PDA

View Full Version : Keena's Formula Rookie new online driver thread

Keena
05-01-2018, 10:19
Hey all, as promised.

Tonight (if I'm feeling well enough-fighting off a cold), either Snetterton or Brands Hatch (short versions) or if someone particularly wants a particular UK track just shout for it.. 15 laps seems to work a bit better than 20. Weather will be hazy or overcast with no suprises. Fuel, tyre degradation, manual pit lane etc all on, authentic assists. Don't worry about any of that though, its more for immersion. The reason Ive thought of Brands Hatch and Snetterton is that they both have tricky corners which punish overly aggressive driving- a good learning point ;) Smooth on these circuits really does equal quick. Bear in mind the Formula Rookie is prone to balance changes with large throttle movements mid corner, which can be a help or a hindrance depending on your point of view.

If youre not very good don't worry about it. The idea is to rock up and get better, by looking at other peoples telemetry as they drive around during practice, their driving line, their driving style, where they push etc etc. Most importantly, its a developing skill to maintain and build situational awareness using mirrors etc. I read it elsewhere on this forum and it rings true- to finish first you first must finish.

Anyone got any other UK suggestions or requests drop them below. If I set up Discord during the day I'll post the link below too. I'm wary of all this becoming too much like work though so if it doesn't happen its because I'm wanting to keep it casual :)

Take care and hopefully see you later, around 1930 UK. Remember it will be under the Sunscreen banner.

Madhun67
05-01-2018, 10:42
online virgin here.................ill keep an eye out on this thread as i would love to join up one evening,central US time here, but with enough notice the weekends are doable for me:)

Keena
05-01-2018, 20:55
Superb race at Brands Hatch as evidenced by less than 1 second separating the top three after 15 laps. A full grid of 15 again of Formula Rookie. I need to learn how to defend better though as I let P3 through a little too easily. Some excellent situational awareness and consideration by lapped drivers. Really happy with that element.
Takeaway learning point- it would be great if drivers when going for the inside left sufficient grip to avoid sliding wide. That way there could be some mega battles. ;)

Tomorrow damage will be on, just performance impacting. Hopefully that will help the aggression levels.

I'll pop a password on here tomorrow too. Keep an eye out.

Thanks all. Had a blast again :)

Keena
08-01-2018, 14:15
Update- sorry no races for a few days for the guys keen to try online for the first time or guys in lower tier cars. Blame flu. Keep an eye out as of tomorrow. :)

Zaskarspants
08-01-2018, 16:43
I got a daft question probably...

I prefer to use zero assists, am i right to presume that in race with assists on that I will not be forced to use them on my own car?

Keena
08-01-2018, 18:11
I got a daft question probably...

I prefer to use zero assists, am i right to presume that in race with assists on that I will not be forced to use them on my own car?

That's a good question. Short answer is I don't know. I guess for TC and ABS it's a simple turn off in the car settings, but stability control I have no idea. It certainly takes a bit of getting used to and I'm nowhere near that yet ;)

FlakNine
09-01-2018, 18:47
Keeping an eye out for you online tonight... In the mean time I've started a FR race at Snetterton in case anyone wants to join.

Keena
09-01-2018, 21:11
Keeping an eye out for you online tonight... In the mean time I've started a FR race at Snetterton in case anyone wants to join.

Hey dude, I'm still getting over the flu. In typical male fashion I think I'm lucky to be alive while my wife just wants me to die quietly. Intend to be in tomorrow at usual time though as on the mend finally. Let me know how Snetterton goes. :) I'm on holiday for another week so plenty of fun to be had.

FlakNine
09-01-2018, 21:38
Hey dude, I'm still getting over the flu. In typical male fashion I think I'm lucky to be alive while my wife just wants me to die quietly. Intend to be in tomorrow at usual time though as on the mend finally. Let me know how Snetterton goes. :) I'm on holiday for another week so plenty of fun to be had.

Snetterton 200... I wasn't sure how it was going to pan out since only two others joined late in qualifying. BUT, as luck would have it all three of us were running at a very similar pace (I think around 1:20 - 1:21) and we had a really tight and clean three-way race for the first 8 of 15 laps. Unfortunately the driver in front of me ran wide out of Riches (turn 1) and span, and I couldn't avoid getting tangled up in the carnage; both of us got wiped out but got back on track together and continued at very similar speeds - gradually clawing back some time on the leader. All good fun although I admit to pushing too hard on the last lap and paying the penalty - I carried too much speed under the bridge at Brundle and spun while braking for Nelson, meaning I limped over the line some time after the other two after all that closely matched racing!

Snetterton is an interesting circuit with a couple of challenging sections where it's necessary to brake through some high speed turns (Brundle > Nelson and Coram > Murrays).

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow Keena!

Mad Al
09-01-2018, 22:04
Snetterton 200... I wasn't sure how it was going to pan out since only two others joined late in qualifying. BUT, as luck would have it all three of us were running at a very similar pace (I think around 1:20 - 1:21) and we had a really tight and clean three-way race for the first 8 of 15 laps. Unfortunately the driver in front of me ran wide out of Riches (turn 1) and span, and I couldn't avoid getting tangled up in the carnage; both of us got wiped out but got back on track together and continued at very similar speeds - gradually clawing back some time on the leader. All good fun although I admit to pushing too hard on the last lap and paying the penalty - I carried too much speed under the bridge at Brundle and spun while braking for Nelson, meaning I limped over the line some time after the other two after all that closely matched racing!

