PDA

View Full Version : Cheeky Request - VR Demo

Gav88888
18-01-2018, 15:38
Guys,

I honestly cannot decide between getting an XB1X, or a PC for VR with something like a GTX1070 installed as both have there plus and minus points, so, if I can be so cheeky and ask if any local PC gamers with VR would be willing to let me see what VR is like it would really be appreciated.

I'm in UK, Suffolk, close to Ipswich if anyone is around the area, if you are, drop me a PM.

Cheers

John Hargreaves
18-01-2018, 15:48
XB1X will be cheaper, but no VR. GTX1070 runs PC2 in VR really nicely, so you would be happy there, plus you would have access to all the other VR games and experiences. The whole PC gaming thing is a bit of a rabbit hole, because you will want a wheel, maybe a button box, then you will buy a better wheel later. Then when you try a flight sim in VR you will be so blown away that you will buy a joystick, then get really into it and buy a top end joystick. Then you will fly a helicopter in VR and be so blown away that you will buy some rudder pedals. Then the next gen graphics cards will come out in three months and, well, you see where I'm going with this. If you go down the PC gaming black hole you will love every minute of it, but prepare to be poorer, we all are :rolleyes:

Gav88888
18-01-2018, 15:59
Haha yeah I did think about flight sim's as well... The debate of XB1X vs PC is endless, so many posts about it and videos online etc, but before I can really make my mind up on VR or not I want to try VR for myself, its the only way to know for sure if I am making the right choice. You can't appreciate VR from watching videos online as ive often read.

TorTorden
18-01-2018, 16:49
There are far more expensive hobbies out there than pc simming.
Sure you can go bonkers and spend ludicrous amounts of money.

But just take the other madness of mine, Home Theaters.
Just my sound system is three times that of my SIM setup with vr and is considered fairly middling in cost.
And a $3k projector or tv is considered "mid range".

Others interests like mountain biking easily reach $2-3k for a bike, plus extra kit.
At most that bicycle will hold together for two seasons if you ride proper and since A you destroy it if you do it right, and B they need be fairly personalised to work right, resale values are tricky.

The clincher for me is frame rates and flexibility.
Pcars is some of the very few games on consoles that still aim for 60fps.
Virtually all other titles are aiming for 30fps or less.

Even though newer tv's might support a variable frame rate like freesync doesn't mean consoles are going to allow for higher fps, in fact reps from MS has expressed desire to use variable fps to make lower than 30 fps seem smooth.

As for a demo, perhaps some geographic details could help.
I don't mind letting someone try but this is an international forum, so huge possibility that we aren't in the same hemisphere, let alone in a driving distance. (nvm)

Mahjik
18-01-2018, 17:02
I cannot help with your request, but I do think you are going about it the right way. Actually experiencing VR yourself before investing is a great idea. For people, using VR can be a nauseating experience so it's "just not for them". The only way to know is to try it.

flowerdealer
18-01-2018, 17:12
Right now it's going to be difficult to build a PC with a gtx1070 for a reasonable amount of money. So that is the question, if you have enough disposable income, go with the PC, but I would wait for the current crypto craze to die down slightly. If not, I'm pretty sure Microsoft will come up with an Xbox One VR headset very soon, as it's a small leap to implement their current headset with it. However, Pcars 2 and many other racing games might not support it right away, or ever.

EV3RY
18-01-2018, 17:19
73 miles away, sorry.

Javaniceday
18-01-2018, 17:22
Guys,

I honestly cannot decide between getting an XB1X, or a PC for VR with something like a GTX1070 installed as both have there plus and minus points, so, if I can be so cheeky and ask if any local PC gamers with VR would be willing to let me see what VR is like it would really be appreciated.

I'm in Suffolk, close to Ipswich if anyone is around the area, if you are, drop me a PM.

Cheers

i hear you on that. When I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do VR, I did manage to get my hands on a head set with pCARS at work. Tried it out, sure it enough it was nauseating. I thought it wouldn't work. But I did notice it was getting better little by little, so that convinced me that if I stuck with it, little by little, I'd get used to it.

I was right.

In other word go the PC VR route.

