PDA

View Full Version : First online race- Formula Rookie Knockhill. Wow :)

Keena
02-01-2018, 16:45
Just hosted and took part in my first online race, as title says a formula rookie at Knockhill. Weather real so obviously absolutely sheeting it down. I'd just like to thank all who took part for making it such a fun, competitive and clean first online experience for me. Thoroughly enjoyed it and am now drenched in sweat after concentrating for 20 rain sodden laps. I shall be hosting many more from now on, formula rookie and ginetta, so all welcome. My gamertag is Sunscreen so keep an eye out, especially people who are new to online racing like myself. Its a very different experience and you don't have to be particularly good to have an absolute blast, as I demonstrated. Again, thanks all for such a great first experience.

ScoobyDave
02-01-2018, 17:19
Glad you enjoyed it mate. It's a really fun game and you will get better with practice.
I wish there were more people like you who enjoy the driving experience and don't want to just wreck all the time.

iggy
02-01-2018, 17:26
I haven't done a Formula Rookie race yet online... I did do one G40 race when I first started, it was quite fun. Seems online many or most are running cars with a bit more power, but then I haven't actively sought out a low power race yet either.

For sure online is loads of fun. I wasn't too interested in it really, I suppose maybe I didn't want to embarrass myself, but also didn't want to accidentally wreck someone ( which in itself would be embarrassing ). However, after giving it a try, I'm very glad I did get started doing it. It's a lot more fun than racing against AI drivers, or just running by myself around lonely tracks on my PS4. Near as I can tell on Playstation Network... at least 90% of people are good intentions and don't really try to wreck others. I would estimate there are probably more people who just lack driving skills, than there are people who intentionally cause wrecks. I can honestly say I've only ran across maybe 1 person who I felt was intentionally wrecking people. Maybe every 10th race I get someone playing who clearly doesn't have enough car control to be able to stay out of people's way, but I'd say at least half those times, the person actually exits before the race is finished, presumably because they realized they were in over their heads. I do get a few folks who are just a bit more confident in themselves than they should be, they might race me really hard, car weaving and such, get on a straight and just go full speed to the next corner, etc... These last folks are almost as bad as the ones who might intentionally wreck people... but I chalk it all up to enthusiasm and just mostly let it pass ( and let them pass, usually to see them spun out a few corners down the track ).

Anyway, I agree completely that Wow... is what it's all about.

Keena
02-01-2018, 17:43
Yeah it was very enjoyable :) It was hugely immersive running through 3 sessions too. I can definitely recommend these low power cars. I've been racing AI at 110% for a while so was really curious too to see how much pace that translates into online. I actually found it much more important to drive within my limits, keep good situational awareness and not get too excited. Consistency and not raw speed gave me my first victory, and boy did it feel well earned because there was a guy in the race who was seriously quick, much faster than me. I really do urge those who are thinking of giving it a go but are a bit unsure to drop in and give it a go with these cars, or ginetta juniors. It's not about being quick but about developing race craft. As a guy who was quite reluctant and who anticipated a ramming fest, I was completely surprised and pleased by the reality. I'm sure there will be idiots out there, but a few minutes in the garage watching the monitor is great intel for avoiding them. Thanks all and see you at the track :)

SchluckeWOT
02-01-2018, 18:13
A good Formula Rookie online season sounds like a blast. I need to buck up and take my first shot at an online race soon; feels like I'm missing out on over half the game right now. I'm suffering from "I don't want to ruin someone else's race" syndrome lol

Sum Dixon-Ear
02-01-2018, 18:22
A good Formula Rookie online season sounds like a blast. I need to buck up and take my first shot at an online race soon; feels like I'm missing out on over half the game right now. I'm suffering from "I don't want to ruin someone else's race" syndrome lol

Everyone is apprehensive to start with.. once you jump in and experience the thrills of real online racing you'll never look back.

The.
Best.
Thing.
Ever.

Keena
02-01-2018, 18:38

I'm going to do another race tomorrow with the rookie at either Oulton Park or Donnington, so feel free to jump in. I'll stick a time on here once I've figured one out, afternoon or evening UK time probably. Don't worry about ruining a race. Even if there's an accident I'm sure they'll be good take away lessons for everyone and I for one won't mind because it won't cost us a penny! I'm learning too!

