PDA

View Full Version : To say I am pissed off with PC2 is an understatment...(Rant about rain/need help)

PUGS
08-12-2017, 02:30
I don't get mad with video games...like ever. I work 40 hours a week and when I come home to game, I want to have fun. But what happened over the course of the last two days just absolutely set me off to where I am starting to wish I never bought PC2 or was even introduced to the series.

Since I purchased on the game on release, I have only been racing in career mode. I started in Formula Rookie, and made my way up the ranks to Formula A. Formula A has been an absolute nightmare to say the least. The car is really hard to drive and for the first half of my season was a real struggle. I kept spinning out on turns, sliding in some cases - it's just tough to get my bearings in the car. I really wanted to improve and started reading and watching youtube videos about how to tune the car.

So that's what I did. I spent A LOT of time researching about how to improve car performance through tuning. What I did on Tuesday night was get in my Formula A car, drive in default settings and start tweaking, one component at a time. Little by little, messing around with springs, the dampers, the differentials, etc. Eventually I get to the point where my time has drastically improved, I am finally beating the CPU with ease and can finally consider kicking up the difficulty. The turns are smooth, I'm understanding why the car does some of the things it does, etc. I am driving with confidence and feeling like I can finally compete at a higher level. Awesome. I mean, I spent 2 nights on the track familiarizing myself with the tuning setups, driving the car, everything...this is what it's all about.

I get into practice and look at that...first place. Amazing. I am living the dream. Then qualifying starts and, hey would you look at that...it's drizzling. Then we go from drizzle to absolute downpour towards the end of the qualifying round. And just like in Project Cars 1, I cannot drive in rain for ****. It's like I completely forgot what a car even is. The car is about 4 seconds slower per lap (at Imola), driving like crap, slipping and sliding all over the place. Somehow I still manage to get a 3rd place qualifying, but only due to my driving on the second lap.

Now we get to the race...I'm starting in 3rd place and the lights out, time to move. Well let me state for the record that I had to restart the race about 30 times. No, I'm not kidding. I literally mean 30 times. I counted. Every. Single. Time. I hit the gas, my car's nose is in the wall. If I ease on the gas and take my time, I still drop down to 8th place leading into turn one. There is literally no way that anyone in the world could possibly drive that car, with wet tires, in the rain and manage to keep 3rd place. I wouldn't believe someone if they told me. If you showed me a video, I'd think it was fabricated. I. Tried. EVERYTHING. Everything from pedal to the floor to 1 cm of pressure on the pedal. Nothing worked.

I begrudgingly change my setup to the default stable setup AND turn on (for the first time since I bought the game) assists, out of pure anger and frustrating and in hopes that I can finally have a damn race. At this point, I don't even want to win..I want to finish. So I FINALLY, after so many tries, manage to get going past turn one and this is where things become a even worse of a nightmare. The car is a complete and absolute **** show. The car slides, it slips, it goes into the wall. If I touch the gas, tap it every so slightly on a turn, the back gives out, and I'm done for. There is just absolutely no way for me to manage keeping my place. The only solution that makes sense at this point is to drop the difficulty to 10 and drive like a 90 year senior citizen who is partially blind. I cannot believe after 50 hours in the game that I can't get through two laps without crashing.

I do not understand rain in Project Cars. At this point, I'd wish that weather would just be removed completely. I'm not just pissed, I'm about to say the hell with this game all together. And while we're at it, WHY IS IT RAINING AT SO MANY OF THE DAMN CAREER EVENTS. Is the world flooding? Is there a reason why almost every race has to have some level of rain in it? I watch F1 every Sunday that's it on and it rains like 5% of the time, if that...what in the hell is going on?

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything I have stated? I'm desperate for some advice. I can't come home tweak my car for extended periods of time to match the track, and then be forced to restart 30 times because it's raining. It's insane, it's stupid, completely not fun, and an dog ****.

Thanks for listening.

WorthAbuy
08-12-2017, 02:54
I think it is best for you to take a break and play another game until the next patch is out. I think this topic will get closed btw.

Ian Bell
08-12-2017, 02:56
I've read this rant and have no clue what your issues are. Apart from, 'I can't drive very well in the rain'... Are you running with the patch or was this a saved up rant?

PUGS
08-12-2017, 03:05
Patch is installed.

