PDA

View Full Version : Question to all the S, A, B drivers

Markus Ott
09-12-2017, 15:34
The question is simple:

why do you join the U and F lobbies instead of supporting high safety rank lobbies (if there are some open waiting for you)?

CoproManiac
09-12-2017, 15:38
Simple answer, lack of servers or few people in those servers :p

eracerhead
09-12-2017, 16:17
Haha; after last night I’m asking myself the same thing.

cpcdem
09-12-2017, 16:28
For me it's because C/D lobbies very often use some car/track combination that I have never driven before, so I know that if I join, I will not be a safe driver as my safety rank would suggest, since I don't know the braking points, handling characteristics of the car etc. But when I see a highly ranked server with a car/class that I am familiar with, I always join it.

Edit: One more thing, there are also many times that I indeed see a good high rank server that I want to join, but it's unfortunately in it's final 2-3 minutes of qualifying or starting/in the middle of a 8-10 lap race..instead of waiting 15-20 minutes for it, I do join what else I can find and sounds safe enough.

rich1e I
09-12-2017, 16:33
You forgot the 2nd part of the question: Why do you start U and F lobbies?

Markus Ott
09-12-2017, 16:45
If people join U and F lobbies because the other lobbies aren't crowded, then it's logical you open them up yourself if you want people to join.
That's a downward spiral. I just want to know if there are reasons beyond the obvious one. At the end of the day we high rank players are a part of the reason why racing in pCARS2 doesn't progress and doesn't become cleaner. If we don't give the bad drivers a reason to become cleaner so they can join lobbies with clean racing, there is no reason to be safe currently. No season with points or restrictions to certain car classes if you don't drive clean. If you are a E900 driver acting like a 5 year old on the track it has no consequences as the MP action is all around their skill and safety rating. I opened up C1400 lobbies lately just to find out that nobody joins. No matter what series. F100 lobbies are the way to go, and that's a shame.

spanner
09-12-2017, 16:48
My first choice is the car and track selection, plus being that the majority of servers are set to F100, F100, U1000 etc. People setting up the servers dont set them up correctly. More often that not because they dont have high rating

Markus Ott
09-12-2017, 16:55
By the way I can only talk for PC. But I guess PS4 and XBox don't look much better in that regard?

TexasTyme214
09-12-2017, 17:06
By the way I can only talk for PC. But I guess PS4 and XBox don't look much better in that regard?

It's exactly the same on PS4. I pick races that are more unique or have cars I'm interested. I'm reluctant to join the majority of 5-10 lap GT3 races on the same 15 GP tracks without rain. Those type of rooms make up most of the public lobby regardless of rank.

cpcdem
09-12-2017, 17:13
Markus, what car/class combos do you usually use in your lobbies?

kofotsjanne
09-12-2017, 17:24
I wonder if a filter options to sort servers by ranking needed to join would have some more people join U> lobbies?

Kebabfelix
10-12-2017, 07:11
Because ABCD lobbies put qualy on 40 minutes, aint nobody got fucking time for that.

Give me a 15 min qualy and I join.

Wolkenwolf
10-12-2017, 08:30
1. the playerbase is to small.
2. there are only 2 or 3 lobbies better than U but not my car, track, in race, etc.

nono782
10-12-2017, 10:43
When I see 50 available lobbies, I know I’ll be lucky to find 2 or 3 to join.
Because : most of them are already in races, useless.
Those still in qualif, when there is less than 5 minutes left, generally you won’t be able to join either.

Remains 10 really joignable lobbies.
Among these ones, I skip the ones with too much times left before the race, the ones with multiclass, the ones with the classes I don’t like, the ones with 1 player only... no time for looking at ratings.

DinoM
10-12-2017, 12:00
Everyone can start lobbying. Why do not they open a lobby that suits their own rankings? Why do we always want to join the existing lobby?

Markus Ott
10-12-2017, 12:03
Did you read the thread?

hkraft300
10-12-2017, 16:04
The question is simple:

why do you join the U and F lobbies instead of supporting high safety rank lobbies (if there are some open waiting for you)?

The car/track/race length/regulations (forced default) don’t interest me.

Edit: I also hate racing AI in public MP (they’re excellent in qrw).

RookieRaceline
10-12-2017, 19:04
I am A, but there are really not that many lobbies on xbox to choose from.

the ones that do set a safety limit, also tend to set a skill limit at 1500, but i'mdown at 1200 so can't join anyway (although the skill limit should theoretically not matter for the lobby host)

rich1e I
10-12-2017, 19:12
Don't know what time zone you're in, but I rarely see skill rank limit of 1500

Javaniceday
10-12-2017, 20:44
I only join D and above lobbies. I am starting to host lobbies sometimes, D or better. I'm rank S. Also, I've been doing track days at nurburing lately, just practice. Few people join but I'll keep hosting them.

321Respawn
11-12-2017, 15:21
Don't you need a fast internet connection to host a lobby smoothly? Not sure about pc requirements.

Kebabfelix
12-12-2017, 07:35
Besides F lobbies are good enough.

cpcdem
12-12-2017, 12:29
Besides F lobbies are good enough.

I thought about trying online again yesterday and had an "E" driver shamelessly pushing me off the track and onto the wall in the straight, as I was overtaking him (he had slowed down to avoid penalty) for first place. I think next time I will just wait for B/C races to finish and will join afterwards.

DECATUR PLAYA
13-12-2017, 17:05
Don't you need a fast internet connection to host a lobby smoothly? Not sure about pc requirements.

Yes. Can be done with slower connections but the faster the better.

Wolkenwolf
15-12-2017, 14:28
i see Us in lobbies with Safetyrating above. Seems only the skillrating(number) is checked. So, what is that Safetyrating good for ?

Bealdor
15-12-2017, 14:36
i see Us in lobbies with Safetyrating above. Seems only the skillrating(number) is checked. So, what is that Safetyrating good for ?

You can invite players with a lower rating to your lobby.

Wolkenwolf
15-12-2017, 14:50
Ah, ok, thx.

beatrunner
15-12-2017, 16:56

yes wolf. you were in my lobby i think (B-Runner). and the U one (even a golden one) was a friend of mine. i think he was safe on track?

Interchangeable
15-12-2017, 17:34
'Cause we want to race more than 4 cars we normally get in higher rated severs.