Sum Dixon-Ear
18-01-2018, 17:22
Not sure if this is much use to you, but PC World are doing in-store VR demos.. maybe you could find something reasonably local - https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/vive-vr-682-commercial.html#demo

Vive also have a list of shops where you can book a demo - https://www.vive.com/uk/try-vive/

Edit : Oculus demos here as well - https://live.oculusvr.com/

TorTorden
18-01-2018, 17:39
Even if you don't go vr. A pc is the more flexible device. might need a little more managing but you can do far more with a pc than a console.

But if you just want something to plug in and go, a console is the cheaper simpler choice.
And contrary what myself and others of the "PC master race" might claim. There is nothing wrong with that.

Simerection
18-01-2018, 18:02
I'm running a GTX1070 with an Oculous Rift and it's awesome.

Gloomy
18-01-2018, 18:21
Pc is the way to go, you have a bunch of other sims available as well even if you don't like the vr aspect of it. Plus a lot more accessibility when it comes to external hardware/software and add-ons that consoles just don't support.
The only benefit you'll get out of the Xbox one x is cost, and maybe a few less technical headaches. Gpu prices are pretty outrageous right now, but if you shop around I'm sure you can find a good deal, but it'll still cost you quite a bit more than the console.

Yorke
18-01-2018, 20:06
I'm running a GTX1070 with an Oculous Rift and it's awesome.

Same here, I moved from Xbox to PC/GTX1070 and Oculus Rift, and the difference in feel is night and day. While a good monitor has better graphics, there is no replacement for being IN the game. A couple of things come to mind, the weather where I live can be pretty crappy and gloomy. I can setup an open wheel in Portimao on a beautiful day and I feel like I am there. Another strange thing that happens with VR, no matter what car I am in, seeing my VR hands on a VR steering wheel. I for some reason think like I am holding that wheel when the shape could be completely different from my race wheel. And lastly, being able to look around in a open wheel race car, is just awesome.

Vic Flange
18-01-2018, 20:18

Just my sound system is three times that of my SIM setup with vr and is considered fairly middling in cost.

Others interests like mountain biking easily reach $2-3k for a bike, plus extra kit.
At most that bicycle will hold together for two seasons if you ride proper and since A you destroy it if you do it right, and B they need be fairly personalised to work right, resale values are tricky.

Even though newer tv's might support a variable frame rate like freesync doesn't mean consoles are going to allow for higher fps, in fact reps from MS has expressed desire to use variable fps to make lower than 30 fps seem smooth.

I don't mind letting someone try but this is an international forum, so huge possibility that we aren't in the same hemisphere, let alone in a driving distance. (nvm)

Absolutely. I was undecided whether to go the PC route as I was starting from scratch so a decent system, monitor, keyboard and Rift was going to cost me 2k.
I had a think about my other hobby (collecting pinball machines) and thought to myself ‘I’ve just bought a 4K pinball and didn’t bat an eyelid. Just do it. ‘
Now I’m not made of money and have to work hard to pay for my toys but sometimes you just have to grasp the nettle.
I did and absolutely love PCars2 in VR. A fantastic game just became an outstanding game.

TheBaldReverend
18-01-2018, 20:56
I'm in the same situation but considering the move from Playstation.

Can anyone tell me how the Rift/Vive compare to the PSVR in terms of image clarity? The PSVR is good but the driving games' resolutions are too low marring the experience somewhat.

StreetSpeeder
18-01-2018, 21:08
This might be a non-issue with the Vive Pro coming out this quarter!..boasting a 78% increase in resolution.

I currently run a Vive with 1080Ti and Core I5-6600K. I'm not thrilled with my Headset clarity/resolution and am upgrading to an I7-7700K (today) and the Vive Pro, as soon as it hit the stores!

satco1066
18-01-2018, 23:33
wrong calculation.
78% more pixels.
37% more resolution

Gav88888
19-01-2018, 09:21

That is true, I was in Currys looking at TVs the weekend, and a nice big TV is like 2500 right now!!! I also do cycling, road and MTB and have spent tons on that, hence not wanting to spend quite as much on SIM racing as 2 having expensive hobbies soon adds up.

