PDA

View Full Version : Lobby pre-filterning

Atak Kat
19-01-2018, 13:09
No, this isn't about a request to have more/better filters we can choose for the lobbies.

But, I have noticed lately that I'm seeing a lot more lobbies that are with higher ranking. So, far less U100 lobbies, and much more with higher safety or skill rank.
Coincidentally, I recently have clawed my way to A, but I'm still struggling around 1400.

Is there some advanced filtering of the lobbies I see based on my current rank? Because it seems strange to me that all of a sudden I don't see many U lobbies anymore.
Honestly, I think so. If so, I would rather be able to see more lobbies and not have them pre-filtered for me. Or at least have the choice if I want that, or not. Refreshing the results doesn't really change much.

I struggle to see how there can be only 20-30 lobbies at peak European hours. Often I've gone on and there are 10-12? I kinda believe that the lobbies offered to you are being pre-filtered in some way, and I wonder if the way that is done is far too restrictive.

Side-note: it is beyond my comprehension why there are so many lobbies I can JOIN, that are already racing. It's at least 50% of the lobbies shown for me. Why? Is the number of players really so low that in order to find 20 lobbies the game needs to show me 50% of them that are already racing?

FxUK
19-01-2018, 16:10
On PC here, but over the last week or so, I have noticed a lot fewer lobbies exist, say at 9-11pm GMT there are 20-30 available, with two or three containing 15-25 people and the rest containing 1-2 people.. all in all, as an estimate 100 people populating the online portion.

Generally... its slim pickings at the moment, so much so that I actually found myself racing offline / AI the last few nights.

Also, out of those 20-30 lobbies:
* One or two are private (locked)
* 50% are in a race and whilst it may be considered a good idea to join these and wait.. they usually empty out once the race ends.
* One or two have a 120 min practice, qual and race (a bit too much for my liking)
* Three or four have rankings off and <5 players with people joining and leaving randomly and participating in these usually leads to 50% of players quitting the race early, leaving one or two people to finish the race with (may as well do time-trials)

The "you can't join with < 3 mins left" is a bit of a pain and frustrating, especially when the list says 4 mins remaining, when really it means.. you aren't getting into this one either. Let me join, let me sit at the back of the grid for race start, that is 4+ mins away after everybody finished their qualifying / sits on the pre-race screen waiting for almost 2 mins more.

According to steam charts http://steamcharts.com/app/378860#48h
Peak players is about 2,495 on PC, so unless everybody has decided to play offline, there must be more lobbies out there, surely?? I know its lower than "other similar games" which is a shame, but even so.

Atak Kat
20-01-2018, 07:48
I remembered this below, and have not seen any follow up to these comments in this (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58074-Multiplayer-on-PS4-dead) thread from the end of November.

The last time I looked there were over a hundred thousand people racing PS4 online. It might be linked to your location or time of day?

That sounds odd. Maybe we're filtering too much internally based on rankings. I'll look into it. Segmentation is good up to a point...

Is the magnitude of users online still directionally correct??? Were there later updates on this that I missed??

solocapers
20-01-2018, 08:19
I remembered this below, and have not seen any follow up to these comments in this (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58074-Multiplayer-on-PS4-dead) thread from the end of November.

Is the magnitude of users online still directionally correct??? Were there later updates on this that I missed??

If I were to hazard a guess the 100k quote was when the game first released (im actually surprised if thats true given peak concurrent players on steam was 6000) and it'll have fell off a cliff shortly after that. Especially when you look at the PC stats where this game has an equally large following. Its struggling to make 2000 players a day now - both on and offline.

Id be surprised if 1k people were racing online daily on the ps4 now. Probably the high hundreds at best.