Wolkenwolf
15-12-2017, 17:37
Dont remember one specific lobby . i have seen lots of Us recently in higher lobbies. That made me wonder ... and leave
Can everybody invite lower spcs or only the host ?

poirqc
16-12-2017, 18:36
I mean, Safety ratings isn't the same as the winning rating. I'm not sure i get it. Isn't clean drivers welcomed everywhere?

beatrunner
17-12-2017, 03:17
this discussion is about:

- the lobby only allows players of high safety rating (let's say C+)
- drivers often join such lobbies and can find U/E/F/..drivers in it
- that's because one can invite anybody in such a lobby

i openend once a thread myself about beeing not happy about the possibility to meet lower ranked drivers in such lobbies. but my experience so far: when i'm the one inviting steam friends (that wouldn't be able to join that lobby) i "chat to them" and stating clearly that they are guests and what the roules are...

but i understand that it's confusing sometimes...

Rodders
17-12-2017, 16:40
Pre patch 3, as far as I seen, the min safety rating doesn't work in P2P sessions and just lets anyone in. Only the driver rating blocked anyone.

On the dedi it blocks on safety rating OK.

This might have changed since patch 3.0 but not sure as never run P2P sessions.

beatrunner
17-12-2017, 20:15
it works perfectly. confusion was only because lower ranked guys can be in higher ranked lobbies if they had been invited.

ATSS
17-12-2017, 21:26
No other opponents. I hate to race vs only 4-5 guy. (Im at S rank)

Gysepy
18-12-2017, 12:13
I have been trying without success to get lobbies going. The most people I got in a B1000 lobby was yesterday evening. There was 4 of us at that portuguese track. All assists turned off, penalties turned off, forced interior + manual shifting. It was a good race but its a pity the only lower safety rating lobbies are available.

rich1e I
18-12-2017, 13:48
I have been trying without success to get lobbies going. The most people I got in a B1000 lobby was yesterday evening. There was 4 of us at that portuguese track. All assists turned off, penalties turned off, forced interior + manual shifting. It was a good race but its a pity the only lower safety rating lobbies are available.

If you want more people in your lobby why would you force cockpit view and turn all assists off? Why not let people drive how they like?

Marlborofranz
18-12-2017, 14:17
If you want more people in your lobby why would you force cockpit view and turn all assists off? Why not let people drive how they like?

This is what i do as well. Filtering by safety rating, putting my minimum skill rating to 1000.
Aids enabled so if someone likes driving with a pad, he can still join. And driving aids as well. If people need aids then they're most likely not dangerous as long as the safety rating is fine. And the safety rating filter I set between f and d, though I am b. I believe that people with that safety rating do want to race clean, and I don't bother if there are some accidents. Everyone starts at some point. :P mostly ends up 10+ people racing in my lobbies

rich1e I
18-12-2017, 14:40
This is what i do as well. Filtering by safety rating, putting my minimum skill rating to 1000.
Aids enabled so if someone likes driving with a pad, he can still join. And driving aids as well. If people need aids then they're most likely not dangerous as long as the safety rating is fine. And the safety rating filter I set between f and d, though I am b. I believe that people with that safety rating do want to race clean, and I don't bother if there are some accidents. Everyone starts at some point. :P mostly ends up 10+ people racing in my lobbies

I basically don't force anything off and allow everything. I even set skill to 100. As you said there are many pad users as well, and if someone needs/wants the braking line on why should I force it off especially when I want as much people as possible in my lobby?
I myself are tyred opening lobbies, rarely more than 3 people join, even if I allow everything. I think most people can't or don't want to join C ranked lobbies and/or don't like longer races (20-25 minutes).
3 months in and still only U and F lobbies lol Can you believe it? I thought consoleros are not ready for the CRL, but it appears it's the same on PC. Surely the game wasn't perfect and still has to improve in various areas, but it can't be the game only, it's mostly people's fault. People are a problem lol :p

Gysepy
18-12-2017, 14:55

It was not until I turned off the assist that people joined. I had eveything on and nothing forced, people just did not join.

Gysepy
18-12-2017, 14:57
I basically don't force anything off and allow everything. I even set skill to 100. As you said there are many pad users as well, and if someone needs/wants the braking line on why should I force it off especially when I want as much people as possible in my lobby?
I myself are tyred opening lobbies, rarely more than 3 people join, even if I allow everything. I think most people can't or don't want to join C ranked lobbies and/or don't like longer races (20-25 minutes).
3 months in and still only U and F lobbies lol Can you believe it? I thought consoleros are not ready for the CRL, but it appears it's the same on PC. Surely the game wasn't perfect and still has to improve in various areas, but it can't be the game only, it's mostly people's fault. People are a problem lol :p

I agree with you, I prefer lo ger races especially with the slow down warnings it gives you enough time to get back in the race... What I never understand is people who have 20 Minutes practice, 15 minutes Quali and then a 5 lap race...

poirqc
18-12-2017, 15:40

Inclusive lobbies are awesome. I even fought with a guy that had a keyboard(He was suprisingly good). You could see it from his front wheels. Yet he was clean.

For other server settings, i do the same. Works pretty well. While i'm almost S, my win rate is normal(1400-1450). I'm fast in some cars, slower in others. This means that i often have good fights with lower skill rating drivers.

Personnally, i don't give a ?&*% about my win rate. However i really do care about my safety rating. Based on easy to apply rules, it's been steadily progressing since lanch.

GrimeyDog
18-12-2017, 16:39
While I prefer to drive with No assist i usually dont force them off to get people who use them to join ---> The 1 Assist i always force off is the Driving line because if a Night race comes up the person using the Driving line will have a advantage.

Raysracing
21-12-2017, 19:23
I think it would help if there was a way to communicate within game to friends about lobbies. Of course they would turn into online bullying and denigration so that wont work because were all A holes. I am in a few Discord groups and we do pick up races that are usually between 5 to 30 drivers in password servers. But many are European's and I am American so I usually miss all the good, full races.

PostBox981
21-12-2017, 20:11
Today I hosted a Group C race at Spa, P 30 min, Q 20 min, R 15 laps. Q started wet then moved on to dry. Assists real, F100, most other things allowed, automated pit stops... A few people joined and left again before even go for a single lap. So I was left back alone. Any idea what the problem was? Group C? Wet qualifying? I really donīt know. Frustrating to see crowded GT3 lobbies and everything else just empty. :confused:

MaximusN
21-12-2017, 20:20
Today I hosted a Group C race at Spa, P 30 min, Q 20 min, R 15 laps. Q started wet then moved on to dry. Assists real, F100, most other things allowed, automated pit stops... A few people joined and left again before even go for a single lap. So I was left back alone. Any idea what the problem was? Group C? Wet qualifying? I really donīt know. Frustrating to see crowded GT3 lobbies and everything else just empty. :confused:

I think that problem is a lot bigger than For even U rated lobbies. I get by without trouble in those, but the(/my) problem is 90% of the filled lobbies are GT3.. :(

PostBox981
21-12-2017, 20:26
Itīs not that I dislike GT3 but such a pity all those other great cars donīt find a way into MP. Thatīs why I usually reject GT3 lobbies. Well, GT3 seems to be the only way if you want crowded grids.

