, probably the query needs to be updated, adding the SMS account key to make the RW work again.

Stewy32
06-10-2018, 10:18
Ok, new project.I'm going to go through real life events and find some weather stats for you all.

Asturbo
06-10-2018, 19:02
As I said in some previous post, I've been thinking last days in other alternative that could help with the Real Weather and Random Weather issues.

It has been posted here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?65160-API-weather-request-A-possible-fix-to-weather-issues

In a sort way, it could be an app that generates random custom weather data and export it in the same format as openweather. We could redirect the query to the API hosted in your own computer (this is the easy part), and then the API should respond with the weather info randomly generated (but customized). It could be totaly autonomous and don't need touching any code of the game, because the redirection could be done with the operating system.

satco1066
06-10-2018, 20:23
As I said in some previous post, I've been thinking last days in other alternative that could help with the Real Weather and Random Weather issues.

It has been posted here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?65160-API-weather-request-A-possible-fix-to-weather-issues

In a sort way, it could be an app that generates random custom weather data and export it in the same format as openweather. We could redirect the query to the API hosted in your own computer (this is the easy part), and then the API should respond with the weather info randomly generated (but customized). It could be totaly autonomous and don't need touching any code of the game, because the redirection could be done with the operating system.

or cold take the real weather data from a free weather service, convert and the respond back to pCARS1/2.
As long as SMS doesn't come up with a hot fix.

Asturbo
06-10-2018, 21:04
or cold take the real weather data from a free weather service, convert and the respond back to pCARS1/2.
As long as SMS doesn't come up with a hot fix.
Yes satco1066, you can get the realweather with you own valid key and then relay to your own app.
ATM I preffer custom-random, but as you've said, the app could have both options: RW & Custom.
That would be awesome.

Juhu_0815
07-10-2018, 08:08
Would be a great thing! Btw, if someone needs the coordinates of all the locations, I've attached them here:

{
"name": "Autodromo Internacional Algarve",
"country": "Portugal",
"lat": 37.23133,
"lng": -8.62833
},
{
"name": "Autodromo Nazionale Monza",
"country": "Italy",
"lat": 45.62181,
"lng": 9.28478
},
{
"name": "Azure Circuit",
"country": "France",
"lat": 43.73842,
"lng": 7.42462
},
{
"name": "Azure Coast",
"lat": 43.73842,
"lng": 7.42462
},
{
"name": "Bathurst - Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit",
"country": "Australia",
"lat": -33.44048,
"lng": 149.55808
},
{
"name": "Brands Hatch Circuit",
"country": "UK",
"lat": 51.35752,
"lng": 0.26254
},
{
"name": "Brno",
"country": "Czech Republic",
"lat": 49.20389,
"lng": 16.44566
},
{
"name": "Cadwell Park",
"lat": 53.31107,
"lng": -0.06178
},
{
"name": "California Highway",
"country": "USA",
"lat": 36.75460,
"lng": -121.76527
},
{
"name": "Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya",
"country": "Spain",
"lat": 41.56823,
"lng": 2.25715
},
{
"name": "Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps",
"country": "Belgium",
"lat": 50.43695,
"lng": 5.97176
},
{
"name": "Circuit of the Americas",
"lat": 30.13458,
"lng": -97.63585
},
{
"name": "Daytona International Speedway",
"lat": 29.18517,
"lng": -81.07053
},
{
"name": "Donington Park Circuit",
"lat": 52.83055,
"lng": -1.37884
},
{
"name": "Dubai Autodrome",
"country": "UAE",
"lat": 25.05019,
"lng": 55.23973
},
{
"name": "Fiorano Circuit",
"lat": 44.53500,
"lng": 10.85802
},
{
"name": "Fuji Speedway",
"country": "Japan",
"lat": 35.36804,
"lng": 138.93743
},
{
"name": "Hockenhreimring",
"country": "Germany",
"lat": 49.32990,
"lng": 8.57092
},
{
"name": "Imola - Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari",
"lat": 44.34434,
"lng": 11.71940
},
{
"name": "Indianapolis Motor Speedway",
"lat": 39.79535,
"lng": -86.23530
},
{
"name": "Knock Hill Racing Circuit",
"country": "Schottland",
"lat": 56.13139,
"lng": -3.50899
},
{
"name": "Le Mans - Circuit de la Sarthe",
"lat": 47.95573,
"lng": 0.21216
},
{
"name": "Long Beach",
"lat": 33.77005,
"lng": -118.19374
},
{
"name": "Lydden Hill",
"lat": 51.17743,
"lng": 1.19978
},
{
"name": "Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca",
"lat": 36.58429,
"lng": -121.75346
},
{
"name": "Motorsport Arena Oschersleben",
"lat": 52.02664,
"lng": 11.27842
},
{
"name": "Mugello Circuit",
"lat": 43.99778,
"lng": 11.37096
},
{
"name": "Nürburgring",
"lat": 50.33410,
"lng": 6.94266
},
{
"name": "Oulton Park",
"lat": 53.18125,
"lng": -2.61659
},
{
"name": "Porsche Leipzig",
"lat": 51.40604,
"lng": 12.29850
},
{
"name": "Red Bull Ring",
"country": "Austria",
"lat": 47.220240,
"lng": 14.76485
},
{
"name": "Road America",
"lat": 43.79751,
"lng": -87.98996
},
{
"name": "Rouen Les Essarts",
"lat": 49.33369,
"lng": 1.01070
},
{
"name": "Ruapuna Park International Raceway",
"country": "New Zealand",
"lat": -43.53191,
"lng": 172.48643
},
{
"name": "Sakitto",
"lat": 34.84559,
"lng": 136.53895
},
{
"name": "Silverstone Circuit",
"lat": 52.09148,
"lng": -1.02806
},
{
"name": "Snetterton Circuit",
"lat": 52.46365,
"lng": 0.94581
},
{
"name": "Sonoma Raceway",
"lat": 38.16087,
"lng": -122.45469
},
{
"name": "Sportsland SUGO",
"lat": 38.14192,
"lng": 140.77766
},
{
"name": "Zolder Circuit",
"country": "Belgium",
"lat": 50.99146,
"lng": 5.25797
}