I'm in the UK :)

Gav88888
19-01-2018, 09:23
Right now it's going to be difficult to build a PC with a gtx1070 for a reasonable amount of money. So that is the question, if you have enough disposable income, go with the PC, but I would wait for the current crypto craze to die down slightly. If not, I'm pretty sure Microsoft will come up with an Xbox One VR headset very soon, as it's a small leap to implement their current headset with it. However, Pcars 2 and many other racing games might not support it right away, or ever.

Yeah I was reading about this crypto craze this morning about how hardware for PC is remaining fairly consistent because of this, so waiting a bit it's something I have considered.

Gav88888
19-01-2018, 09:25
Not sure if this is much use to you, but PC World are doing in-store VR demos.. maybe you could find something reasonably local - https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/vive-vr-682-commercial.html#demo

Vive also have a list of shops where you can book a demo - https://www.vive.com/uk/try-vive/

Edit : Oculus demos here as well - https://live.oculusvr.com/

I went to PCWorld the weekend as someone said about it, but they didn't have anything and are not sure when they will, but will check out the try the other links. Thanks.

Gav88888
19-01-2018, 09:29
Same here, I moved from Xbox to PC/GTX1070 and Oculus Rift, and the difference in feel is night and day. While a good monitor has better graphics, there is no replacement for being IN the game. A couple of things come to mind, the weather where I live can be pretty crappy and gloomy. I can setup an open wheel in Portimao on a beautiful day and I feel like I am there. Another strange thing that happens with VR, no matter what car I am in, seeing my VR hands on a VR steering wheel. I for some reason think like I am holding that wheel when the shape could be completely different from my race wheel. And lastly, being able to look around in a open wheel race car, is just awesome.

I'm curious, how are the graphics comparing the 2, do you get XB1 level graphics in VR or are they slightly better when running at least a 16 car grid on most tracks, or do you have to turn down the detail level etc?

Gav88888
19-01-2018, 09:31
This might be a non-issue with the Vive Pro coming out this quarter!..boasting a 78% increase in resolution.

I currently run a Vive with 1080Ti and Core I5-6600K. I'm not thrilled with my Headset clarity/resolution and am upgrading to an I7-7700K (today) and the Vive Pro, as soon as it hit the stores!

Silly question, but I assume with the Vive Pro having more pixels/resolution it means you can turn down the SS allowing for more FPS/better graphics, or leave it as is and get better clarity in the headset?

MaXyM
19-01-2018, 10:05
It's not the a silly question. It's in fact proper expectation.
Theoretically image provided by Vive Pro should be comparable to SS 0.3-0.4. In practice SS blurs image which is consequence of rescalling. On other hand such blured image might be perceived as better one.
One way or another, players who use SS0.3 or 0.4 will probably set SS to zero getting comparable visual result.

Difference in performance is still unknown. It should remain similar to SS 0.3-0.4 on Vive. I would expect even a bit better performance since there will be no need of rescaling frames). But if any, I wouldn't count on some huge gain.

Based on current information, I'm really looking forward for this upgrade to Vive.

hotak
19-01-2018, 10:27
from my experience on my (quite) old and crap PC

VR on lowest possible graphics settings and no AA >> monitor with high settings and AA

But you'll need some time to adapt: initially I was like "WTF, so low-res i cannot even tell the car model of the guy 30m ahead" and after a 30min session in Dirt rally i was getting a bit of nausea.
Now i cannot even play on a screen anymore, how was i able to play with souch a small FOV? You don't get any sense of speed or spatial awareness without VR.
Also it makes you appreciate things like how f***ing big a continental GT3 is compared to other cars or how small the caterham R620 is compared to cars in its class (you almost fear passing them).
The nausea is completely gone, i've never experienced it after about a week of playing in VR, the brain simply adapts to it.

That's to say that while a demo will make you understand what it's alla about, it won't really make you appreciate all the positives, you'll need some time to make the switch from screen to VR, but it's 100% worth it.

John Hargreaves
19-01-2018, 10:29
I'm curious, how are the graphics comparing the 2, do you get XB1 level graphics in VR or are they slightly better when running at least a 16 car grid on most tracks, or do you have to turn down the detail level etc?

