PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having a issue of GT/LMP cars dragging on the banks at Daytona?

kevin kirk
06-01-2018, 03:30
Even with ride height all the way up and bump stops the highest they will go, Im just dragging all the way thur the banks at daytona road course. All the way thur the banked corners is just constant scrapping sounds and the car just turning extra stiff from it just laying on the pavement so bad its making my eye balls shake from watching the screen. Does it just as bad with low fuel as it does with full fuel in every gt or lmp car. Any idea on how to fix or cope with it? Maybe something in spring or dampers i can do? Default stable set up, except like i said i have to ride hieght and bump stops all the way up trying to raise it up.

hkraft300
06-01-2018, 05:27
Maybe you're just riding the bump stops. You don't want the bump stops too high. In the Ligier cars 55mm front, 75me rear height with 10mm bump stops is plenty to keep it off the ground (0 wing, ~180 springs).
The GT cars stay off the ground easily too. The bump stops are noisy. Again 5mm bump stops on them are plenty.
I hit the bump stops a lot through the banking on Daytona.

kevin kirk
06-01-2018, 20:33
Maybe you're just riding the bump stops. You don't want the bump stops too high. In the Ligier cars 55mm front, 75me rear height with 10mm bump stops is plenty to keep it off the ground (0 wing, ~180 springs).
The GT cars stay off the ground easily too. The bump stops are noisy. Again 5mm bump stops on them are plenty.

the gt and lmp cars drag, beat and bang, even more when i lower the bump stops to a normal level and the scrapping sound is longer. The cars just sit down on the pavement until i get off the banking. i will try 0 wing after while and see what that does.

TexasTyme214
06-01-2018, 22:12
This is about how much downforce is pushing down vs how stiff your springs are vs your ride height. You'll need more ride height and stiffer springs to cope with more downforce. Even on low wing settings will create a good amount of downforce at high speed. I highly recommend stiff third springs and soft regular springs on LMPs with low ride height.

sp3ctor
06-01-2018, 22:15
Yeah if I’m driving just the oval, I’ll set up the car asymmetrically with the ride height higher on the right side and I’ll experiment with that until there is a minimal amount of dragging. Take a look at how Indy cars are set for ovals.

hkraft300
07-01-2018, 00:14
the gt and lmp cars drag, beat and bang, even more when i lower the bump stops to a normal level and the scrapping sound is longer. The cars just sit down on the pavement until i get off the banking. i will try 0 wing after while and see what that does.

At 0 wings they still make a fair whack of downforce. Have you checked on the telemetry screen? When I’m on the banking I’ll get flashes of red on travel getting low (springs bottoming out) but the height is still >20mm, including a lot of scraping noise. I deduce that’s the bump stop noise because my car wasn’t slowing.

This is about how much downforce is pushing down vs how stiff your springs are vs your ride height. You'll need more ride height and stiffer springs to cope with more downforce. Even on low wing settings will create a good amount of downforce at high speed. I highly recommend stiff third springs and soft regular springs on LMPs with low ride height.

+1

Even soft-ish 3rd springs hold the car up great, really.

kevin kirk
07-01-2018, 20:27
.... your right, that does seem to be the sound of me riding/hitting on the bumb stops. Silly me, I thought it was the sound of me dragging the ground. I probally would have never figured that out on my own and it would have never dawned on me thats the sound of the bumbstops. Thanks

hkraft300
07-01-2018, 23:06
It's odd. I don't expect sound from compressing bits of rubber.

kevin kirk
08-01-2018, 01:41
It's odd. I don't expect sound from compressing bits of rubber.

seems that, what ever is making it. It happens when the suspension is i guess, compressed or pushed down as far as it can for the lack of a better word, on what would I assume have to be the bumb stops.

cbenci21
30-01-2018, 03:16
Even with ride height all the way up and bump stops the highest they will go, Im just dragging all the way thur the banks at daytona road course. All the way thur the banked corners is just constant scrapping sounds and the car just turning extra stiff from it just laying on the pavement so bad its making my eye balls shake from watching the screen. Does it just as bad with low fuel as it does with full fuel in every gt or lmp car. Any idea on how to fix or cope with it? Maybe something in spring or dampers i can do? Default stable set up, except like i said i have to ride hieght and bump stops all the way up trying to raise it up.

Definitely have had a similar issue, specifically with the LMP cars. It almost seems to bog down until I exit the turn. Very annoying.

blinkngone
30-01-2018, 12:02
I only run the Tri Oval. I normally run 10 on the left bump stops and 40 on the right side for the LMPs. At least for the next few minutes until some fast guys read this post I have the most WRs at this track. I have used the offset bump stops almost exclusively recently. If I reduce the bump stops to say 5 all around on the Marek LMP1 it's as if I have the brakes on through the corner, an immediate slow down without any other changes.

hkraft300
30-01-2018, 14:34
Don't recommend riding on the bump stops through the infield section. It'll produce unpredictable handling.

blinkngone
30-01-2018, 16:23
Don't recommend riding on the bump stops through the infield section. It'll produce unpredictable handling.
Sorry, I can't test the Road course. I was responding to the OP description of his setup where he maximized the ride height and bump stops all the while he is also going through the infield section(I assume) as well. If he can drive through the infield like that then he could possibly improve just by reducing the ride height and changing the bumps.
C7.R is the example this time.
At the low ride height I normally run(58 front and 64 rear) and with the bumps full up I slow down and am unstable.
With the ride height full up and the bump stops full up it is really slow and even more unstable.

hkraft300
30-01-2018, 20:28
On GT cars the maximum bump stops I've seen necessary are 5mm on some GT1 cars.

On LMP cars, even at Daytona road, the most you'd need is 5mm for LMP2+3, maybe 10mm on some LMP1 cars depending on setup.

The P2 are fine at 50-55mm front, 65mm rear height with stiff springs. I've run the Ligier at ~180 N/m, or ~120+ 40 3rd spring without scraping.

It's interesting that you use the bump stops successfully at ovals. In pc1, the BMW LMR default setup had soft springs so on the straights at fast tracks it would drop onto them to maintain clearance. When you slow for turns, it would rise off the stops and have good mechanical grip in corners.

blinkngone
31-01-2018, 21:44
On GT cars the maximum bump stops I've seen necessary are 5mm on some GT1 cars.

On LMP cars, even at Daytona road, the most you'd need is 5mm for LMP2+3, maybe 10mm on some LMP1 cars depending on setup.

The P2 are fine at 50-55mm front, 65mm rear height with stiff springs. I've run the Ligier at ~180 N/m, or ~120+ 40 3rd spring without scraping.

It's interesting that you use the bump stops successfully at ovals. In pc1, the BMW LMR default setup had soft springs so on the straights at fast tracks it would drop onto them to maintain clearance. When you slow for turns, it would rise off the stops and have good mechanical grip in corners.

Hi hkraft300, TBH I hadn't really paid much attention to the Bump Stops until recently. If you recall when PC1 first came out the Bumps Stops were trashed and weren't fixed until a later update so I just didn't bother with them much. Then I read Matt York's recommendation about using the 0 Bump Stops for most cars and decided they might be working so I started adjusting them. Since I can only run the Ovals I went there and that's where I found the benefits of the Bump Stops. I pretty much dominate all the ovals on PC TT with the Bump Stops. Now the top people like the P's(Ranier and Dieter) are also using them and we trade records back and forth. If you want to beat my times with most cars you have to use them. There are a few cars I just don't know how to run, some I don't care to, but everyone is welcome to use my setups and beat me with them.
http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=2054003546&vehicle=3416883430