PDA

View Full Version : Logitech G29 Buttons Setup Suggestions

Plexus58
02-12-2017, 23:41
Hi everybody,

I'm COMPLETELY new to sim racing and everything related, like the Logitech G29 I'm using. One of the many questions I have about it all is: what PC2 functions should I assign to the G29 buttons? I presume that most experienced sim racers don't use the default button assignments with their wheels (G29 or others)... So what would you recommend as "essential" assignments? Any thread on the subject in the forum? (I didn't find any)

fbetes
03-12-2017, 00:36

Plexus58
03-12-2017, 01:00
Thanks fbetes.:) Some interesting assignments in there that I wouldn't have think of (the whole point of this thread).
Anyone else have other suggestions or recommendations for "essential" button assignments?

SchluckeWOT
03-12-2017, 02:16
I'm jealous of the extra buttons/knob the G29 gets, I had to make a few compromises on my G920.

That layout fbetes posted looks like the real steel deal.

Plexus58
03-12-2017, 02:26
Yes, it's nice to have all those buttons. But on the other hand, I prefer the G920's look. The G29 looks a little bit like a toy to me, while the G920 looks more like an actual driving wheel.

hkraft300
03-12-2017, 07:45
This is excellent:

I would also include auto-clutch on/off. I think that is more important than DRS, depending on the type of cars you mostly race. DRS only works in Formula cars, McLaren P1s and Zonda Revo.

Auto-clutch off for modern race cars, on for classic H-shift cars. Unless you have the logitech shifter.

no_snacks
03-12-2017, 08:11
Hoping to get a G29 for Christmas. (even though I've been a naughty boy) :D

With the controller, I'm 1 or 2 buttons short of having everything I need. With gas, brake, gear up and gear down moving to the pedals and paddles, I'm hoping there'll be enough buttons left over to give me a few more features to play with.

Can you assign a command for each direction on the 4-Way D-Pad? (shown as default ICM in the photo). You can on the PS4 controller, I'm just not sure if you can on the G29. Cheers.

hkraft300
03-12-2017, 08:20

Can you assign a command for each direction on the 4-Way D-Pad? (shown as default ICM in the photo). You can on the PS4 controller, I'm just not sure if you can on the G29. Cheers.

Yes you can. While the icm is up, those commands won't work, so it won't double up on the d-pad.
I don't recommend it though.

You could also get an El-cheapo USB or Bluetooth keyboard to hook it up as a button box. All the buttons you could poke a finger at, plus some.

fbetes
03-12-2017, 09:20

And you can attach an external numeric USB standard (3€ Chinese online shop).

Plexus58
03-12-2017, 15:59
This is excellent:

I would also include auto-clutch on/off. I think that is more important than DRS, depending on the type of cars you mostly race. DRS only works in Formula cars, McLaren P1s and Zonda Revo.

Thanks hkraft300 for the info. What about KERS, is it something that works with a lot of cars? (there's not even a single mention of it in the manual!)

Plexus58
03-12-2017, 16:14
@ fbetes:

I ordered a Playseat Challenge 2 days ago, and I'd like to do something similar to what you did. So any info about how you attached the shifter and the keyboard to the seat would be VERY welcome!:confused:

Also, regarding the numeric keypad:
- Is it automatically recognized by Windows and PC2?
- I'm wondering about a possible conflict with my main keyboard (it already has a numeric pad). Does your main keyboard have a numeric pad too?

hkraft300
03-12-2017, 21:31
Thanks hkraft300 for the info. What about KERS, is it something that works with a lot of cars? (there's not even a single mention of it in the manual!)

Formula A (maybe X too?), caterham SP300, also some turbo cars (like Indy) use the same KERS button as overboost.

fbetes
04-12-2017, 00:07
@ fbetes:

I ordered a Playseat Challenge 2 days ago, and I'd like to do something similar to what you did. So any info about how you attached the shifter and the keyboard to the seat would be VERY welcome!:confused:

Also, regarding the numeric keypad:
- Is it automatically recognized by Windows and PC2?
- I'm wondering about a possible conflict with my main keyboard (it already has a numeric pad). Does your main keyboard have a numeric pad too?

Hi again

I'm sorry for my english...

It's very easy to mount an official G29 shifter + external keyboard.

Playseat sells an official shifter clamp, but its expensive, and it's not necessary to buy it... I'm sure you have in your home a wooden piece like this:

The only thing you have to do is to place the wooden piece (or metallic piece, what you have in your home) between the G29 clamp and Playseat Challenge mount (obviously you will have to screw previously your wheel to the Playseat challenge). The clamp will "catch" the wooden/metal piece and you could attach easily your shifter (one side) and the external keyboard (another side).