Juhu_0815
21-10-2018, 08:18
Still not working:(

Asturbo
21-10-2018, 10:26
You can try Mr_Belowsky proxy app for the realweather. That's what I'm using now and works fine:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?65160-OpenWeather-Testing-A-proposal-to-fix-weather-issues&p=1545037&viewfull=1#post1545037

Juhu_0815
09-12-2018, 09:42
I am a bit disappointed that there is no reaction from the devs on the real weather function. Can't be a big thing and it is an official feature. I even sent a private message to Ian, but no reaction.:(

F1_Racer68
09-12-2018, 15:31
Same thing happened with pC1. After support ended, the Real Weather stopped functioning properly. I think it is simply a case of the API no logner being valid.

mr_belowski
09-12-2018, 17:10
The api key, which presumably costs a significant amount of money, is trivally easy to obtain just by inspecting network traffic. So I guess it's virtually impossible for SMS to ensure this key isn't taken and used by randoms. And as the key has a limited number of API accesses it's not surprising that it doesn't work

Proxying through my little java app, using your own (free) key is a reasonable workaround

Asturbo
09-12-2018, 17:25
The api key, which presumably costs a significant amount of money
The costs of the API key is 40$/month for 600 cals/minute and 180$/month for 3000 cals/minute. Probably the 40$ would be enough in this moment.
Another option would be that you could use a personal key (it's free), to make the weather query.

shovas
09-12-2018, 18:05
+1 Unacceptable to still sell PC2 as a supposed complete package with features like this broken out of the box.

Juhu_0815
09-12-2018, 18:27
The api key, which presumably costs a significant amount of money, is trivally easy to obtain just by inspecting network traffic. So I guess it's virtually impossible for SMS to ensure this key isn't taken and used by randoms. And as the key has a limited number of API accesses it's not surprising that it doesn't work

Proxying through my little java app, using your own (free) key is a reasonable workaround

I have my own key anyway. I'll give the proxy a try.

F1_Racer68
09-12-2018, 18:38

Does your app work with the dediacted server? If so, how?

Asturbo
09-12-2018, 19:07
By design, the DS doesn't connect in any moment with the realweather web, even when it was working. So there is no difference in solo/P2P/DS, if you make it work, will work in all situations.

The realweather data is obtained always from the game. In MP (DS or P2P) the computer who connects to get the weather, is whom created the session. It should work in this way: you connect to your DS, the client (the computer of the firts player who logs), tries to connect to http://openweathermap.org to get the weather data for the session. Then he passes the data to the server to create the weather slots and then the server passes to the rest of the players when connect. But if the computer of the host player can't get the weather data, you get clear weather, as it's happening now.

What Belowsky has done is an app that redirects the weather query to the app (with the host trick), and the app relays to internet to get the data correctly from the web with a valid key. It's a "man-in-the-middle" technic, so it works in the same way as it was designed from SMS without changing anything in the code.

So, to have RW again, only the first who logs the DS, needs access to the APP of Belowsky to have real weather for all players in the session.

That app could be launched in host's player computer or DS computer (makes no difference). If the app is running in another computer you need access to the port of the app in the remote computer. My recomendation is that you try to make work in solo and with the app in host's computer. If you make it work, will work also with your DS if you are the first to log or P2P if you create the lobby. If the session is created by another one who doesn't have the app, you will get "clear" weather as before, even if you log the session.

Your question makes sense because would be more logical that the DS connect to the weather web directly, but it was designed in that way by SMS.

For those who don't know what we are talking about, you can read this thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?65160-OpenWeather-Testing-A-proposal-to-fix-weather-issues