PDA

View Full Version : An S guy, that wins the same way as de F drivers

pferreirag60
03-01-2018, 18:56
Online, 4 guys, didnīt had time to qualify, 5 minutes to the end. So i was last. enter the race, at the first turn i was second. So during 6 laps, it was a fantastic race with the third guy an Ac Piston, something.

In the last lap, in the fourth curve ( Portimão), he tries to pass me in the braking, i think, well , he just crashed at my cars rear, 2 times, just to pass me.... And, he didnīt let me record the race, in the end! ;)

After that in the lobby, he writes: drive safely, be careful :)

So Iīm just pissed, it was really a very good battle, but the attitude of that guy pissed me, win at all costs!

Brainbug
03-01-2018, 19:02
Oh man. I know your feelings but hey, so what. ;)

You will find many drivers with this attitude winning at all costs. Time will show where such drivers will end up, if you know what i mean. Give the letter-system some time.

For the good side, i had also many great fair races online. This are the moments we race for and go with a smile to bed.

Balles
03-01-2018, 19:28
Lesson 1 : S do not mean Smart.
Lesson 2 : even in real life pro pilotes can do stupid moves to win.
Lesson 3 : you will post a lot if you you post after each problem like that, forget it and enjoy another race.

Gysepy
03-01-2018, 19:32
Unfortunate to hear, but its to become expected in the safety ratings current form. I just wonder if the player is under the impression that he/she must win because they are S and cannot lose because that means lower safety rating. Its coming to the stage now i feel more of this will become the norm, as players obsess even more about that letter rather than just enjoying the race and racing the race you are in rather than having to win at all costs.

cpcdem
03-01-2018, 19:36
Did you keep the replay of the race? Always do that and review it when you have an incident, to be absolutely sure that the other guy played dirty. Because it is also possible that you also made a mistake without realizing, for example blocking him or changing line very abruptly. I have called people "idiots" a couple of times during races, only to find out later after watching the replay that I was the idiot after all, had done something I had not realized at all while racing. Then I had to swallow my pride and go back to their lobby to humbly apologize.

Not saying this is what happened in your case, but unless you've watched the replay (or it was a very obvious ramming for the sake of ramming move), you can never be 100% sure.

rich1e I
04-01-2018, 00:06
Unfortunate to hear, but its to become expected in the safety ratings current form. I just wonder if the player is under the impression that he/she must win because they are S and cannot lose because that means lower safety rating. Its coming to the stage now i feel more of this will become the norm, as players obsess even more about that letter rather than just enjoying the race and racing the race you are in rather than having to win at all costs.

A win doesn't affect your safety rank but the number. The letter and the number are two different ranks. It's as cpcdem said. You need to watch the replay to see what actually happened.

iggy
04-01-2018, 17:27
Did you keep the replay of the race? Always do that and review it when you have an incident, to be absolutely sure that the other guy played dirty. Because it is also possible that you also made a mistake without realizing, for example blocking him or changing line very abruptly. I have called people "idiots" a couple of times during races, only to find out later after watching the replay that I was the idiot after all, had done something I had not realized at all while racing. Then I had to swallow my pride and go back to their lobby to humbly apologize.

Not saying this is what happened in your case, but unless you've watched the replay (or it was a very obvious ramming for the sake of ramming move), you can never be 100% sure.

I have resembled those remarks... I've been in a few races, where I was certain I got slammed needlessly by some over enthusiastic driver... then when I went back and looked, I realized that the person that hit me, had almost no way to avoid me at that time. I've seen this in replay at least twice now, and since then, I've been a little less angry when it happens...

Not to say there aren't some guys out there that shouldn't be a bit more careful ( myself included sometimes I would say )... Either way, I'd be much more tolerant of a incident near the end of a race, than one at the beginning of a race.

METAL666NZ
04-01-2018, 23:17
I have had a few issues like this by relying on the virtual mirror, which is really out of whack with where cars are and how close.

321Respawn
04-01-2018, 23:39
How exactly is the " letter system " working? At any time of the day I only see U and an odd F lobby or Off. Once in a blue moon there might be a D lobby with one poor sole hoping for more players.
I got up to A rank and once again I entered yet another U lobby as there was no other option. As usual I made sure to qualify as far to the back as possible to avoid the inevitable T1 mess.
Unfortunately a bunch of them were slow off the line and I ended up six cars ahead of my starting position by T1. The inevitable happened and one or more of the guys I passed crashed into me which of course sent me flying into other cars.
At the time I was pissed but got on with the race and at the end found my rating was bumped back down to B. It was at that moment I realized that it actually doesn't matter, you see the whole time I was worried about getting my safety rating up so I could enter those
lovely professional and safe races because I didn't want to be stuck in low rank lobbies full of idiots. Now I realize it doesn't matter because there are only U lobbies being hosted so you may as well bump and grind your way to first place because the number rating is the only one that matters.

