PDA

View Full Version : Weird car behaviour F488 GT3 - Tyre related (front hard, rear soft)

Max Torque
13-01-2018, 16:25
Hey guys, I played Multiplayer, Monza, GT3. I quaiified as 4th or 5th. I noticed that on Monza, the front tyres take all the punishment. After 3-4 qualifying laps with softs the rear tyres wear just fine, the front tyres lost 1/3. So my idea for the race (10 laps) was to put hard tyres on the front and soft tyre on the rear. The idea was to get early on the throttle which is crucial especially on Monza with its long straights and have front tyres that last ten laps without pit stop and therefore have some understeer due to more grip rear > front.

I finished last. The car was nearly undriveable, it had abysmal rear grip in the fast corners (Lesmos, Parabolica) and the faster chicane (slow chicanes were both fine). Turn-in was fine (though already a bit snappy), but mid-corner and track-out grip were a total disaster.

I changed nothing but the tyres and some additional fuel (which should improve grip). I cannot comprehend the behaviour of the car, it should at best understeer with that tyre combination. I cannot understand why changing from Soft/Soft to Hard/Soft leads to a massively oversteering car. It should be the other way around.

Keena
13-01-2018, 16:34
Hey guys, I played Multiplayer, Monza, GT3. I quaiified as 4th or 5th. I noticed that on Monza, the front tyres take all the punishment. After 3-4 qualifying laps with softs the rear tyres wear just fine, the front tyres lost 1/3. So my idea for the race (10 laps) was to put hard tyres on the front and soft tyre on the rear. The idea was to get early on the throttle which is crucial especially on Monza with its long straights and have front tyres that last ten laps without pit stop and therefore have some understeer due to more grip rear > front.

I finished last. The car was nearly undriveable, it had abysmal rear grip in the fast corners (Lesmos, Parabolica) and the faster chicane (slow chicanes were both fine). Turn-in was fine (though already a bit snappy), but mid-corner and track-out grip were a total disaster.

I changed nothing but the tyres and some additional fuel (which should improve grip). I cannot comprehend the behaviour of the car, it should at best understeer with that tyre combination. I cannot understand why changing from Soft/Soft to Hard/Soft leads to a massively oversteering car. It should be the other way around.

Did you try putting the tyres on the other way around to see if the effect was reversed? Also hard and soft compounds shouldn't be thought of as less grip more durable and more grip less durable. As far as I understand it, the compound is simply to enable operating windows to be achieved contingent on track temperature, so its perefectly possible they were working correctly, although without knowing the environmental conditions, I speculate.

leeroy98
13-01-2018, 22:35
Most MP races at monza are ran at high track temps and a 10 lap race will kill soft tires hence no grip in the corners put hards on all tires and you should be fine.

Max Torque
14-01-2018, 00:02
Most MP races at monza are ran at high track temps and a 10 lap race will kill soft tires hence no grip in the corners put hards on all tires and you should be fine.

1) Question: are the track temperatures in Q lower? If no, I do not see your point, because in that case, I should have bad rear grip in Q as well. But rear grip was great in Q. And the tyres were fine by the picture (the tyre OSD that shows wear). Front tyres still wore off faster. And I had no grip from the first lap on. I know what you want to say, but it does not fit into the picture.

2) Yeah, maybe it does work with "hard tyres everywhere". But under the given circumstances it would not be conclusive. If my front tyres wear down faster than my rear tyres and my rear tyres wear down slow enough to change to softs, then softs should be fine.

Mad Al
14-01-2018, 00:21
1) Question: are the track temperatures in Q lower? If no, I do not see your point, because in that case, I should have bad rear grip in Q as well. But rear grip was great in Q. And the tyres were fine by the picture (the tyre OSD that shows wear). Front tyres still wore off faster. And I had no grip from the first lap on. I know what you want to say, but it does not fit into the picture.

2) Yeah, maybe it does work with "hard tyres everywhere". But under the given circumstances it would not be conclusive. If my front tyres wear down faster than my rear tyres and my rear tyres wear down slow enough to change to softs, then softs should be fine.

top right in the pause screen has the ambient and track temps.. it's up to you to look and decide if it's too hot for softs.