MaximusN
21-12-2017, 21:00
Itīs not that I dislike GT3 but such a pity all those other great cars donīt find a way into MP. Thatīs why I usually reject GT3 lobbies. Well, GT3 seems to be the only way if you want crowded grids.
Dislike is a big word, but they are one of the least fun to drive for me. A bit clinical. I have way way way more fun in Vintage GTA, Group A, Group 5 and Group 4 to name just a few. And I get to use my H-shifter in those :D

poirqc
21-12-2017, 21:03
Dislike is a big word, but they are one of the least fun to drive for me. A bit clinical. I have way way way more fun in Vintage GTA, Group A, Group 5 and Group 4 to name just a few. And I get to use my H-shifter in those :D

Vintage GTA and Grp. 4 are hidden gems! More people should drive them! :D

I need to get your steam id! :D

MaximusN
21-12-2017, 21:07
Vintage GTA and Grp. 4 are hidden gems! More people should drive them! :D

I need to get your steam id! :D
(It's still in white after Andretti's name, just select the text :))

Rodgerzzz
24-12-2017, 20:36
Something that always bugs me is that these 'high level' lobbies tend to be on stupid track layouts like Red Bull Ring National in GT3 cars or Sonoma Short in FA.

Foofer37
27-12-2017, 16:36

Yes. It is because they are not interested in something that they can't win at. I'm for all kinds of racing. After all, this is a simulator :) You would think people would want to experience all it has to offer. But, they are not interested. Not in group C (too hard) Rain (too hard) Boo Hoo. Even so many guys on here that tell you, "Learn to Drive!" They are not interested either. Because they can't win. To so many it's all about winning and not looking like you don't know what you're doing. I've had the same experience on other SIMs, especially AC. I've had guys outright tell me I was an idiot for making a session with less than 100% grip, sunny day et. etc. Oh well, I'll enjoy my simulator, others can enjoy talking about how they won another GT3 race in the dry during the daytime.

Foofer37
27-12-2017, 16:43
The question is simple:

Because they can dominate there. And have fun shoving the slower drivers off. Then come on the forum and tell everyone to learn to drive. It's a dominance thing. Top Dog.
If it is due to lack of said servers then they would simply create their own, but they don't

TwilightUA
27-12-2017, 16:55
There are a very few high safety lobbies to join, and all of them are running car classes I have no interest in. I even gave GT3 a second chance after PCars 1, even enjoyed it a little, but most GT3 lobbies are filled with NFS racers.
To be fair I found myself very interested in TC class to my surprise, I ran a few races today and bloody hell how clean they were, and that was U1000 lobby. And M3 is a blast to drive.

Balles
28-12-2017, 07:34
Because they can dominate there. And have fun shoving the slower drivers off. Then come on the forum and tell everyone to learn to drive. It's a dominance thing. Top Dog.
If it is due to lack of said servers then they would simply create their own, but they don't

You sound like a bitter man. U and F is not about the skill but the safety. It means that a B, A or S driver going in a U or F lobbies takes way more risks to be rammed or loose than in a better letter lobby.
I personnaly often play in U, F lobbies because there are more players, that's the only reason. I create E, D lobbies only when there are more people online like saturday evening oterhwise you're pretty much waiting for playing solo.

hkraft300
28-12-2017, 08:51

Lol .. wow... :rolleyes:
Can't get an S/A/B rating by "shoving slower drivers off".
The letter is a safety rating. Gain safety rating by NOT making contact/crashing/off-track.

If you're a good driver, you'll mostly avoid being shoved off.

nono782
28-12-2017, 11:16
Something that always bugs me is that these 'high level' lobbies tend to be on stupid track layouts like Red Bull Ring National in GT3 cars or Sonoma Short in FA.

These Ŧ*stupid*ŧ tracks are not played enough.
It feels so good when you run on something different. I want to kiss the host when they offer us Ŧ*new races*ŧ

poirqc
28-12-2017, 12:31
These Ŧ*stupid*ŧ tracks are not played enough.
It feels so good when you run on something different. I want to kiss the host when they offer us Ŧ*new races*ŧ

New tracks\Comno are a godsend. But slow cars on fast tracks and fast cars on slow tracks doesn't work really well, most of the time...

Gysepy
28-12-2017, 13:37
You sound like a bitter man. U and F is not about the skill but the safety. It means that a B, A or S driver going in a U or F lobbies takes way more risks to be rammed or loose than in a better letter lobby.
I personnaly often play in U, F lobbies because there are more players, that's the only reason. I create E, D lobbies only when there are more people online like saturday evening oterhwise you're pretty much waiting for playing solo.

Pretty much spot on, I have said it before and I will say it again, people are starting to think that because you have a better "letter" than them, you are automatically or magically faster than them. Not so, I am currently at B and I have had bumper to bumper races with U ranked and S ranked....

For whatever reason people cannot seem to grasp what the safety rating is, not speed but your race craft.... unfortunately there is simply no player base to fill up higher ranked lobbies so I too jump into U, F lobbies in the hope that we have a fair race.

rich1e I
28-12-2017, 13:55
Pretty much spot on, I have said it before and I will say it again, people are starting to think that because you have a better "letter" than them, you are automatically or magically faster than them. Not so, I am currently at B and I have had bumper to bumper races with U ranked and S ranked....

For whatever reason people cannot seem to grasp what the safety rating is, not speed but your race craft.... unfortunately there is simply no player base to fill up higher ranked lobbies so I too jump into U, F lobbies in the hope that we have a fair race.

I don't think so. Sometimes I join U or F lobbies to see what SR people have in these lobbies and there's quite a few B, A and S ranked players. I'm still struggling to understand why rarely someone sets a minimum SR of D or C. I still think many people have no clue what the letter and the number are about and why this was introduced. I mean, why on earth would you allow any U and F ranked players to join your lobby?

Foofer37
28-12-2017, 13:58
Bwaaaahahaha! Guys, please don't make me laugh. What I said is true. Has nothing to do with being bitter. If you wanted to race in the higher classes, you would simply create your own lobby. The question was asked by the OP and I answered it. Look, this technique goes all the way up to the highest level of motorsport. All the major manufacturers have built racecars over the years that weren't even legal. Yet they got away with it. Why? Because they want to win. Do you really think the top teams spend hundreds of millions on their race program to lose to a privateer team? So they stack the deck in their favor. Just like you do when you race in lobbies with much lower ranked guys. Then you'll be the same ones that say, to avoid crashers, join a league. Or join lobbies with higher ranked guys. Then we're also told 'WE' cannot grasp the license system. Really? Then what is it for? Lol. Then Gysepy says that there is not enough player base to fill the higher ranked lobbies? Well what is that then? I thought the rating system was working? If this is a game for the masses, where the whole world can come and race and rank up and get into good races, then what the heck is wrong with it? Is it broken? Of course it is. That's what we've all been saying. And now you're (inadvertently) saying it as well.

hkraft300
28-12-2017, 13:59
. I mean, why on earth would you allow any U and F ranked players to join your lobby?