Foofer37
08-12-2017, 03:07
Here's my advice, take it for what it's worth.
I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in racing/driving sims. Played most of them. After all this time I've come to this conclusion:

No matter what game/sim it is: You have to make it work for YOU. Never mind what other people say about "Ooooh. I have the AI set to 100. I can beat them at 100, or whatever. Who cares. I could care less. Even if I could, which I can in many instances, what does it mean? To me, not much. What matters to me is: Is this like driving a real race car? right now. Is it? Am I enjoying this? Is this how it would be for me if I were driving the real thing? Am I having fun? Is this fun?

After countless hours of this and that I set each game up to work for me. As far as PCars2 goes: I have the AI set to like 10. Aggression=0. Does this mean I suck? No. Not at all. Because I also take pretty much every race car and set it up to have hard slicks, no wing front and rear, low fuel, no assists. Then I just set up quick races. About 15 AI cars, pick my class, track and race. I learn to drive with the AI. I learn to drive as I would in a real race car. I feel the car moving around, sliding a bit under power, under braking etc. It is a TOTAL BLAST. Give it a shot. Take your time. Get the feel of the game this way. You will not regret it.
There. Now the game is suddenly an astounding piece of kit, that you will rave about. Believe me. And driving in the rain? No problem. With the AI set as I mentioned, with wets on, you will be able to take your time, yet still race and have fun. Turn the AI up as you go. Little by little. But keep this in mind: Very important. It all depends what you car/class you drive on what track!!! Certain cars/classes on certain tracks are a bit out of whack and will seem way to difficult. This may have gotten better with the latest update. I haven't tried them all since, but I'm working through them again and they do seem better.
For example, I just did this race tonight and had a smile ear to ear on my face the whole time: BMW M1 at Daytona Road course. AI set to 5. Yes, 5. Aggression=0. Car set to Hard tires, no wing fuel at 20L.
Give it a try my friend. Career doesn't mean much. Just have fun. Make the game work for you! Cheers

Ian Bell
08-12-2017, 03:11
Patch is installed.

Avoid rain PUGS... As much as you can. Or, learn to setup and/or get a good wet setup online or from a friend. Our stable setups are stable 'dry' setups. For wet go higher, softer suspension, more rear wing, softer ARB,s go with a more forgiving differential. And make sure you have wets obviously.

TooMuchCyanide
08-12-2017, 03:16
I'm curious to know if you're using a wheel or controller, and what settings you have for them. Perhaps something's wrong there?

PUGS
08-12-2017, 03:28
Avoid rain PUGS... As much as you can. Or, learn to setup and/or get a good wet setup online or from a friend. Our stable setups are stable 'dry' setups. For wet go higher, softer suspension, more rear wing, softer ARB,s go with a more forgiving differential. And make sure you have wets obviously.

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot now. Any suggestions where to get a setup online? I’ve never done that.

PUGS
08-12-2017, 03:29
I'm curious to know if you're using a wheel or controller, and what settings you have for them. Perhaps something's wrong there?

I’m using a wheel. No dead zone, sensitivity at 50.

TooMuchCyanide
08-12-2017, 04:06
I’m using a wheel. No dead zone, sensitivity at 50.

No discrepancies there. All I can really suggest at this point is lower tire pressures (Ian already suggested this) and maybe some more rear wing? I've used the Formula A very little (especially in the wet) so I can't really help here I'm afraid :(

PUGS
08-12-2017, 04:32
Okay I'm going to follow up on the advice that has been given thus far. I have adjusted the height of the car, decreased psi to almost as low as it could go, softened the ARB, and increased differential.

I drove 30-40 mph over 3 specific puddles that are covering entire turns at Imola. The car spun out on every single one of those turns on every single lap. 30-40 mph...there is absolutely no way to avoid these three puddles without going completely off the track. There's no way for me to turn the car either.

I would love to see someone drive a Formula A, in heavy rain, at Imola. I'm completely stumped.

Hilazza
08-12-2017, 04:36
Can you give examples of your times in dry at imola vs your times in the wet? It should give us a ballpark idea of where your at

z3r0cool77
08-12-2017, 04:40
Okay I'm going to follow up on the advice that has been given thus far. I have adjusted the height of the car, decreased psi to almost as low as it could go, softened the ARB, and increased differential.

I drove 30-40 mph over 3 specific puddles that are covering entire turns at Imola. The car spun out on every single one of those turns on every single lap. 30-40 mph...there is absolutely no way to avoid these three puddles without going completely off the track. There's no way for me to turn the car either.

