PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

freeon
04-12-2017, 18:20
What are the best headphones to buy? I use VR and I believe I read somewhere that VR headphones were different? Is this true or can I use any headphones. Also I want something that has a mic.

Mahjik
04-12-2017, 18:47
I'm a huge Sennheiser fan:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/pc-gaming-headset

demerzel
04-12-2017, 18:51
I have a sennheiser too.

BrainsBush
04-12-2017, 19:27
If you have the Oculus Rift you can remove the "integrated" headphone with a screwdriver. I use a Denon MM300 on ear which is connected to the 3,5mm jack on my PC.

Nyreen
04-12-2017, 19:31
It depends on what you plan to do in general. Only gaming and movies ? Go for a 5.1 headphones (or things like that), I've heard it's a very cool experience and it can be a nice plus with VR.

My job requires sound design and mixing, and I LOVE my pair of Sennheiser HD650. It's a dream everytime I listen to music (let's say all day), and I can wear it all day on my head, I don't feel anything. Note that I wear a headphone usually 12 hours a day, so when I say it's comfy, I mean it :p

Minimitch
04-12-2017, 20:06
I use Onkyo Ed Ph0n3s because I mostly listen to metal music and they're perfect for that and also work great with the game, however I've had Sennheiser in the past and they were amazing until they broke

freeon
04-12-2017, 20:10
It depends on what you plan to do in general. Only gaming and movies ? Go for a 5.1 headphones (or things like that), I've heard it's a very cool experience and it can be a nice plus with VR.

My job requires sound design and mixing, and I LOVE my pair of Sennheiser HD650. It's a dream everytime I listen to music (let's say all day), and I can wear it all day on my head, I don't feel anything. Note that I wear a headphone usually 12 hours a day, so when I say it's comfy, I mean it :p

Gaming only. Occasional movies when watching 3D movies on PSVR. And only VR games I play is racing. For now anyway.

bradleyland
04-12-2017, 20:21

I'm such a huge fan of Sennheiser. On my head right now are a set of HD555 headphones that I bought back in something like 2004. They still work fantastic. I've got a big fat head that normally causes cracking issues with headphones, and these are still holding up after all these years. They even have the original ear pads on them.

bradleyland
04-12-2017, 20:27
If you're looking for wireless, I can confidently recommend the Lucidsound LS30. They're an older model, but they sound great, and the controls are fantastic. The large "disc" on the back of each headphone can be rotated or pressed. The right ear is for voice chat, and the left ear is for game audio.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/17/12514854/lucidsound-ls30-gaming-headphones-review

MuddyPaws73
04-12-2017, 20:35
If you're looking for wireless, I can confidently recommend the Lucidsound LS30. They're an older model, but they sound great, and the controls are fantastic. The large "disc" on the back of each headphone can be rotated or pressed. The right ear is for voice chat, and the left ear is for game audio.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/17/12514854/lucidsound-ls30-gaming-headphones-review

I love my LS40 headphones. The fit, finish and sound is great.

John Hargreaves
04-12-2017, 20:43
I have some Sennheiser 380s and they are really nice, lovely sound and very comfortable, but I currently use the Beyer Dynamic DT990s, which are open back and just feel a bit better for pCARS. You get a feeling of the sound coming from a larger area with these, whereas the closed back ones it felt more like the sound was inside my brain. Both sets are really nice, just read reviews and get the best you can afford, usual stuff. Sennheiser certainly have the reputation, but it pays to do your homework and there are bargains to be had out there.

Edit: sorry just reread the OP, no mic on these two.

Nyreen
04-12-2017, 21:28
I used to have a Beyer DT250 but the left ear died a year later. I think a speaker cost around 25.

Open headphones are nice but you can't really go out in public with it. Or absolutely everyone will hear what you listen to. (still love my Sennheiser's, I really recommend them, I think it's a good long-term upgrade from the Beyer's if you encounter any issue)

davidt33
04-12-2017, 21:57
Playstation Gold Wireless.

Albertsen
04-12-2017, 22:11
Sennheiser FTW :cool:

Steph_EP
04-12-2017, 22:19
What are the best headphones to buy? I use VR and I believe I read somewhere that VR headphones were different? Is this true or can I use any headphones. Also I want something that has a mic.

