PDA

View Full Version : 1st Sector Oulton Park - still not fixed - AI far too quick

Jazzbucca
06-01-2018, 10:40
The AI is bad in this game, turn 1 Oulton park the AI are 2 seconds quicker than me!

they need to fix this as here is no way you can take those speeds into turn 1, unless I am actually terrible!

Anyone else having this same issue?

I also find the AI so varied, so I can run 110%+ on some tracks, some I have to run 79% like Oulton Park.

Are they looking to fix the AI variables?

Konan
06-01-2018, 11:01
The AI is bad in this game, turn 1 Oulton park the AI are 2 seconds quicker than me!

they need to fix this as here is no way you can take those speeds into turn 1, unless I am actually terrible!

Anyone else having this same issue?

I also find the AI so varied, so I can run 110%+ on some tracks, some I have to run 79% like Oulton Park.

Are they looking to fix the AI variables?

Could you be more specific please?
What class for instance...a major task for the devs if they have to try every car in every condition at every time of day...etc...

Redster
06-01-2018, 11:04
Turn 1 is a very late apex. You should go in wide, carry a bunch of speed, 4th gear and hit the apex at the point near the bollards at the end of the right hand kerb. You can carry silly speed through that corner when you get it right.

Beastie
06-01-2018, 11:21
Which cars are you using?

Turn 1 (Old Hall) I find I can make up a bit of time by braking late, going in quite deep, then getting on the power and apexing as late as possible so as to keep the throttle wide open on exit. Maybe you are apexing too early so you lose drive down The Avenue?

I've found the AI very fast through Island Bend (turn 4), they sometimes ram me from behind there!

On the other hand I can make up time elsewhere, so over a lap the AI seems fairly well balanced at this circuit, for me.

Oulton is my fave track so I've put in lot of laps trying to figure it out.

I agree that the AI difficulty is quite varied but given the number of permutations of cars and tracks I guess it would take an awful lot of testing and tweaking to balance everything perfectly.

Jazzbucca
06-01-2018, 11:47
I'm in GT3, in fact all classes I am struggling on Oulton Park. So it's just me struggling. The reason I posted is in PC1 I took the same line and found no problems!

I will try and adjust my line, but i'm having difficulty actually turning in, so taking it wide i run out of track. Let me have frag around see what happens.

Zaskarspants
06-01-2018, 11:47
I agree with turn one being deceptive, I spent ages turning in too early, later is faster and I can stuff the ai playing at 95 / 70.
Turn 4 is scary for the first two or three laps and the ai do appear to have a slight edge but when the track gets a bit of rubber I am faster than them on my diff setting.

Zaskarspants
06-01-2018, 11:57
Ai variables will never be 'fixed' as people's talents and abilities vary so widely.

I have finally scraped into the nineties for difficulty but on my fav car and fav track, G57 at Oulton park, I am much faster. I have third place TT at Oulton on default loose setup and I only did two flying laps to set that time. But put me in an open wheeler other than f5 and I am back down to 70s difficulty. In the ginetta gt5 I again rule and am about 110.

The diff level is a guide only and needs familiarity from the user and finessing according to your own talents.

Keena
06-01-2018, 12:01
I'm in GT3, in fact all classes I am struggling on Oulton Park. So it's just me struggling. The reason I posted is in PC1 I took the same line and found no problems!

I will try and adjust my line, but i'm having difficulty actually turning in, so taking it wide i run out of track. Let me have frag around see what happens.

Definitely don't try and get on the power too early either. Its a bugger of a corner surprisingly, but as Zaskarspants say, get it right and youll suddenly know.

Zaskarspants
06-01-2018, 12:07

I am just getting the hang of trail braking and in this corner it works well. Turn in late with just a touch of brake through the corner and most cars will tuck in and carry a surprising amount of speed. I often overtake on the short kinked straight befor the long left after carrying speed from turn 1.

Purg
06-01-2018, 22:04

I've run quite a few series at Oulton Park anywhere between 110-120%, if AI is 2 seconds quicker than you at the first turn, I'd suggest you're more likely the problem than the AI. Depending on the track configuration, the bottom of the hill is a prime overtaking area for me.

McClusky
07-01-2018, 00:20
Oulton Park: The Definitive Circuit Guide (https://youtu.be/Slaab9SjWys) (some great info)

ECAR_Tracks
07-01-2018, 02:26
Only in Outlon? XD
There are countless sectors of specific tracks where AI are totally off at, be unreasonable fast or slow.

I am resigned this is one more hot lap simulator. A very good one, but no point to race against the AI.

