PDA

View Full Version : Fanatec clubsport v3 pedal

z3r0cool77
19-01-2018, 02:56
Planning on getting a fanatec setup in a month or so and looking for info on the pedal mods. Perhaps someone can explain to me the difference between the loadcell, the brake performance kit and the damper kit. I was under the impression that the loadcell which comes on the v3 pedals means the brake is already pressure sensitive as opposed to travel based. How then do the addons effect this and which of the 2 do people generally prefer. Can both addons be combined and would you even want to? It seems to me like a one or the other option.

davekojo
19-01-2018, 03:33
From my understanding (I've only ever run the V3i s with the damper kit), the damper kit enhances the hydraulic feeling of the pedal with a little bit of resistance adjustment. The brake performance kit allows for a much wider range of resistance adjustment.

I would say get the v3's stock and if you find them too soft get the Brake Performance kit. If they feel too unrealistic get the damper kit.

Gloomy
19-01-2018, 04:08
I use them stock, but I've always planned on getting the brake kit. Just never really got around to it. They work good enough for me as is. But I'll eventually get around to it.

Here's a write up kind of explaining them.
He seems to think the brake kit is worth it and makes the damper kit a bit "redundant" in his words.

http://www.isrtv.com/fanatec/fanatec-clubsport-pedals-v3-brake-performance-kit-review/

wesker6664
19-01-2018, 07:21
Generally the brake pedal feeling of my V1 was way better. The "performance kit" is not only insanely priced, it's just crap IMO, it just shortens and stiffens the travel, and doesn't provide any realistic feel. Don't know about the damper kit, but it should in theory be a nice improvement...

Sankyo
19-01-2018, 07:26
The "performance kit" is not only insanely priced, it's just crap IMO, it just shortens and stiffens the travel, and doesn't provide any realistic feel.
Shortening the throw and stiffening is exactly what it's meant to do, and there's many people who think it's closer to race car brake pedal feel. It means you brake on pedal pressure instead of pedal movement. It's not for everyone for sure, so much was clear already, but declaring it crap and not realistic is definitely not everyone's opinion.

wesker6664
19-01-2018, 07:35
I put this sentence because your words are exactly what i read before buying and what led me to being so disappointed. I just want people to know what they do before spending 30€ + shipping on a few pieces of elastomere and a bottle of grease :p

Anyway i could be a little biased as i have constantly some problems with fanatec gear : my brake rumble motor is not working anymore, i sent my CSS for repair after just one year and had to pay more than 100€, plus i have to recalibrate the brake pedal every time i restart my pc, and very often the CSS looses calibration even though i have countlessly upgraded the firmware and reinstalled everything.

Invincible
19-01-2018, 07:38
Shortening the throw and stiffening is exactly what it's meant to do, and there's many people who think it's closer to race car brake pedal feel. It means you brake on pedal pressure instead of pedal movement. It's not for everyone for sure, so much was clear already, but declaring it crap and not realistic is definitely not everyone's opinion.

Tbh, I quite like it and I was able to mimic the brake pedal in stiffness and throw of my real car, which is fitted with braided stainless steel brake lines and has a much stiffer pedal with shorter throw that it was in stock.

MaximusN
19-01-2018, 07:42

I want that, but I think the adjustment of the brake pedal itself(twisting the 'knob' out to 4) is enough. And I agree default the travel is too long. But I bought the damper kit and I feel it only screws with my braking. Because it adds a damper that requires me to use force that is not used for braking(I thought the damper was acting on the same axis as the loadcell, but it's in parallel). And because it's a damper once the damper has let off pressure that force IS used for braking. So basically my initial brake force is lower than my end, all the while giving the same pressure with my foot. I think I'm going to take it off. :)

Sankyo
19-01-2018, 08:32
Anyway i could be a little biased as i have constantly some problems with fanatec gear : my brake rumble motor is not working anymore
Perhaps best to take this offline, but are your pedals still in warranty? Do you know whether it's the motor or the PCB not working anymore?