Personally: to give clean but new racers a chance to rank up, have a clean race...

poirqc
28-12-2017, 14:10
The question is simple:

Bwaaaahahaha! Guys, please don't make me laugh. What I said is true. Has nothing to do with being bitter. If you wanted to race in the higher classes, you would simply create your own lobby. The question was asked by the OP and I answered it. Look, this technique goes all the way up to the highest level of motorsport. All the major manufacturers have built racecars over the years that weren't even legal. Yet they got away with it. Why? Because they want to win. Do you really think the top teams spend hundreds of millions on their race program to lose to a privateer team? So they stack the deck in their favor. Just like you do when you race in lobbies with much lower ranked guys. Then you'll be the same ones that say, to avoid crashers, join a league. Or join lobbies with higher ranked guys. Then we're also told 'WE' cannot grasp the license system. Really? Then what is it for? Lol. Then Gysepy says that there is not enough player base to fill the higher ranked lobbies? Well what is that then? I thought the rating system was working? If this is a game for the masses, where the whole world can come and race and rank up and get into good races, then what the heck is wrong with it? Is it broken? Of course it is. That's what we've all been saying. And now you're (inadvertently) saying it as well.

It's simple really. Whenever i have enough time to play MP, it's GT3 all over the place. Odd combo with player are really scarce. I don't have the luxury to wait for an S lobby.

I'm fast in some cars, slow in others. A good safety rating just means i can follow someone without rearending him every corner.

rich1e I
28-12-2017, 14:10
Personally: to give clean but new racers a chance to rank up, have a clean race...

I understand what you mean, but if someone races clean he'll rank up. So did I and you too I think. Unfortunately you can't see at first sight if someone's clean and new to the game or if he's just a ruthless &%$§! that doesn't care about the racing etiquette. Plus, you can't spend all the time watching the guys in your lobby on the monitor. You have to qualify as well at some point, make setup changes, add or reduce aero, tyre pressures, practice a little bit before the race starts etc.
The rank system, especially the SR, was created because there was huge request for it as wreckers and idiots were a problem in the first game. Now if you open a lobby for everyone to give new players a chance to rank up, it's a nice move but you can't guarantee that those new players have a fair race because there's always the possibility that dirty racers join too. This approach makes the whole SR and the idea obsolete.

poirqc
28-12-2017, 14:12
I don't think so. Sometimes I join U or F lobbies to see what SR people have in these lobbies and there's quite a few B, A and S ranked players. I'm still struggling to understand why rarely someone sets a minimum SR of D or C. I still think many people have no clue what the letter and the number are about and why this was introduced. I mean, why on earth would you allow any U and F ranked players to join your lobby?

It depends on the time of day. When there's lots of players, it's easy to find E+ drivers. When doing lobbies outside of EU timezone, you have to open up the doors.

I understand what you mean, but if someone races clean he'll rank up. So did I and you too I think. Unfortunately you can't see at first sight if someone's clean and new to the game or if he's just a ruthless &%$§! that doesn't care about the racing etiquette. Plus, you can't spend all the time watching the guys in your lobby on the monitor. You have to qualify as well at some point, make setup changes, add or reduce aero, tyre pressures, practice a little bit before the race starts etc.
The rank system, especially the SR, was created because there was huge request for it as wreckers and idiots were a problem in the first game. Now if you open a lobby for everyone to give new players a chance to rank up it's a nice move but you can't guarantee that those new players have a fair race because there's always the possibility that dirty racers join too. This approach makes the whole SR and the idea obsolete.

Not everyone bought the game at release. Some racers still need to move their rating up. SP player that build confidense and are ready to op in MP might also have a low SR.

Balles
28-12-2017, 14:39
Bwaaaahahaha! Guys, please don't make me laugh. What I said is true...

I will make you laugh then because no you weren't true, you still have not understood that the letter have nothing to do with the skill... at all.

The rank system is pretty much spot on now, the only problem is there aren't enough people with good Safety Rank to have full lobbies on every letter at whatever time of the day, simple as that.

Gysepy
28-12-2017, 15:41

Have you even read what people have said? The letter is safety rating, a higher safety rating means that the player has good race craft and understands how to race. It has nothing got to do with skill.I will make it simple if I was still at U, I would not be long getting back to B as I know how to race clean, it is simple as that.

Nothing got to do with with joining lower ranked lobbies whatsoever.

hkraft300
28-12-2017, 16:12

Bwahaha.. get the tin foil hats on lads.

The S rank guys are out to ruin it for all the noobs.

Not everyone can rank up. If you don’t race clean, you don’t rank.
If you suck, you don’t rank.

I’m on S. I think it’s too easy to rank up. If you can’t rank up, you should learn to race.

Nyreen
28-12-2017, 18:16
I don't know if it's too easy, but I just drove casually, without worrying about my safety rating and got S (often with a bit of contact).

I'm much more worried about my skill rating since you could be dead last and improve your safety rank. But since I'm 1650, the game expects me to finish first pretty much on every race, and that's becoming to be a lot of pressure the more I get higher (1830 right now...).

tennenbaum
28-12-2017, 18:28
Yes. It is because they are not interested in something that they can't win at. I'm for all kinds of racing. After all, this is a simulator :) You would think people would want to experience all it has to offer. But, they are not interested. Not in group C (too hard) Rain (too hard) Boo Hoo. Even so many guys on here that tell you, "Learn to Drive!" They are not interested either. Because they can't win. To so many it's all about winning and not looking like you don't know what you're doing. I've had the same experience on other SIMs, especially AC. I've had guys outright tell me I was an idiot for making a session with less than 100% grip, sunny day et. etc. Oh well, I'll enjoy my simulator, others can enjoy talking about how they won another GT3 race in the dry during the daytime.

You are right, as long as SMS doesn't overthink their rating system, the rating is contra-productive to the racer's mind. I like to experiment with cars, tracks and conditions, but since this puts my ranking at risk -or i don't get the lobby full - i found even myself hesitant to do so.

So the rating system kind of strangles the game to unfold its origin potential. Which is a real pity - for the gamers and SMS, after putting so much efforts into offering such a variety of cars, tracks and conditions.