Possibly online be good but not my cup of tea, racing against humans is in kart track RL for my taste.

bmanic
07-01-2018, 02:31
Sorry to be blunt but most of these kinds of complaints are pure BS and come down to the individual skill level of the drivers. I have no problem at all catching the AI at Oulton Park on the first sector. It's a tricky complex of corners that I see people take wrong all the time. Heck the following straight is where I pass most people online as they always mess up.

It's so convenient and much easier to blame the AI than look in the mirror and consider the possibility that oneself is the issue.

On most tracks I find the AI to be too slow in a corner or two. Very rarely too fast.

bmanic
07-01-2018, 14:34
Well worth watching for anybody who struggles at Oulton Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slaab9SjWys

As said in the video, the first part of Oulton Park is not at all intuitive nor simple. To get the first few corners done correctly takes quite a bit of understanding and practice effort.

McClusky
07-01-2018, 19:17

What is the AI aggression set to? I like lower aggression with higher difficulty (track dependent).

bmanic
08-01-2018, 05:35
AI is definitely very varied but this is mainly due to them being very slow on some tracks.. not the opposite way around. The "AI is cheating and is too fast" that some people seem to allude to is definitely not true, at least I haven't found a single case where this would be true with AI slider at 100 or under.

But the AI is definitely too slow on some tracks and thus you need to bump it up to 110 or even 120 to have a competitive race.. and even at 120 they can be rather slow when it comes to some special circumstances.

Sankyo
08-01-2018, 07:42
Sorry to be blunt but most of these kinds of complaints are pure BS and come down to the individual skill level of the drivers. I have no problem at all catching the AI at Oulton Park on the first sector. It's a tricky complex of corners that I see people take wrong all the time. Heck the following straight is where I pass most people online as they always mess up.

It's so convenient and much easier to blame the AI than look in the mirror and consider the possibility that oneself is the issue.

On most tracks I find the AI to be too slow in a corner or two. Very rarely too fast.
Disregarding the blunt wording ;), I think there's a very valid point in here. The AI isn't perfect and may still need tweaking here and there, but it's too easy taking your own driving style and level as the reference that the AI needs to be measured towards. Maybe you are the one that needs improving, maybe you are not doing it right. Personally I always try and find out first what I myself am doing wrong if I cannot keep up with the AI. The AI may not be on the exact same physics model as the player, but their lines and cornering speeds are based on what Doug Arnao, a very experienced real-life driver, has told them to take. So if your lines and speeds are out of whack compared to the AI, check your own bases first :)

As for sim racers finding the AI too slow, that's just because you're not hindered by real-life life- and car-saving racing habits :p

UkHardcore23
08-01-2018, 10:13
Well worth watching for anybody who struggles at Oulton Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slaab9SjWys

As said in the video, the first part of Oulton Park is not at all intuitive nor simple. To get the first few corners done correctly takes quite a bit of understanding and practice effort.

He reckons GT cars and alike (non single seaters) need a good brake at island bend, This is where i find the AI are totally off as they seem to take it flat out.

Zaskarspants
08-01-2018, 11:21
He reckons GT cars and alike (non single seaters) need a good brake at island bend, This is where i find the AI are totally off as they seem to take it flat out.

In the early laps of a race or during cold wet and less grippy conditions I find I slow here, however in good conditions I can do it ' nearly' flat, on default loose, but I do need to use a little bit of trail braking/ lift offto tuck the front in.

I was occasionally punted up the back on this corner but now I generally am ok.

edit - turning in a bit later seems key here.

bmanic
08-01-2018, 11:36

You can take it mostly flat out in the game but you need to hit it exactly right. Margin for error here is very small.. hence I guess most people do a tiny brake or throttle off in real life. Also, again it depends on your setup.

This is not a corner where the AI is extra fast but they are definitely on the edge of grip which is very possible for the player to do as well.

bmanic
08-01-2018, 11:37
In the early laps of a race or during cold wet and less grippy conditions I find I slow here, however in good conditions I can do it ' nearly' flat, on default loose, but I do need to use a little bit of trail braking/ lift offto tuck the front in.

I was occasionally punted up the back on this corner but now I generally am ok.

edit - turning in a bit later seems key here.

The key is to hit the corner exactly where it's most optimally cambered.. pretty much 100% as explained in the video. If you turn too early and hit the kerbs it upsets the car enough so that you do not make it.. hit it too late and you miss the cambered spot. Hit it "just right" and you can take it full speed. Margin for error is measured in centimeters/inches here, depending on car and amount of downforce.

ECAR_Tracks
14-01-2018, 14:27
You can take it mostly flat out in the game but you need to hit it exactly right. Margin for error here is very small.. hence I guess most people do a tiny brake or throttle off in real life. Also, again it depends on your setup.

This is not a corner where the AI is extra fast but they are definitely on the edge of grip which is very possible for the player to do as well.

OK Senna, we got your point. We are slow, AI are slow as well. :rolleyes: