PDA

View Full Version : So frustrating Project Cars 1 is better than 2!

CJ1045
07-01-2018, 10:54
I have been seriously getting into PS4 racing games over the last few months and am, in genral, loving them. At the start of the renaissance I bought Project Cars 1 GOTY edition and started to play it. Huge fun and very impressive but I had the urge for some more modern cars and official Porsche in particular. Enter Project Cars 2 Collector's edition. Better interface and a lot of the cars I was longing to drive.

So off I blast but then hours have been spent trying to get the Force Feedback anything like reasonable. In PC1 all I have to do was set FFB strength to 40% and that was perfect for me with my T300 RS. Took the RUF 911 round Nurburgring GP and was loving it in PC1. In PC2 I have found it almost impossible to get the FFB to emulate the great feel I had in PC1. After a lot of trial and error it is now OK but still is not as good as PC1. I cannot understand why it cannot be a simple as PC1.

So that was FFB but now to sound. I just could not believe how bad the sound was in PC2. Same track but with the official 911 RSR. What in the world is going on. All the volume has gone, easily recitifed by turning up the surround sound volume on the processor but then alll the atmosphere has gone and replace by a high pitched squealing engine behind my head and a gear change that sounds like someone is hitting the gearbox casing with a large metal mallet. I have even turned down the suspension/transmission volume to 5 and the gear changes are still pretty loud. Now the PS4 Pro is feeding my Marantz 8801 processor and that, in turn, is feeding a multi-channel Linn power amp then to a combination of Focal and Linn speakers with a REL sub. Sound system approx 20,000. PC1 sounds awesome, AC sounds awesome, GT Sport sounds awsome, indeed PC1 sounds the best but PC2 sounds really awful. I really do think that the developers have made some significant mistake in the PS4 sound mix for PC2. One, perhaps, significant symptom of that is that the LFE level makes no differnce to the sound at all, whether set at 0 or 100.

It would be very nice if the developers acknowledged the problem and, even better, they had a fix for the next patch.

As it is at the moment PC1 is so much better than I am going to stick with that and the older cars.

CJ

leeroy98
08-01-2018, 22:52
You need to change more than just ffb back strength in both pc1 and pc2 look up some of the setups that are on this forum. Pc1 took months of tweaking thanks jack spade so if you only changed ffb in pc1 and think its better than pc2 you are sadly mistaken and missing out my friend

leeroy98
08-01-2018, 22:59
Here's one after 3.0 patch plus many others out there have a play around with settings and ffb is individual to each person something that feels good for you might not to someone else....
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59276-T300-PS4-settings-post-patch-3-x and http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59786-Force-Feedback-problem-with-Project-Cars-2

Zaskarspants
09-01-2018, 12:27
Pcars 1 had a total of 46,678 ffb sliders, it was awful and intimidating to most and an incredible faff to adjust.
I made the number up but it was lots.

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-01-2018, 12:33
Pcars 1 had a total of 46,678 ffb sliders, it was awful and intimidating to most and an incredible faff to adjust.
I made the number up but it was lots.

It was a bit much... I'm sure it was something like this -

Zaskarspants
09-01-2018, 12:36
^^^ Lols, pc1 ffb buttonbox.

Konan
09-01-2018, 14:54
So...based on your ffb experiences and the sound you completely put pCARS2 on your "to ignore" list?
That's like buying one of those Porsches and dismissing it because you don't like the taillights or the shape of the fueltank cover...
There is so much more to this game that outshines its predecessor...priorities i guess...which you are completely entitled to BTW.
Just think it's a shame and you are missing out in my humble view...

UkHardcore23
09-01-2018, 15:21
So...based on your ffb experiences and the sound you completely put pCARS2 on your "to ignore" list?
That's like buying one of those Porsches and dismissing it because you don't like the taillights or the shape of the fueltank cover...
There is so much more to this game that outshines its predecessor...priorities i guess...which you are completely entitled to BTW.
Just think it's a shame and you are missing out in my humble view...

Yeah it's exactly like that. :dejection:

Konan
09-01-2018, 15:27
Yeah it's exactly like that. :dejection:

It got the point across didn't it? :p
I personally know of people who in the past bought a new car because the ashtray was full...

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-01-2018, 15:30
Each unto their own... but I cannot quite get why anyone would prefer the FFB feel of the original over the current incarnation... it felt wooden, heavy and uninformative in comparison. The difference is like just after having big dollops of stubborn wax syringed out of yer lugs after suffering weeks of dulled hearing.

