PDA

View Full Version : optimal oil temperature - radiator ?

thydney1970
28-12-2017, 23:45
just a short one for finding the optimal radiator opening, what is the optimal window of oil temperature ? rather around 100 C or rather around 120C?
I'm asking that for finding the perfect radiator opening.

Thanks a lot.

Herege
29-12-2017, 00:02
Good question, in game I don't know but I would like. At real life and normal cars are about 90C - 93C. I try to replicate the real life values. Exception at 100C at extreme conditions.

JuZ
30-12-2017, 07:18
On track you would regularly expect to see a higher oil temperature, up to about 120c is quite acceptable.

Cristi
04-01-2018, 04:33
The thermostat in normal cars regulate the temperature at about the 90 degrees mark. Even so, depending on where you measure the temperature, 90-110 degrees is common.

danpinho
04-01-2018, 10:46
I believe the DEVS could give us a hint here.
AFAIK petrol oil have different peak operating values than synthetic ones.
:confused:

RobPhoboS
04-01-2018, 11:16
On track you would regularly expect to see a higher oil temperature, up to about 120c is quite acceptable.

Max I'd say (IRL), running any higher longer and it's not going to be protecting bits n bobs particularly well.

Marlborofranz
04-01-2018, 12:47
I got the feeling that at around 110 degrees C the engine starts wearing at an increasing rate, 120 is worse and at 130 you can see the engine health go down within a few laps. Not sure if water or oil temperature, though.

I'm trying to keep it between 90-100 degrees, short races are fine though. But in endurance races you gonna spend a lot of time in the pits for engine repairs

davidt33
04-03-2018, 14:12
Just found this thread from a Google search with the search question being "Project Cars 2 What's good radiator opening for endurance races?" (approx 12-30 laps)
I'm not absolutely clear on the subject so seeking some clarification. What I presumed from real life is that radiators contain water/coolant which is responsible for keeping the engine cool. Then comes PCars2 where I first saw in Tuning options: Engine, an adjustment option for Radiator Opening (The default being 75). The tips being: The less the opening = More speed (with sacrifice of drag and potential overheating)....... The higher the opening = Less speed (with the inherent less potential for overheating).

I had seen nothing regarding Oil Temperature but I'm gathering it has to do with the Radiator and its cooling/heating respective of Opening adjustment number.

Back to Radiator Opening. I used to leave it at default 75 but afterwards generally adjusted to "30" after seeing most tunes with 30 or less acquiring faster times. (Think that had to do though with TTs (short laps). I had still left it at that for 15-30 laps races.....That is until recently using the app "Crew Chief" he started giving me warnings about oil temperature getting high and potential for engine damage. I then reverted to 75 (at one time I put it up at 90 but then went back to 75). The strange thing though is even at 75 Crew Chief is warning me about oil temperature getting high so I'm a bit confused. I don't want to put Radiator Opening at lower numbers and risk Oil Temperature getting too high and damaging engine.... while at the same time I don't want to put it at a high number albeit for better cooling but sacrificing speed (I'm not the fastest rabbit).

......So that is my conundrum....What number should I put Radiator Opening to for endurance racing (12-30 laps)?.....for dry/clear weather..... so as not to sacrifice speed but yet to be engine safe so as not to have to repair engine during pit stop.

demand34
04-03-2018, 14:25
Anything above 100C and the engine will begin wearing out sooner or later.

120C and you will not last long. It's too high.

Fight-Test
04-03-2018, 14:27
Just found this thread from a Google search with the search question being "Project Cars 2 What's good radiator opening for endurance races?" (approx 12-30 laps)
I'm not absolutely clear on the subject so seeking some clarification. What I presumed from real life is that radiators contain water/coolant which is responsible for keeping the engine cool. Then comes PCars2 where I first saw in Tuning options: Engine, an adjustment option for Radiator Opening (The default being 75). The tips being: The less the opening = More speed (with sacrifice of drag and potential overheating)....... The higher the opening = Less speed (with the inherent less potential for overheating).

