PDA

View Full Version : Audi V8 GR.A Setup and driving style

manzomo
06-12-2017, 20:49
hello! I've been looking for AUDI V8 setups and discussions but couldn't find any.
I've just started GR.A season and have a hard time understanding how to handle the Audi, I guess because it's AWD. But I also wonder if something in the setups can make the difference. I've problems in getting it out right of a corner, and also mid cornering.. it easily spins in oversteer, the back overtaking the front. I'll keep trying my driving style ad tweaking the setups (not sure if a Loose one is better), in the meantime every tip is welcome! Thank you in advance ;-)

Nyreen
06-12-2017, 21:59
Hi ! I personnally think the V8 is a very stable car. The sound is gorgeous, too. I don't drive it much in multiplayer since the BNR32 is a little bit faster, but I sure love to take the Audi for a ride and it's a pleasure everytime.

First, are you playing with a wheel or a controller ? I'm using a wheel and loose default setup works fine enough. I never had such issues with AWD handling, it has some boost lag and should have a bit of understeer mid-corner (AWD is heavier + front engine). On the other hand, you should also have more grip so in my mind, it should be an easy and stable car compared to other Gr.A cars, and from what I remember driving it, it's totally that.

You know, maybe you need to get used to the handling. The first time I did the CXC Simulation event, on Sonoma in a '70 Porsche prototype, it was very scary and the car handled like crap, I was spinning out every corner. Worst car I ever drove, until two days ago. I tried again and the car just felt great, only because I'm now used to driving wild monsters (take the F40LM for a drive and experience the sh*t show).

Notice the clutch doesn't work as intended. Left-foot brake the car and blip the throttle on downshifts. Maybe you're upsetting the car when shifting ?

I'll drive the car and get a feel for it again, so I'll try to help you the more I can. Can you tell me more about the handling issues ? The race engineer will not be able to help you on that one, but maybe we can !

hkraft300
06-12-2017, 22:14
. I've problems in getting it out right of a corner, and also mid cornering.. it easily spins in oversteer, the back overtaking the front.

Its Awd. Drive it like an awd. Throw it in to the corner. In rwd cars you have to counter steer, balance the throttle to catch a slide. In awd and fwd cars you just... floor it. Throttle on when the car gets loose. Counterintuitive, but you have to drive it differently and use the front wheels to drag you out.

manzomo
06-12-2017, 22:49
thank you for the replies. I've a G29 with pedals.
I believe the problem I have is power oversteer.. when accelerating out of a corner, the car starts to spin if I'm too early on pushing down the throttle.
I've tweaked the differentials a bit (increased power ramp. Btw, why on the front I've a viscous diff, a geared one in the centre, and a Clutch LSD on the back? I've changed the front one to clutch, not sure it's a good idea or makes any difference), and also increased rear downforce. I've also adapted my driving, being more careful when getting out of corners. I'm now making better times (5th in qualifiers) but with low difficulty as said above. And I still spin in power oversteer to much...

Nyreen
06-12-2017, 23:51
Drove on Laguna Seca with it. Aside from the weird FFB the car has (rumbling through track elevations, had the same issue on Watkins Glen and when playing H-pattern car with the F1 rim, well it's unsettling), it drives great ! I did a 1:33.150ish withing three laps, without pushing and without tuning the car. Below 1:32 is manageable with obvious tuning (downforce, tire pressure and closed radiators), let alone better driving.

I'm a bit sorry not to relate with the car behavior. It just felt great through my hands, so either your wheel lack a proper in-game setup, or you need to work on your driving, the feeling of the car. Without any tuning it's a good car, and already was pre-patch (where you are now on the PS4, right ?). Don't take this badly, improving laptimes is a great satisfaction :) And do not rely on AI for laptimes, they are inaccurate. Instead, go on a track in TT mode and target yourself on a beatable laptime done by someone else.

