PDA

View Full Version : Online Racing

Cbrriderr
06-01-2018, 11:25
I cannot believe how bad the online racing is here at PC2. i entered a race at monza with U1000 rating. most of us had D,E,S,A rating and 5 U. I qualify 2nd got awesome start took over 1st place. 4 laps down, number 2 and 3 car decide to go through turn 1 chicane and pass me. took their penalty at end of race +1 sec. drivers else where like back marker, i am flashing my light giving signal to move over, i get next to him and he rams me on purpose.
what are people so crazy, how come it is not like this in Iracing, and Asseto corsa?

cpcdem
06-01-2018, 12:34
I don't know about iRacing, but what you described is exactly the same to my experience also in AC and in RRE. I have done several races on those sims as well and you need pure lack to not have such people in the race...not to mention that you can't kick them, so it is even worse.

I decided to move to PC2 because of the safety ranking system. It's still far from perfect, but when you join F+ ranked servers, you do get a lot better racing.

But in any case, racing in Monza it really is asking for trouble. There are so many tracks in this game... apart from the first few days, I never ever participate in Monza online races anymore.

poirqc
06-01-2018, 14:29
I cannot believe how bad the online racing is here at PC2. i entered a race at monza with U1000 rating. most of us had D,E,S,A rating and 5 U. I qualify 2nd got awesome start took over 1st place. 4 laps down, number 2 and 3 car decide to go through turn 1 chicane and pass me. took their penalty at end of race +1 sec. drivers else where like back marker, i am flashing my light giving signal to move over, i get next to him and he rams me on purpose.
what are people so crazy, how come it is not like this in Iracing, and Asseto corsa?

I get great racing in public lobbies, most of the time. Yeah, horror stories can happen but it's ok most of the time.

Now, there's enough player with better safety rating now that I'm pretty sure you can have access to D-C1000 and you'll get GREAT racing there.

U1000 is basically bottom of the bottom. Right now, almost every driver are between 1000 and 1500. So going U1000 is really aiming for the lowest.

On a side note, a U1500 is a new player. There's no problem there. He might have alot of experience from other racing titles. U1000 means he not online lost lots of races. He lost them while causing havoc.

You may lose every time but if you do it cleanly, the safety rating will go up.

TL;DR - Avoid U1000 lobbies.

Keena
06-01-2018, 14:32
I just hosted an online game in formula rookie at Snetterton. Everyone well behaved, I personally saw some great examples of situational awareness and good driving. A full lobby of 15 too. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and its probably nice for someone to be hosting a tier 4 car race. New drivers to online are probably a bit daunted by jumping into GT3 lobbies where closing speeds and speed differences are greater. Good shout about the U1000! Ill watch for that..

poirqc
06-01-2018, 14:46
I just hosted an online game in formula rookie at Snetterton. Everyone well behaved, I personally saw some great examples of situational awareness and good driving. A full lobby of 15 too. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and its probably nice for someone to be hosting a tier 4 car race. New drivers to online are probably a bit daunted by jumping into GT3 lobbies where closing speeds and speed differences are greater. Good shout about the U1000! Ill watch for that..

I did a D1000 yesterday, I think. Had few users, even if it was late. I think I'll try to move the safety rating up as much as possible while reaching the most drivers!

Cholton82
06-01-2018, 17:42
I'd like to see harsher penalties for those who enter a ranked race and behave badly , I joined a lobby a bit late so decided to spectate the race and some of the unsportsmanlike conduct was shocking . I wish day / weekly and monthly bans could be dealt out to persistent offenders .

zedeeyen
06-01-2018, 19:07
I get mostly good races, with the occasional shocking one. That said, I'm generally able to qualify and run in the top 5 or 6 so maybe I'm just in front of the carnage.

Cholton82
06-01-2018, 19:12
Quite often I try to start at the back and let them take each other out and breeze past them , I rather that than end up being someone's first corner braking zone . With this mentality my safety rating is rising nicely and hopefully in time they're will be more lobbies with high rating requirements to join .

