PDA

View Full Version : Ride Height

ExiledinIN
26-12-2017, 04:58
I'm new to the game/series, and looking for some help. Running on Xbox One S with Fanatec CSL Elite pedals and wheel.

Track: Watkins Glen
Car: SMS Forumla Rookie

How do I tell that the car is bottoming out. When I set the view for telemetry I don't see the ride height going to near 0. I know there are a couple of corners where if I set it too low, I'll bottom out and then get instant oversteer.

Another related question is if I increase the bump stops, I know that the spring travel will decrease accordingly.

I'd like to know when I bottom out to try to set ride height, then the bump stops. But, how much bump stop is too much? I know for every mm of bump stop I add, I remove that mm in spring travel. Looking at the telemetry, what tells me when I have too much bump stops?

hkraft300
26-12-2017, 07:17
Travel going 0 mid-corner = too much bump stop.
Height going 0 = not enough bump stop.

ExiledinIN
09-03-2018, 00:03
So with neither the bump stop going to 0 or the travel going to 0, I don't think I'm bottoming out on the bumps, nor am I getting snap oversteer from hitting the track. After watching Yorkie065 video, I wonder if it is the bump transition that should affect my oversteer situation.

blinkngone
09-03-2018, 00:29
On PC I have checked the top 10 times, most are running Default ride height 85 front/ 95 rear. Bump stops are 20 front and rear with 1 person at 10 front. As usual little to no changes on dampers. One has LSD off the rest are running Coast at 30 which is from the Stable setup.
http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=2509185801&vehicle=2219682419

ExiledinIN
09-03-2018, 15:05
I changed the bump and rebound transistions (faster on the rear and slower on the front) to help with the over steer. Success!!!! I was able to lay down some pretty competitive times now that I didn't have to worry about the back end wanting to swing around to lead the race.

I'll have to check out the time trial setups to compare, but I want to run through the damper spreadsheet and get things back to normal again after finding the transition setting to not spin out on those pesky corners.

VelvetTorpedo
09-03-2018, 15:25
check this out:
https://youtu.be/Qd1z0DEGQK4?t=678
here yorkie065 talks about how he removes bumpstops as much as possible, as well as ride height. the link is a timehop to the bump stop part, but the whole video is worth watching.

he then goes a little deeper in this video with the bumpstops and dampers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ7O6HQBGYU

blinkngone
09-03-2018, 15:36
I changed the bump and rebound transistions (faster on the rear and slower on the front) to help with the over steer. Success!!!! I was able to lay down some pretty competitive times now that I didn't have to worry about the back end wanting to swing around to lead the race.

I'll have to check out the time trial setups to compare, but I want to run through the damper spreadsheet and get things back to normal again after finding the transition setting to not spin out on those pesky corners.

Glad your adjustments worked out.:cool: Most people disregard the entire Damper page.

Zeratall
20-03-2018, 05:32
Yeah its kinda sad, people think when they make a change to one part of the car they aren't messing with anything else, which is simply not true. If we take our suspension / damper for example, lets say someone changes the spring rate, if they don't change the damper settings to match the change in spring rate, they are effectively decreasing / increasing their dampening ratio.