Brainbug
05-01-2018, 00:00
Remember, about that there are only F or U lobbies, well, thats who it is right now maybe.
I still think time will chance and are very happy that we have this safty rating system.

321Respawn
05-01-2018, 00:03
I hope so but if it was going to change you would see at least a few C lobbies creeping in but there aren't. It's not like there is a shortage of players ranked above C or anything.

FxUK
05-01-2018, 11:52
How exactly is the " letter system " working? At any time of the day I only see U and an odd F lobby or Off. Once in a blue moon there might be a D lobby with one poor sole hoping for more players.
I got up to A rank and once again I entered yet another U lobby as there was no other option. As usual I made sure to qualify as far to the back as possible to avoid the inevitable T1 mess.
Unfortunately a bunch of them were slow off the line and I ended up six cars ahead of my starting position by T1. The inevitable happened and one or more of the guys I passed crashed into me which of course sent me flying into other cars.
At the time I was pissed but got on with the race and at the end found my rating was bumped back down to B. It was at that moment I realized that it actually doesn't matter, you see the whole time I was worried about getting my safety rating up so I could enter those
lovely professional and safe races because I didn't want to be stuck in low rank lobbies full of idiots. Now I realize it doesn't matter because there are only U lobbies being hosted so you may as well bump and grind your way to first place because the number rating is the only one that matters.

This is a problem. You start a lobby with a safety rating > F and nobody joins, or if you are really lucky, you might get 1 or 2 others. Start one with S and you are forever alone.

Also, according to the skill ratings, it takes more skill to ram your way into first place than it does to drive safe and come say 3rd or 4th. Go figure.

Currently, my skill is up and down like a yo-yo, taking 4 or 5 clean / good races to slightly rise, then 1 terrible start (T1 shenanigans) and its back down again, requiring another 4 or 5 good races... or it free falls for a while until you find a good lobby.

Due to this, I'm trying to ignore my skill rating, although admittedly, I do get peeved when lap 1 of a 10 lap race is ruined by an idiot or three who just want to "win" on turn one, it makes me lose the will to continue in that lobby (its a waste of time) and sometimes, even lose the will to even start the game at all (recently) after 15/20 mins of qualifying... and then seeing my skill rating drop through the floor through no fault of my own.

Unlike safety rating (for me at least), skill seems to be 1 step forward (x 6 races), 10 steps back (x1 race), rinse repeat.
I think the skill starting at 1500 is causing very skewed results, unlike safety, which everybody has to earn, skill is assumed from the start.

It's funny that a lot of decent players (I know, not all) are rated say 1300 - 1450's whereas the rammers and idiots can be rated higher and if they are not, they can just reset their profile to be U1500 again. i.e Create a lobby with a requirement of 1500 and you leave out a lot of good racers, but allow in the rammers, mind you my skill is currently in the 1400's so I couldn't even do that if I wanted to.

Also, I think the deduction of skill for retiring / leaving a race are way too harsh, retiring and not quitting especially.

Don't mind me though, I'm just venting a little...

rich1e I
05-01-2018, 12:56

Exactly my thoughts. SMS gave us a brilliant feature, an incentive to race clean to get a good safety rank and enter clean lobbies, but most people somehow are not contributing to make this idea work, for whatever reason. It's a real shame. I'd like to start a poll to see what the actual problem is, but I'm not sure how to reach all those people. I think it's safe to say that the idea of the safety rank has failed so far, or let's say, people are blocking the idea to work out properly. Really frustrating. I do not understand!

cpcdem
05-01-2018, 16:43
As many have said, in order for the system to work, we need to make use of the tool we have and create more/race in highly ranked servers. I admit I usually don't do that, if there are just 1-2 people in a A/B/C server, but 15-20 people in several U/F servers, I'll almost always pick a U/F with settings I like, rather than wait for I don't know how long for the high rank server to build up.

I think we need some extra incentives to populate those servers. How about ALWAYS displaying high safety rank servers first in the servers' list? I usually just sort by players, so if there are servers with 1-2 players, most of the time I am not even seeing them.

Also why do the lobbies from the RWB guys always get populated, no matter if they have a high safety ranking limit? Is it just because people know them and can be certain that by joining them, they will have clean races? Or do they also send invites when creating a server, so people know it the time it is created? Would like to hear some pointers from the guys, might give some advice on how to make more community driver servers successful.