Keena
06-01-2018, 20:02
Quite often I try to start at the back and let them take each other out and breeze past them , I rather that than end up being someone's first corner braking zone . With this mentality my safety rating is rising nicely and hopefully in time they're will be more lobbies with high rating requirements to join .

lol that's what I do. Most people haven't got the self discipline to know when to concede a corner instead taking them and you off. I hardly ever fight for a place, let them through and watch them crash at the next corner because they've carried too much speed from the overtake. Or tuck in behind a couple of car lengths back and watch them drive off the road while staring in their mirrors. Or let someone quicker through so they can have the accident together. Its a valid technique ;)

SIR_Driftalot
06-01-2018, 22:45
In my experience the players you need to watch out for are the ones who are still carrying a U,F or even E safety rating while having a pro (gold) side bar. This tells me that they’ve raced more then enough races to know better, but just can’t help driving like d*@kheads.

These days rammers don’t bother as much as they used to, at least their intentions are clear and you can take evasive action. What really gets me riled up is seemingly sportsmanlike players who will run you of the road when you get a clean run on them, ruining both your races or waiting till you’ve overtaken them cleanly and ramming you off the track at the next braking zone, then reseting back to the track and carrying on like nothing happened.
IMHO we need a setting in online lobbies to remove the ‘reset car’ function, or a at least have it incur a time penalty.

zedeeyen
06-01-2018, 23:15
My particular annoyance is some slow idiot defending his position during qualifying, on his outlap. Rarely get a session without at least one of these clowns pulling out of this pits right in front of me as I'm starting a flying lap and then swerving to block me or pushing me off the track as I go past, or trying to out-brake me into T1 if I've already passed them. There's no rule against it, but it's incredibly rude.

poirqc
07-01-2018, 02:47
My particular annoyance is some slow idiot defending his position during qualifying, on his outlap. Rarely get a session without at least one of these clowns pulling out of this pits right in front of me as I'm starting a flying lap and then swerving to block me or pushing me off the track as I go past, or trying to out-brake me into T1 if I've already passed them. There's no rule against it, but it's incredibly rude.

The problem with racing games is that they're representing a sport with rules(written or not). However, there's no mention of those given rules anywhere in the game. You kind of need to know them...

SIR_Driftalot
07-01-2018, 02:49

Oh god yes, this!!
Maybe there should be penalty’s for blocking on your out lap, just like real life.

MISTER WU
07-01-2018, 03:34
In my experience the players you need to watch out for are the ones who are still carrying a U,F or even E safety rating while having a pro (gold) side bar. This tells me that they’ve raced more then enough races to know better, but just can’t help driving like d*@kheads.

These days rammers don’t bother as much as they used to, at least their intentions are clear and you can take evasive action. What really gets me riled up is seemingly sportsmanlike players who will run you of the road when you get a clean run on them, ruining both your races or waiting till you’ve overtaken them cleanly and ramming you off the track at the next braking zone, then reseting back to the track and carrying on like nothing happened.
IMHO we need a setting in online lobbies to remove the ‘reset car’ function, or a at least have it incur a time penalty.

I disagree, my game seems to change my rank every time i start it. one day on E, the next U and i have no idea.
About the only stupid thing i do is a burn out after the race has finished and ask anyone who has raced with me here, im clean, im fast and always give way.

poirqc
07-01-2018, 03:45
I disagree, my game seems to change my rank every time i start it. one day on E, the next U and i have no idea.
About the only stupid thing i do is a burn out after the race has finished and ask anyone who has raced with me here, im clean, im fast and always give way.

You're the king of your domain, you do as you want! :)

With that said, your behavior in the cooldown lap counts against your safety rating. So it might not be the best to do donuts after the race! :)

MISTER WU
07-01-2018, 03:48
You're the king of your domain, you do as you want! :)

With that said, your behavior in the cooldown lap counts against your safety rating. So it might not be the best to do donuts after the race! :)

Well i have been to nearly every track in australia to watch the V8SC series, formula fords, GT3 etc etc and all of them do a victory burn out after the race with out a penalty.
Its for the crowd! If this is whats casing me rank issue then thats just bloody stupid. Its called a victory burnout for a reason!

