PDA

View Full Version : Racecar windshields don't shatter.

Iconiqk
07-12-2017, 22:51
Common knowledge dictates race cars are equipped with polycarbonate windshields, and have been for many many years. They are durable and flexible, allowing them to bend and distort in ways glass can't. That being said, why are race cars in the game equipped with glass windshields? A high speed collision within PC2 will yield a cracked and shattered screen. Unlike glass, polycarbonate won't shatter, it'll bend and perhaps even pop off completely, but it won't shatter. Only road going cars should suffer this fate in PC2. Was this intentionally done for a "wow" effect across the board or something that was overlooked?

That being said, patch 3.0 is a wonderful patch, thank you to everyone involved in your continued efforts to improve an already amazing experience.

Mahjik
07-12-2017, 23:45
Artistic license.

Sentry87
08-12-2017, 03:32
If race cars hit hard enough they do shatter windshields. But I agree pc2, too easy to shatter. Unless I'm hitting barriers harder then I realize.

Alan Dallas
08-12-2017, 07:12
Common knowledge dictates race cars are equipped with polycarbonate windshields, and have been for many many years. They are durable and flexible, allowing them to bend and distort in ways glass can't. That being said, why are race cars in the game equipped with glass windshields? A high speed collision within PC2 will yield a cracked and shattered screen. Unlike glass, polycarbonate won't shatter, it'll bend and perhaps even pop off completely, but it won't shatter. Only road going cars should suffer this fate in PC2. Was this intentionally done for a "wow" effect across the board or something that was overlooked?

That being said, patch 3.0 is a wonderful patch, thank you to everyone involved in your continued efforts to improve an already amazing experience.
Not over looked. The effect was created for Road cars way back in Madness Engines early days(Shift series), which the game still has. It's been held over through multiple iterations. There's simply not a separate code path to distinguish the difference for the windshield material. And yes SMS is aware of the difference. Have been for years. It's just not a priority.

Itzcoatl
08-12-2017, 09:10
Not over looked. The effect was created for Road cars way back in Madness Engines early days(Shift series), which the game still has. It's been held over through multiple iterations. There's simply not a separate code path to distinguish the difference for the windshield material. And yes SMS is aware of the difference. Have been for years. It's just not a priority.

It seems odd then that SMS, famed for their attention to detail, have included a fully functional lunar calendar in PC2 but not fixed the race windscreens. Not a complaint, just an observation :P

forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57595-Attention-to-detail-The-Moon

Invincible
08-12-2017, 09:18
It seems odd then that SMS, famed for their attention to detail, have included a fully functional lunar calendar in PC2 but not fixed the race windscreens. Not a complaint, just an observation :P

forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57595-Attention-to-detail-The-Moon

I think integrating a calendar is easier than making the physics system differentiate between varying materials and have a unique crash behaviour for each material.
We currently have the same problem with carbon and steel materials on the cars body. Carbon does shatter, steel deforms.
I think this will be something to tackle in the next iteration. But it could as well be too much to handle for the next one and moved onto Pcars 4 or such.

Sankyo
08-12-2017, 09:21

Different people working on that, most probably.