The way it is at the moment an originally good thing (the ranking system) leads to the paradox situation, that the game undermines itself by shying away people instead of being a rewarding joyful experience. It's not only discouraging for the majority of players who simply can never top rank, it's even frustrating i assume for the Top Dogs becoming lonesome on the summit.

I wished SMS puts efforts into solving that paradox, otherwise i see the problem of compromising what was so nicely achieved so far. We need much more courageous, playful and new players.

Every game's problem eventually are empty or not enough lobbies! IRL all successful racing leagues put a lot of thought into finding the right balance between costs / efforts and rewarding elements - whatever they are.

SMS might give ranking points (as kind of bonuses) to those who race less popular tracks and cars, as well as joining more complex conditions with pit stops, changing weather, etc. And lower ranking drivers might get more rewards for simply joining races when competing against significant higher ranking guys. So the higher ranking guys will find more people to join their possibly rarer car-track-combinations, or just don't shy away less experienced dudes in general.

The online competition needs more variety, more players, more playful fun! It should be more rewarding, creating a better, warmer, more embracing social experience, instead of cold Darwinistic ranking mechanics.

(Competition is good and the core of every racing, but i know racers IRL that stopped their hobby not because of the money they spent, but because of loosing the fun for it - even and especially by climbing up the career ladder, as paradox as it sounds.)

As long as the risk to loose points is higher than the chance of gaining points the system simply falls short to bind people to the game. Most of us are no full-time ELO chess players, but guys playing a racing game for the fun of it, not for making a living out of it and hustling for sponsors.

I really hope SMS - capable of creating such a great game in so many disciplines - will give the lobby and ranking system a second thought.

sas5320
28-12-2017, 19:22
It's good at least there is the option to disable or suspend the license system for a few races to keep up the fun

Mahjik
28-12-2017, 20:10
SMS is evaluating everything. However, the worse thing they can do is make knee-jerk reaction changes. There will be changes in this space (MP ranking) but a system like this does take some time. It took iRacing many, many years to get theirs the way it is today. I know, I started with iRacing when it was in it's final beta so I've seen it's changes over the years.

Herege
28-12-2017, 20:38
Sometimes I start a server without tracks "Cliche", and no one enters, or enters 1 or 2, if I sign a lobby with well-known tracks and the GT3, people come. So, the players are the people who create the trends.

From what I have observed, a great majority only runs on well-known tracks, which makes them closed in trying others. And those that do, many of them are surprised and then like. You have to be open minded and try out new adventures in this kind of games, even in different car classes, otherwise we always create the same trend, there are only the tracks that everyone knows and the same class of cars. This type of games for a lot of people just had GT3 or one more class and two to three tracks. In my personal opinion it becomes really boring. And I like GT3. The online options are very limited and when you want something different you have to be the one to do it, but you risk running alone or with AI too. I see players who after this time all that the game come out, have never experienced other tracks beyond those who always play in all titles. I venture almost to say that, nor is it worth having more new tracks.

I personally support enough tracks with few players, or even with only one, that was what happened yesterday, and at the end of a race filled with 20 players and was class below GT3. Oh, and I do not make servers for U ou F. Sorry :)

Foofer37
28-12-2017, 22:58
Bwahaha.. get the tin foil hats on lads.

The S rank guys are out to ruin it for all the noobs.

Not everyone can rank up. If you don’t race clean, you don’t rank.
If you suck, you don’t rank.

I’m on S. I think it’s too easy to rank up. If you can’t rank up, you should learn to race.

You are incorrect.
Today I created a lobby. Titled it: Level up your rank. I waited for one other driver to join, then launched it. Simple GT3 at Donington. 2 AI cars the other driver and myself. 5 laps. Race started, we made no contact with each other or the AI cars, finished the race. I allowed him to finish in front of me because he was U. After the race my ranking was exactly the same. No improvement at all.
Did the same exact race again. Another guy joined, so the 3 of us plus AI. 5 laps. At end of session my ranking again, remained exactly the same. No improvement after a completely no contact, clean race.
So, sorry, but something does not work as it should.

Gysepy
28-12-2017, 23:23
You are incorrect.
Today I created a lobby. Titled it: Level up your rank. I waited for one other driver to join, then launched it. Simple GT3 at Donington. 2 AI cars the other driver and myself. 5 laps. Race started, we made no contact with each other or the AI cars, finished the race. I allowed him to finish in front of me because he was U. After the race my ranking was exactly the same. No improvement at all.
Did the same exact race again. Another guy joined, so the 3 of us plus AI. 5 laps. At end of session my ranking again, remained exactly the same. No improvement after a completely no contact, clean race.

How was the ranking of the guy that finished ahead of you in the first race,did it increase?

From my experience it is pointless running ranked lobbies with the minimum amount of players, its where this rating system gets opened up for its flaws.

We all know how it works or should work but man did they underestimate the amount of lobbies created per player base geo wise. Right now its a shambles.

hkraft300
28-12-2017, 23:26
You are incorrect.

:glee:

If you say so!

It doesn't happen in 1 race, with 1-2 guys.

The letter is independent of the number. The number is performance, the letter is safety. It takes many clean passes/close racing to increase the safety rank.

Won't happen in 2 races with 3 people.

Got it yet? Or do you need pictures and diagrams? Because that has been explained specifically to you several times already.

No, it doesn't work as you want it to, but it works as it should.

MaximusN
28-12-2017, 23:58
Or you could be more constructive and say that you can only earn safety points by getting yourself in danger(close to other human drivers and in fact changing positions if I'm correct). By that logic in ALL other circumstances(around AI, when driving alone, or when the AI controls your car), you can only LOSE safety rating(in various ways).

danpinho
28-12-2017, 23:58
I have a reverse question here: to all U ~ D drivers.
So why most of you perform a tricky "jump start" just to drive 2s or 3s slower and malicious blocking the faster drivers?

MaximusN
29-12-2017, 00:01
I have a reverse question here: to all U ~ D drivers.
So why most of you perform a tricky "jump start" just to drive 2s or 3s slower and malicious blocking the faster drivers?

I haven't seen many jump starts? And I always feel a quick getaway is a lot safer than a slow getaway(less chance of getting rammed from behind).

Foofer37
29-12-2017, 00:29
:glee:

If you say so!

It doesn't happen in 1 race, with 1-2 guys.

The letter is independent of the number. The number is performance, the letter is safety. It takes many clean passes/close racing to increase the safety rank.

Won't happen in 2 races with 3 people.

Got it yet? Or do you need pictures and diagrams? Because that has been explained specifically to you several times already.

No, it doesn't work as you want it to, but it works as it should.