Blake-Lee43
07-01-2018, 04:24
Well i have been to nearly every track in australia to watch the V8SC series, formula fords, GT3 etc etc and all of them do a victory burn out after the race with out a penalty.
Its for the crowd! If this is whats casing me rank issue then thats just bloody stupid. Its called a victory burnout for a reason!

Not completely true, Chaz Mostert copped a 3K fine at Phillip Island last year for a burnout after the race.

KampfSchneggy
07-01-2018, 04:33
The problem with racing games is that they're representing a sport with rules(written or not). However, there's no mention of those given rules anywhere in the game. You kind of need to know them...
This!
It probably would help to include some common rules in the loading screen hints!

kofotsjanne
07-01-2018, 10:01
This!
It probably would help to include some common rules in the loading screen hints!
Or force people to do a course before they are allowed online. If they dont do and succeed they get to race each other. It wouldnt help against the wreckers but it would help against those that just dont know better.

I don't know about iRacing, but what you described is exactly the same to my experience also in AC and in RRE. I have done several races on those sims as well and you need pure lack to not have such people in the race...not to mention that you can't kick them, so it is even worse.

I decided to move to PC2 because of the safety ranking system. It's still far from perfect, but when you join F+ ranked servers, you do get a lot better racing.

But in any case, racing in Monza it really is asking for trouble. There are so many tracks in this game... apart from the first few days, I never ever participate in Monza online races anymore.
AC has a safety rating and you can votekick. The safety rating isnt officially in the game though so you sometime need to join the server to see if its used.

cpcdem
07-01-2018, 12:56
AC has a safety rating and you can votekick. The safety rating isnt officially in the game though so you sometime need to join the server to see if its used.

You can kick, but then the kicked player can join again, even after the race has started, from the pit lane and angry as he is, just create havoc with the others, happened way too many times to me. Or has this changed in the last months?

About the safety rating, I saw something like that in some servers. But from what I remember you couldn't pick a race with sort of "only high safety ranking players", or do I remember wrong?

One thing I really liked though, is that you could do voting while racing, by a single press of a button (Y/N) about if you want to kick someone. Also you can do that to vote about skipping to the next session, or to restart a race, if it has gone really bad at T1. Would like those implemented in project cars as well.

kofotsjanne
07-01-2018, 14:18
You can kick, but then the kicked player can join again, even after the race has started, from the pit lane and angry as he is, just create havoc with the others, happened way too many times to me. Or has this changed in the last months?

About the safety rating, I saw something like that in some servers. But from what I remember you couldn't pick a race with sort of "only high safety ranking players", or do I remember wrong?

One thing I really liked though, is that you could do voting while racing, by a single press of a button (Y/N) about if you want to kick someone. Also you can do that to vote about skipping to the next session, or to restart a race, if it has gone really bad at T1. Would like those implemented in project cars as well.
Was a while since i raced online in AC but im pretty sure they added a option for admins to not let ppl join the race after it had started, that was one way to get rid of the "i got wrecked in t1, lets press 'back to pit to get a fresh car'" iirc.

With the safety rating its the same thing, its up to the admins to decide what rating they want to allow on their servers. But its the same issue in that game as in pcars2, admins want ppl to join their races so they dont set the rating to high.

I dont agree about being able to restart :P I cant remember how many times i got out alive from T1 in a row and every time it was a restart, until that one time I got killed and took my car and left the server.

Id like (in ac/pcars2/*insert name*) a easy votekick that you can use with your mouse or steeringwheel/gamepad, a list of players that you can choose from and a list of reasons you want to kick him/her and then other drivers also being able to vote yes/no with their wheels.

zedeeyen
07-01-2018, 17:15
I reckon being able to rate other drivers at the end of a race and either have that rating added to their safety rating, or else displayed separately, would be a good addition.

One of the weaker aspects of PCars is the social/ personal aspect. I don't know about anyone else, but when I get wrecked by an idiot I struggle to even figure out who they are because their name, abbreviation, icon, and car livery don't appear all together in the same place. Often I know what car they were driving but struggle to spot it on the tiny thumbnails in the short time available after the race is over. Without knowing who it is it's awful hard to avoid them in future.

Conversely, I can have an awesome clean race with someone and then it ends and I'm trying to figure out who it was with and BOOM, I'm back in the lobby and everyone is leaving to find the next one (which is another design issue altogether).