ScoobyDave
02-01-2018, 19:47
Would join you if I wasn't on ps4...have fun!

SchluckeWOT
02-01-2018, 19:49
@Keena If all the planets aligned, definitely, but it looks like the time difference would just be too great for me to make it in time (it's 12:49 here in the states vs 8:49 there and I've still got 3 hours of work to go).

Still, I think I'm gonna try and look around for a lobby tonight and let it hang, you've made me jealous of all the good racing :chuncky:

Purg
02-01-2018, 23:35
Rookie and the first two Ginetta cars are a blast around Knockhill. Oulton Park is also a good track with changeable weather (when real weather is working..) for those cars, too.

Keena
03-01-2018, 07:34
Rookie and the first two Ginetta cars are a blast around Knockhill. Oulton Park is also a good track with changeable weather (when real weather is working..) for those cars, too.

Definately. These low power cars punish you on those circuits that have tricky high speed corners into straights. Get it wrong and you lose seconds in your lap time. It's a great challenge and a great schooling in energy management.

Zaskarspants
03-01-2018, 11:48
I might join if I feel brave.

cpcdem
03-01-2018, 15:59
Just to add a bit more, I think everyone at first we have been reluctant to go online, afraid of ruining others' race, being slow and what not. Don't worry, try as much as possible to be clean and have respect, say(write) "sorry" if you mess up and give the position back if you unintentionally ram someone and people will understand that it's inevitable for accidents to happen. Ignore those who don't. Online racing is such an amazing continuous adrenaline rush experience, big shame that so many people are not experiencing it. As someone else said, there's no going back :)

Sum Dixon-Ear
03-01-2018, 16:16
I might join if I feel brave.

Just do it, you'll be surprised at how well you do... after you get over sweating like a man walking to the gallows while waiting on the grid... and the first few laps after that... well the entirety of your first few races really... lol.

There is nothing like it... the adrenaline, the concentration, the skills that you learn to suck other drivers into the move that you want to make to pass them etc etc.

Racing against the AI is but a game... racing against skilled, respectful human drivers is what turns it into a sim.

Zaskarspants
03-01-2018, 16:21
^^^^
I will be there soon. I got a cold today so cried off. I do recall the excitement from other games I played online, toca2, grid, then I went into a rally only stage, dirt3, dirt rally, dirt4. I found pcars1 a bit fiddly but pcars2 has got me back into circuit racing and exposed the weaknesses of those rally titles.

FlakNine
03-01-2018, 16:30
I'm going to do another race tomorrow with the rookie at either Oulton Park or Donnington, so feel free to jump in. I'll stick a time on here once I've figured one out, afternoon or evening UK time probably. Don't worry about ruining a race. Even if there's an accident I'm sure they'll be good take away lessons for everyone and I for one won't mind because it won't cost us a penny! I'm learning too!

Any idea when you'll start the race? I'm up joining if it's this evening from around 7:30pm onwards. I'll likely be at the back of the grid but will certainly be trying to keep things clean! :)

Keena
03-01-2018, 16:45
Yeah might do one about then :) I did something foolish and fired up witcher 3 so that took care of my afternoon. ;) Keep an eye out, join and have fun :) Trust me I'll be just as worried as you.

Keena
03-01-2018, 20:08
2nd Online race and just as brilliant as the first. Thanks to you guys who showed up and raced so competitively and cleanly. I was aware a couple of times of some very considerate driving but I owe a big apology to whoever was in 3rd on the grid- I managed to stall and just got it started as the lights went green so it led to a bit of bunching at turn 1. I tried to leave loads of room but slid as well so hopefully that didn't compromise anyone elses race. I'm sorry if it did and that was my takeaway learning point for today. So that's Knockhill and Oulton Park ticked off, Donnington tomorrow. I'll post a time but more than likely a similar time :)

As requested a copy of the setup I used, unaltered, from the race today. It may not work for you and if so let me know and Ill post my force feedback settings as well. I'm on the G920 with thrustmaster gearshift in H config, so I'm heel and toeing it which might explain the over reving or bogging you hear as I'm close to you ;)

Thanks again guys. So far I am absolutely loving this introduction to online, and that is all down to you guys who bring such a great attitude to the track :) I stalled on the grid- the challenge is to beat that for a moronic move :)

Standby- in edit mode

OK- Ive decided to not make it easy so if you want to read these I suggest you turn your monitor upside down ;)

leaky
03-01-2018, 21:10
Hey Keena, you know you can just take a screenshot of your setup. (windows key + PrtSc) Should be saved in your screenshot folder within Pictures. Much quicker to do xd.