i sent my CSS for repair after just one year and had to pay more than 100€
That sounds a bit harsh, and not something that is normal in my experience.

plus i have to recalibrate the brake pedal every time i restart my pc
Not heard that one before, perhaps also take this offline.

and very often the CSS looses calibration even though i have countlessly upgraded the firmware and reinstalled everything.
Also for offline investigation/discussion. Sounds like an electronics issue. Did this start to happen soon after the repair?

wesker6664
19-01-2018, 08:45
I'll send you a PM when i have more time, for the moment i just deal with it (long time simracer used to compromises ^^). For the rumble motor i can say it's my fault, i accidentally cut the wire while fitting the performance kit, but although i perfectly reconnected the two parts of the cable it doesn't work anymore :(

wesker6664
19-01-2018, 08:50
I want that, but I think the adjustment of the brake pedal itself(twisting the 'knob' out to 4) is enough. And I agree default the travel is too long. But I bought the damper kit and I feel it only screws with my braking. Because it adds a damper that requires me to use force that is not used for braking(I thought the damper was acting on the same axis as the loadcell, but it's in parallel). And because it's a damper once the damper has let off pressure that force IS used for braking. So basically my initial brake force is lower than my end, all the while giving the same pressure with my foot. I think I'm going to take it off. :)
Do you mean that the damper kit requires more force ? I'd like to have a nearly "free" initial travel until the breaking point but if the damper kit adds too much resistance it could be exactly the opposite of what i'm after...

Audi75
19-01-2018, 08:52
I'm using the kit with medium compound on my pedals, I found they where a bit stiff at the beginning, but after some use I've now got a very "soft" and progressive feel to them, but still keeping the stiffness and short throw.

What this gives me, is a much better feel for the braking pressure needed.

Audi

MaximusN
19-01-2018, 09:14
Do you mean that the damper kit requires more force ? I'd like to have a nearly "free" initial travel until the breaking point but if the damper kit adds too much resistance it could be exactly the opposite of what i'm after...

Could be. It adds a damper(which it is) parallel to the axis of the brake(/loadcell). So this adds resistance which is not transmitted to the loadcell(it would if it would be in series). And being a damper, it only inhibits fast forces initially. So if you stab the brake pedal you are actually pushing against the damper(for the most part anyway). But if you sustain that force the damper will lesssen it's resistance and you start pushing the loadcell more. So in fact let's say you instantly give it 100N force. At first if will be mostly damper resistance but in the end the loadcell will take the full force.

And unless you've got air in your brakelines(or very flexible ones) a car doesn't do that IMHO. So if I compare my v3 with damper to my TH3Pa-Pro(or actually original T500 pedals) with insulation foam wedged between the brake pedal, I can brake with that a LOT more constantly and quick. So first thing I'm going to do now my 918 wheel is back from Fanatec is remove the damper. Second is finding out how to disable accelerator and brake rumble(Fanaleds, from what I've read). :)

Sum Dixon-Ear
19-01-2018, 09:52
I must say that the damper kit is not to my liking, it just slows the pedal action unneccessarily... I still have it fitted but turned down so far that it is ineffective... it's only on my pedals because I haven't got round to removing it yet.

The V3 brake is very, very good in stock trim, the resistance and throw are highly adjustable and it's easy to get a very nice feeling... however, my favourite brake setting ever was on the V1s with the old tuning kit installed. I had it set up for very short travel and low friction by swapping the steel piston, foam insert and changing the pivot point... it was superb, nailed my braking every time. I've not quite got there with the V3s in standard trim, so I have the performance kit waiting to be installed to try and replicate that almost hydraulic feel that I had on my V1s.

wesker6664
19-01-2018, 14:08
Understood, thanks to you guys i just saved 80Ä :yes:

z3r0cool77
19-01-2018, 15:41
2 pages by the time i get to check for responses. ;) Thanks for all the info, i think Iím just going to go with the performance kit. The damper seems like it might be ok for a realistic feel for older road cars but not something thats actually going to help me brake more consistantly.

