PDA

View Full Version : License point drops

Dietje ANX
27-12-2017, 14:20
In the weekend my license rank dropped from ( D1438 to E1464 with 2% ), Almost F in no time. After qualifying the game crashed and my license rank dropped. And when other racers hit my car i get contact warnings that effect my reputation. Does anyone has the sqame problem??

Foofer37
27-12-2017, 15:12
In the weekend my license rank dropped from ( D1438 to E1464 with 2% ), Almost F in no time. After qualifying the game crashed and my license rank dropped. And when other racers hit my car i get contact warnings that effect my reputation. Does anyone has the sqame problem??

Yes, to me this a huge problem. It's a deal breaker for me and I just avoid multiplayer anymore. I can on about it, but no one wants to hear it. But yes, this a problem for me as well.

m00lean
27-12-2017, 15:28
The loss of points due to disconnects and crashes is a problem. But the impact on the safety rating is working fine. It always takes at least two people for a crash. I hate to say it, but learn to drive and watch your mirrors.

Foofer37
27-12-2017, 15:43
The loss of points due to disconnects and crashes is a problem. But the impact on the safety rating is working fine. It always takes at least two people for a crash. I hate to say it, but learn to drive and watch your mirrors.

Uh, no. It doesn't take 2 people to crash. Just one intent on putting you in the wall. Which is a regular occurrence. Learn to drive. Lol. Typical answer.
And honestly, I don't think driving has that much to do with your performance. Your car setup does. I can race against the AI will all different kinds of settings, yet perform just fine. The car handles differently, but I can come to grips with it. But in multiplayer, you simply can't compete unless you find 'that right' setup.
I watch guys in multiplayer fly around the track in GT3 cars as if they're driving F1 cars. It looks ridiculous. It's quite unrealistic. But this is part of the game otherwise a lot of people will lose interest. So, it's all about that really. The setup. Find that and your car goes around a circuit like a go-kart. Easy to drive.

cpcdem
27-12-2017, 20:46
Uh, no. It doesn't take 2 people to crash. Just one intent on putting you in the wall. Which is a regular occurrence. Learn to drive. Lol. Typical answer.
And honestly, I don't think driving has that much to do with your performance. Your car setup does. I can race against the AI will all different kinds of settings, yet perform just fine. The car handles differently, but I can come to grips with it. But in multiplayer, you simply can't compete unless you find 'that right' setup.
I watch guys in multiplayer fly around the track in GT3 cars as if they're driving F1 cars. It looks ridiculous. It's quite unrealistic. But this is part of the game otherwise a lot of people will lose interest. So, it's all about that really. The setup. Find that and your car goes around a circuit like a go-kart. Easy to drive.

Nope, it doesn't have to do with the setup. The setup might give you an extra second or so, or a bit more in long tracks, but it's not mostly about setup. I think almost every single sim racer (including myself) at some point believed it is all about the setup, but at some point you realize it isn't, it's just that some people are extremely fast and they simply get an extra help from their setup. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will get even faster than what you are now, because you will concentrate on further improving your skill.

And about the crashes and safety ranking, as a lot of people have pointed out before, it does not matter if you also get penalized when someone rams you. The rammer will ram another 10 people and will accumulate a lot of "negative" points. You, as a clean driver, you will only have this one negative point from that crash, so if you drive cleanly otherwise, you will quickly increase your safety ranking, while the rammer will always stay at U.

Foofer37
27-12-2017, 21:28
Nope, it doesn't have to do with the setup. The setup might give you an extra second or so, or a bit more in long tracks, but it's not mostly about setup. I think almost every single sim racer (including myself) at some point believed it is all about the setup, but at some point you realize it isn't, it's just that some people are extremely fast and they simply get an extra help from their setup. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will get even faster than what you are now, because you will concentrate on further improving your skill.