Keena
03-01-2018, 21:55
Now that would be a much better idea.. showing my age ;)

FlakNine
04-01-2018, 07:43
Thanks Keena - it was a good introduction to Formula Rookie cars for me! Despite my race being fairly quiet in the midfield it gave me a chance to get a feel for these fun little cars. I'll give your setup a try as I found the Loose setup was unstable through the higher speed corners like Druids - I was having to tread carefully through there to have any kind of consistency in the race. I think I can take a reasonable chunk of time out my race laptimes with a more stable setup.

Looking forward to Donnington tonight :)

Keena
04-01-2018, 20:09
Hey all, my last post on this thread and then it can go gather dust in the rear annals of this forum. Donnington was hopefully fun for most. I know I had a superb fight with positions 1,2 and 3 until the closing laps. Again not the fastest by a long stretch so I don't know how that all worked out. Some really good wheel to wheel stuff and I spent what felt like a good couple of laps literally parked on someones gearbox. Great driving! FYI I had a slow down from the race director because I slid wide at turn 1. I did my very best to keep out of everyones way while I found myself to the back of the pack, I don't think I hit anyone so hopefully that wont happen again.

Important note for moving forward- Ive changed the difficulty settings so from now on, tyre wear, authentic assists, a cockpit view etc will all greet you if you join tomorrow. It'll be another UK track, probably Snetterton as that will keep everyone honest ;) Don't let it put you off though. Its designed to add to the immersion! Not everything is off or harder!

I might start a Discord channel while I find my feet with this multiplayer lark so we can chat while racing- socially while in the pits then for race related stuff once the business begins :) Ill keep everyone posted here somewhere- probably the multiplayer section of the forums which I only just noticed earlier today!

So that's it here. Thanks all for making my introduction to online so much fun. Truly sorry if I stuffed anyones race with my seeming consistent inability to get off the line and through turn 1 without at least a minor hiccup. Perhaps less driving through my mirrors...

Take care all, and thanks SMS for bringing this all to life :)

PS, (Imagine Patrick Head voice) I spent a lot of time in the pits on the monitor and through so doing see quite a bit. One chap today persisted in driving into the side of others deliberately, there was no doubt of this, so he was fired and told to walk home. People of this type will not be tolerated, said in the nicest possible way. Just a gentle reminder. Ineptitude I have no problem with- its how we learn. Deliberate sabotage of someone elses evening I do. Take care all and drive safe.

cpcdem
04-01-2018, 20:58
PS, I spent a lot of time in the pits on the monitor and through so doing see quite a bit. One chap today persisted in driving into the side of others deliberately, there was no doubt of this, so he was fired and told to walk home. People of this type will not be tolerated, said in the nicest possible way. Just a gentle reminder. Ineptitude I have no problem with- its how we learn. Deliberate sabotage of someone elses evening I do. Take care all and drive safe.

Yeah, there are a few trolls around who only care about messing with people and ruining their races, just for having fun with us. Lobbies like yours with someone overviewing the action and kicking those trolls are the dream lobbies to race on! :)

FlakNine
05-01-2018, 08:02
Thanks for running this race Keena, it was good to have some mostly clean drivers out on track and I managed to build my pace over the race, chipping away at those lap times as I got a better feel for the car and your settings (thanks!). I made a couple of dumb mistakes which cost me a bunch of time (ran wide into the gravel allowing a faster car to pass!) and was on the wrong end of some careless driving from others in both quali and the race, but all in all it was great! I'm looking forward to doing it again soon and I just created a Discord account - I'll keep an eye out for posts in the Multiplayer sub-forum :D

Keena
05-01-2018, 10:24
Morning Mods,
Any chance you could possibly merge/move this thread with the one Ive just started in the multiplayer forum (link below)? I started it here to grab peoples attention who probably don't look in the multiplayer bit but I guess that element is done now.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59789-Keena-s-Formula-Rookie-new-online-driver-thread

Many thanks and have a good day.