Yes. I need pictures and diagrams! Lol. I just did another race. Group C Road America. 5 laps. 3 other real players, no AI. Placed 2nd. Rating went from E 1336 to E 1317. And by the way I made no contact or questionable maneuvers. Bwaaaahahaha! Rating is a joke. I think it works for some and just penalizes others. Unfortunately with a system like this, unless it's resolved, players will just simply go away. I remember a couple months before the release of PCars1 I entered the PCars1 lobbies. There were like 3 whole people playing in one race. Everyone else....Gone. The same will happen here.

Mad Al
29-12-2017, 00:49
and if everyone else had a rating much lower than yours, you will drop points..

just start a lobby with the min points slightly lower than your current points and then race people who should all be higher than you, beat them and you should gain points

MJP
29-12-2017, 00:55
Trouble is there's too many conflicting stories, a couple of days ago I was in a small lobby 4/5 drivers in qual at Road America but come race time only 2 of us went to grid. As I was debating whether to race or leave the light went green and the other guy shot off.

I instinctively followed him luckily he had a moment in T1 and I was able to get on his tail and we ran nose to tail with some side by side corner action until halfway through 2nd lap when I took a little too much kerb and nearly lost it and he gained about 4 secs on me. I was reeling him in just enough to set up an interesting last lap when end of lap 6 he went into the pits and then he left.

I didn't want to lose rating for leaving too so as it was only 2 more laps I finished the race, incurring a couple of slowdowns as I was pushing for a fast lap. At the end I was the only driver classified but I gained 20% safety rating on an E licence and 7 skill rating.

danpinho
29-12-2017, 01:38
I haven't seen many jump starts? And I always feel a quick getaway is a lot safer than a slow getaway(less chance of getting rammed from behind).

Are you 2s slower average? Are you low grade licence driver?

hkraft300
29-12-2017, 03:12
Placed 2nd. Rating went from E 1336 to E 1317. Rating is a joke.

You lost to someone with significantly lower skill rating. You're a joke.

... At the end I was the only driver classified but I gained 20% safety rating on an E licence and 7 skill rating.

Judging by your race report, I expect those results.

Your safety rank jumped because you had bumper to bumper action without contact. That's a big + for safety rating.
Your performance rating increased because you placed 1st out of all starters.

Foofer37
29-12-2017, 03:25
You lost to someone with significantly lower skill rating. You're a joke.

Judging by your race report, I expect those results.

Your safety rank jumped because you had bumper to bumper action without contact. That's a big + for safety rating.
Your performance rating increased because you placed 1st out of all starters.

hkraft300 You're a Dickhead :D
And the only joke around here is what's sitting on top of your measly shoulders. Bwaaahahaha

hkraft300
29-12-2017, 03:34
hkraft300 You're a Dickhead. :D
And the only joke around here is what's sitting on top of your measly shoulders. Bwaaahahaha

:applause:

SMS might give ranking points (as kind of bonuses) to those who race less popular tracks and cars, as well as joining more complex conditions with pit stops, changing weather, etc. And lower ranking drivers might get more rewards for simply joining races when competing against significant higher ranking guys. So the higher ranking guys will find more people to join their possibly rarer car-track-combinations, or just don't shy away less experienced dudes in general.

The online competition needs more variety, more players, more playful fun! It should be more rewarding, creating a better, warmer, more embracing social experience, instead of cold Darwinistic ranking mechanics...

This is an interesting idea.

Bonus points for real assists, bad weather, night, classic cars... maybe?

Balles
29-12-2017, 07:45
The real problem is a lot of people want rewards and misunderstand the SR/Skill system.
Maybe in addition of the rating system SMS could add real points/levels/score that never goes down to reward people on many situation (podiums, best laptime, pole, overtake, close racing, new car/track combo...). It will keep untertained the players in need of rewards like in a MMO. Done well it could be good for the game in the long run.
Players would play a lot to have a high score, they would be safer and better as the time pass and we would have hundreds of S lobbies full of players. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Edit : I'd like a system with a score per hour played on top of the actual system. SMS would be known for his SR/SK/SC (Safety Rating/ SKill / SCore) system and would lead the racing eco system !

bazzalaar
29-12-2017, 09:30
Back to the opening post question... I'm currently on "A1623" I drive in any lobby that has people in it tbh. I rarely go looking at the rating of the lobby. I just want to race. Same as, if I start my own lobby I pretty much have it unrestricted to allow anyone to come in and play. That said I do try to keep an eye out for troublemakers if I'm hosting and kick them out.

Personally I don't really care what my license is. I suppose it's good that I'm not restricted as such by the majority of lobbies and I guess hopefully people will trust me to race with them. I don't worry if I lose points, it's one of those things. If you looked at it like you're taking part in one great big championship you're always going to gain and drop points. Just like in real life, you're not going to win everything. I like looking at my driver profile page. I like all the stats Race starts Vs Podium finishes / Race wins / Pole position/fastest lap percentage etc... That stuff I find interesting.

Out of curiosity I have a question to some of you is... Why do you care so much about what your license grade and score is?

Gysepy
29-12-2017, 09:41
Back to the opening post question... I'm currently on "A1623" I drive in any lobby that has people in it tbh. I rarely go looking at the rating of the lobby. I just want to race. Same as, if I start my own lobby I pretty much have it unrestricted to allow anyone to come in and play. That said I do try to keep an eye out for troublemakers if I'm hosting and kick them out.

Personally I don't really care what my license is. I suppose it's good that I'm not restricted as such by the majority of lobbies and I guess hopefully people will trust me to race with them. I don't worry if I lose points, it's one of those things. If you looked at it like you're taking part in one great big championship you're always going to gain and drop points. Just like in real life, you're not going to win everything. I like looking at my driver profile page. I like all the stats Race starts Vs Podium finishes / Race wins / Pole position/fastest lap percentage etc... That stuff I find interesting.

Out of curiosity I have a question to some of you is... Why do you care so much about what your license grade and score is?

I am in the same boat as yourself, I really do not care about it I just want good racing in possibly a full lobby. It is getting to the stage now where I am starting to join the lobbies with it turned off.

Its a similar situation in FPS games where people get obsessed with their kill/death ratio, people are now starting to become obsessed with their safety/skill rating. Even though the race went well nothing much was gained so people are starting to freak out.

We seem to have two types of people on PC2, those that understand racing, leave space know when to let the faster guy go, know when to overtake and can also defend well. These people will have a high safety rating.

We then have the win at any cost crowd who, never get out of the way, throw it up the inside every single corner, and bump you off the track because you dont use the same breaking points as them. Basically people who do not understand racing. These people will have a low safety rating even if they win races and will be obsessed with the safety/skill rating.

hkraft300
29-12-2017, 10:21
... Why do you care so much about what your license grade and score is?

Bragging rights. Duh :p

I care for my safety rating. Another will quickly know he can go door to door with me without unsafe tactics. I don't race dirty, some do.