XB1X on a big telly will look amazing, far better than the image in the rift, but what you gain in immersion is 'the thing' about VR. It captivates you in a way you never quite expected. Having said that, I do still race on the monitor when I just fancy a quick pick up and play.
Another thing is how good the 3-D trees work in VR. The difference isn't so apparent in 2-D, but flat trees in VR look terrible.

pippinfort
19-01-2018, 10:50
I wonder if these guys do pCars?

Great place to get a demo and maybe a fun day out.

Get there early enough and you can buy new PC and rift from scan on your way home.

https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/

Gav88888
19-01-2018, 13:47
It's not the a silly question. It's in fact proper expectation.
Theoretically image provided by Vive Pro should be comparable to SS 0.3-0.4. In practice SS blurs image which is consequence of rescalling. On other hand such blured image might be perceived as better one.
One way or another, players who use SS0.3 or 0.4 will probably set SS to zero getting comparable visual result.

Difference in performance is still unknown. It should remain similar to SS 0.3-0.4 on Vive. I would expect even a bit better performance since there will be no need of rescaling frames). But if any, I wouldn't count on some huge gain.

Based on current information, I'm really looking forward for this upgrade to Vive.

Thanks for that, I notice with the Rift people talk about using 1.0 - 1.5, does that mean its a worse headset requiring more SS to look better?

MaXyM
19-01-2018, 15:21
People use SS to extent allowed by their HW. It's obvious that with such low resolution (equal in both devices: Rift and Vive) there is a lot of aliasing. SS helps to fight against it. So, the bigger SS, the better.

But it's also power demanding which is a problem especially if you want to maintain specific framerate. While both devices generates the same aliasing and shimmering any owner is trying to set it to max but according to his preferences and abilities of his HW. I've heard that Rift software is a bit less demanding than Vive one. But I don't think it's kinda remarkable difference, otherwise Vive would be loosing position on a market.

Speaking about my previous post, I was mentioning SS 1.3-1.4 as it's similar in number of pixels to resolution offered by VivePro (resolution greater for about 37% comparing to Vive which is somewhere between 1.3 and 1.4)

TorTorden
19-01-2018, 16:23
Thanks for that, I notice with the Rift people talk about using 1.0 - 1.5, does that mean its a worse headset requiring more SS to look better?

No, quite the opposite, they have the better software implementation and reprojection methods.
So the rift gets higher FPS with the same settings than with the vive, I own both and from a rough guesstimate the rift gets a 15% almost 30% better performance than the vive.
Varies a great deal from game to game as well as Valve making efforts to improve steamvr.

Some choose to use this to up the supersampling, although going above 1.2 is something I wouldn't recommend unless you have a really beefy GPU, like a 1080-1080ti.

As soon as we get HMD's with better panels we will need less and less SS, in fact we might up AA and rather use downsampling to gain back some performance.

Gav88888
22-01-2018, 12:08
I guess one thing I am struggling with, with this whole PC VR thing, is what it looks like with the build/graphics settings I would use.

The only thing I can compare against is PC2 Demo on my laptop which has a 2GB GPU in it, basic stuff, but it runs the demo at 20fps with everything set to low/off, although that isn't too bad actually and runs ok given its only 20fps, but 16 cars was fine in the rain using the GT3s. It doesn't look as good as a XB1 but then I think that has a 4GB GPU in it.

Would it be fair to say that with VR you need roughly double the power to see the visuals as per single monitor?

For example, a 3GB GPU running single monitor to get the same graphics in VR you would need a 6GB GPU, as 2 screens in the headset?

Vic Flange
22-01-2018, 13:38
I guess one thing I am struggling with, with this whole PC VR thing, is what it looks like with the build/graphics settings I would use.

The only thing I can compare against is PC2 Demo on my laptop which has a 2GB GPU in it, basic stuff, but it runs the demo at 20fps with everything set to low/off, although that isn't too bad actually and runs ok given its only 20fps, but 16 cars was fine in the rain using the GT3s. It doesn't look as good as a XB1 but then I think that has a 4GB GPU in it.

Would it be fair to say that with VR you need roughly double the power to see the visuals as per single monitor?

For example, a 3GB GPU running single monitor to get the same graphics in VR you would need a 6GB GPU, as 2 screens in the headset?

