PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure different scale setup menu vs pitstop menu?

Javaniceday
08-12-2017, 18:26
This might be a patch difference or not, I can't recall.

My setup tire pressures were 20.0 in my set up. i go into the pitstop menu to make sure my tire pressures wouldn't change, and the numers were 1.2 or so. So what does that mean? Are those numbers in a different measurement. One is psi, the other is... something else? Is the 1.2 number how much pressure they're gonna add? substract?

When I saw this I panicked, and I tried to change them in the pitstop menu. clicking left was doing it one decimal point at a time, and it would take forever to do every tire, for the two possible pit stop scenarios that I had going. There was no time to change them so I just gave up and hoped for the best.

Does anyone know how this part is supposed to work? I hope I explained the circumstance effectively.

Javaniceday
08-12-2017, 18:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYw-nPs-LQ

Yorkie didn't really cover this question fully in this video. It's BAR in the pitmenu, but psi in the setup menu? It's a bit confusing.

CoproManiac
08-12-2017, 19:44
When you select a tyre change while pitting, they put on cold tyres. The 1.2 BAR in the ICM is the tyre pressure the tyres will start out with. The tyres will heat up the first laps of driving and the BAR will increase.
BAR is the same thing as PSI, just another method of measuring pressure.

3800racingfool
08-12-2017, 20:29
When you select a tyre change while pitting, they put on cold tyres. The 1.2 BAR in the ICM is the tyre pressure the tyres will start out with. The tyres will heat up the first laps of driving and the BAR will increase.
BAR is the same thing as PSI, just another method of measuring pressure.

Close but not quite.

So the pressure that is set in the car setup menu is the cold tire pressure. This is either read out in PSI or BAR depending on what you have set for measurement standard in the game settings. This pressure is basically the minimum pressure your tires will be (barring a flat/puncture of course) and they'll increase as you drive. Depending on the car and how you drive the pressure will usually rise a couple PSI or ~.5 BAR after a couple of laps so you'll want to set them slightly lower than the pressure you're targeting to allow for that.

Now, for the In Car Menu (ICM) pressure. This one can be a bit confusing because the number here (which is always in BAR no matter what your measurement settings are currently) can be two different things depending on whether or not you're taking tires. We'll start with the 'easy' one:

- If you're not taking tires then the BAR reading in the ICM is for your hot tire pressure. In other words, whatever your tires are running currently. So if you've been driving around the track for a few laps and your tires are running ~2.1 BAR then setting the pressure in the ICM to 2.2 will add air to the tires and setting it to 2.0 will remove air. Now, it's important to remember that tire temps and pressure fluctuate constantly throughout a lap and even down pit road so changing the pressure during a pitstop can be a bit tricky because there is a ton of variables that the game accounts for. For example: if your tires are running at 1.7 BAR and you want them running at 2.0 BAR you'd be tempted to just set it to 2.0 BAR in the ICM right? Wrong. You may only need to set it to ~1.8 BAR to achieve your desired result because the extra added air will expand after it's been added thus increasing the pressure to more than what was set in the ICM (it works this way in real life too).

- If you are changing tires and the car that you are driving does not utilize tire pre-heating, then the BAR reading in the ICM is for your cold tire pressures for the new tires. Typically you'll want these settings adjusted to whatever your pressures are in the car setup menu but, depending on the time of day you may want to raise/lower them a bit. (ie: if you started a race during the day but it is now night time you may want to raise the pressures a little bit due to the fact that the track has cooled a bit and you won't get as high a pressure as you would during the day.)

- If you are changing tires and the car that you are driving does utilize tire pre-heating then the BAR reading in the ICM is for the pre-heated tire pressure. Here, you'll basically treat the pressure setting as a bit of a hybrid between the hot and cold scenarios I described above. Since this is the starting pressure, you may find that the tire pressure will rise/fall after a few laps depending on the car, the tires and your driving style. If you get this right, the tires may rise in pressure a little bit but should stay mostly stable over the course of the stint. My best advice is to just play around with this in practice mode because different variables (car, time of day, driving style, etc) will give different results so you'll just have to feel out which one works best for you.

And that, to the best of my knowledge, is how it all works.

Finally, just as an added tidbit, the pitstop editor functions the same way as the ICM does so everything I wrote above can be applied to it as well.

Javaniceday
08-12-2017, 21:30
Close but not quite.

So the pressure that is set in the car setup menu is the cold tire pressure. This is either read out in PSI or BAR depending on what you have set for measurement standard in the game settings. This pressure is basically the minimum pressure your tires will be (barring a flat/puncture of course) and they'll increase as you drive. Depending on the car and how you drive the pressure will usually rise a couple PSI or ~.5 BAR after a couple of laps so you'll want to set them slightly lower than the pressure you're targeting to allow for that.

Now, for the In Car Menu (ICM) pressure. This one can be a bit confusing because the number here (which is always in BAR no matter what your measurement settings are currently) can be two different things depending on whether or not you're taking tires. We'll start with the 'easy' one:

- If you're not taking tires then the BAR reading in the ICM is for your hot tire pressure. In other words, whatever your tires are running currently. So if you've been driving around the track for a few laps and your tires are running ~2.1 BAR then setting the pressure in the ICM to 2.2 will add air to the tires and setting it to 2.0 will remove air. Now, it's important to remember that tire temps and pressure fluctuate constantly throughout a lap and even down pit road so changing the pressure during a pitstop can be a bit tricky because there is a ton of variables that the game accounts for. For example: if your tires are running at 1.7 BAR and you want them running at 2.0 BAR you'd be tempted to just set it to 2.0 BAR in the ICM right? Wrong. You may only need to set it to ~1.8 BAR to achieve your desired result because the extra added air will expand after it's been added thus increasing the pressure to more than what was set in the ICM (it works this way in real life too).

- If you are changing tires and the car that you are driving does not utilize tire pre-heating, then the BAR reading in the ICM is for your cold tire pressures for the new tires. Typically you'll want these settings adjusted to whatever your pressures are in the car setup menu but, depending on the time of day you may want to raise/lower them a bit. (ie: if you started a race during the day but it is now night time you may want to raise the pressures a little bit due to the fact that the track has cooled a bit and you won't get as high a pressure as you would during the day.)

- If you are changing tires and the car that you are driving does utilize tire pre-heating then the BAR reading in the ICM is for the pre-heated tire pressure. Here, you'll basically treat the pressure setting as a bit of a hybrid between the hot and cold scenarios I described above. Since this is the starting pressure, you may find that the tire pressure will rise/fall after a few laps depending on the car, the tires and your driving style. If you get this right, the tires may rise in pressure a little bit but should stay mostly stable over the course of the stint. My best advice is to just play around with this in practice mode because different variables (car, time of day, driving style, etc) will give different results so you'll just have to feel out which one works best for you.

And that, to the best of my knowledge, is how it all works.

Finally, just as an added tidbit, the pitstop editor functions the same way as the ICM does so everything I wrote above can be applied to it as well.

Dude that is fantastic info. Thank you! Now I know, change the settings to be in BAR (currently I had it at psi) so that I can compare apples to apples.

How it works when changing tires vs not is now much clearer. Thanks again.