PDA

View Full Version : Who is a slow starter - and why?

beatrunner
05-12-2017, 17:32
hi guys

i'm driving mostly gt3 class and i find that i'm mostly way faster at start then others. doesn't matter if i start P1 or last. for me it's like guaranteed to gain atlest 2-3 positions in the first 2-3 seconds of a race. in a clean was ofcourse...
i've seen others commenting my starting as "like a rocket"...

so my question to the ones that are familiar with beeing overtaken right at the start: how exactly are you doing it? how can't you put power to that wheels right at the moment the green light comes? i mean aren't you all filled with "adrenalin" and joy right at the start? aren't you starring at the lights like a cat beeing ready to just jump?...

i invite you all about a discussion on how to overcome the problem, that some people may cause collisions at the start because they are just tha "0.3 seconds behind".

edit: i think "one of my secrets of beeing one of the faster guys at start" is to not use all of these TC/SC ... i'm smoking like hell at start, never seen any smoke from others (or is this intended to be so?)

cpcdem
05-12-2017, 17:40
Do you also time your start perfectly maybe? Unfortunately in this game the red lights go off after a fixed amount of time, so with experience you can time the start perfectly, just "before" the red lights go out. Some times I have took that risk and this way overtook more than 2-3 cars on start. On the other hand, I've also got a few drive throughs for not timing it perfectly :)

beatrunner
05-12-2017, 17:46
ofcourse i'm absolutely ready when the lights starting: 1st gear is in, brake with toes, bring up revs with heel (are these the right words...), waiting for green and then hell: full throttle, let the clutch come, let the tire smoke and off i am ;-). it's nut just once...it's every time (at least the last 4 days or so (50 races)...)...

i mean i like it to be fast. if i start on p1-p4 i'm always pretty sure to have a great race...because when the first unexperienced drivers arrive at t1, the leaders are away and enjoy great races...we two for sure had our fights in gt3 class (B-Runner). and i see you hold some gt3 records in TT (which i never do).

cpcdem
05-12-2017, 17:57
Ah, it's you! :) Yeah, we've had good races man! Looking forward also to some more touring cars action..
Yeah, this is exactly the reason sometimes I risk the start, to make sure I go ahead quickly and have less chance being rammed in T1. But when I've qualified in midfield, I don't worry about a good start, just try my best to make it through the first corners unharmed and push later.

About TT, I'm finding it is a very good way to learn tracks, improve my speed by following other ghosts, do setup work etc. Getting some WRs where possible is an extra bonus :)

beatrunner
05-12-2017, 18:00
yes its me, the completely ferrari gt3 addicted :rolleyes:
i've not driven a TC in PC2 (only tried for short time)...these are 4wd, right?...i'll try them out for sure one day, as i see it's the 2nd most popular carclass atm in mp.

cpcdem
05-12-2017, 18:04
Ah, sorry, one of the times we raced together I later did also TC races (they were a blast!) and had the impression you were there, too. Yeah, I'm also a (plain red) 488 addict, although now that the balance has shifted, I need to get over it and use other cars :) as well (the M6 sounds the best option so far).

Balles
05-12-2017, 18:22
I'm slow at start usually as I try to not burn the tyres as I would do IRL. But I don't care because I'm fast after that ! :p

spanner
05-12-2017, 20:26
I'm never entirly sure when to go, when the last red row comes on or when the green comes on. I go on green but in most races i get swamped!

MaximusN
05-12-2017, 20:41
I'm never entirly sure when to go, when the last red row comes on or when the green comes on. I go on green but in most races i get swamped!

Green, but there is a little leeway(in distance) because the game allows the car to roll a bit(happens if you depress the clutch when on a hill).

I guess the biggest difference comes from using automatic clutch or not. When using automatic it doesn't let you spin the wheels very well. The quickest starts I get are(when using paddles) on manual clutch, full throttle and select first the moment the light goes green and then modulate wheelspin(if necessary at all) with the throttle.

ATSS
07-12-2017, 11:34
With the BMW M6 i never get a good start its almost stalls at the starts, but the Porsche.. damn thats like a rocket at every race start.

kofotsjanne
08-12-2017, 04:29
i think one of the reasons people are slow at the start is because they use the stock TC value which is alot if i remember correctly.

Ah, sorry, one of the times we raced together I later did also TC races (they were a blast!) and had the impression you were there, too. Yeah, I'm also a (plain red) 488 addict, although now that the balance has shifted, I need to get over it and use other cars :) as well (the M6 sounds the best option so far).
Agree about the m6. I have mostly been driving the Porsche since release but tried m6 and really love the sound. It drives pretty good too.