And about the crashes and safety ranking, as a lot of people have pointed out before, it does not matter if you also get penalized when someone rams you. The rammer will ram another 10 people and will accumulate a lot of "negative" points. You, as a clean driver, you will only have this one negative point from that crash, so if you drive cleanly otherwise, you will quickly increase your safety ranking, while the rammer will always stay at U.

So what are your settings in whatever GT3 car you like to run? Just, whatever? Or do you have specific settings? Fuel level, wing, tires etc. It does matter. Why say it doesn't? If I say run little to no wing in say the 911 GT3 and hard tires you won't be able to get it around the track. Not nearly as fast as someone that has a better setup anyway. So again, why say it's not about setup? Hey I'm all into saying that some guys have real skill, but not without the proper setup.

Charger
27-12-2017, 21:38
Here is my winning 911 GT3 setup, drop fuel, hard tyres always, TCS off, done. ;-)

Although against cpcdem in a Ferrari lol, dead duck.

Foofer37
27-12-2017, 22:26
Here is my winning 911 GT3 setup, drop fuel, hard tyres always, TCS off, done. ;-)

Although against cpcdem in a Ferrari lol, dead duck.

Which means if I'm not mistaken, you're running front wing at 1.00 and rear wing at 7.00. I believe that's the default. So, these settings matter too then? Right?

Charger
27-12-2017, 22:50
Which means if I'm not mistaken, you're running front wing at 1.00 and rear wing at 7.00. I believe that's the default. So, these settings matter too then? Right?

Depends on the track. maybe drop the rear occasionally to 5 on longer straights but what I'm getting at is minimal tuning required.

cpcdem
27-12-2017, 23:05
So what are your settings in whatever GT3 car you like to run? Just, whatever? Or do you have specific settings? Fuel level, wing, tires etc. It does matter. Why say it doesn't? If I say run little to no wing in say the 911 GT3 and hard tires you won't be able to get it around the track. Not nearly as fast as someone that has a better setup anyway. So again, why say it's not about setup? Hey I'm all into saying that some guys have real skill, but not without the proper setup.

I like the 488, I am using 2-5 downforce in all tracks, have gotten used to it and never bothered adjusting it per track. I make small pressure adjustments so it goes up to around 26 psi hot, around 52-48 brake bias, I use 13%-14% traction control and also adjust the diff a bit, higher coast and lower preload in order to give a bit better turn in, but that's about it. Maybe also a little lower front ARB, but I am really not comfortable making suspension or damper changes at all. I don't think those changes me make me much faster, but they do make me a bit more comfortable. Yes, it does matter, but to my experience setup maybe gives you 10% of your speed and the rest is practice over and over again.

davidt33
27-12-2017, 23:13

Yup, losing ratings and/or points for getting disconnected through no fault of yours and getting hit from behind is a problem and also distressing.

Charger
27-12-2017, 23:28
I like the 488, I am using 2-5 downforce in all tracks, have gotten used to it and never bothered adjusting it per track. I make small pressure adjustments so it goes up to around 26 psi hot, around 52-48 brake bias, I use 13%-14% traction control and also adjust the diff a bit, higher coast and lower preload in order to give a bit better turn in, but that's about it. Maybe also a little lower front ARB, but I am really not comfortable making suspension or damper changes at all. I don't think those changes me make me much faster, but they do make me a bit more comfortable. Yes, it does matter, but to my experience setup maybe gives you 10% of your speed and the rest is practice over and over again.

I agree, I hardly touch tuning, I think with practise you can drive around the cars, I look at it like jumping into a mates fast car, I can't set it up I just drive it as fast as possible, I may be able to drive it faster than the guy that owns it but that just comes down to driver ability.

I'd be interested in trying your tune on the 488 cpc around RBR as that what we raced when I had the Porker and I couldn't keep with you but I had no tune on it, would be a good test to see if tuning or default makes that much difference, I'll race you with a default 488 and then with your tune as we seem to be well matched with pace.

