PDA

View Full Version : Renault 3.5

jimortality
13-01-2018, 10:54
I love driving this car but I can't win a race especially at Brands Hatch. I also tried to do a 30 lap race at Watkins Glen and I know that track is a beast for cars but again, I can't find an AI setting that suits the car. I'm only mediocre but I was wondering If there is a known issue with the AI and this car. I'm right down to 30-40 aggression and 50 - 60 AI level. Always start at the back and the aggression works well on the first corner but I can get maybe up to 15th place depending on ai pitting but I do seem to struggle and I'm practising really hard honest guv! :p Brands Hatch is a different beast again as the same ai settings and I can't get more than a few places. I'm using 25 AI and I'll keep practising but If anyone can help me improve with this combo, I would love you long time :o

Keena
13-01-2018, 11:09
Are you using a wheel? What ffb if so? Are you loading a stable setup?

jimortality
13-01-2018, 11:40
Are you using a wheel? What ffb if so? Are you loading a stable setup?

Yes mate, I use a T300 and just default immersive with volume on 40% Personally I love the feel of this car but I don't think it's supposed to be raced at Watkins lol

blinkngone
13-01-2018, 23:39
Yes mate, I use a T300 and just default immersive with volume on 40% Personally I love the feel of this car but I don't think it's supposed to be raced at Watkins lol

Hi Jim, it says you are on PC and there are setups for Patch 3.0 on TT for both Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen, if you haven't tried them it may be worth a look.

jimortality
14-01-2018, 09:04
Hi Jim, it says you are on PC and there are setups for Patch 3.0 on TT for both Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen, if you haven't tried them it may be worth a look.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

jimortality
14-01-2018, 13:06
So I downloaded the ghost set up from the number 1 time and did a couple of laps straight off. Got within about 5 seconds which for me is pretty good and I am happy for now. Laps 3 and 4 were a problem as the engine was overheating then it completely blew up. I checked the new set up and found the radiator was totally closed lol. Anyway, I did a few more laps and the engine is now lasting longer. This is brilliant, the car feels fantastic in my own opinion and I can even see the tires heating up then changing colour when they cool down again. More practice needed especially trying to make the engine last but this combi is great.

blinkngone
14-01-2018, 21:06
So I downloaded the ghost set up from the number 1 time and did a couple of laps straight off. Got within about 5 seconds which for me is pretty good and I am happy for now. Laps 3 and 4 were a problem as the engine was overheating then it completely blew up. I checked the new set up and found the radiator was totally closed lol. Anyway, I did a few more laps and the engine is now lasting longer. This is brilliant, the car feels fantastic in my own opinion and I can even see the tires heating up then changing colour when they cool down again. More practice needed especially trying to make the engine last but this combi is great.

Hi Jim, sorry, in the TT you can used closed ducts and radiator openings. If you intend to race these setups need to be adjusted almost always.

jimortality
14-01-2018, 21:19
Hi Jim, sorry, in the TT you can used closed ducts and radiator openings. If you intend to race these setups need to be adjusted almost always.

Ah right thanks.

Cristi
14-01-2018, 21:22
Laps 3 and 4 were a problem as the engine was overheating then it completely blew up. I checked the new set up and found the radiator was totally closed lol.

That's a standard setup for time trial. Radiator closed and 1L of fuel.

jimortality
14-01-2018, 21:41
That's a standard setup for time trial. Radiator closed and 1L of fuel.

Yeah I soon started to realise lol

hkraft300
15-01-2018, 07:00
They're both quite bumpy old tracks. The Renault runs stiff, high Aero and fairly low. Drive it hard and fast, get the tyres in the zone and it'll be quick.
Assuming the AI pace, I think at that strength you need to concentrate on basic track driving techniques and get consistent. You'd want to tune the tires and brakes but beyond that, I wouldn't worry about tuning until you're well beyond 80AI.

jimortality
02-02-2018, 13:02
Can someone film an AI race with these at Silverstone please as I'm despairing with the AI now. I love driving these cars but I can't have an enjoyable experience. I don't recall any devs saying too much about these. I've tried every aggressive setting there is but I get taken out whatever line I take.