I would love to see someone drive a Formula A, in heavy rain, at Imola. I'm completely stumped.

Low pressure is not necessarily good in the rain. The thought might be "increase mechanical grip" however if the tire is too soft the contact patch can become concave and increase hydroplaning. A higher pressure tire should actually do a better job of moving water out from beneath the tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=3

Ian Bell
08-12-2017, 04:46

Straighten up and hold mid throttle through the puddles.

Formula A is supposed to aquaplane and be almost uncontrollable in heavy puddles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwZUOJJhd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3t56uLqlVI

PUGS
08-12-2017, 04:55
My quickest lap time at Imola is 1.37.23.

On a full rain storm, I don't remember my fastest - though I know I didn't get anything under 2.

PUGS
08-12-2017, 04:56
Straighten up and hold mid throttle through the puddles.

Formula A is supposed to aquaplane and be almost uncontrollable in heavy puddles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwZUOJJhd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3t56uLqlVI

Oh I know it can be done in real life. I watch the sport. I just can't see that happening in this game lol

z3r0cool77
08-12-2017, 05:12
Having just tried it I have to say its pretty insane. The puddles are running right through the apex on a number of corners. I only messed with it a few minutes and tried to line them up to cross with the wheels straight but its extremely difficult. The best luck I seemed to have was actually trying to take them faster, rely in the downforce to save me and slide through them and pray to catch it on the other side. It worked a couple times but would be pretty insane to attempt in a race. Failing to catch it means sand at best and lost wings most likely.

If thats part of the formula a career I think I’ll have to pass. ;)

WellRED Barron
08-12-2017, 05:15
I find a light tap on the brake right before I am forced through a big puddle can slam the weight to the front and delay the aquaplane until the rears hit, and by then the fronts are often out of the puddle and back in control. But dunno about your Formula car.

N0body Of The Goat
08-12-2017, 05:21
Just tried 5 laps of thunderstorm with default untouched setup, best of ~1min54secs (~9min58secs for whole race against myself), I've not driven at Imola in months nevermind in the rain.;)

Had one spin and two minor offs, former at T10 Acque Minerali and latter at T14/15 Rivazza.

Those puddles right across the track seem to have to be taken at 90 degrees and barely any throttle, when accelerating from corners I'm not going full throttle until ~5th gear, braking very early and softly.

Very tricky... Especially having not long been up and going into the test "blind!"

Shepard2603
08-12-2017, 05:38
Regarding the rain, I experienced something similar in the career with the Ginetta GT5 @Silverstone. The AI was blasting through the puddles, and I was being thrown around by the aquaplaning with no to minimum throttle. I didn't fiddle with the setup though, next time I will take Ians advises into account.

balderz002
08-12-2017, 05:38
One tip. If your looking for help, try to seem humble and open to advice. When I saw your thread title, i didn't think ' here's a bloke I want to help'. You can get infractions for a potty mouth, so try not to swear in the title.

TooMuchCyanide
08-12-2017, 06:02
I managed a lap of 1:44.5 in Thunderstorms, with the default stable setup (with the exception of slightly closed brake ducts), no assists, with a controller. It's definitely doable, keep at it man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSF6sC4h2WY

ttb57
08-12-2017, 06:35
This isn't a post I would normally respond to but I'll break from the norm. This isn't directed at anyone or any particular post but there are a number of these "it's impossible" posts. I consider myself to be a pretty good wet weather racer and I've put up a few rain servers lately and have noticed things with a lot of racers. I see people who seem intimidated the second they leave their garage (not a good start) and I see a lot of racers who try to drive a slower version of what they would in the dry. It really doesn't work that way. I have to pick a whole new race line, learn how to handle each bit of standing water that I have to encounter, some are puddles, others are freaking lakes (under the bridge at Monza Historic is a perfect example) but they are all totally manageable, at least in the cars I usually drive. Never driven the modern Formula cars but I'll give them a run in a thunderstorm and see if I change my opinion.

Chimildo
08-12-2017, 07:22
Maybe this would be a good topic for yorkies next video. Maybe some tips on setup , driving style, and when it's best to change tyres and stuff.
I was in a lobby the other night and it was set to December so a cold donington, it was also set for 24 cycle, I've not really done much in PCARS 2 so I was struggling with grip in the cold then when the rain came I thought I'd do one more lap which was a huge mistake and couldn't keep on track. Got back to pits changed to wets everything good. Then the track dried and I finished the race on wets (probably another 40mins) without the tyres over heating or wearing which I wouldn't have thought should be right. And when the race finished some people hadn't pitted and I thought how on earth did they manage to make it through the storm without a pit stop, maybe they did the whole race on wet? Anyway I'm just babbling here

Ciccina2016
08-12-2017, 07:35
I would say simply to not concentrate all your frustration on playing games dude.