I think the XP type score you speak of is currently the subtle stripe, no? Blue for noob, gold for pro?

PostBox981
29-12-2017, 12:10
Thereīs some people in here that sound like they expect a huge reward once they reach a specific SR. What do you get when S2000? Holidays in the sun? A car? A House? :D

I am far from being a good race driver, more like somewhere in between a rookie and an experienced league driver. I try to race clean. Always. Well, sometimes my capabilities are just not enough so it could happen I unintendedly rear end somebody else. I observe my SR with interest. I donīt freak out once it is going down, as me I donīt expect any material reward. I would prefer an E rated lobby over a U rated one if I like car, track, race length etc. But I go to a U rated lobby as well when I donīt find anything interesting in higher lobbies. I always try to keep it clean and finish the race. This behaviour brought me down to B now, being on a good way to A. My strengths number is going up and down a little between 1400 and 1500 so seems like this is where I belong. Being down to B didnīt open up a complete new world to me, as there are U lobbies and "off" lobbies the most.

So for me SR works almost perfectly - maybe safety rate is improving a little too fast for my personal taste. Cīmon guys, donīt take it too serious, most of you can join 98% of all lobbies, so what?

MaximusN
29-12-2017, 12:20
Thereīs some people in here that sound like they expect a huge reward once they reach a specific SR. What do you get when S2000? Holidays in the sun? A car? A House? :D

I am far from being a good race driver, more like somewhere in between a rookie and an experienced league driver. I try to race clean. Always. Well, sometimes my capabilities are just not enough so it could happen I unintendedly rear end somebody else. I observe my SR with interest. I donīt freak out once it is going down, as me I donīt expect any material reward. I would prefer an E rated lobby over a U rated one if I like car, track, race length etc. But I go to a U rated lobby as well when I donīt find anything interesting in higher lobbies. I always try to keep it clean and finish the race. This behaviour brought me down to B now, being on a good way to A. My strengths number is going up and down a little between 1400 and 1500 so seems like this is where I belong. Being down to B didnīt open up a complete new world to me, as there are U lobbies and "off" lobbies the most.

So for me SR works almost perfectly - maybe safety rate is improving a little too fast for my personal taste. Cīmon guys, donīt take it too serious, most of you can join 98% of all lobbies, so what?

Lol, indeed. I think it's great that if you are a mediocre and civil driver like me, it's not that hard to sustain 1600. Because it's not good if it's hard to keep it at 1500 which is the starting point. That's how it was before the changes.

Mad Al
29-12-2017, 12:31
Lol, indeed. I think it's great that if you are a mediocre and civil driver like me, it's not that hard to sustain 1600. Because it's not good if it's hard to keep it at 1500 which is the starting point. That's how it was before the changes.

sometimes I would agree.. at other times I'm definitely thinking.. WTF

Xx-Rickdj82-Xx
29-12-2017, 12:41
My rating is S1550 or there abouts and I find when I set up a lobby for C1300 hardly anybody joins lately I've been hosting lobbies set at U1250 and the lobby will be full and I think just because someone has a U rating does not mean they are there to be a wrecker they may just not have time to race alot or be new to the game and I've seen terrible sportsmanship from people with high safety ratings so I'm happy to race with the U ratings and have a full lobby than race round with a couple of people

Coolerking
29-12-2017, 13:04
Online now racing Caterham 7 at Knockhill if anyone wants a race? D1200 is minimum... Lobby is Caterham Love ��

poirqc
29-12-2017, 14:18

A french, a Japanese and a ??? walks into a bar...

MaximusN
29-12-2017, 14:20

That can only be a lot of disconnects...

A 1300 will have fun losing to those 3...

Good way to lower the score from your opponents, make the score of a second account crash by disconnecting, and then start beating others with it. :)

hkraft300
29-12-2017, 14:36

Good way to lower the score from your opponents, make the score of a second account crash by disconnecting, and then start beating others with it. :)

Cheeky!

Considering the anxiety outbreak of the performance rating punishing DC/kicks/rage quits, doing this will have people in tears over their rating...

poirqc
29-12-2017, 15:20
That can only be a lot of disconnects...

A 1300 will have fun losing to those 3...

Cheeky!

Considering the anxiety outbreak of the performance rating punishing DC/kicks/rage quits, doing this will have people in tears over their rating...

Smurfs account are always all over the place in all competitive games.

MaximusN
29-12-2017, 16:56
Cheeky!

I already said heavy disconnect penalties have their downsides, here is one ;)

Hate to say I told you so. :p

MJP
29-12-2017, 17:32
IIRC Yorkie said in one of his videos you only get rated against drivers who are within +/-400 of your rating.

MaximusN
29-12-2017, 17:55
IIRC Yorkie said in one of his videos you only get rated against drivers who are within +/-400 of your rating.
Even if that is true you can use a 1000 account to gripe everyone up to 1400.

But I kind of get the feeling that the system uses the real skill points(minus those silly penalties) to calculate. Because I've seen my rating rise even though I had the most points(me 1600, almost everyone was below 1500) AND I didn't even win. So I've got a sneaky suspicion the trick won't work. On the other hand, the rating has been known to lag a few races behind sometimes.

zedeeyen
29-12-2017, 19:38
I had a couple of DCs last night and didn't lose any points.

Either a welcome glitch or confirmation that the game now isn't punishing those with a high completion rate for disconnects.

bazzalaar
29-12-2017, 19:39
same, have had 3 today, no points losses.

ScoobyDave
29-12-2017, 19:40
I dropped down to 1200 while learning the game.
Tried all tracks and cars.
Now specialise on one car and a couple tracks and have pushed rating up to a1500 with specialising.
As mentioned here already, hosting high safety ratings to avoid idiots who can't drive is great in theory, but it limits your opposition.
If I race in an f lobby, I just start from the back and wait for most people to crash or fall off the track, finish in top 3 most times.
Rating still goes up as generally one other player with higher ranking gets involved with crash and I beat them.
I'll keep hosting lobbies of D and above, so if you want hard but fair racing, come find me...teamDKG.
Have2 young kids,so random playing time is order of the day ��

iggy
02-01-2018, 17:34
Now that I'm a A rated driver, I can speak to this topic. ( although probably not add significantly to what's already been said by others...

Safety rating - I'm not sure it tells you much of anything really about the driver. I mean, it does, and it doesn't. It certainly doesn't tell you much of anything about his ability to go fast. I'm A, 40% on my way to S rating. Now, I do really try hard to avoid wrecking someone, or being wrecked by someone, but really all it tells you is that I've raced a lot of hours online now, don't regularly intentionally crash people.