Boijorzee
02-02-2018, 13:07
Can someone film an AI race with these at Silverstone please as I'm despairing with the AI now. I love driving these cars but I can't have an enjoyable experience. I don't recall any devs saying too much about these. I've tried every aggressive setting there is but I get taken out whatever line I take.

I'll probably do a stream tonight. Can't promise a win though.

jimortality
02-02-2018, 13:22
I'll probably do a stream tonight. Can't promise a win though.

Thanks, not bothered about a win but there is something very off with the AI I think. 10 lap race, clear weather, AI 70 and aggression zero. I don't even think the aggression slider works for this car.

Richie Padalino
02-02-2018, 16:19
I've spent hours driving the Renault 3.5 in career, on full damage. It can be the most frustrating thing in the world, as the merest touch from the AI, and your front aero is at damage 45, especially when CrewChief is telling you the damage is fine, and to stay out, when you're losing 6 seconds a lap, haha :) So, I hear ya.

But when you get it all right, it's the bees knees. I have the AI set to 80, aggression set to 60. And my god, you have to be careful, especially at the start obviously. To be fair, a lot of the time, I end up ceding multiple positions, just to avoid contact. But once the race is in full flow, if you find a good passing spot on whatever track your on, and stick to just that spot, on every lap, I find that can work. At the very least.

Don't get me wrong I'm currently going nowhere fast in my career :) one sole victory the fruits of my labour. Its unbelievably tricky, but that's always more fun isn't it, and hopefully my racing will organically become cleaner because of the limitations I've decided on.

Anyway, I'm probably telling you loads of stuff you're already doing, or already know. Sorry if that's so.

Stick with it though, as the Renault 3.5 is one of the best. I love them anyway.

JuZ
02-02-2018, 17:23
I loved my time in Formula Renault but my race at Silverstone ended up with 3 wheels on my wagon...

freeon
02-02-2018, 18:04

The setup from the number 1 time might not always be the best for your. I'm often faster with setups from people that are not ranked number 1. I have had a few occasion that was the best setup I found for me but more often it's others. You should try a few. What most people seem to recommend are setups from drivers that are within a second of your times.

ShneebnaMRR108
02-02-2018, 18:14
Definitely try a few different set ups. Find one that feels stable "for you" then try to be consistent.

I have a hard time getting consistent results out the tire pressures, even with the suggested settings that were posted. 1.7/1.45 (24/21)

DECATUR PLAYA
02-02-2018, 18:30
I love driving this car but I can't win a race especially at Brands Hatch. I also tried to do a 30 lap race at Watkins Glen and I know that track is a beast for cars but again, I can't find an AI setting that suits the car. I'm only mediocre but I was wondering If there is a known issue with the AI and this car. I'm right down to 30-40 aggression and 50 - 60 AI level. Always start at the back and the aggression works well on the first corner but I can get maybe up to 15th place depending on ai pitting but I do seem to struggle and I'm practising really hard honest guv! :p Brands Hatch is a different beast again as the same ai settings and I can't get more than a few places. I'm using 25 AI and I'll keep practising but If anyone can help me improve with this combo, I would love you long time :o

I really love this car and it can be raced at any track. Its possible that the AI are just driving the car differently than you. This may sound stupid but to drive this car fast you have to drive it fast. What that means is the faster you drive this car into turns the better the aero package makes the car turn. If you drive the car into the turn to slow the car will not turn as good as it can turn. Try taking the turns a little faster to get the car to rotate better. This may help keep the AI off your back.

Boijorzee
02-02-2018, 19:51
Thanks, not bothered about a win but there is something very off with the AI I think. 10 lap race, clear weather, AI 70 and aggression zero. I don't even think the aggression slider works for this car.

Videos are up on my Youtube channel (Boijorzee) It was and interesting experience to say the least. Doing this with full damage was harrowing. But I managed a decent race in the end.