Balles
06-01-2018, 08:15
Exactly my thoughts. SMS gave us a brilliant feature, an incentive to race clean to get a good safety rank and enter clean lobbies, but most people somehow are not contributing to make this idea work, for whatever reason. It's a real shame. I'd like to start a poll to see what the actual problem is, but I'm not sure how to reach all those people. I think it's safe to say that the idea of the safety rank has failed so far, or let's say, people are blocking the idea to work out properly. Really frustrating. I do not understand!

The issue is the small online user base. There is not enough players to fill a lobby (let say S,A,B,C,D) on a given car/track combo at a given time of the day.
Everyone creating a lobby wants to play with at least 5 to 10 players, not wait 20min to play with 2-3 players.
The system needs at least 3-4 times the average number of players per day (about 1100 nowadays http://steamcharts.com/app/378860) to be efficient IMO.

Keena
06-01-2018, 08:24

On that note as someone fairly new to online, I'm guessing giving people a minute or so after the race to save would be good instead of going straight back to lobby? Think I might be guilty of this in the 3 races I've hosted so far..

cpcdem
06-01-2018, 12:23
On that note as someone fairly new to online, I'm guessing giving people a minute or so after the race to save would be good instead of going straight back to lobby? Think I might be guilty of this in the 3 races I've hosted so far..

Ah, it's the host's choice how much time we have to press that "Save replay" button? Was about to report it as a bug, that sometimes there's plenty of time to do it, but some other times you have to do it within 0.5 sec, or it vanishes :)

Yes, please allow some time for this, yesterday I missed 2 replays I wanted to save because of this. Even better, I think SMS should put a mandatory at least 2-3 second delay there, before moving to the main lobby screen.

Keena
06-01-2018, 12:59
Ah, it's the host's choice how much time we have to press that "Save replay" button? Was about to report it as a bug, that sometimes there's plenty of time to do it, but some other times you have to do it within 0.5 sec, or it vanishes :)

Yes, please allow some time for this, yesterday I missed 2 replays I wanted to save because of this. Even better, I think SMS should put a mandatory at least 2-3 second delay there, before moving to the main lobby screen.

Will do. Sorry about that- It was definitely one of those press the button then go Ahh moments..

rich1e I
06-01-2018, 14:29
The issue is the small online user base. There is not enough players to fill a lobby (let say S,A,B,C,D) on a given car/track combo at a given time of the day.
Everyone creating a lobby wants to play with at least 5 to 10 players, not wait 20min to play with 2-3 players.
The system needs at least 3-4 times the average number of players per day (about 1100 nowadays http://steamcharts.com/app/378860) to be efficient IMO.

I don't think that's the issue. Sometimes I join U lobbies to see what SR people have and often these lobbies are started by high SR players and the lobby is actually full of higher ranked players. This is undermining the idea behind the SR. There's no need to drive clean and get a high SR, as someone already said, everyone can join any lobby.

poirqc
06-01-2018, 15:11
As many have said, in order for the system to work, we need to make use of the tool we have and create more/race in highly ranked servers. I admit I usually don't do that, if there are just 1-2 people in a A/B/C server, but 15-20 people in several U/F servers, I'll almost always pick a U/F with settings I like, rather than wait for I don't know how long for the high rank server to build up.

I think we need some extra incentives to populate those servers. How about ALWAYS displaying high safety rank servers first in the servers' list? I usually just sort by players, so if there are servers with 1-2 players, most of the time I am not even seeing them.

Also why do the lobbies from the RWB guys always get populated, no matter if they have a high safety ranking limit? Is it just because people know them and can be certain that by joining them, they will have clean races? Or do they also send invites when creating a server, so people know it the time it is created? Would like to hear some pointers from the guys, might give some advice on how to make more community driver servers successful.

It's a big group and they monitor their server. The disturbance gets removed quickly so people know the race will be good.

cpcdem
06-01-2018, 15:28
I don't think that's the issue. Sometimes I join U lobbies to see what SR people have and often these lobbies are started by high SR players and the lobby is actually full of higher ranked players. This is undermining the the idea behind the SR. There's no need to drive clean and get a high SR, as someone already said, everyone can join any lobby.

I agree, at the PC there are usually more than 200 players online and many of them are distributed in 1-2 car only servers...we need some (much!) better coordination.

Keena
06-01-2018, 16:15
I agree, at the PC there are usually more than 200 players online and many of them are distributed in 1-2 car only servers...we need some (much!) better coordination.

I've only hosted 5 races so far but each one has been set to 15 slots and has been full each time. I think it might be because I set the licence requirement to U1500 and did tier 4 cars which no one else does. There are plenty of people out there that are up for a race that isn't GT3 I reckon. Certainly I'm seeing lots of new licences in the lobby.