I had seen nothing regarding Oil Temperature but I'm gathering it has to do with the Radiator and its cooling/heating respective of Opening adjustment number.

Back to Radiator Opening. I used to leave it at default 75 but afterwards generally adjusted to "30" after seeing most tunes with 30 or less acquiring faster times. (Think that had to do though with TTs (short laps). I had still left it at that for 15-30 laps races.....That is until recently using the app "Crew Chief" he started giving me warnings about oil temperature getting high and potential for engine damage. I then reverted to 75 (at one time I put it up at 90 but then went back to 75). The strange thing though is even at 75 Crew Chief is warning me about oil temperature getting high so I'm a bit confused. I don't want to put Radiator Opening at lower numbers and risk Oil Temperature getting too high and damaging engine.... while at the same time I don't want to put it at a high number albeit for better cooling but sacrificing speed (I'm not the fastest rabbit).

......So that is my conundrum....What number should I put Radiator Opening to for endurance racing (12-30 laps)?.....for dry/clear weather..... so as not to sacrifice speed but yet to be engine safe so as not to have to repair engine during pit stop.

Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone) degrees is where you want your temps after the car has run 7 to 10 laps and warm. No magic settings as it depends on car, track and outside temp. I also think you can set parameters in crew chief for when he warns you. You will also notice the engine getting damaged in the little overlay that shows your body damage. You can try different temps and see how fast your acquire engine damage.

davidt33
04-03-2018, 14:41
Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone) degrees is where you want your temps after the car has run 7 to 10 laps and warm. No magic settings as it depends on car, track and outside temp. I also think you can set parameters in crew chief for when he warns you. You will also notice the engine getting damaged in the little overlay that shows your body damage. You can try different temps and see how fast your acquire engine damage.
Have to confess I'm a bit confused when y'all mention C. When you say "Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone)" is that C or Radiator Opening numbers....or is it one and the same? And if so, if 100 (assuming it's radiator opening number) is supposed to provide more cooling how come it is mentioned "(110 is getting into danger zone)".

Thanks for all your responses. At the end of the day this will be a very good learning experience for me.

cpcdem
04-03-2018, 14:50
From my personal experience, the danger zone is just above 130C. Still, in case you are racing online in a server with damage disabled, then you can completely ignore any warnings and let the engine burn without issues :)

For qualifying, you can always turn the radiator completely off and do one timed lap, you can get away with it before the engine overheats too much (in most cars at least). For a race it depends, you can certainly not have it completely colsed for more than 4-5 laps, the engine will blow (with damage enabled). I think you just need to make some tests and see how much you afford to close it.

But a general advice: It's a nice immersion thing trying to tweak radiator opening +/- 5%, but in practice it's not worth it IMO...you may get at most 1 tenth per lap by closing the radiator another 10%, which I don't think it's worth the risk of blowing the engine. But if you can put it to 0% or 10-20% and get away with it, then this can indeed give you a considerable time per lap, around half a second I would say. It's similar with fuel, there really is no point at all removing those 4-5 extra liters and risk getting out of fuel in the last lap..

Cristi
04-03-2018, 15:02
Have to confess I'm a bit confused when y'all mention C. When you say "Marlboro said it perfect. 90-100 (110 is getting into danger zone)" is that C or Radiator Opening numbers....or is it one and the same? And if so, if 100 (assuming it's radiator opening number) is supposed to provide more cooling how come it is mentioned "(110 is getting into danger zone)".

Thanks for all your responses. At the end of the day this will be a very good learning experience for me.

They're all talking about degrees C. There is no simple relation between how open your radiator is and temperature, as it depends on car, speed, load, environmental temperature, altitude, etc. You set your radiator opening in practice so you get it as closed as possible without going over the temperature threshold. It's trial and error.