Obviously the piece will have to be enough long to hold both devices (shifter and numeric keyboard). I can assure it's very easy to custom your Playseat Challenge...

Once time you have the piece mounted in Playseat Challenge, you will have to hold the shifter with the clamp.

For the external numeric keyboard, you can use double-sided tape (easy)...

Regarding to your another 2 questions, I'm sorry, but I can't help you, because I'm playing on console (PS4). No issues with external numeric keyboard being recognized by PS4...

Plexus58
04-12-2017, 01:27
@hkraft300:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this:

some turbo cars (like Indy) use the same KERS button as overboost.
Are there some cars classes for which some buttons have 2 functions?

Plexus58
04-12-2017, 01:37
fbetes, thanks a lot for your instructions and the images: very clear! :D
And don't worry about your english, it's quite good.

hkraft300
04-12-2017, 02:39
@hkraft300:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this:

Are there some cars classes for which some buttons have 2 functions?

No it's either electric boost (kers) or turbo overboost (like Indy). Both systems use the same kers button on the cars with the kers/boost function.

Invincible
04-12-2017, 06:15
That's what I was using on my G29

mark16071
04-12-2017, 06:50
Good suggestions guys, thanks!
I also have the brake bias assigned to the red dail, but often it takes several attempts before the input is seen. Am I the only one and is something wrong with my G29? Or do others have this too?
Btw I'm on PS4.

Invincible
04-12-2017, 07:16
I also have the brake bias assigned to the red dail, but often it takes several attempts before the input is seen. Am I the only one and is something wrong with my G29? Or do others have this too?
Btw I'm on PS4.

For me it worked right away.

hkraft300
04-12-2017, 07:18
I think start engine mapped to a button might be unnecessary. When I stall it, I press clutch and throttle then the engine sparks to life.

I also have the brake bias assigned to the red dail, but often it takes several attempts before the input is seen.

It only works if the steering wheel is at a constant angle. Whether you're going straight or constant radius turn. The red dial won't register an input if the wheel is changing direction. Nothing wrong with it. Mine is the same.

mark16071
04-12-2017, 07:40
Ok thanks! Then it works as designed.

iggy
04-12-2017, 09:58
Some cars allow adjustment of anti roll bars. I usually set the up/down toggle buttons to adjust the rear.

FInroDz
04-12-2017, 10:44
Not exactly on topic but... Am I the only one that suffers from random double downshifting with g29? It's not protection (I know it). I found a topic on this problem on ps4 project cars 1 section, so I start to think it's could not be my fault :confused:

You can imagine, driving many laps, and then, without any reasons, one click on the left paddle and from 3rd to 1st with car loosing rear :(

p.s. manual clutch

Shogun613
04-12-2017, 10:52
Not exactly on topic but... Am I the only one that suffers from random double downshifting with g29? It's not protection (I know it). I found a topic on this problem on ps4 project cars 1 section, so I start to think it's could not be my fault :confused:

You can imagine, driving many laps, and then, without any reasons, one click on the left paddle and from 3rd to 1st with car loosing rear :(

p.s. manual clutch

I had that problem when I first bought my G29 after about a month of use. I used the button test utility in the Logitech software to confirm the double register and had to have my wheel replaced.

demerzel
04-12-2017, 11:03
Is this working as a separate input from the keyboard?

Albertsen
04-12-2017, 11:16
Btw I'm on PS4.

I have the same problem. I think that dial is too cheaply done.

hkraft300
04-12-2017, 11:31
I have the same problem. I think that dial is too cheaply done.

It’s a cheap wheel.

It only works if the steering wheel is at a constant angle. Whether you're going straight or constant radius turn. The red dial won't register an input if the wheel is changing direction. Nothing wrong with it. Mine is the same.

Ok thanks! Then it works as designed.

cpcdem
04-12-2017, 13:28
Btw I'm on PS4.

Got my G29 two weeks ago and had the same issue. I just assigned brake bias to the left/right buttons of the top-left pad (sorry, don't know how it's called) that's used also for ICM managing and it works fine. I also assigned the up/down buttons for other functions, so in total 4 additional buttons to use..

FInroDz
05-12-2017, 20:01
I had that problem when I first bought my G29 after about a month of use. I used the button test utility in the Logitech software to confirm the double register and had to have my wheel replaced.

Thank you. Used the test utility and discovered that button 6 (left paddle) has the same problem. I bought my g29 almost two years ago (15/12/2015). I should have still warranty.

I will turn on a pad driver for some weeks :p

p.s. Logitech support seems... meh :| Your experience?