PDA

View Full Version : [BUG?] Steering not linear in gt86 RB with sensitivity set to 50%

kamkor
03-12-2017, 11:43
I have t300rs configured to 900 degrees and steering sensitivity set to 50%. I'm running on pc patch 3.

I've noticed that gt86 rb feels a bit weird and found out that the last 90 degrees of steering wheel input cause a lot of rotation in front wheels. I've made it more linear by increasing steering sensitivity and the car started to feel much better.

After that, I've tested mx5 radbull, stock gt86 and bmw 1m - in these cars, steering appears to be linear with steering sensitivity set to 50%. So I think there's a bug in gt86 RB.

Zaskarspants
03-12-2017, 11:46
Some cars may have non linear racks ?

kamkor
03-12-2017, 12:00
Zaskarspants: Does gt86 rb have non linear steering rack in real life? Could you please confirm, because then it wouldn't be a bug.

Although this car really feels tons better with linear-like steering.. So I hope its a bug.

Zaskarspants
03-12-2017, 12:16
Zaskarspants: Does gt86 rb have non linear steering rack in real life? Could you please confirm, because then it wouldn't be a bug.

Although this car really feels tons better with linear-like steering.. So I hope its a bug.

Sorry, doing other stuff, why don't you have a look? I know many road cars have non linear racks but I am not an expert.

MrTulip
03-12-2017, 13:54
GT86 RocketBunny has a lot higher max steering lock than almost any other car in the game. It is more of a drifting car just like Mx-5 Radbul, although I don't know why it has not been marked as one in the game. This probably has something to do with it, if it is not nonlinear steering rack to begin with.

PCARS has always worked so that if the wheel is calibrated for less degrees than what the car's maximum lock is, the rest of the steering angle is "crammed" to the last 90 or so degrees so that you can still get full lock if needed. It may be handy in the pits for instance. Since RB has a huge steering range, 900 degrees might not be enough for it.

Increasing steering ratio (say to 8:1) in the setups should fix it, but it might make small movements twitchier and make it harder to drive straight.

kamkor
03-12-2017, 15:55
PCARS has always worked so that if the wheel is calibrated for less degrees than what the car's maximum lock is, the rest of the steering angle is "crammed" to the last 90 or so degrees so that you can still get full lock if needed. It may be handy in the pits for instance. Since RB has a huge steering range, 900 degrees might not be enough for it.

Thanks for the explanation MrTulip. Non-linear steering rack I could understand (if its also in the real car counterpart), but the behavior that you described I find weird. :( Especially as UI says: "For the vehicle's wheels in-game to match your own steering input, set this to 50%". This makes the car feel very weird when drifting. Once I've made steering more linear by changing steering sensitivity, gt86 rb became a killer drift machine.

I've also did not see this behavior in mx5 radbull that has even more steering lock, but I admit I'm running a custom setup with different steering ratio settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lP-DjjaX4

Increasing steering ratio (say to 8:1) in the setups should fix it, but it might make small movements twitchier and make it harder to drive straight.

Thanks, I will check this tomorrow. Today I've set steering sensitivity to 100% and then gt86 rb had steering close to linear. I will change it back to 50%, adjust steering ratio and give feedback on that as well.

kamkor
04-12-2017, 20:29

I have performed test with with steering sensitivity set to 50% and reduced steering ratio to 7.0-7.5:1. This made the steering more linear. Still something feels a bit odd, but the car can be thrown around nicely now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssn2LJc8wQM

I prefer a system where sim provides linear steering and lets me control amount of steering lock instead.

Thanks again for help MrTulip.

MrTulip
04-12-2017, 20:45
Nice going you have there Kamkor! :)

attaGee
04-12-2017, 20:48
I have steering ratio also something around 13 :D with Snowtyres it's pretty easy going all the time :D