It’s not quite like that. Essentially you should be hitting 90FPS in VR for it to be seemless smooth. So you you will have to compromise on subtle details. Now this sounds bad but what you have to bear in mind is that switching to VR is like going back to a CRT monitor. So with that in mind you can turn stuff down without really seeing the degrade in graphics quality that you would on a HD monitor. I can assure you that once you got it running nicely you wouldn’t give a damn about slightly lower grass detail etc.

Gav88888
22-01-2018, 13:43
Haha I'm sure I wouldn't, and little things like grass don't bother me so much as having large grids, cars that look like cars without jagged lines all over it, being able to see and read the braking marker boards, being able to complete career mode, mixed classes, doing day to night races, or wet to dry etc all in VR.

MaXyM
22-01-2018, 15:16
Actually comparison to CRT is not proper in any way. CRTs was more blury comparing to LCD which is not true in case of VR.
It's rather like returning to '90 gfx. A lot of apparent pixels and aliasing all around.
If you can ignore it, make used to it then it's great and gives another dimension to gaming (simracing).

Mad Al
22-01-2018, 18:42
Basically you are looking at the screen though a magnifying glass..

pippinfort
22-01-2018, 18:58
Have you ever watched this?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59708-How-do-they-do-that-(-GT3-cars-at-Red-Bull-Ring-GP-)&p=1457187&viewfull=1#post1457187

Cluck VR around RBR. I think it's a pretty good example of what you get.

Gav88888
23-01-2018, 07:47
Have you ever watched this?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59708-How-do-they-do-that-(-GT3-cars-at-Red-Bull-Ring-GP-)&p=1457187&viewfull=1#post1457187

Cluck VR around RBR. I think it's a pretty good example of what you get.

Cheers mate, that looks about the same as gaming on the XB1, but in VR, and that guy had a GTX980, and looking at 1080ti VR videos it looks more like XB1X :)

TorTorden
23-01-2018, 08:30
Cheers mate, that looks about the same as gaming on the XB1, but in VR, and that guy had a GTX980, and looking at 1080ti VR videos it looks more like XB1X :)

I don't really think that video is in vr honestly.
For instance his helmet shakes in response to the curves.
This is disabled in vr since it honestly feels as if you where having a stroke, unless he is on a 3dof motion rig or something.

Keep in mind all videos recorded off the live vr game play is not representative of what you see in hmd.
For starters it's often a 16:9 crop from the left panel.
Most taken from the very bottom, in vr what is practically the top third and to the right of the video frame is what is center and dead ahead in the hmd.

https://youtu.be/HzNiVIoatBM
Quick vid I recorded myself, don't mind the myriad of driving mistakes.
But I assure you even if you can barely see much apart from the car in the vid I hardly notice when playing.

Also graphics in vr becomes a very different thing than on 2d.
Doesn't really matter if you.cant get the latest notch on shaders.
Well it becomes a completely different game as well.
No other way to put it.

pa_pinkelman
23-01-2018, 09:38
Don't expect it to look like anything you see in the VR-gameplay video's on Youtube. It just doesn't look like that at all. Vr is a totally different beast. Describing what it looks like is totaly useless. VR is not about looks at all. It has to be experienced to fully understand what it is capable of. Changes are that you won't ever even consider going back to 2D racing once you have experienced racing in VR.
So finding someone to demo it for you is the best thing to do when you still are uncertain about it.

Gav88888
23-01-2018, 12:58
This is disabled in vr since it honestly feels as if you where having a stroke, unless he is on a 3dof motion rig or something.

Keep in mind all videos recorded off the live vr game play is not representative of what you see in hmd.
Most taken from the very bottom, in vr what is practically the top third and to the right of the video frame is what is center and dead ahead in the hmd.

But I assure you even if you can barely see much apart from the car in the vid I hardly notice when playing.

No other way to put it.

Haha love the vid, talking to turn your lights on and off looks awesome, esp the back chat she gave you haha :)

Regarding what you see, I thought what you saw on VR videos is what you saw in the helmet, but obviously duplicated and off centre a bit to make it 3D and with lower resolution due to the displays in the headset not matching what I have on my 4K monitor on my laptop for example..