I use that, but I do not use VR. It may be a bit big

Corsair VOID Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB Gaming Headset

bradleyland
04-12-2017, 22:30
I have some Sennheiser 380s and they are really nice, lovely sound and very comfortable, but I currently use the Beyer Dynamic DT990s, which are open back and just feel a bit better for pCARS. You get a feeling of the sound coming from a larger area with these, whereas the closed back ones it felt more like the sound was inside my brain. Both sets are really nice, just read reviews and get the best you can afford, usual stuff. Sennheiser certainly have the reputation, but it pays to do your homework and there are bargains to be had out there.

Edit: sorry just reread the OP, no mic on these two.

My HD555s are open, and I like them for the exact same reason :) Unless I'm in a party chat, I just use my Senns.

freeon
05-12-2017, 18:23
Wow lots of love for the Sennheiser. There just so many models. What do you guys think of the Sennheiser PC 360. They are open back. Someone mentioned this is better for the sound in PC2. I certainly like the idea of cooler air being able to reach the ears. Anyone know if the volume and mic mute can be done directly on the headphones?

Mahjik
05-12-2017, 18:35
Wow lots of love for the Sennheiser. There just so many models. What do you guys think of the Sennheiser PC 360. They are open back. Someone mentioned this is better for the sound in PC2. I certainly like the idea of cooler air being able to reach the ears. Anyone know if the volume and mic mute can be done directly on the headphones?

The PC 360 is an older headset, but it is a closed ear noise canceling headset. I use them and love them, but they are older. It does have volume control on the headset.

bradleyland
05-12-2017, 18:43

FWIW, I am not aware of any open-back gaming headsets. I'd also recommend at least listening to a set of open headphones before purchasing. Some people really don't like them, because they don't sound, at all, like traditional closed headphones. I just happen to be in the group that loves the open sound.

FlakNine
05-12-2017, 18:57
If you are looking for something with a mic, I can recommend the Steel Series Arctis 7 headphones. They are nice and comfy, wireless, decent driver and software support and they sound pretty good. I'm sure that mid-range non-gaming headphones from Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc will win on audio quality but for an all-round gaming package I like them. Another neat thing is they have a physical dial to adjust the volume balance between chat and game audio.

Headphones and audio is quite a subjective topic - check out some reviews and ideally buy from somewhere which accepts returns if you don't like whatever you choose.

BTW, I previously had a Corsair headset and found the driver and software support to be terrible. Things may have improved but it discouraged me from buying their products.

Azure Flare
05-12-2017, 23:11
I always recommend a set of open-back headphones for anything other than travel use. Everything else will sound better. If you need a mic, get an Antlion Modmic 5, or a 4 if you can still find one.

freeon
07-12-2017, 13:27
So after doing more research and the fact that no local stores carry any decent headphones I guess I''ll have to buy something without trying them out. After so many people here recommending the Sennheiser I'm leaning towards this brand. And have narrowed it down to GSP 300, Game one and Game zero. With $180.00 difference between the lower to the highest costing what is the main difference between these 3. Alternatively I was also looking at the Logitech G533. These are very good price, wireless and seem to have good reviews online. Haven't seen anyone hear recommend any Logitechs so they might not be that good. My 2 main concerns is comfort and sound. Wireless would be an added benefit. I was hoping to stay under $200.00 Canadian but if the more expensive ones are worth it I'm willing to go above.

bradleyland
07-12-2017, 14:08
Before you buy, have a look at Wirecutter's review. They're pretty thorough.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-headset/

freeon
08-12-2017, 13:15
Thank you everyone for your feedback. After taking all your feedback and searching online reviews for all the products listed here and reviewing the link above to wire cutter I have decided on the Sennheiser Game One. I'm sure any of the above suggested would have been an improvement over my $20.00 ear buds I currently have:p. One thing I did notice on most of the reviews for game one is that to use them at their full potential a dedicated sound card is recommended to push more power to them them. Would routing the sound true my surround sound amplifier help or will only and dedicated sound card work?

bradleyland
08-12-2017, 13:59
Depends on what you mean by surround sound amplifier. If you mean an A/V receiver, then results may vary. Some have very good headphone output, but most just put something passable in (because very few consumers use them).

