PDA

View Full Version : How to not die on Eau Rouge?

MrGwafa
30-12-2017, 09:07
Hello everyone! After over 100 hr spent on career I finally ventured into the realms of multiplayer racing. I've never raced with other people, even though PC2 is not my first racing game.
I've done some online races now, and I am trying to learn from my mistakes. And this brings me to my first race - GT3 on Spa (well, obviously). I was way faster than I anticipated - qualified in 5th out of some 25 people. I take a conservative outside line through La Source, and I survive dropping one position. Then comes Eau Rouge, and suddenly my world is upside down. I rear-ended someone on the second turn of the complex - I never saw the breaking lights, so I assume it was a liftoff, only larger, and in a different place then mine.
Since it was me running into him, I guess it's my fault. But what could I have done differently? I assume if I slowed down to make more room, I would have been rear-ended. I haven't raced in Spa since, and I'm looking for tips on how to get through Eau Rouge in a crowd safely.

Balles
30-12-2017, 09:22
What I do if I'm not leading :
I liftoff a bit between La Source and Eau Rouge to make room with the car in front of me, the cars behind can easily do the same. If you liftoff or brake when in Eau Rouge, expect the worst.

hkraft300
30-12-2017, 10:18
Not a bad idea.
I prefer to ride the brakes a little in GT cars, especially when I have traffic behind me, so they can see the lights and it's obvious I'm slowing.

Through eu rouge I'll try not to go door to door. Slip in behind the car next to me (drop a position if I have to), claim some space hopefully before I enter the first left kink of eu rouge.

MrGwafa
30-12-2017, 11:37
Thanks guys, that sounds resonable. In general giving up a position in the opening lap seems to be a better idea than optimizing corner entry - at least in public lobbies.

Tank621
30-12-2017, 11:52
Thanks guys, that sounds resonable. In general giving up a position in the opening lap seems to be a better idea than optimizing corner entry - at least in public lobbies.

Yup, I spend the 1st lap or 2 of any online race simply trying to avoid having a crash, only after that do I feel comfortable enough to start pushing for position

As for Eau Rouge the only things you can do is go in single file and make sure the guy behind knows what you are doing, other than that pick a god and start praying to it

cpcdem
30-12-2017, 12:49
To add to what others said, when you finish a race that you had incident(s) in it, always save the replay of the race and review it later (after the race, or after you're done for the day). This will help you understand if you did something wrong, how you could have avoided it the incident, or if there was nothing you could do and it's completely the other guy's fault. To say that it was definitely your fault that you rear ended him is not always true, possibly he braked tested you, so it wasn't. But maybe he was just taking the corner a bit more slowly, in which case it was your fault indeed for not avoiding him/overtaking him safely. In any case, reviewing the replay will later give you all the answers and will help you avoid similar incidents in the future. I always do and this has helped me a lot!

shannam1
30-12-2017, 18:47
At Eau Rouge, you can take a lot of kerb on the left at the bottom of the hill (first entry point) without triggering a slow down penalty, which means that as long as you're not completely maxed out in 5th gear in a GT3 car, when you then turn right you will easily be able to hug the kerb on the right hand side in the middle of the ascent, or choose a different line depending what's happening behind or in front of you. I have never actually triggered a slow-down on that entry kerb, which makes me wonder if you can completely cut it, but, whatever, it's highly forgiving.

This gives you options.

Most people overcook it into the first section, so they're way over to the left, trying to hit each other. So you can watch to see if they come across your nose, or fly off to the left. If they overcook it and fly to the right, you can simply cross to the left and make a clean exit at the top. The kerbs at the top need to be respected to avoid slow downs. You can use all the kerb on the left at the crest, but don't straddle it. Go up it enough times and you'll know when you need to tighten your line to stay in boundary and when you can floor it from mid-corner. Practicing slow in fast out from the bottom, even though you're taking things easy, it's surprising how often this then gives you a clean run at Kemmel vs. people who attacked it and found that not everything worked out exactly as planned. Then you can look forward to the people who want to side-swipe you off the straight, or rear-end you into Les Combes. ;)

Daynja
30-12-2017, 23:48
Tuck in left on Eau Rouge (lift off sometimes helps) and then ride the right side kerb of Raidillon then the left kerb at the peak of Raidillon , minding your throttle so you don't go wide on the exit of Raidillon, all in about 2-3 seconds.

Before you know it it will become second nature to you

hkraft300
30-12-2017, 23:51
Easy said on your lonesome.

The problem of eu rouge+ radillion is getting through it in traffic.

Have done it 2 wide, door to door once or twice. Sphincter puckered the the whole way up.

Daynja
30-12-2017, 23:53
Easy said on your lonesome.

The problem of eu rouge+ radillion is getting through it in traffic.

Have done it 2 wide, door to door once or twice. Sphincter puckered the the whole way up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNUvBHKciYQ

hkraft300
30-12-2017, 23:57
Wasn’t that one of the greatest passes ever!

Couldn’t do it in public mp, cutting across the way Webber did. Someone in Alonso’s place wouldn’t concede the position, crash, and then say “he turned in to me”. That would end both their races. It’s why I say concede and claim a spot, to avoid the situation where you have to or someone else has to cut across and potentially make contact.

Irl if Webber and Alonso made contact there, at that speed, they could both die.

Daynja
30-12-2017, 23:59
Wasn’t that one of the greatest passes ever!

One of the best era F1 cars too