I guess this is one of those things I am struggling with that I can't actually see what it's like, hence the post I guess :)

TorTorden
23-01-2018, 13:18
Haha love the vid, talking to turn your lights on and off looks awesome, esp the back chat she gave you haha :)

Regarding what you see, I thought what you saw on VR videos is what you saw in the helmet, but obviously duplicated and off centre a bit to make it 3D and with lower resolution due to the displays in the headset not matching what I have on my 4K monitor on my laptop for example..

I guess this is one of those things I am struggling with that I can't actually see what it's like, hence the post I guess :)
I use voice attack for most toggles, just set it up for keyboard binds.
Indeed you really need to see for yourself, cause I can swear the view from inside the HMD is far far far more impressive than what any test video I have seen later, even though it feels as if seeing a cartoony world through a set of FOV limiting goggles.

Those almost always seem to mostly achieve is making people nauseous since it's a camera strapped to my head with no stabilisation what so ever.
For instance my hands and wheel position is perfectly centered.

As a quick dirty mock up:
https://i.imgur.com/eJwM9Zr.png
The red circle is fairly what I consider center of my view point.
I have the same area as in the blue square on my right, and the green above.
In cars like the Caterham seven for instance this means in game I can clearly see the edge of my right wheel and how I position it on right hand corners, this mostly fails to come through in the video.

Sure there is a fair overlap between each eye as in RL.

The hud looks good since Pcars layers it directly over the mirrored window that becomes recorded.

Olijke Poffer
23-01-2018, 14:27

No other way to put it.

What are OBS setting you mentioned underneath your vid?

TorTorden
23-01-2018, 15:55
Think they where basic quick settings.
recording at 1080p 30fps.
Variable but rate and target rate at about 4Mb/s using the NVENC encoder.
60 fps is a little high on gpu overhead.
granted with the i7 8700k I could test one of the other encoder but haven't really bothered much about it since I can't take playing out of vr now, and the end result of recording vr is so lack luster. imo.

Besides it's not like ibhavr ANY twitch or YouTube type presence.
or presence irl either.

Gav88888
26-01-2018, 16:41
In case anyone wonders in the future, a VERY cheap way to experience PC2 in VR is using something like google cardboard and iVRy on iPhone.

It’s not a Rift but it allows you to experience it at a basic level and costs nothing if you have a smartphone and google cardboard which can also be made for free...

resmania
27-01-2018, 00:04
From my experience, Google Cardboard is noting like gaming VR headset.
I got my Oculus last week and when I fired up the tutorial thingy, I was blown away. It really felt like I was in the game.
You can't feel that from cardboard's narrow FoV.

Skev
28-01-2018, 14:45
Agreed. Cardboard is nothing like what you get in VR.
I bought my Rift when it launched and did so for racing and started with Project Cars. I've moved on to Project Cars 2 and even playing last night, it still wows me. There is nothing like racing in VR and will never race on a screen again.

It sounds like you need VR in your life and you're right. You're also right to ask to try it out as it is an investment. If you haven't tried it yet and 80 miles isn't too far, you're welcome to try mine.

Gav88888
28-01-2018, 15:05
So spent yesterday and today playing PC1 and AC in VR on this Maplin VR headset I got for 7.50, yeah it's cheap as anything and only has a 80 or 90 FOV, but I am loving it all the same. Its like driving with diving googles on with the black ring around the square screen, but my mate said the Rift is 110 FOV and massively different/better.

Even so, the experience of driving in VR is awesome, I spent 4hrs last night just driving round on my own on the track in various cars just checking them out, I even just sat in the 98T looking at the front wheel thinking I want to reach out and touch it haha, or looking down at the gearstick and lifting my real arm trying to move my VR arm out the way haha

But what really sold it for me was racing other cars, passing them and the size and being able to judge distance away and when you crash into them haha, its awesome, I want to try the full on VR experience...

Need to set aside some money for a 1080ti setup with Rift :)

Olijke Poffer
28-01-2018, 18:55
Need to set aside some money for a 1080ti setup with Rift :)

You wont regret it..

Skev
29-01-2018, 14:02
You wont regret it..

He's right!