Keena
08-12-2017, 08:26
Higher suspension/ride height might help. I don't know if it's modelled but the floor of the car aquaplaning might be lifting the tyres off the surface.

Mark Race
08-12-2017, 09:04
Oh it's 'impossible' alright - if we are talking about an impossible amount of fun. The rain and dynamic puddles, especially with a time cycle are what make this game stand out for me. It's the extra level of challenge that few other track biased racing games have. It certainly feels close to real wet track handling to me. Previously the AI were a bit slow even at 120% skill but since patch 3 they are a challenge. Some excellent setup advice here in this thread too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2szn--0fj_s&t

Stone Cold Stig
08-12-2017, 09:10
Oh it's 'impossible' alright - if we are talking about an impossible amount of fun. The rain and dynamic puddles, especially with a time cycle are what make this game stand out for me. It's the extra level of challenge that few other track biased racing games have. It certainly feels close to real wet track handling to me. Previously the AI were a bit slow even at 120% skill but since patch 3 they are a challenge. Some excellent setup advice here in this thread too.

now thats what i want to hear.

The raw beauty of tension and chaos!!!

Stone Cold Stig
08-12-2017, 09:23
And THE WILL TO OVERCOME IT!!

davidt33
08-12-2017, 09:51
One tip. If your looking for help, try to seem humble and open to advice. When I saw your thread title, i didn't think ' here's a bloke I want to help'. You can get infractions for a potty mouth, so try not to swear in the title.

Yeah but that was pure frustration being expressed at the time because of the terrible issues he was experiencing. Hard to suppress at times.

balderz002
08-12-2017, 11:05
Yeah but that was pure frustration being expressed at the time because of the terrible issues he was experiencing. Hard to suppress at times.

Then What I would do is, take a step back, wait 10 minutes, calm down, then come on here. Open a thread in this forum subsection: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?156-The-Garage-Car-Setup-Talk and ask for help setting up a Formula A car at a wet Imola. Ask for tips, ideas, and guidance. Not rant kick and scream.

You could filter out 80% of the OP and still get the message.

hkraft300
08-12-2017, 12:13
Wet racing in pc1 compared to PC2 was basic. Really basic. The track got wet. Wet tires had the same low grip everywhere on the track (it got worse in storm, that’s all). I can call it basic compared to the LT3 voodoo magic.

Even so, I’d seen plenty of good racers, quick racers, buckle in the rain. They would stay out too long on slicks, or be too rough on the throttle, or get their braking points all wrong... sure the grip change was a bit sudden but you’d know it’s coming and prepare. Driving in rain was same as driving in the dry but slower.

I thought PC2 would be much the same. I thought it’d be impossible to see the puddles, or they’d have little to no effect on handling but look nice.

Bloody hell was I wrong. You can’t drive the track the same way. You can’t take the same lines. You have to watch and take a mental note of puddles lap by lap. How fast are they growing in your brake zones, are there puddles on exits, is there water mid corner, where are the rivers...
Yes, rivers. Gotta watch out for the water flowing and draining across the track too.
Public MP is full of sunny cool dry sprints. League races are much the same.
Other titles haven’t got their heads around static wet racing so we’ve got little to no experience at it.

Then SMS done thrown us LT3 and ‘avin a Larf while we fumble about.

SlowBloke
08-12-2017, 12:18
Formula A in wet - is also pretty much the pinnacle of how hard it is - Id start of with something a lot slower.

ie if your set on single seaters grab the slowest one get used to that before moving up.

hkraft300
08-12-2017, 12:27
Also Imola gets right flooded between T8-9. In that valley section.
Good fun in the Panoz.

I’ve seen a lot of recommendations of crawling over the puddles. Don’t bother I say. Get past them as fast as you can to the grippy section beyond, that way you’ve regained traction and control before your car floats away.