Charger
27-12-2017, 23:48

I'd be careful with that though I don't think that is anywhere near what you would get if you compare overall laptimes, I was about a second of your pace so in % wise saying 10% that say on a 2 min lap is 12 seconds difference, maybe 10% on top speed on a straight but at 150 you'd be doing 165mph, doable but you would have so low downforce corners would be hard.

On laptimes alone I'd say a good set up on a 2min lap with the same good driver could be up to 2 secs a lap, that is just over a 3% gain on a default set up, you can gain a lot more than this on your standard ability by racing close and looking at people's lines and getting to know the car and stick to that car in that class, also explore different lines on a track especially if you are in a different car chasing someone, just because you are on their bumper and following their lines doesn't mean it's the fastest for you in the car you are in compared to theirs.

Adapt to the moment, there is no perfect line in the heat of it, there may be on TT but there isn't in a race, you push wherever you need to.

Push hard and make them make mistakes, you can guarantee they are looking in their rear view mirror due to the pressure and this is what gives you the edge while chasing, put pressure on them, pull out on a straight as if you are having a look at doing a fakey overtake and pull back in into the corner, do fakey divebombs into corners but brake before the corner to maybe force them into a wide line as they thought you were going to overtake.

It's a bit of Psychology needed in racing, it's no good racing thinking your skill will win races, adaptation is key, read the guy you are chasing and probe for their weakness.

cpcdem
28-12-2017, 01:56
I'd be careful with that though I don't think that is anywhere near what you would get if you compare overall laptimes, I was about a second of your pace so in % wise saying 10% that say on a 2 min lap is 12 seconds difference, maybe 10% on top speed on a straight but at 150 you'd be doing 165mph, doable but you would have so low downforce corners would be hard.

Sorry, I wasn't being literal with the 10% percentage, that was just an arbitrary number, only wanted to point out that it's mainly practice that gets you the good lap times, and setups just help that additional extra little bit.

About Red Bull Ring, I had logged a 1.29.1 laptime just after the patch 3, so if you want you can try the exact setup I had used by getting it from the TT setup sharing. I think in this track it's mostly about carrying speed through the corners, especially turn 1, going quickly on throttle during the turn gains a good amount of time on the next straight. Similarly for turn 2, although it's much slower.

Push hard and make them make mistakes, you can guarantee they are looking in their rear view mirror due to the pressure and this is what gives you the edge while chasing, put pressure on them, pull out on a straight as if you are having a look at doing a fakey overtake and pull back in into the corner, do fakey divebombs into corners but brake before the corner to maybe force them into a wide line as they thought you were going to overtake.

It's a bit of Psychology needed in racing, it's no good racing thinking your skill will win races, adaptation is key, read the guy you are chasing and probe for their weakness.

Yeap, absolutely agreed, I try to apply similar tactics, but with never actually divebombing, at least that's always my intention and in case I mess up, I let the other guy retake the position. Of course other people try the same tactics on me and often I crack as well :)

toold
29-12-2017, 21:49
Yep, you're absolutely right, but 25 points penalty only why the looser of server admin pulls the plug of the server, because he was loosing the race is a no go.
Sometimes its necessary to restart a session, specially after carnage. WE NEED A RESTART SESSION FUNCTION.

beatrunner
08-01-2018, 22:53
AFAIK SMS did confirm (or a MOD at least did so) that there will be changes to the system. i just don't get why don't just make that one adjustment right now without waiting for the next "big patch":

- Reducing Penalties / Ranking reducition for
- Disconnects / Kicks
- DQ for Jumpstarts at Point to Point tracks
---> U all know California Highway's Starting point?
---> It's uphills and goes slightly downwards there, right?
---> Got an instant DQ because i forgot to stand on brakes after clicking "ready"
---> Got a big Fat -26 for that DQ
---> Why on earth that hard of a Penalty?
--- >Why does the system not see that it wasn't a "jumpstart" but "forgot to brake"???
----> A penalty of about 5-10 secs. would sure be enough - instead of DQ
---> and if a DQ - please "system" check my history (over 600 ranked races) and decide not to give me -26 for such a "minor mistake"

