PDA

View Full Version : tires get hot and you spin

snowj822
09-01-2018, 05:06
im noticing that when i get my tires warm i have less grip and start spinning out no matter what. i can tune the car and drive just fine, but when i get on my 3rd or 4th lap the car just spins out. i try to push it and it just has no grip and acts unpredictably.

Invincible
09-01-2018, 06:01
Which car are you talking about?

w0rthy
09-01-2018, 06:38
This seems prominent in many cars really, it seems like potentially all the cars I've driven have the most grip on stone cold tires. A good example that I remember was found was the Ginetta G40 GT5 (default setup at silverstone gp), where every lap the car gets significantly slower and slower.

hkraft300
09-01-2018, 06:50
Soft tires are only good for track temp <20℃.
Try the hard tires and monitor your tire pressures. After a few laps of the tires feel slippy, check your tire pressures. You want to keep hot pressures <1.8 bar it'll feel good for long stints.

Konan
09-01-2018, 06:52
The OP got banned for trolling but i'm leaving this thread open for information purposes...

w0rthy
09-01-2018, 18:17
Soft tires are only good for track temp <20℃.
Try the hard tires and monitor your tire pressures. After a few laps of the tires feel slippy, check your tire pressures. You want to keep hot pressures <1.8 bar it'll feel good for long stints.

The tires were no where near overheating and I believe the specific car mentioned (Ginetta G40 GT5) only has 1 slick compound so whether it is a hard compound is irrelevant. To add to this, tire wear was even turned off, and this issue was noticed quickly by the 32 people in the league race. The car was quickest on the out lap, while the tires were coldest, even the first lap after yielded a noticeably much slower and worse handling car.

Schnizz58
09-01-2018, 18:25
The tires were no where near overheating and I believe the specific car mentioned (Ginetta G40 GT5) only has 1 slick compound so whether it is a hard compound is irrelevant. To add to this, tire wear was even turned off, and this issue was noticed quickly by the 32 people in the league race. The car was quickest on the out lap, while the tires were coldest, even the first lap after yielded a noticeably much slower and worse handling car.
Sounds like they were running too much pressure. The tire over-inflated as it warmed up and lost grip.

w0rthy
09-01-2018, 18:38
Sounds like they were running too much pressure. The tire over-inflated as it warmed up and lost grip.

It was the default setup, so if this was the case, then the default setup is horribly wrong.

MaximusN
09-01-2018, 19:04
It was the default setup, so if this was the case, then the default setup is horribly wrong.

Default setups CAN be horribly wrong on some tracks and in some conditions. It's one(okay two: loose and stable) default for ALL remember...

But what track was this at? And what season and time(because it has a big effect on the temperature).

Schnizz58
09-01-2018, 20:32

I think the default setups are great with the exception of the tire pressures. They're too high by default.

Nyreen
10-01-2018, 23:26
On a standard GT3 car, I'd setup the pressure around (bars) 1,42 on the front and 1,40 on the rear. It obviously needs a little tweaking for long races, but it oftenly does the job.

But "too high by default" isn't always the case, when loading up the BMW Touring Car, I think it's setup such as front 1,55 and rear 1,30. I tried my GT-cars tire pressure (26 PSI when heated up) and I've experienced better laptimes (alongside other tweakings).