Nyreen
08-12-2017, 22:36
I mostly drive without TC (it should only be used to prevent tire wear and mistakes under rain, cold track or worn tires). And I find myself going slower at the start than the guys behind. I often am overtook and have to run the outside line first corner.

It would be easier with a 1/8 drag strip, but I trust my feelings and did some tests on a private track. Shifting 1st at green light ; let the clutch slip ; mid-rpm ; full rpm then trying to manage wheel spin. In every test, I remained faster with the casual way : clutching 1st gear before green light, hitting rev limiter, minimum clutch slip and let tires retrieve grip by themselves. I used to start in 2nd gear in the B-A license tests on Gran Turismo 3 but that doesn't work lol

So what's your technique then ?

rich1e I
08-12-2017, 23:25
I'm absolutely terrible at the start. I usually lose 1 or 2 positions but I'm not sure why. It happens that I gain positions but mostly I lose a few. I guess others are a blink of an eye earlier on the gas and maybe because I don't want to take the risk because a DT basically means end of race.

kofotsjanne
09-12-2017, 07:03
I'm absolutely terrible at the start. I usually lose 1 or 2 positions but I'm not sure why. It happens that I gain positions but mostly I lose a few. I guess others are a blink of an eye earlier on the gas and maybe because I don't want to take the risk because a DT basically means end of race.
Have you tried to use less TC or even take it off completely? Im able to pass quite a few at the start even though im not looking to get the car going at the exact ms the lights turn green, im like you and try to be more safe to not get penalty.

unless theres some weird bug that have some drivers see the starting light quicker than others?

rich1e I
09-12-2017, 11:49
Have you tried to use less TC or even take it off completely? Im able to pass quite a few at the start even though im not looking to get the car going at the exact ms the lights turn green, im like you and try to be more safe to not get penalty.

unless theres some weird bug that have some drivers see the starting light quicker than others?

I haven't tried without TC, I've set everything to real, but I tried TC at 25 and 30% which basically turns TC off but it was the same. I guess I'm either too cautious or just terrible at starts, maybe both ^^

F2kSel
09-12-2017, 12:31
I know in beta that you could anticipate the lights as they were a fixed time, I don't know if that was ever addressed as I haven't been online that much.
You could almost reach the car in front "AI" before he moves gaining a significant advantage.

MaximusN
09-12-2017, 12:34
I haven't tried without TC, I've set everything to real, but I tried TC at 25 and 30% which basically turns TC off but it was the same. I guess I'm either too cautious or just terrible at starts, maybe both ^^

TC is terrible for starts unless the engine has a lot of lowdown grunt. The reason is at any sign of wheelspin, the engine will cut power and send you down to a low torque rpm range, which it will have to push through to get any decent acceleration again. The opposite is lots of wheel spin but that's still better than getting to an rpm range where the engine has no power. In ideal situation you'd modulate with throttle and clutch, but while I find that easy to do in a real car, I don't when the feedback is mostly aural.

So what I do is in most cars(unless too powerful) floor it and then either release clutch or put it in first. If there is too much wheelspin just back of the throttle a bit and floor it again(most of the time the tires will grip and no longer spin in your second 'flooring'). This all using manual clutch, because auto-clutch wants to help you by modulating the clutch, but I think it slows you down(not sure, but I like manual better, so I don't really care :) )

rich1e I
09-12-2017, 13:16
TC is terrible for starts unless the engine has a lot of lowdown grunt. The reason is at any sign of wheelspin, the engine will cut power and send you down to a low torque rpm range, which it will have to push through to get any decent acceleration again. The opposite is lots of wheel spin but that's still better than getting to an rpm range where the engine has no power. In ideal situation you'd modulate with throttle and clutch, but while I find that easy to do in a real car, I don't when the feedback is mostly aural.

So what I do is in most cars(unless too powerful) floor it and then either release clutch or put it in first. If there is too much wheelspin just back of the throttle a bit and floor it again(most of the time the tires will grip and no longer spin in your second 'flooring'). This all using manual clutch, because auto-clutch wants to help you by modulating the clutch, but I think it slows you down(not sure, but I like manual better, so I don't really care :) )

I know, especially on default which is 0.09 on the ICM it slows you down a lot, not only at the start. I was thinking about mapping a button with TC on/off but I went for other - at least to me - more important stuff. Maybe I'll try and find out the exact time between last red light and green. I'd say it's 3 seconds.

beatrunner
11-12-2017, 20:43
TC and automatic clutch are the fast starters nightmare :D