Thank, thanks, thanks

Because the license should reflect my Skill such penalties just don't serve the "measurement of skill" anymore. it's just destroying all the otherwise well working ELO system. and i think such penalties does not exist in ELO rating? i mean, penalty for minor mistake is (in my case) about 13 time as high as the avg. ranking + i get for my winnings (avg. +2 a race, at S1756 / Max was. 1828 - went down quickly because such harsh "skill reduction decissions by the system" (DQ / Disconnect)...

GrimeyDog
08-01-2018, 23:09
And honestly, I don't think driving has that much to do with your performance. Your car setup does. I can race against the AI will all different kinds of settings, yet perform just fine. The car handles differently, but I can come to grips with it. "But in multiplayer, you simply can't compete unless you find 'that right' setup."

Not true at all!!! I still use the stock/Default car set up and i compete and hold My own very well in online races ---> some people will be slow even with the #1 leader board set up for any given track... The best set up is the 1 that fits your driving style and you are the Most consistent with... people Run away all the time on the straights with blazing straight line speed but i catch them 2 or 3 corners later off the Road, spun out all by themselves or the wall and they never see me again for the rest of the race!!! car tuning doesn't really make the car faster car tuning is more about tuning the car to your specific driving style and habits. EX: what good is it to run low down force to gain straight line speed but you cant handle the car in corners and end up off the road:confused:

My rank is A1650 and I'm 91% to My S license.

satco1066
09-01-2018, 01:14
totally agree. most people think the trick is to be very fast at some straights.
But most loose their time in corners. To fast in and to slow out.
I also drive mostly with default setups and lough about the fast guys stuck in the next corner in the sand or walls.

hkraft300
09-01-2018, 02:17

This whole post is ridiculous. There's a grey area between exaggeration and BS - you're deep into that BS area.

If there's 1 intent on putting you in the wall, with careful observation and avoiding them, patience, you can 99% not get hit. I'm not going to try to pass a wrecking back marker on the side straight - he will just side swipe me. I won't pass him on the outside, he can just run wide. I won't sit in front of him approaching a brake zone. There are plenty of ways to avoid getting smashed. Learn them.

You'll never improve/ learn anything if you're intent on blaming everything and everyone.

That goes the same with your view on setup, unrealistic tuning.

So if tuning is so crucial and driving doesn't matter: if I'm put in Ricciardo's F1 car with his setup I should drive his lap times right? No. I always run really sweet setups on my GT cars, but there are guys on default setup that drive faster. How's that work?
Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?

zedeeyen
09-01-2018, 10:44
That goes the same with your view on setup, unrealistic tuning.

So if tuning is so crucial and driving doesn't matter: if I'm put in Ricciardo's F1 car with his setup I should drive his lap times right? No. I always run really sweet setups on my GT cars, but there are guys on default setup that drive faster. How's that work?
Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?
I am nowhere near one of the fastest guys online, but I've managed a podium rate of >50% and I have never run anything but the default Stable set-up on any car. The only setting I've ever tweaked is the amount of fuel.

hkraft300
09-01-2018, 10:56
My driving talents don't flatter my stats as much.

cpcdem
09-01-2018, 12:32
I mostly disagree with most of Foofer's post, but the deliberate ramming issue is a real problem and very difficult to avoid, there exist people who just have it as their objective to join races simply to ruin them. They are trolls who get fed by doing that. Very recently I was in a U public lobby with almost 20 touring cars, on race start there were 2 guys that accelerated while the first red lights were shown, smashed everybody on their way, then hunted the ones that survived, for the rest of the race. Last lap, it was only me and another one racer left in the race, apart from the 2 trolls. One of the trolls waited for me to get me out (again), but this time I played cat and mice with him at slow speed for a few turns, until I managed to ram him into a spin and crash him into the barriers myself! During all the race he was talking very proud of his actions, in the end we shut up, that was very fun :)