Cholton82
07-01-2018, 18:53
Some great racing today , I have been using my mic to inform people to stay off the racing line in qualifying if they aren't on a hot lap and there is a faster car approaching , Sometimes people need reminding that qually isn't the race .
Also if you have someone chasing you down in a race and they are obviously quicker just let them pass as you will only loose more time fighting them .

freeon
09-01-2018, 16:39
I reckon being able to rate other drivers at the end of a race and either have that rating added to their safety rating, or else displayed separately, would be a good addition.

One of the weaker aspects of PCars is the social/ personal aspect. I don't know about anyone else, but when I get wrecked by an idiot I struggle to even figure out who they are because their name, abbreviation, icon, and car livery don't appear all together in the same place. Often I know what car they were driving but struggle to spot it on the tiny thumbnails in the short time available after the race is over. Without knowing who it is it's awful hard to avoid them in future.

Conversely, I can have an awesome clean race with someone and then it ends and I'm trying to figure out who it was with and BOOM, I'm back in the lobby and everyone is leaving to find the next one (which is another design issue altogether).

Being able to rate other drivers after the race would be nice. The problem I see is like you mentioned, it's can be hard sometimes to figure out who wrecked you and I think people would end up getting poor rating because of someone else mistake.

m1ndgames
19-01-2018, 23:02
Hi!
there is a project on github thats called "pcars-addon-penalty". (I cant post links yet)

It rates racers and kick/bans them from the server:

The idea behind this addon is not kick every player that crashes during a race, but only those who are unfair or can't drive without collide. These are the rules:

Every player starts with 0 penalty points. These points are increased when an impact happens. The car with the greater race position will receive the penalty, this means if you are in 9th and when you try to overtake the 8th and a collision happens, you will be considered the culprit and receive the penalty points.

The points are given to a player every time an impact happens if the last impact was more than 3 seconds before. The host of the session receives a different number of points.

When a player cuts track, he will receive penalty points if gained position while off-track.

During the first 4 seconds of the race start, the first player to crash will receive penalty points doubled.

On every clean lap (without impact) completed, the player will have its accumulated penalty points reduced.

On every lap completed as P1, the player will have its accumulated penalty points reduced.

Its for pcars 1, but i know that the api didnt change a lot, so it might still work, or is at least easy to fix...

Balles
26-01-2018, 06:26
Being able to rate other drivers after the race would be nice. The problem I see is like you mentioned, it's can be hard sometimes to figure out who wrecked you and I think people would end up getting poor rating because of someone else mistake.

What you said, and it would need to be objective and fair. Good luck with that !

Richie Padalino
26-01-2018, 07:11

I'm not sure this would work, at all.
For example, would you trust a guy who's just cut every chicane at Monza, and rammed 4 drivers off the road, to give you a correct rating after the race?

There's so many bellends out there, that it would just become a nonsense.

Unfortunately.

After my experience of Monza last night, I'm staying well clear. Not that I really want to race there anyway, I don't really get what the big attraction is, if I'm honest? But last night, that was the only lobby suitable at the time.

davidt33
26-01-2018, 09:25
That is the best we have now

@sheikh1995 Why are you spamming the forum with this "That is the best we have now" comment on various threads?

FlakNine
26-01-2018, 12:24

It's often hard to know who is at fault without studying the replay. The other night I was in a race at Oulton where we all got away cleanly, I was somewhere in the midfield (this is good for me!), then came down into turn 3 on lap 1 and somebody just sideswiped me, with them travelling at a crazy angle which meant I was certain it was deliberate :mad:. So I was grumpy all race, cursing to myself at the state of multiplayer, rammers, etc. I knew which driver it was and if there was a rating system I'd have scored them badly. But then I watched the reply after the race, and saw that they'd been gently nudged wide by someone, got two wheels onto the grass and span back across me - it was nothing more than an unfortunate racing incident.

Unless we employ an army of "Charlie Whitings" to act as race stewards (££££) I think the current rating system is working OK, I've had some great races recently now I know to avoid the U1000 races, and it isn't that hard to build up a good safety rating.