PDA

View Full Version : Exxagerated Speedometer Possible?

Urban Chaos 2.0
02-01-2018, 20:17
Project Cars 2 displays the vehicles true speeds, and I suppose that's good. But would it be possible to include the option to exaggerate the speedometer values, as they are in real life? Some cars have about a 10% to 15% variance in accuracy at speeds above a certain value. I know it might sound like a small, and somewhat stupid thing to some, but it's those little things that add to the immersion.

chieflongshin
02-01-2018, 20:38
Im not sure this will get many responses....:abnormal:

Keena
02-01-2018, 20:42
The car I like driving just has a rev counter.. you're spoilt if you have a Speedo. It's got another dial that tells me the water temp, and another one which I don't know what it's telling me. I don't even have a fuel gauge..

Herege
02-01-2018, 20:55
IMO, this does not make any sense in a game that its content is racing, competition, and where you want everything to be as sure as possible to the thousandth of a second.

In reality, and in normal cars, this exists for reasons of safety, prevention (speed cameras) or even that manufacturers want to manufacture their equipment in china and are not concerned with precision. In the present times the vast majority of cars already have digital true speed info and even knowing information through satellites, due to the need to be as accurate as possible. And even if there is such a deviance in the odometer, they can vary from car to car, manufacturer to manufacturer. It would be difficult to replicate accurately, even mistakes. So, if if it is to know the true speed, you are supposed to inform us of the true speed, otherwise, for example, we are all penalized at the exit of the PIT ;)

MaXyM
02-01-2018, 22:30
It also depends on a wheel circumference. Homologation ussually allows tires differ as of about 3.5%max of this value. Then we should take into account a wear which is adds additional a few percent. and a preassure.

car manufacturers have to ensure a speedometer doesn't show less than actual speed (for homologated tires)
In my car I can select circumference from list of predefined values. I can select one to result speed value on speedo equal to speed meassured by gps.

What I want to say, it's true that ussually road cars speedo shows lower values than real ones. But difference beatween those speeds might vary from 0 to more than 10% depending on several things.

Ossnott
04-01-2018, 02:29
The car I like driving just has a rev counter.. you're spoilt if you have a Speedo. It's got another dial that tells me the water temp, and another one which I don't know what it's telling me. I don't even have a fuel gauge..

+1
All you need is a rev counter! I never watch the speedometers when racing, not even in the cars that have them.
Thinking about it, I can't actually tell you for sure which ones I have driven that have them and which don't.. .:confused::)