The best thing to do is simply test it out, because what matters is whether you can hear the difference. Just be sure to use a digital output connector from your PC to the A/V receiver. Otherwise you're just pumping up the already poor analog audio output from your on-board sound card.

If you don't find there is an improvement, maybe consider picking up a portable USB DAC with amp. Wirecutter comes through again with a budget recommendation, the FiiO K1 (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-headphone-amp-with-built-in-dac/).

You could think of a portable USB DAC as a kind of USB sound card. The benefit is that it's not stuck in your gaming PC. You can use it with your laptop, and even mobile devices (you'll end up in dongle hell though). It's far more versatile, and IMO, you'll likely get more use out of it than a dedicated audio card in your gaming PC.

freeon
08-12-2017, 14:49
Depends on what you mean by surround sound amplifier. If you mean an A/V receiver, then results may vary. Some have very good headphone output, but most just put something passable in (because very few consumers use them).

The best thing to do is simply test it out, because what matters is whether you can hear the difference. Just be sure to use a digital output connector from your PC to the A/V receiver. Otherwise you're just pumping up the already poor analog audio output from your on-board sound card.

If you don't find there is an improvement, maybe consider picking up a portable USB DAC with amp. Wirecutter comes through again with a budget recommendation, the FiiO K1 (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-headphone-amp-with-built-in-dac/).

You could think of a portable USB DAC as a kind of USB sound card. The benefit is that it's not stuck in your gaming PC. You can use it with your laptop, and even mobile devices (you'll end up in dongle hell though). It's far more versatile, and IMO, you'll likely get more use out of it than a dedicated audio card in your gaming PC.

Thanks again. Yes I did mean A/V receiver. It's a high end one. It doesn't mean the headphone output is any good. However I won't be able to use digital output from PC to A/V receiver so probably won't be wort it. On my PC I only have the 3.5mm headphone plugin and HDMI. I use PSVR with Trinus and in order to get 120 FPS the HDMI from PC to Projector(going true A/V receiver) has to be disconnected once PC2 starts since projector is only 60hz and limits the PSVR to 60hz.

bradleyland
08-12-2017, 15:13
Yikes, a lack of digital out means the on-board audio is very basic. I would definitely go with either the FiiO K1, or an upgraded dedicated audio card :)

freeon
13-12-2017, 15:28
I received my Game One headphones yesterday. Only tried for 20 minutes last night and so far I like them. I like the sound of the open headset. I need to set volume to 100% on headset and PC for it it to be loud enough so will probably look at amplifier or dedicated audio card. Which of the 2 would be a better option. If I go with audio card I have I also have to option to route it true my A/V receiver.

BullWinkle
13-12-2017, 19:45
Thank you everyone for your feedback. After taking all your feedback and searching online reviews for all the products listed here and reviewing the link above to wire cutter I have decided on the Sennheiser Game One. I'm sure any of the above suggested would have been an improvement over my $20.00 ear buds I currently have:p. One thing I did notice on most of the reviews for game one is that to use them at their full potential a dedicated sound card is recommended to push more power to them them. Would routing the sound true my surround sound amplifier help or will only and dedicated sound card work?

What do you have for a motherboard?, and it's integrated sound?, or do you have a dedicated sound card?

freeon
13-12-2017, 20:41
This is the motherboard i have. No dedicated sound card. Thinking about getting one.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NAK6CG2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

escritorio
13-12-2017, 21:31

I think you just can't beat Sennheiser

:eagerness:

bradleyland
15-12-2017, 14:51
I received my Game One headphones yesterday. Only tried for 20 minutes last night and so far I like them. I like the sound of the open headset. I need to set volume to 100% on headset and PC for it it to be loud enough so will probably look at amplifier or dedicated audio card. Which of the 2 would be a better option. If I go with audio card I have I also have to option to route it true my A/V receiver.

I would go with either a dedicated audio card, or something like the FiiO K1.

To work your A/V receiver into the equation, you'd want to use optical out from the PC sound card do the A/V receiver, but at that point, you're bypassing a lot of what makes a good dedicated audio card worth it. You're probably better off just driving the headphones from the dedicated audio card.

If you buy the FiiO K1, you plug it in via USB, which bypasses your sound card altogether. The FiiO K1 becomes something like a USB sound card. It has more than enough power to drive the Sennheiser Game One headphones.