As Hkraft said, it's an AWD and you should be a bit more bold with throttle inputs. But, if you're new to simracing (as I was) and Gr.A is your step after Ginetta's (as I did), then it's a different story because these nimble, low-horsepower RWD cars are the fastest when you mash the throttle to steer the back on the exit. The G40 is a kart ! Instead, focus on this simple technique : the more you steer, the less the brake (trail-braking, you can skip that one for the moment) ; apex ; the less you steer, the more the throttle. Especially on the exit (where you have troubles), since it's an AWD, you can have a lot of throttle input right after the apex, but try to stay at 70, 80% and full throttle only when you're straight. Honestly, you shouldn't lose grip, otherwise I'm dumber than I thought !

manzomo
08-12-2017, 16:05

As Hkraft said, it's an AWD and you should be a bit more bold with throttle inputs. But, if you're new to simracing (as I was) and Gr.A is your step after Ginetta's (as I did), then it's a different story because these nimble, low-horsepower RWD cars are the fastest when you mash the throttle to steer the back on the exit. The G40 is a kart ! Instead, focus on this simple technique : the more you steer, the less the brake (trail-braking, you can skip that one for the moment) ; apex ; the less you steer, the more the throttle. Especially on the exit (where you have troubles), since it's an AWD, you can have a lot of throttle input right after the apex, but try to stay at 70, 80% and full throttle only when you're straight. Honestly, you shouldn't lose grip, otherwise I'm dumber than I thought !

Thanks a lot for the clear tip on how to negotiate a corner! I've improved my qualifiers time and got 3rd for race, that I won with 50+ secs on P2! That's the thing though: how comes they're so strong in qualifiers and so weak in race? it was a wet race and I know that AI has issues with rain. However, in another race, another class (Formula C), besides the tyre problems that might got solved with the latest patch, I was much faster than P2 in qualifiers but in race P2 and P3 have been behind my tail for the whole race. The baseline is: the AI is very inconsistent, making the career mode less challenging and entertaining. I think I should post my reflection on AI as a new thread, but... what's your experience?

Nyreen
08-12-2017, 21:18
I don't have a lot of experience with the AI. I moved quickly to multiplayer (after the GT3 championship) and I rarely come back to career mode. This is where I pushed myself the most because it made sense - to me - to be competitive against other players. I don't want to brag about my WR laptimes on popular tracks but I will, only to say I made a BIG step forward by forgetting the AI a little bit. They are totally inaccurate but they are the only way to race any day on any track with any car (quick race mode).

Back on the topic, have you improved your cornering technique ? I read my post again and I didn't mention how important it is to be smooth about your inputs : steering, brake and throttle. It's all about weight transfer and what your tires can handle.

manzomo
10-12-2017, 14:45
Back on the topic, have you improved your cornering technique ? I read my post again and I didn't mention how important it is to be smooth about your inputs : steering, brake and throttle. It's all about weight transfer and what your tires can handle.

what about V8 setups for ice? As a starting point, what's better in principle? Loose or stable? I'm working on Loose now but not sure it's a good idea...

Nyreen
10-12-2017, 18:54
I tried the V8 (and the Nissan) under rain conditions and the Mercedes Ice Track. The R32 handles a bit like a RWD with counter-steering and light direction. On the other hand, the V8 suffers from understeer (even under ice track) which is uncommon to me but it makes the car very (too much) stable with loose setup.

Both cars are AWD and they both handle really well under those conditions. Despite the Audi being slower, it is the easiest to drive and I still can't relate with the issues you're having with it. :confused:

manzomo
10-12-2017, 21:50
I tried the V8 (and the Nissan) under rain conditions and the Mercedes Ice Track. The R32 handles a bit like a RWD with counter-steering and light direction. On the other hand, the V8 suffers from understeer (even under ice track) which is uncommon to me but it makes the car very (too much) stable with loose setup.

Both cars are AWD and they both handle really well under those conditions. Despite the Audi being slower, it is the easiest to drive and I still can't relate with the issues you're having with it. :confused:

Thanks for looking into this.
After being able to negotiate the V8 on dry track, I believe I simply need to learn how to drive it on ice too. However, my question was different. in other words, how do you set up an AWD car to handle better on ice?

hkraft300
10-12-2017, 21:51
what about V8 setups for ice? As a starting point, what's better in principle? Loose or stable? I'm working on Loose now but not sure it's a good idea...

Loose. Give it more front grip so you can steer it. The back end follows or can be brought in line with the throttle. If you don’t hav3 front grip, you can5 steer the car.

manzomo
25-12-2017, 23:18
Loose. Give it more front grip so you can steer it. The back end follows or can be brought in line with the throttle. If you don’t hav3 front grip, you can5 steer the car.

In fact it seems that snow in Career mode is broken...