Those 2 trolls were not one of those who have been mentioned here in earlier threads/posts, they were new to me, so it's like a plague in U servers. I know, I can avoid those servers, but newcomers can't, so hopefully something can be done about that. A black list or something, I am guessing SMS cannot do something about it, but at least people hosting races should now about them. Or give as a way to kick people by vote easily during races..I did step to the side of the track to ESC and vote to kick those 2 trolls, but apparently not many others did that/knew how to do it, so they survived till the end. An easy way to vote to kick while racing could had solved that problem.

Invincible
09-01-2018, 12:48
I mostly disagree with most of Foofer's post, but the deliberate ramming issue is a real problem and very difficult to avoid, there exist people who just have it as their objective to join races simply to ruin them. They are trolls who get fed by doing that. Very recently I was in a U public lobby with almost 20 touring cars, on race start there were 2 guys that accelerated while the first red lights were shown, smashed everybody on their way, then hunted the ones that survived, for the rest of the race. Last lap, it was only me and another one racer left in the race, apart from the 2 trolls. One of the trolls waited for me to get me out (again), but this time I played cat and mice with him at slow speed for a few turns, until I managed to ram him into a spin and crash him into the barriers myself! During all the race he was talking very proud of his actions, in the end we shut up, that was very fun :)

It wasn't Renault Meganes on Imola by chance? Those f***s got me really angry...

cpcdem
09-01-2018, 12:54
It wasn't Renault Meganes on Imola by chance? Those f***s got me really angry...

Nope, it was in Brno, open TC class I think. Agreed about the rest that you say, though :)

zedeeyen
09-01-2018, 13:54

Those 2 trolls were not one of those who have been mentioned here in earlier threads/posts, they were new to me, so it's like a plague in U servers. I know, I can avoid those servers, but newcomers can't, so hopefully something can be done about that. A black list or something, I am guessing SMS cannot do something about it, but at least people hosting races should now about them. Or give as a way to kick people by vote easily during races..I did step to the side of the track to ESC and vote to kick those 2 trolls, but apparently not many others did that/knew how to do it, so they survived till the end. An easy way to vote to kick while racing could had solved that problem.
Skill rating starts you at mid-range; 1500pts. You can move up or down.

Safety rating should do the same. Start everyone at D and then anyone at F or U definitely isn't safe and can be avoided.

Invincible
09-01-2018, 13:59
Skill rating starts you at mid-range; 1500pts. You can move up or down.

Safety rating should do the same. Start everyone at D and then anyone at F or U definitely isn't safe and can be avoided.

Or simply, if you got votekicked out of at least 15 races while still being in U or F class, you get "promoted" to "T" like troll.

bazzalaar
09-01-2018, 17:24
Think I must be one of the few lucky ones. I rarely encounter half of the problems people complain about in the forums. I race in all sorts of lobbies (I don't go out of my way to find one to match my license "A") I hardly ever get a lobby full of rammers. Even if i do, I know how to spot and avoid them. Using the mirror can work quite well. If you brake and the car behind starts getting a lot bigger in the mirror, don't turn in maybe take pre-emptive avoiding action... In the 200 online races I've started, I've finished 184, had one DQ (not pitting on final lap - didn't check to see if it was a pitstop race) and 4 non finishes. Those 4 races are the only times I've ever quit. 2 due to lobby full of knobs, 1 time because I had to take a phone call and 1 disconnection.
Recently disconnections haven't even registered for me. Last week in one evening, I had 3 disconnections during race starts. Didn't take any points from me, didn't even show up on my stats as not finishing a race...