Near as I can tell, on PS4 at least... very few people care about safety rating. People join lobbies because they like the track and type of car being used, and not much more. For me personally, I look at the number of cars allowed in a race, generally speaking at this point I very much avoid races with more than 10 participants. I also avoid races with NO ratings implications, just because.

So far , I've never seen anyone bellow 1300 skill/win rating, mine hovers around 1500, sometimes I'll drop down to 1400 or so, next think I know I'm up to maybe 1550, but never been much higher so far.

So, what, now that my safety rating is up to A, I'm supposed to quit racing on a track I like with cars I like? What, I should join other A rated guys running in a class I am not good at, or on a track I don't know well? Not me... I actually run my own lobby more often than not, I have had bad experiences with people constantly changing the track, weather, cars used, etc... My main goal in PC2 is actually to become a better driver, I don't care if I ever have a skill level above 1550, I would like my safety rating to remain high, because I value that people know I'm a relatively safe driver ( although I think many people don't really understand that is what the letter means ).

I race in any lobby there is, as long as it uses the rating system... because I want to have fun, racing on a track I like, with a car I like... I have limited time to race, and can't really afford to restrict myself to the few lobbies that only allow people with the best safety ratings.

For the record, I would estimate that 90% of the people I've encountered on Playstation Network and PC2, have been doing their best to drive safely. Yes, there are some guys now and then , who are driving way over their own ability and will not think twice about trying to blow by you, without too much regard for safety, but the vast majority of people actually do drive reasonably well and with good intention... I see more people who just don't have enough skill to keep a car going straight, or to stop it before hitting you, than I see who are purposely trying to wreck someone.

Herege
03-01-2018, 02:49

Within the same safety rating?

Dave White
03-01-2018, 09:54
I'd like to see a safety rating system where we can differentiate between unsafe drivers and new drivers who are just getting started but are trying to be safe.
Currently 'F' might be someone very safe who just started or someone who has done loads of races and crashes all the time. The latter I don't want in my lobbies, but the first I do.
If we had something like S/A/B/C/D/E/F/U/X then we would know that 'F' meant a "slightly safe" player and all the crashers would stand out as 'X' and we could filter them out much more easily.
I guess the problem is that once you drop to X you might not get the chance to race, but we could have it so that an X rating reset to U after a day or something. Also you'd have to do quite a lot of races and keep crashing to get an X rating in the first place, so it wouldn't affect people who want to play in the right way.

Mad Al
03-01-2018, 09:58
I'd like to see a safety rating system where we can differentiate between unsafe drivers and new drivers who are just getting started but are trying to be safe.
Currently 'F' might be someone very safe who just started or someone who has done loads of races and crashes all the time. The latter I don't want in my lobbies, but the first I do.
If we had something like S/A/B/C/D/E/F/U/X then we would know that 'F' meant a "slightly safe" player and all the crashers would stand out as 'X' and we could filter them out much more easily.
I guess the problem is that once you drop to X you might not get the chance to race, but we could have it so that an X rating reset to U after a day or something. Also you'd have to do quite a lot of races and keep crashing to get an X rating in the first place, so it wouldn't affect people who want to play in the right way.

The colour of the license will tell you if they are just starting (blue), or more experienced (bronze, silver, gold or the flashy SMS special)

poirqc
03-01-2018, 16:42
The colour of the license will tell you if they are just starting (blue), or more experienced (bronze, silver, gold or the flashy SMS special)

Blue F is probably a good guy. Silver or Gold F, might remove it anyway.

Mad Al
03-01-2018, 16:55
Forgot to mention the special WMD license.. if you see one of those, be afraid.. be very afraid ;)

Dave White
03-01-2018, 16:57
I hadn't thought of that, but that still doesn't allow us to filter who joins a lobby...
I guess it might help with kicking, but I wouldn't like to kick someone just based on that, and it would be a manual process so they could still cause an amount of carnage before they were noticed - I'd rather be able to block the crashers from joining in the first place.

Mad Al
03-01-2018, 17:03
I hadn't thought of that, but that still doesn't allow us to filter who joins a lobby...
I guess it might help with kicking, but I wouldn't like to kick someone just based on that, and it would be a manual process so they could still cause an amount of carnage before they were noticed - I'd rather be able to block the crashers from joining in the first place.

Honestly, until someone proves they are a **** online, give them the benefit of the doubt.

and I should add, in a lobby you control (or everyone votes to kick)

SlowBloke
03-01-2018, 17:14
Will only join U servers once Im comfortably S rated. Then a missile up my butt wont annoy me so much as I can take the hit without dropping safety rating (assuming Im well within S) :)

sas5320
03-01-2018, 18:26
Safety rating - I'm not sure it tells you much of anything really about the driver. I mean, it does, and it doesn't. It certainly doesn't tell you much of anything about his ability to go fast. I'm A, 40% on my way to S rating. Now, I do really try hard to avoid wrecking someone, or being wrecked by someone, but really all it tells you is that I've raced a lot of hours online now, don't regularly intentionally crash people.

In the long-run (short-term it assigns both drivers the blame) that's all the Safety Rating was supposed to do: "are you safe on the track and especially around others?" Nothing more. Mission Accomplished.

Near as I can tell, on PS4 at least... very few people care about safety rating.

Probably on PS4 due to low amount players online, they're just happy to race with *anyone* (beggar's can't be choosers). I think if there was large, vibrant community we may see more interest in using the licensing systems (especially if the field size could be greater than 16 e.g., imagine 50 cars in a race)

I also avoid races with NO ratings implications, just because.

^The primary reason the safety/ratings was created. PC1 community was sick of the random krash kiddies.

I would like my safety rating to remain high, because I value that people know I'm a relatively safe driver ( although I think many people don't really understand that is what the letter means ).

Yes, you got it. Safety > Strength

I have limited time to race, and can't really afford to restrict myself to the few lobbies that only allow people with the best safety ratings.

Similarly, I have limited time to race so i cannot waste time with Krash Kids so I would like the game to identify them and help me filter them out. (Generally, I am agreeing with you. I hope.)

For the record, I would estimate that 90% of the people I've encountered on Playstation Network and PC2, have been doing their best to drive safely. Yes, there are some guys now and then , who are driving way over their own ability and will not think twice about trying to blow by you, without too much regard for safety, but the vast majority of people actually do drive reasonably well and with good intention... I see more people who just don't have enough skill to keep a car going straight, or to stop it before hitting you, than I see who are purposely trying to wreck someone.
I believe that the introduction of these basic/initial licensing systems in both GTS and PC2 have "cleaned up" the PSN racing community (does Forza have something similar?). If people at least are aware that Big Brother is watching, they'll behave better (even if Big Brother is not really watching). Let's see where the studios can make improvements in the future.