PDA

View Full Version : Return to Pitbox question

The_Sinnman
11-01-2018, 15:02
I'm a new PC2 player and have a question regarding "Return to Pitbox". What is the difference with this option versus actually SLOWLY driving your badly damaged car around the track and entering the pits? Is it an option that allows you to get back to the pits without wasting time driving around a long circuit (Nordschleiffe would suck)? Or are is this option used for other purposes?

Cheers!
K

Schnizz58
11-01-2018, 15:10
Return to Pitbox actually puts you in the garage (if there is one) and will allow you to change the setup. If you drive into the pits it will activate the pit strategy you've selected.

The_Sinnman
11-01-2018, 15:22
Return to Pitbox actually puts you in the garage (if there is one) and will allow you to change the setup. If you drive into the pits it will activate the pit strategy you've selected.

So for example, if I was in a qualifying session and damaged my car would "Return to Pitbox" take care of any damage and allow me to return to qualifying? There doesn't seem to be a time penaltly for this option. However, if I drive into the pits to have the damage repaired then it's a real time situation and the amount of time left in the qualifying session is reduced according to the pit stop length.

AbeWoz
11-01-2018, 15:36
correct. use the 'return to garage' in practice and qualifying.

Richie Padalino
11-01-2018, 15:39
So for example, if I was in a qualifying session and damaged my car would "Return to Pitbox" take care of any damage and allow me to return to qualifying? There doesn't seem to be a time penaltly for this option. However, if I drive into the pits to have the damage repaired then it's a real time situation and the amount of time left in the qualifying session is reduced according to the pit stop length.

I've also wondered about this. It doesn't make any sense to me, that there is this option where you can automatically transport back into your garage, and everything is fixed instantaneously. Why not just build the time it would take from relative position on the track, and the repair time?

I understand this probably isn't possible in multiplayer, but surely this is not a difficult thing to implement offline, and would add to the realism, not take away, as it does now.

Schnizz58
11-01-2018, 15:40

Yes, that's exactly right. The return to pitbox option is unrealistic so if realism is what you're after, you have to limp back to the pits if you can. And even that's not very realistic because they can fix just about anything in a few minutes.

Konan
11-01-2018, 15:45
I've also wondered about this. It doesn't make any sense to me, that there is this option where you can automatically transport back into your garage, and everything is fixed instantaneously. Why not just build the time it would take from relative position on the track, and the repair time?

I understand this probably isn't possible in multiplayer, but surely this is not a difficult thing to implement offline, and would add to the realism, not take away, as it does now.

That's why you have the choice between two options...

Schnizz58
11-01-2018, 15:46

What I have done sometimes if I'm trying to make it as realistic as I can is that if I damage my car beyond what could be fixed in the qualification session, I just return to pits and wait for the end of the session. Whatever my time was at that point is my qualification time. That's the price for crashing. Also if I want to make a setup change, I will drive around to the pit entrance and then hit return to pits to put me back in the garage.

Richie Padalino
11-01-2018, 15:47
Yes, that's exactly right. The return to pitbox option is unrealistic so if realism is what you're after, you have to limp back to the pits if you can. And even that's not very realistic because they can fix just about anything in a few minutes.

This is true, and a good point. I think really it should be a case of if you've caused something, or something has happened, that in reality would be terminal, then it should be terminal in the game.

Out of curiosity, why is it not like that? If there's anyone that might know?

Richie Padalino
11-01-2018, 15:49
What I have done sometimes if I'm trying to make it as realistic as I can is that if I damage my car beyond what could be fixed in the qualification session, I just return to pits and wait for the end of the session. Whatever my time was at that point is my qualification time. That's the price for crashing. Also if I want to make a setup change, I will drive around to the pit entrance and then hit return to pits to put me back in the garage.

How do you know if it's something that can not be fixed in that time frame? I'm certainly no expert, so wouldn't really have a clue.

Schnizz58
11-01-2018, 15:52
This is true, and a good point. I think really it should be a case of if you've caused something, or something has happened, that in reality would be terminal, then it should be terminal in the game.

Out of curiosity, why is it not like that? If there's anyone that might know?

Just a guess but as Konan alluded to, you have the option of self-enforcement.

Schnizz58
11-01-2018, 15:55
How do you know if it's something that can not be fixed in that time frame? I'm certainly no expert, so wouldn't really have a clue.

Pretty much anything other than minor bodywork. So if I clip a tire stack or swap paint with another car, I don't worry about it but if I bash a wall pretty hard, that's terminal. Ditto for any kind of engine damage.

The_Sinnman
11-01-2018, 15:59
So to clarify, Return to Pitbox is not an option during a race? Considering the "instant" repairs and no change in session time, that would make sense.

Thanks for the explanations!

Cheers!
K

AbeWoz
11-01-2018, 16:05
correct... unlike in assetto corsa where during a race you can return to pits and continue racing, in PC2 you have to drive to pits for repair (during race) or retire to pitbox and your race is over.