UkHardcore23
09-01-2018, 15:58
Each unto their own... but I cannot quite get why anyone would prefer the FFB feel of the original over the current incarnation... it felt wooden, heavy and uninformative in comparison. The difference is like just after having big dollops of stubborn wax syringed out of yer lugs after suffering weeks of dulled hearing.

It's strange, I was never 100% happy with the ffb in PCARS 1 but at Oulton Park it felt amazing (only place) PCARS 2 i cannot get anywhere close to the feedback that the first game gave at Oulton Park after hours upon hours of trying. Overall i think the ffb has improved slightly but some instances it's worse.

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-01-2018, 16:05
It's strange, I was never 100% happy with the ffb in PCARS 1 but at Oulton Park it felt amazing (only place) PCARS 2 i cannot get anywhere close to the feedback that the first game gave at Oulton Park after hours upon hours of trying. Overall i think the ffb has improved slightly but some instances it's worse.

Fair point, plus I'm now using the CSL PS4 wheel instead of my old CSR Elite... it feels unbelievably good, so perhaps my judgement is a little skewed.

John Hargreaves
09-01-2018, 16:15
Perhaps treat PC2 as a completely new game, which it pretty much is actually, rather than PC1.5. I think if you approach it fresh, you will find the things you are looking for, but it is very different in many ways. I also liked the FFB in PC1, but now that I have got PC2 to my liking, I think it's a big improvement, as is the tyre model and overall handling.
My advice would be just to start from scratch without any expectations based on the previous version and stick with it, it's an immensely deep simulation and will take time to set up to your liking. I drive mostly PC sims, and you just get used to having to do that, and it's actually great to even be able to do. When I come to a game without many options to tweak I feel quite frustrated.
I've been playing PC1 and 2 back to back on my PS4, and yeah, I think they are quite different.

Schnizz58
09-01-2018, 16:27
It was a bit much... I'm sure it was something like this -

I still haz a sad because I miss all the knobs we used to have. I still haven't been able to dial in the detail that I had in PC1.

CJ1045
09-01-2018, 18:40
OK with respect to PC1 the only force feedback item I have adjusted is Strength and have now set it to 35%. For me racing GT3 cars on tracks like Nurburgring GP it is just how I like it. Smooth constant feedback, mild road feel and good feel for what the tyres are doing. With PC2 I have spent a long time balancing overall force and volume and then tweaking with Tone and Effects. It is OK but the wheel feels a bit dead at slow speed - little feedback but if I turn up the force and/or volume then it gets way too heavy very quickly and I start getting the wheel seesawing with the force up the uphill straight after the chicane at Nurburgring. Again I am focusing on GT3 cars - 911 RSR in particular. Currently I am on RAW 45 45 35 5.

On sound how can that massive clunk from the gearbox be right? PC1 sounds better and really immersive when driving inside the car. With PC2 all the sound is behind you which is not how acoustics in a closed space works.

CJ

inthebagbud
09-01-2018, 18:53
I have to agree with the OP on this .

The is really dependent on your wheel . As a Fantec xbox user Pcars1 is the only game that fully utilises that combination. I acknowledge at present we have an issue with the FFB/Fanatec/console and hopefully it will be put right, but although the demo was good I still prefer on console the Pcars 1 ffb. I hope that when the fix arrives for console FFB I am proved wrong as I really want another title to race with.

On the sound the sound mix on the console some how feels flat - its has no teeth/bass/grunt - whatever you want to call it and still prefer Pcars 1 at this present time . I did liken to the change from vinyl (Pcars1) to CD (Pcars2) and how everybody loved CD's at first for their crystal clear quality and then we started harking back for the "roughness" of vinyl as C sound became a little to clinical.

As I say I hope when I can actually use the game when the Fanatec fix is made I am proved wrong but at present I only have Pcars1 as my racing game which is the only game that does the console/Fanatec combination justice.

hkraft300
09-01-2018, 22:54
If the tires are cold/under inflated, or suspension is soft, or the alignment is mild, the ffb will feel average.

Once the tires switch on, you feel the ffb get slightly sharper. Then you tune the car alignment and the ffb feels more aggressive (try the M6 GT3 at >1.7 bar, max caster, 3.0 camber).

That’s how much better ffb is on pc2 > pc1.