Alfisti
09-01-2018, 17:53
Just started online and DAMN, PC2 is clearly harder than PC1 because so many drivers are all over the place. I am unsure of my braking so tend to brake a little early then exit fast and I am relentlessly rear ended and lose points, it's insane.

Or. I intentionally start last, wait for the wrecks and drive around them but I am often hit as these wrecks rejoin the road, yet i am penalised.

ScoobyDave
09-01-2018, 18:28
Not true at all!!! I still use the stock/Default car set up and i compete and hold My own very well in online races ---> some people will be slow even with the #1 leader board set up for any given track... The best set up is the 1 that fits your driving style and you are the Most consistent with... people Run away all the time on the straights with blazing straight line speed but i catch them 2 or 3 corners later off the Road, spun out all by themselves or the wall and they never see me again for the rest of the race!!! car tuning doesn't really make the car faster car tuning is more about tuning the car to your specific driving style and habits. EX: what good is it to run low down force to gain straight line speed but you cant handle the car in corners and end up off the road:confused:

My rank is A1650 and I'm 91% to My S license.

Agree. If set up allowed you to add more power, then setup would be the difference.
Change your set up to suit your style. Be patient. Wreckers get bored quickly, racers get better with practice and patience.

cpcdem
09-01-2018, 19:03
Agree. If set up allowed you to add more power, then setup would be the difference.
Change your set up to suit your style. Be patient. Wreckers get bored quickly, racers get better with practice and patience.

There's one thing that does that, closed radiators, which can be used without a disadvantage, at least in TT. Gives you a few tenths.
I'd personally love to see this setup option completely thrown away from the game...

321Respawn
09-01-2018, 22:19
Don't worry about your letter rank everyone plays in U servers anyway so you will have plenty races ahead of you. Any servers above F are empty and just a place to park while having dinner. Worry more about the skill rating because if you lose that you may end up truly screwed.

bo_huggabee
09-01-2018, 22:40

why is it there are always assumptive, big heads around here that think we don't know how to "drive." you are very arrogant. you imply that you know how to drive and we are just pathetic and don't understand how to play games, when we've probably been around in them longer than you have. you are troll.

hkraft300
09-01-2018, 23:34
why is it there are always assumptive, big heads around here that think we don't know how to "drive." you are very arrogant. you imply that you know how to drive and we are just pathetic and don't understand how to play games, when we've probably been around in them longer than you have. you are troll.

:glee: oh look Mr “I’m Senna and th3 mods are hacking my game” is back...

pkcraistlin
10-01-2018, 06:05
i have amazing mental talents where i can turn off my brain :cool:

Konan
10-01-2018, 07:05
i have amazing mental talents where i can turn off my brain :cool:

...that's fine...as long as you know how to turn it back on....

satco1066
10-01-2018, 11:54
exaggerated opinion of oneself is the highway to last place :p

Rodders
10-01-2018, 13:17
Don't worry about your letter rank everyone plays in U servers anyway so you will have plenty races ahead of you. Any servers above F are empty and just a place to park while having dinner. Worry more about the skill rating because if you lose that you may end up truly screwed.

I'd say the exact opposite lol. Worry about your letter, stop caring about driver rating (unless you plan to take part in competitions that demand a high driver rating).

You want in the cleanest servers you need a decent safety rating. We always lower the safety for our servers but leave driver rating at 100. While I get that tighter safety rating tends to mean less people join the server, that won't last as more and more decent drivers lower their safety rating and people learn the good lobbies to join for the best chances of a clean race. If you are happy just joining U rated servers then good luck to you but even an F rated server will be significantly cleaner than a U. I suspect the decent clean lobbies will settle on D or E and if you can't reach that you need to take a look at your driving as you are part of the problem whether you agree or not. There are always steps you can take to stay out of trouble more. When I was focussed on getting my safety down I changed my approach to a race completely - start at the back on purpose and do EVERYTHING to avoid contact, forget about trying to win. Turned out I still got up front in a lot of races simply by avoiding the idiots and incompetent. Doing that I learned a lot about incident avoidance and now find I generally can avoid incidents much better as it gave me a better instinctual sense for doing so.

bazzalaar
10-01-2018, 17:25
I think too much of an issue is made regarding the points and rating system... I'm presuming most of it is due to people wanting to massage their own egos about what their "online reputation is"?
I've had good races with people ranked "U" and low number of points. I've also had bad races with people rated A and lots of points. It's all relative.

If you looked at your online racing as one big online championship, that you're constantly pursuing points, you have to expect that due to it being a numbers game, you are going to have good and bad results. Thats racing!

Any real life racing driver will tell you, there are a lot of ups and downs. You may win some races, but along the way you will have bad results and sometimes not even finish races. Some people here could do with thinking about that, instead of crying here every time they lose points due to a disconnection or a bad driver. As the old saying goes "Shit happens". Don't let it wind you up.

Keena
10-01-2018, 17:44
The other point that I'd like to add to the above is that by avoiding U rated drivers, you are potentially denying an entrance into online for new drivers. I'm kind of getting to grips with it all still, but I think it's possible to set the lobby for U and up but also specify the number of points on the licence which for new people like myself I think is 1500? Then by naming the lobby as something obvious like New Drivers welcome it then becomes a vehicle for increasing numbers online. That's a good thing right?.. If you fancy not doing that at least once or twice that then thats Ok, but ultimately might not be as self serving as you think, as new drivers come online, end up in lobbies with wreckers because that's all that is available and run away screaming never again..

Edit- just ran a formula rookie race with damage on performance impacting. It was interesting to see a bit of room being given suddenly. I'm kind of curious how many people run lobbies with no damage because to me, if you remove the consequence of an action, its hardly motivating people not to do it.. why back out of a move if the biggest risk is banging wheels and skating across the grass for a bit? Suddenly with damage there's a thought process- if I stuff this up it could end my race. Better leave some room.. under these circumstances I can completely understand avoiding lower tier licences.

hkraft300
11-01-2018, 01:33
Damage on lobbies seem cleaner to me.

Throw in a mandatory pit to null the disadvantage from 1st lap accidents, you have a tight race :)

Keena
11-01-2018, 09:24
Noted :)

cotcodacunu
11-01-2018, 21:19
Today I won a race in online multiplayer with no penalties, no contact, clean racing. I lost 5 points. How is that possible? :(

davidt33
11-01-2018, 21:40
Today I won a race in online multiplayer with no penalties, no contact, clean racing. I lost 5 points. How is that possible? :(

I has consprcy thery.

cpcdem
11-01-2018, 22:03

What had happened in the previous race to that? It has happened to me many times that I've had a bad result in one race, but at the end to my surprise I see no points lost. But after the next race, no matter the outcome, I do see the points get decreased (due to the first race result).

cotcodacunu
12-01-2018, 01:07
Before the race, nothing special, a few online pretty clean races, like top 5. I had won races before online an got no points, even lost some and got no minus points.

satco1066
12-01-2018, 13:46
it depends how many players are in the session ( human players) and how lower their points are. if you ,e.g. 1400 pts, win against some players with only 900 pts you earn only a few, no or in worst case you loose points.

Its your reputation. So if a professional wins against beginners it doesn't really raise reputation. Not here and not IRL.

mr_belowski
12-01-2018, 13:52
if you have 2000 points and race against 20 guys all with 900 points and you win, what kind of broken rating system would see you *lose* points? Sure, maybe you'll gain nothing or almost nothing, but to be penalised for winning is stupid regardless of the strength of the field

Bealdor
12-01-2018, 13:53
if you have 2000 points and race against 20 guys all with 900 points and you win, what kind of broken rating system would see you *lose* points? Sure, maybe you'll gain nothing or almost nothing, but to be penalised for winning is stupid regardless of the strength of the field

If the rating difference is that high, nobody gains or loses points.

