PDA

View Full Version : Front tires wear too much

TrueValue
26-12-2017, 16:26
Hey guys,

since Patch 3.0 I noticed that no matter which car I drive, my front tires (especially front left tire) wear a lot. Sure, most tracks are driven clockwise and so the front left tire is used the most, but I have a feeling that it wears way too much. For example:

Fuji, GT1 Car (Panoz Esperante),16C track temperature, the game recommends soft tires. The front left tire was 90% worn after 11 minutes (5 laps) and completly worn out after 13 minutes (6 laps).

I know that the soft has a much shorter life span but it still feels too fast for me.

Also on GT3 cars (mostly the Ferrari) and with Hard Slicks I experience a lot of degrading. After a 25 minute race on Barcelona with 40C track temp my front left tire was over 50% worn.

One user here in this forum stated, that his hard tires were worn 10-15% on Le Mans after one hour. So I tried it, and mine were worn the same amount after about 10 minutes!

I tried to brake early, get a nice and clean apex and then accelerate properly but still, the tire wears too fast. I reduced camber, played a lot with the toe - in and toe out angle, but nothing really helps.

When I drive the BMW M6 GT3 car my tire wear is way less, so I think it is not my driving style but my setup. So my question is:

What can I do in the setup to reduce tire wear? And what else can I do concerning my driving style to help?

Answers would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the tire pressures and temperatures were always normal in my tests, except for Barcelona, since the track was hot and it really hurts the front left tire.

cpcdem
26-12-2017, 18:25
Are you locking your wheels a lot under braking? My tires had been also wearing very quickly (especially in qualifying), until I started taking it more easily on the brakes and that seems to have improved the situation considerably.

Fight-Test
26-12-2017, 19:05
Are you locking your wheels a lot under braking? My tires had been also wearing very quickly (especially in qualifying), until I started taking it more easily on the brakes and that seems to have improved the situation considerably.

Good point. Until I got my V3's which vibrate under locking I had no idea how much it was happening as you don't notice unless its extreme. I've been reviewing telemetry now to get my brake pressure right for each car/track combo. Probably overkill but I like a very short throw on my brake pedal so it was a huge help for me driving and setup wise. Any advice from cpcdem should be listened to, he is a hell of a wheelman. Up there with Ekay Jay and Wayne Kerr.

cpcdem
26-12-2017, 19:30
Hmmm, looks like I am very good at making people believe that I know what I'm saying and doing :)

Thanks for the good words! :)

TrueValue
26-12-2017, 19:33

I don't think so. I watch the replays and try to look at all wheels at least once over one round and the wheels are always turning. I thought about moving break bias more to the rear, will that maybe help?

hkraft300
26-12-2017, 19:53
I don't think so. I watch the replays and try to look at all wheels at least once over one round and the wheels are always turning. I thought about moving break bias more to the rear, will that maybe help?

Don’t rely on replays.
You can get a udp telemetry app (vrhive, rsdash are highly recommended), or increase the tire noise volume and listen for it.

Yes, slight adjustment to brake bias can help if you don’t lock the rear tires and spin.

Brake a fraction early.

TrueValue
26-12-2017, 21:27
Don’t rely on replays.
You can get a udp telemetry app (vrhive, rsdash are highly recommended), or increase the tire noise volume and listen for it.

Yes, slight adjustment to brake bias can help if you don’t lock the rear tires and spin.

Brake a fraction early.

Ok I will get the apps, but I doubt that wheel locking causes the problem. Imola is an anti clockwise track and I don't experience any issues here, at least not the left front :D. If the fronts are locking they should be equally worn but the left front tire is always worn significantly more (in clockwise tracks). All the other tires are quite fine.

hkraft300
26-12-2017, 21:33
Wheel or controller?
It might be worth increasing your steering ratio. If you're scrubbing/ understeer every turn you'll also definitely get a lot of tire wear.

Locking can be a problem. A little lock at every brake zone, add a bit of understeer and your tires are F*d in a few laps.
Don't sacrifice camber for tire wear: too little camber will rake away grip/response and increase wear.

I can run the C7R on soft tires, 2:23 lap times on a 30℃ spa and have 10% wear adder 10 laps.

Clockwise tracks if you are locking at all, the left front is more stressed anyway. You stress it in brake zone then through the turns it'll naturally wear more. Back off the brake pressure and brake a fraction early, that way you avoid lock up, get a smoother entry and line through the corner and you're more gentle on the tires.

MaximusN
26-12-2017, 21:46
Wheel or controller?
It might be worth increasing your steering ratio. If you're scrubbing/ understeer every turn you'll also definitely get a lot of tire wear.

Locking can be a problem. A little lock at every brake zone, add a bit of understeer and your tires are F*d in a few laps.
Don't sacrifice camber for tire wear: too little camber will rake away grip/response and increase wear.

I can run the C7R on soft tires, 2:23 lap times on a 30℃ spa and have 10% wear adder 10 laps.

Clockwise tracks if you are locking at all, the left front is more stressed anyway. You stress it in brake zone then through the turns it'll naturally wear more. Back off the brake pressure and brake a fraction early, that way you avoid lock up, get a smoother entry and line through the corner and you're more gentle on the tires.

And maybe dial in just a a little more oversteer into the car. If it's oversteery you're also less likely to turn the wheel too far in corners. So just making the front stabilizer bar one (or more) click softer(or do the reverse on the rear one) could help. I tend to love cars that I can steer just a tad with the rear and that helps the fronts a lot.

TrueValue
26-12-2017, 21:46
Wheel or controller?

I play with a wheel.

I don't experience understeer but I will try out your suggestions. By the way, I use the crew chief app and if I am not mistaken, he tells me if I lock my tires, but he only told me once on a car with no ABS.

So just to get it right (English is not my mother tongue), I should not play around with camber respectively lower it too much?

Knallie
28-12-2017, 17:38
Woops, I accidentally posted it in the wrong topic my bad