PDA

View Full Version : Telemetry HUD Explained - WIP

Y22 Rydr
28-12-2017, 23:43
I have created this post with the intent for it to grow into a complete guide for the telemetry HUD of pCars 2. Some things I do not know yet and I ask for your inputs to make this as complete as we can. Thank you for all feedback to ensure this obtains and maintains accuracy. Now onto the subject.

General information regarding the HUD can be found in the Digital Manual (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51691-PROJECT-CARS-2-DIGITAL-and-PDF-MANUAL)

This post is an attempt to take the subject deeper to provide a better understanding of the information and relate it to setup changes. The pCars 2 telemetry provides the user with instant feedback to dynamics of the car. Key information is provided through the telemetry HUD interface for the user to process to support analyzing the handling of the car. Pulling the information is a challenge which is further complicated by not being able to pause the game to allow leisure review of the data. This difficulty is offset by the use of coloring in the areas to provide a quick visual reference to the user as described below. I intend to concentrate on the individual corners of the car.

**Note: keep in mind that when you make an adjustment to one setting it will probably affect another area of the car.

OVERVIEW

Top Left - Displays your race position, total time, and best lap
Top Right - Graphical representation of g-forces.
Bottom Left - Steering input and FFB information.
Bottom Right - Brake, Clutch, Gas, current gear, speed, engine RPM, horsepower, and torque.

Vehicle Suspension / Car information (a readout for each corner of the car)

Each corner has an individual readout. The top is the location for the information. In the above example we are looking at the front right corner of the car. The information provided includes tire temperature (across the tread and visually by the color of the tire graphic), tire wear, brake temperature, tire pressure, suspension bump, suspension travel, vehicle height, and tire compound.

Tire Temperature and Tire Graphic

The temperatures provide a measurement of tire temperature across the tread of the tire. In the above example the inside edge is 158, the center is 158, and the outside edge is 159.
The graphic provides a visual indication of the tire operating temperature and wear level. Operating temperature is indicated by shades of blue (below ideal temperature), green (ideal temperature), and red (above ideal temperature). The wear level is indicated by the decreasing bar inside the tire graphic.

If the tire color flickers then you have flat-spotted the tire.

Adjustment areas:
CAMBER (More negative will increase inner edge temperature)
TOE
TIRE PRESSURE (Center hotter than edges = tire pressure too high / center colder than edges = tire pressure to low)

Brake Temperature

Numerical value of brake temperature and a graphic of the brake temperatures. The graphic will transition through the shades like the tire graphic does (blue, green, and red).

Adjustment areas:
BRAKE COOLING DUCTS (open to reduce temperature / close to increase temperature)
BRAKE PRESSURE
BRAKE BIAS

Tire Pressure

Provides the pressure readout of the tire. To obtain proper tire pressure readout ensure you have driven the car for a couple of laps (3 – 5 depending on the track) to allow the tire to reach operating temp / pressure.

Adjustment area: TIRE PRESSURE

Suspension BUMP

Numerical value of the bump stop setting made in the tuning menu.

Adjustment area: BUMP STOP

Suspension TRAVEL

Numerical value of the amount of travel in the suspension.

Adjustment areas:
SPRINGS
BUMP STOPS
ARBs
DAMPERS

(**Need more information – what should one change if it goes to zero? What does it mean when it turns red? The two events don’t seem to be directly linked. I say this because I have seen it go to 0 and remain white. At other times there is travel remaining and it flashes red)

HEIGHT

Numerical value of height of the car. If it reads 0.0 then you will need to adjust one or more of the following areas:

Adjustment area:
RIDE HEIGHT (increase it)
SPRINGS (stiffer springs)
BUMP STOP (increase)
FUEL LOAD (reduce)
DOWNFORCE (decrease)

TIRE COMPOUND

Displays tire compound.

chieflongshin
31-12-2017, 08:50
Great post. Subscribed.

Y22 Rydr
02-01-2018, 11:45
Does anyone know what is indicated by the 4 bars (can't see it in the post, noticed it in game) that are found between the shock graphic and the arc of suspension travel?

Also looking information on what is indicated when the travel and/or bump turn red (other then red=bad).

Nighttiger
15-01-2018, 22:46
(**Need more information – what should one change if it goes to zero? What does it mean when it turns red? The two events don’t seem to be directly linked. I say this because I have seen it go to 0 and remain white. At other times there is travel remaining and it flashes red)

I checked this out yesterday and did some tests. As it turns out, it flashes red when your car has bottomed out (height = 0) and came back to a non 0 height. So it has nothing to do with the suspension travel. But it only appears to flash red when the car briefly bottoms out, it doesn't go red when you bottom out all the time (high DF, low ride height for example). Here is a vid to showcase it, take a close look at the ride height on the left rear of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi2E3tPCMdQ&feature=youtu.be

Hammerpgh
17-01-2019, 13:07
Just researching this myself. So how do you prevent the red flashing on the travel indicator or is it not important to do so?

I am having this in the Lotus 38 around Daytona going through T1 and T3. T1 is not such a problem but at T3 the car loses the back-end if not really careful and I wondered whether this was part of the problem there so was looking to prevent this flashing.