Snetterton is an interesting circuit with a couple of challenging sections where it's necessary to brake through some high speed turns (Brundle > Nelson and Coram > Murrays).

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow Keena!

was a good race...

you should have hung around for 15 laps of Imola in the Caterham 620.. my poor old thumbs!

Keena
09-01-2018, 22:20
Yeah it's a great track for an online race. I'll be there tomorrow :)

Keena
12-01-2018, 13:06
Last race in the Formula Rookie (Ford) tonight then its time for the Ginetta Juniors :) Probably be a rerun of the Redbullring that is in the career mode, probably 20 laps with possibly a mandatory pit stop. Take note of where your pitbox is and map a speed limit button ;)

Just did a race at Redbullring. If people take care with damage on, theres some great racing to be had. I'm prone to making occasional quite frankly heroic mistakes like driving into the back of someone because I couldn't decide whether to go left or right (yup really), but turning in to the Apex when you know theres someone there is just going to wreck both your races. This is what happened to me at least once, and its a bit frustrating, so keep checking mirrors, if in doubt let the guy through- your licence rating wont suffer and you'll 99% of the time see the fella spin off gracefully a couple of corners down the road anyway.

I'd like to thank all those that do turn up and make that effort to race clean. Its noticed and appreciated, and its guys like you that make this online lark such a pleasure. Full grids so far, it'd be great to keep it that way :)

Keena
13-01-2018, 20:04
Another great ginetta juniors outing at Donnington, full grid which is awesome. Some epic battles and with damage on, being able to sit and fight with someone lap after lap shows the respect being shown. Really hard fought but very fair. Excellent to see :) I'm just going to keep on running these races under my Sunscreen tag as long as I'm on leave, as long as I'm able with commitments, at the same time every night (1930 GMT). Everyone welcome. I'll keep the licence at U0100 because I have yet to see a dolt (I tell a lie but only one or two and they get warned then fired).

If anyone has any circuit requests stick them here. We'll stay with ginetta junior for a week or so then move on, trying to keep it on a sensible learning trajectory.

Night night all.

Keena
14-01-2018, 12:01
If anyone was online with me just now, apologies. Real life issues. That'll teach me for trying to grab an hour during the day..

FlakNine
15-01-2018, 14:56
Will hopefully be online tonight and will look out for you around 1930. I'm looking forward to the Ginetta Juniors for a change - as much as I loved the handling of the FR open-wheelers it was hard to come back from any contact in the race. Hopefully the Ginettas will be a little more robust and less prone to getting tangled up.

Keena
15-01-2018, 16:26
Yeah there's none of that getting axles tangled then going for a fly business.. I try and avoid any contact because of the licence issue but a gentle caress isn't quite so brutal compared to those formula rookie; )

Keena
15-01-2018, 19:52
Hey all. Well two out of three races today got to the end of qualifying screen and froze up so I have no idea whats going on there. Until it becomes a little more reliable I think I'm going to give it all a break because its just embarrassing and people will end up avoiding lobbies when they see a particular name. Same with single player as that still has a few slow off the line/ wet tyres not overheating in the dry issues too. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped make my transition to online so much fun. Hopefully see you all soon :) Enjoy

cpcdem
15-01-2018, 19:59
Don't worry about that at all, people are used to those multiplayer problems, so they will definitely not blame/associate you with this! :)

But you could instead give more information to the devs about this problem, so they can fix it. So far we had assumed that the problem is related to the host leaving the session, causing such issues. But in this case I guess it was you the host and obviously did not leave, is that right? I think any kind of information you can give them about the 2 cases when the problem happened could help them, like for example did many people quit after the qualify? Or some settings you had different than before? That sort of thing..

FlakNine
15-01-2018, 20:10
Yeah don't worry, clearly wasn't your fault! I was in one of those races and noticed a couple of drivers with very high pings towards the end of quali - over 1000. I saw one of them on track and his car was leaping around all over the place - unsurprisingly!

Perhaps the players with bad connections caused some sync issue which stopped the game from proceeding from quali to race?

Keena
15-01-2018, 20:15
Don't worry about that at all, people are used to those multiplayer problems, so they will definitely not blame/associate you with this! :)

But you could instead give more information to the devs about this problem, so they can fix it. So far we had assumed that the problem is related to the host leaving the session, causing such issues. But in this case I guess it was you the host and obviously did not leave, is that right? I think any kind of information you can give them about the 2 cases when the problem happened could help them, like for example did many people quit after the qualify? Or some settings you had different than before? That sort of thing..

Thanks dude, I appreciate the reply. I'll try and provide as much detail as I can. Basically in all sessions I ran a half hour practice session followed by I think a half hour qualifying session. After setting my own time early on I then spent the rest of the session on the monitor looking for good and bad drivers and generally policing things Charlie Whiting style. At the end of qualifying the clock ran out and the continue box appeared, but no amount of clicking it would do anything. I left it for about 5-10 mins just to be on the safe side then saw one of my steam friends had started playing project cars again even though he was still presented on the continue screen in front of me. The problem seemed an inactive continue button but I'm really guessing there. It wasnt a dedicated server or anything- just using the create an online race from the main menu. Hope that helps, and appreciate the kind words.

It might be worth keeping an eye out for those bad connections and see if a trend develops.

V3nom
15-01-2018, 20:17
We had a similar situation in our league race 2 weeks ago.
We were all stuck at the loading screen at about 62% I think. We waited for about 5 minutes and we all had to relaunch the whole game.
I don't know what the cause was but everyone was stuck 62%, we were all on headsets and everyone confirmed it.