Don’t make big steering throttle or brake movements.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Top tip: try a slower steering ratio in car setup (13.5:1 or higher).

iggy
08-12-2017, 13:34
I don't have patch v1.3 yet, I'm in USA...

but anyway, generally speaking in the v1.2 version of career mode, I could always beat the AI on the settings I used. Yet, when it came to trying to run Imola in the ran, I was just freaking horrible. The only other time I had issues in the rain prior to that Formula A race in the rain at Imola was one time at Silverstone when I was on slicks and it started raining... At Imola, I just absolute was horrible in the rain and it was really frustrating. Now, it may have been that it was Formula A in the rain, not directly related to Imola, but I for sure struggled badly in the rain at Imola, and it just shocked me because I had been so much better in the rain up to that point.

Now, I also noticed that in the demo version where it's raining and then has drying track... I still can't get the hang of that... So, anyway I'm both looking forward to the patch and how it might be in the rain, but also dreading it, because I suspect that my old days of whooping on the AI in the rain are over.

John Hargreaves
08-12-2017, 13:39
Formula A in wet - is also pretty much the pinnacle of how hard it is - Id start of with something a lot slower.

ie if your set on single seaters grab the slowest one get used to that before moving up.

Second that; an F1 car in heavy rain has to be just about the biggest nightmare in motorsport from a driver's perspective, added to the fact that PC2 simulates a level of rain that would probably be red flagged in real life. There are plenty of cars that are fun to drive in the rain, so I'd definitely suggest the less powerful ones to start. A quick race in anything up to GT4 level is going to be pretty good fun I think.

Plato99
08-12-2017, 13:40
I watched a recent "Classic F1 race" (yeah, I know....) on Sky which was a damp race in Hungary from a few years ago.
Those cars looked fiendishly difficult to drive in those conditions. The slightest blip on the throttle saw the cars spinning on their axis.
I dont think F1 cars were ever going to be easy to drive in the rain, which I'm guessing on SMS's part that they got it pretty much nailed on ?

Have you tried Forza 7? It's a bit more forgiving.

Alfisti
08-12-2017, 14:14
I don't think it's the rain as i find PC1 pretty good in the rain, but the FA cars are so twitchy, i just find some of the cars too twitchy, they cannot be that bad in real life. The V8SC is another, massive power oversteer as soon as i touch the gas. I can wring a 2.05 out of a GT3 car around bathurst (PCARS1) but can't get below 2.12 in a V8SC and even that's a one off. IRL in 2013/14 they were running 2.03's and 2.06's.

My one criticism of the physics is that some cars are unbearably twitchy at the rear.

Alfisti
08-12-2017, 14:22

WHat a great vid

Sankyo
08-12-2017, 14:31
I don't think it's the rain as i find PC1 pretty good in the rain, but the FA cars are so twitchy, i just find some of the cars too twitchy, they cannot be that bad in real life. The V8SC is another, massive power oversteer as soon as i touch the gas. I can wring a 2.05 out of a GT3 car around bathurst (PCARS1) but can't get below 2.12 in a V8SC and even that's a one off. IRL in 2013/14 they were running 2.03's and 2.06's.

My one criticism of the physics is that some cars are unbearably twitchy at the rear.
Your comment on the V8SC reminded me of this video. Ken Block, some hate him I know, driving a V8SC for the first time and spinning it out in the first corner. "I wasn't doing anything, I barely touched the throttle!!!!!1!" :)

See video at 3:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVlBsTNhrI

Alfisti
08-12-2017, 14:47
Meh, that's a one ff with a first time driver. Exiting hell corner they ease on the throttle then plant it as she bites (i've watched every bathurst since 1982) but on PC1 i have to be EXTREMELY gentle, just barely touching the gas and i lose so much time.

eracerhead
08-12-2017, 15:14

I was going to say the same. Two days to progress from FRookie to FA in career doesn’t seem near long enough to get used to the new physics, and especially dynamic weather. The FA throttle is touchy even in good conditions. If you can move forward that easily, I’d suggest upping the AI difficulty some more, and just get more practice in.

Leynad
08-12-2017, 17:31
Setup is one thing, but a better driving-line even more important. Early apex on entry should be your best friend (or "slow in, fast out") and trail braking can help in many cars. Most sim-racers don't know basic rules like only full throttle when driving full straight in many cars as well.

bradleyland
08-12-2017, 17:45
Setup is one thing, but a better driving-line even more important. Early apex on entry should be your best friend (or "slow in, fast out") and trail braking can help in many cars. Most sim-racers don't know basic rules like only full throttle when driving full straight in many cars as well.

