PDA

View Full Version : Green lights "early start" with no penalty

danpinho
25-12-2017, 14:28
I always sucks at starts. No matter how fast I make the pole.
But last race I have made a mistake when trying to anticipate green lights and bingo!
I jumped first gear before green lights and, no penalty.

Please DEVS, acknowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-lwNH73HA&feature=youtu.be

Nyreen
25-12-2017, 16:26
No, you just had perfect timing. It's more of an exploit than a reward, but the game thinks you jump-start when you make a certain distance before green light (something like, one or two meters). When I bought the game (and a wheel), I took the habit to shift in 1st gear too fast and the car would slide down the cliff and get me a DT (thinking about Oulton Park with the Ginetta's). Now I shift in 1st after the third red light, even if the track seems flat.

I think green lights are random, but it can easily reward you 0.5sec to "feel it" and jump right before the green light, exactly as you did.

Don't ask me why the car doesn't move in neutral when stopped on the starting grid. Black magic.

Rodders
25-12-2017, 21:34
Yeah pretty much a spot on start. Done it a few times. Very small grace allowed before a jump is given. I’d say less than a metre as I’ve left a manual shift car in gear and got a jump for a slight roll. So far as I know the green timing varies race to race so you can’t actually time it every time. Enjoy it when you get it ;)

Mad Al
25-12-2017, 21:49
Yep, perfect start..

Yes the green is random, despite seeing some people claim it's not (on A Certain other forum)

poirqc
25-12-2017, 23:37
I always sucks at starts. No matter how fast I make the pole.
But last race I have made a mistake when trying to anticipate green lights and bingo!
I jumped first gear before green lights and, no penalty.

Please DEVS, acknowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-lwNH73HA&feature=youtu.be

I have to agree with the others. Seems like a perfect start. You can move frame by frame in youtube. With . or , . Before the light went green, it's hard to see you move forward. As the light goes green, you can see your moving faster afterwards.

From my pov, if the advantage is hard to see on a frame by frame replay, you did a good one.

Nyreen
26-12-2017, 01:21
PS : You shift gears too late

Olijke Poffer
26-12-2017, 18:49
PS : You shift gears too late
? To late. Just before it hits the red zone. Is this to late?

bazzalaar
27-12-2017, 00:06
Most cars usually lose power near the redline. optimal shift point is when the engine is producing the most power and sometimes that can be quite a lot lower than where the engine redlines. in game you can cycle through the HUD layouts, there's a screen that shows lots of car info and if I remember correctly it's in the bottom right hand corner.

MaximusN
27-12-2017, 00:24
I have to agree with the others. Seems like a perfect start. You can move frame by frame in youtube. With . or , . Before the light went green, it's hard to see you move forward. As the light goes green, you can see your moving faster afterwards.

From my pov, if the advantage is hard to see on a frame by frame replay, you did a good one.

And even if not, there is some leeway, you can roll a few centimeters(just like IRL). So this was comparable to the 'impossible' Bottas start.

As people keep saying with the penalties(I can finally use this sentence for good) ;) : It's the same for everyone.

Nyreen
27-12-2017, 00:47
? To late. Just before it hits the red zone. Is this to late?

As bazzalaar said, cars horsepower is dropping before redline. You want to shift close to the redline on NA cars (or big single KKK turbo cars), but not on most turbo cars.

Actually, when the Ferrari got nerfed, the optimal shift went even lower than before. You should shift when the middle shift-light is turning on. Not after.

Rodders
27-12-2017, 05:51
Most cars usually lose power near the redline. optimal shift point is when the engine is producing the most power and sometimes that can be quite a lot lower than where the engine redlines. in game you can cycle through the HUD layouts, there's a screen that shows lots of car info and if I remember correctly it's in the bottom right hand corner.

It’s not that simple. While you are correct that the peak power is often before the redline, you also have to take into account you are changing into a longer gear which needs more power to get the same acceleration, so optimal gear change is often not at peak power but a bit after it.

MaximusN
27-12-2017, 15:14
It’s not that simple. While you are correct that the peak power is often before the redline, you also have to take into account you are changing into a longer gear which needs more power to get the same acceleration, so optimal gear change is often not at peak power but a bit after it.

You're right it's almost always (quite) a bit after peak horse power unless you've got gear ratios that are very very (too?) close.