FxUK
12-01-2018, 13:59
I'm convinced something is wrong with how the points are being calculated, perhaps using physical position rather than the race position.

Let's say I'm in a lobby with 20 others with a fairly even spread of skill ratings....

If I come 4th, with no incidents, clean racing etc.. I might get ~1-4 points or perhaps even lose some, depending on the spread of skill points.

However.. (and I have seen this more than once now) if I end up at the back due to my own error or being rammed, so potential contact, damaged car and having to limp around to the pits, I find that if I rejoin behind say 2nd or 3rd and complete the race (bearing in mind I'm a lap down) I can gain ~10 or more skill points.

If I didn't pit (damage off) and stayed close to the back, I lose what seems to be max points.

I'm currently at S1500, its been a bit of a roller coaster so far, dropping lots of points in 1 race (due to being rammed to death and not a full lap down but say 30-40s behind p1) that it takes another 5-6 clean races to claw back.

Scott Coffey
12-01-2018, 14:09

Not true at all. Most lobbies are "U", either because that's what people want or they don't know how to change it. The few non-"U" lobbies I see are always popular.

Plus, most lobbies have ridiculously low skill ratings... almost never above 1000. So your advice is wrong on both levels.

Concentrate on raising your safety rating in order to get into lobbies with better drivers.

cpcdem
12-01-2018, 15:12
However.. (and I have seen this more than once now) if I end up at the back due to my own error or being rammed, so potential contact, damaged car and having to limp around to the pits, I find that if I rejoin behind say 2nd or 3rd and complete the race (bearing in mind I'm a lap down) I can gain ~10 or more skill points.

Yes, I've seen that, too. Last week I was in a server so bad, rammed too many times that I really had no courage left to continue, so at the 2nd to last lap I just waited for the leader to pass me and finish the race behind him, one lap down, without needing to limp for another lap. I thought that this way I would at least lose less points than by completely abandoning the race, but not only did that happen, but in addition I actually gained some points! Looked like the system awarded me points as if I was 2nd place, instead of one lap down that I really was.

Alfisti
12-01-2018, 15:12
It is really tricky, I find PC2 tough to race to begin with. The cars are way twitchier so even those behaving often spin or run into you which affects your own rating. I was REALLY hooked up at Monza, running mid pack but passing people easily, I can around lesmo2 and a car spun RIGHT on the racing line. I just clipped him and boom, my race was over and I lost points.

So annoying as you get caught in a circle of shite as you cannot escape the U lobbies.

FxUK
12-01-2018, 15:48
Yes, I've seen that, too. Last week I was in a server so bad, rammed too many times that I really had no courage left to continue, so at the 2nd to last lap I just waited for the leader to pass me and finish the race behind him, one lap down, without needing to limp for another lap. I thought that this way I would at least lose less points than by completely abandoning the race, but not only did that happen, but in addition I actually gained some points! Looked like the system awarded me points as if I was 2nd place, instead of one lap down that I really was.

In such a scenario, I wonder how that would affect the person who is actually in 2nd.. points wise. Maybe, in some situations, it could also be the reason some players are losing points when they finish in a high position, especially if they are behind back markers with much lower skill rank.

i.e physical positions crossing the finish line:

1) 1st S1600
2) 18th F1000 (lap down)
3) 19th C1100 (lap down)
4) 2nd S1600

18th would score as if 2nd (so it seems), 19th as if 3rd, so would 2nd places points be considered as losing to F1000 & C1100 (therefore losing a lot of points, I assume)
Seems to me like the whole skill point system could be very easily manipulated if this is the case, it already seems like it partially can (to raise your own rank)

cpcdem
12-01-2018, 16:11
If it indeed works (by mistake) like that, it can certainly explain some very strange point awarding that we've all seen. Needs some testing to confirm this, but I am really not looking forward to finishing many more more races a lap down, just to find out! :)