Early apex is fast in, slow out ;)

I think what you're thinking of is late apex, where you brake in a straight line, deep into the corner, execute a tighter, low-speed turn, line the car up straight again, and gas it in a straight line. Late apexing "straightens" the curvature on entry and exit, but results in a more acute curvature during the actual turn.

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/700/0/uploads/posts/2016/01/5df04ae12b1ae019b24c0425e356b5bf.png

The image quality on that sucks, but the illustration is nearly spot on. The only thing I'd change is the "full throttle" point. You usually apply throttle slightly before the apex when using a late apex corner strategy. That's the whole point of "straightening out" the exit.

z3r0cool77
08-12-2017, 18:01
I don't have patch v1.3 yet, I'm in USA...

but anyway, generally speaking in the v1.2 version of career mode, I could always beat the AI on the settings I used. Yet, when it came to trying to run Imola in the ran, I was just freaking horrible. The only other time I had issues in the rain prior to that Formula A race in the rain at Imola was one time at Silverstone when I was on slicks and it started raining... At Imola, I just absolute was horrible in the rain and it was really frustrating. Now, it may have been that it was Formula A in the rain, not directly related to Imola, but I for sure struggled badly in the rain at Imola, and it just shocked me because I had been so much better in the rain up to that point.

Now, I also noticed that in the demo version where it's raining and then has drying track... I still can't get the hang of that... So, anyway I'm both looking forward to the patch and how it might be in the rain, but also dreading it, because I suspect that my old days of whooping on the AI in the rain are over.

Patch was out on both consoles yesterday in US. By the time of your post you should have it. Ofc if youre not home thats one thing, but its there :)

John Hargreaves
08-12-2017, 18:24
I tried the FA at Imola in the rain, and while I wasn't completely struggling, I agree that it only takes a disagreement with one of those big standing puddles to lose all hope of winning a race (as they don't affect the AI in quite the same way). I guess that is actually quite accurate to the real world, so there you go. I also agree that it's not much fun, but that's how it looks when I watch a really wet F1 race; fun to watch maybe but it doesn't look like much fun being in the drivers seat.

I tried the same race in 90s touring cars and it was much more enjoyable, and also tried the FA race again using TC and SC. Again, pretty good fun and you could have an actual race.

If I was the OP, I'd do the wet races with aids on the FA, or choose a different class to run wet races, either way it will be a lot more enjoyable and you can get back to racing in more favourable conditions.

I think it was said above, but I think the best way to enjoy a sim like this is to mould it to your liking, so that you use it to enjoy your own strengths and skills rather than highlighting and being frustrated by your limitations.

iggy
08-12-2017, 18:28
Patch was out on both consoles yesterday in US. By the time of your post you should have it. Ofc if youre not home thats one thing, but its there :)

I have yet to see anyone in the US say they had the patch yet on a Playstation 4. I'm at work right at the moment , so I can't say for sure that it has or hasn't become available yet... I just know at 6:30AM Eastern time, my PS4 didn't no of any update yet.

John Hargreaves
08-12-2017, 18:33
I don't think the patch will make it much easier to drive an F1 car in heavy rain.

Javaniceday
08-12-2017, 18:39
I wanna take a different approach to this question. OP is upset that he's having a tough time driving a Formula A, which simulates a Formula 1 car, in the rain.

pCARS is a simulator. It simulates what it's like to drive the car in real life. Does OP expect he's gonna be Ayrton Senna at Donington? In my view, it seems to me OP has been conditioned by the reward system of video games nowadays to the point that he expects to win. And if he's not good at something, he feels cheated. The game must be broken - it can't possibly be him.

It's not reasonable, or realistic, to expect to drive a Formula 1 car in the rain, or even complete a single lap, in both real life and a simulator, the second you step into the cockpit. You guys remember what it was like when Richard Hammond tried to drive a Formula 1 car, right?

OP needs to take a step back and remember pCARS2 doesn't owe him a victory. He needs to earn it.

Leper Messiah
08-12-2017, 18:48
Ah I know all about frustration with games so can sympathise with the op, but I can only reinforce what others have said, wet tyres on a dry setup will not make the car drivable in the wet. To go fast in the wet you need a proper wet setup with all the suggestion made here.