Rodders
19-01-2018, 16:40
Spot on Z3r0 - I bought the damper and brake performance kit at the same time and returned the damper as the brake performance kit, in my opinion, makes the damper redundant. The performance kit transformed the brake feel and control. Much much more controllable and easier to modulate the brakes. Best upgrade for the V3 in fact an essential one in my eyes, such is the improvement in brake performance.

TBH I think Fanatec made it too good as I simply can't see the point in the damper kit if you have it.

MaximusN
19-01-2018, 16:50
Spot on Z3r0 - I bought the damper and brake performance kit at the same time and returned the damper as the brake performance kit, in my opinion, makes the damper redundant. The performance kit transformed the brake feel and control. Much much more controllable and easier to modulate the brakes. Best upgrade for the V3 in fact an essential one in my eyes, such is the improvement in brake performance.

TBH I think Fanatec made it too good as I simply can't see the point in the damper kit if you have it.

IMHO the whole idea of a damper parallel to the thing sensing force(either loadcell or classic methods) is weird. It presents you with a contraforce that with a constant amount of pressure will let you press it until it can go no more. So with even pressure you are going to move the pedal in at 1mm/s(for instance). But the parallel loadcell is getting pushed harder for every second you compress the damper, until the force you put on in is fully on the loadcell. So you are gradually building up braking force with the same amount of foot pressure. I don't know how anyone can brake consistent with that. I'm quite confident I am more constant with a non-loadcell brake with a squash ball or other mod.

Charger
19-01-2018, 17:50
I have the V3i's and I think the damper makes it a bit mushy, it's ok out of the box but I am sure it can be dialled in better, I will sell the damper and buy the performance kit I think.

peterCars
21-01-2018, 01:24
I like the short travel of the performance kit, not least because I have a pain issue and it's better for that, despite the harder pressing. It was too touchy to start with until I got the car settings and tyre pressure right.
be sure to consider manual calibration for brakes in the controller-fanatec setup.
(side note: I believe I have felt some rumble in the brakes with PCARS2, I might have to disconnect the accelerator vibrator to make sure it isn't that).

inthebagbud
02-02-2018, 07:40
I have recently moved to pc from Xbox and wondered is there any advantage to having the pedals connected separately to the PC.

With xbox the pedals had to be connected to the wheel but reading the Fanatec setup instructions again I notice you can connect wheel & pedals separately to a PC

Would be glad of any pointers on this point

Thankyou

Sankyo
02-02-2018, 07:44
I have recently moved to pc from Xbox and wondered is there any advantage to having the pedals connected separately to the PC.

With xbox the pedals had to be connected to the wheel but reading the Fanatec setup instructions again I notice you can connect wheel & pedals separately to a PC

Would be glad of any pointers on this point

Thankyou
I don't think that in practical terms there's any advantage anymore to connecting them separately. Pedal resolution used to be significantly different, but even then you'd be hard-pressed to find that it matters in your sim racing.

The only thing I can think of right now that if ever you'd want to update the firmware of the pedals, you'd have to unplug them from the wheel and plug them into a USB port and then afterwards back again.

inthebagbud
02-02-2018, 14:38
I don't think that in practical terms there's any advantage anymore to connecting them separately. Pedal resolution used to be significantly different, but even then you'd be hard-pressed to find that it matters in your sim racing.

The only thing I can think of right now that if ever you'd want to update the firmware of the pedals, you'd have to unplug them from the wheel and plug them into a USB port and then afterwards back again.

Thanks for the reply. I never considered firmware in relation to the pedals ; so I will have a look at that as they are on same firmware as when they where bought

Sankyo
02-02-2018, 16:04
Thanks for the reply. I never considered firmware in relation to the pedals ; so I will have a look at that as they are on same firmware as when they where bought

They probably are, pedal firmware doesn't change very often