Even though I love the weather, it really does need to be random with common sense constraints and not semi scripted in the career. In MGP 15 it's random weather and is so much better with the "unknown" element. It would add a load to re playability of the career too IMO. I also do think that the more extreme weather should be removed from the career to properly simulate how some races are red flagged when the rain is excessive. But of course keep it in for single race/test as driving in a thunder storm is utterly brilliant.

Pete Gaimari
08-12-2017, 18:50
Wet asphalt is slippery.

iggy
08-12-2017, 18:51
I don't think the patch will make it much easier to drive an F1 car in heavy rain.

So, you don't think that the "New rain tyre compound improvements for Group C, GTP, all Formula cars, GT1, and LMP900" will make it easier to drive in the wet?

Egg90
08-12-2017, 19:10
I wanna take a different approach to this question. OP is upset that he's having a tough time driving a Formula A, which simulates a Formula 1 car, in the rain.

pCARS is a simulator. It simulates what it's like to drive the car in real life. Does OP expect he's gonna be Ayrton Senna at Donington? In my view, it seems to me OP has been conditioned by the reward system of video games nowadays to the point that he expects to win. And if he's not good at something, he feels cheated. The game must be broken - it can't possibly be him.

It's not reasonable, or realistic, to expect to drive a Formula 1 car in the rain, or even complete a single lap, in both real life and a simulator, the second you step into the cockpit. You guys remember what it was like when Richard Hammond tried to drive a Formula 1 car, right?

OP needs to take a step back and remember pCARS2 doesn't owe him a victory. He needs to earn it.

Good point. iirc Hammond was told if you take that corner at 90 you'll spin off, if you take it at 120 the downforce will get you round. I thought that was insane lol.
PC2 shouldn't be all about career mode, whizzing through it doesn't give you enough time to get to master the cars/tracks without extensive practicing. However it is a bit mean to put in a heavy rain FA race. If people want to try it away from career they can, but to make it mandatory to unlock the next car is a bit much.
We need a fully configurable offline championship, then we can have a proper season and tailor it to the challenge we're prepared to go upto.

iggy
08-12-2017, 19:20
Good point. iirc Hammond was told if you take that corner at 90 you'll spin off, if you take it at 120 the downforce will get you round. I thought that was insane lol.
PC2 shouldn't be all about career mode, whizzing through it doesn't give you enough time to get to master the cars/tracks without extensive practicing. However it is a bit mean to put in a heavy rain FA race. If people want to try it away from career they can, but to make it mandatory to unlock the next car is a bit much.
We need a fully configurable offline championship, then we can have a proper season and tailor it to the challenge we're prepared to go upto.

As far as I know, if you win all the races that are dry, you can still win your championship if you tank on the wet race(s)

John Hargreaves
08-12-2017, 19:26
So, you don't think that the "New rain tyre compound improvements for Group C, GTP, all Formula cars, GT1, and LMP900" will make it easier to drive in the wet?

I'd guess it would make it more realistic, which might or might not be easier, but I was basing my feedback from my PC version which is patched already.

hkraft300
08-12-2017, 19:49
Wet asphalt is slippery.

Thank you Captain Obvious :glee:

Pete Gaimari
08-12-2017, 20:13
Thank you Captain Obvious :glee:

It didn't seem obvious to the OP wise ass.

bradleyland
08-12-2017, 20:29
Heh, the guy who posted "wet asphalt is slippery" is calling someone else out for being a wise ass. Although, I'm pretty sure hkraft300 earned his wise ass badge a long time ago :D

OperatorWay
08-12-2017, 21:33

I don't see how anybody could get that impression. OP clearly said they put time & effort into practicing, researching, adjusting the tuning setup, experimenting with assists, and trying different driving techniques. OP then shows even more interest in learning further by asking the community for help. Nothing about the situation portrays somebody just looking for a quick & easy win without earning it.

Pete Gaimari
08-12-2017, 22:21
Heh, the guy who posted "wet asphalt is slippery" is calling someone else out for being a wise ass. Although, I'm pretty sure hkraft300 earned his wise ass badge a long time ago :D

I was simply stating what everybody else was saying, but didn't need a long post or video to say it. When it's wet it's harder and you'll be a lot slower. Not sure the OP accepts that. 2 days and he's in a F1. What did he expect? Put in your time and it won't seem so hard.

hkraft300
08-12-2017, 22:41
It didn't seem obvious to the OP wise ass.

I'm Australian. I can't help it :o

Mark Race
08-12-2017, 22:57
WHat a great vid

Thank you it was a lot of fun to play too, wet night racing under the glare of the lights really makes this game for me. A real challenge too.

Leynad
08-12-2017, 23:20
Early apex is fast in, slow out ;)

I think what you're thinking of is late apex, where you brake in a straight line, deep into the corner, execute a tighter, low-speed turn, line the car up straight again, and gas it in a straight line. Late apexing "straightens" the curvature on entry and exit, but results in a more acute curvature during the actual turn.

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/700/0/uploads/posts/2016/01/5df04ae12b1ae019b24c0425e356b5bf.png

The image quality on that sucks, but the illustration is nearly spot on. The only thing I'd change is the "full throttle" point. You usually apply throttle slightly before the apex when using a late apex corner strategy. That's the whole point of "straightening out" the exit.

This terms are very confusing and most racers i see online rarely hit any of these lines and go wide. So when i say, he should hit an early apex it means: don't go wide and take the inner part of the corner in general;). And with rain the more early apex might be better in many corners. I mean the yellow line in this illustration.

Pete Gaimari
09-12-2017, 00:20
I'm Australian. I can't help it :o

I'm Italian and can't help it. :)

Boeng
09-12-2017, 00:45
Although i aggree with most of the statements made here about 'learning to drive' and 'it needs practice' AND to be honest - i also love the mechanics the weather works in PC2 - theres one thing, also mentioned earlier, that maybe should be a bit 'reworked', to make it the fun it actually deserves:

From my experience and all i've seen till now in game, the AI doesn't seem to get too much influenced by the puddles. I've done a lot of races in rain, just because it's a lot of fun. But i've also seen it a lot of times that AI cars just blast through major puddles where i never could get my car through at that speed and still keep control.

Maybe it's all about setups - which would be a bit strange, because the game mentions that AI cars just alter their setups at 80 strength+. But sometimes it really seems odd and a bit frustrating to see all the AI cars riding just through a big puddle in the middle of a corner without loosing any grip - just as if there is no puddle for them. No countersteering, no sliding, just keeping the normal race line at full (rain-) Speed.

Just to give an example:

Going for a GT3 same class Opponent race in Oulton Park, Thunderstorm, coming from the straight and right into Old Hall Corner, there is a always a quite big puddle right at the curbs, directly covering the Apex. Im going with the Porsche quite wide to avoid the puddle, the AI's in front of me keeping the raceline and targeting the Apex:

They are going straight through the puddle at full Speed, without showing any slip or loosing any traction. If i would go into a puddle like this as the AI does, it would at least send me straight through, hopefully regaining traction and Control in the middle of the curve. Most likely it would send me of the course. Is this really just Setup - based or are the AI cars just not affected by puddles?

Pete Gaimari
09-12-2017, 00:57
Show me a sim that the AI is at the same disadvantage that the player is at? We just have to deal with it until they figure out how to make better AI. They're just computer programs and can do what they want if that's how they're programmed.

morpwr
09-12-2017, 01:03
Look how long it took r3e and ac to get really good ai.

Boeng
09-12-2017, 01:05
I'm not blaming anyone or talking about PC2 is a bad sim because of this. I'm loving this game. :o

I just wanted to show this behaviour and ask if this is how it's supposed be - and if i can alter the Setup in a way to drive through like the AI does. :encouragement:

It just would be so much more fun to see the AI struggle with the puddles the same way we as players do. On top right now it makes the rain-races on some tracks (with big puddles) against AI just strange.

Keena
09-12-2017, 03:10
I don't think it's anything other than very difficult in such circumstances..
https://youtu.be/coZH2pVvjOQ

z3r0cool77
09-12-2017, 03:51
I managed a lap of 1:44.5 in Thunderstorms, with the default stable setup (with the exception of slightly closed brake ducts), no assists, with a controller. It's definitely doable, keep at it man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSF6sC4h2WY

To be fair, at 80 difficulty (I ussually drive at 85-90) the ai will do a 1:42 on their first flying lap. Didnt bother to hang around for an entire session after seeing that. Its more than just a little hard. As I mentioned before you need to actually hit them faster, going too slow only makes it worse. The hard thing is not understeering off track before you even get to the puddles when youre trying to keep speed up.

Konan
09-12-2017, 03:55

Hard to supress verbaly...a slip of the tongue can hardly be used as an excuse when writing...

Ian Bell
09-12-2017, 03:57
As there has been no acceptance from the OP despite us allowing his language and despite lots of valid informative responses, this thread is closed.