PDA

View Full Version : New to sim racing advice needed

simRACER5
20-01-2018, 07:41
Hi Everyone

After trying Demo version I'm hooked on this game, I think that's the closes I will get to be able to have some fun with out trying the real thing but as most of us we will never have that chance anyway so I need to settle for sim racing, now some of you been playing this game for very long time and are very fast and looking at times I am way down, feels like I'm pushing the car as fast I can with out crashing, I have been playing on Hockenheim Classic GP with Porsche 911 GT3 R now mine best time was 2.30.135, just check online on leaderboard and someone manages 2:09.427, I run with low ABS assistant and auto gearbox everything else is turned of, still on stock car setup but how can you shave of nearly 21 sec of that time, feels like impossible think at this moment for me :D, is there some sort of online sim racing school that you can take part in to learn a bit of racing? mine biggest problem is with (chicane corners) or I think that is what is called anyway I need to slow the car right down otherwise I miss my entry point in to corner then things gets ugly, any advice how to master them???

If you can share any advice please do so. Thanks

simRACER5

DubAyyys
20-01-2018, 08:06
Practice practice practice. Watch racing techniques on youtube in your free time. Keep practicing and absorb as much as you can. Many of the fastest guys are very seasoned with their gear and sims.

Also, baseline setups aren't bad in the game persay but with good adjustments you'll shave off a couple more seconds.

I'm not one of the quickest but roughly after a year my venture into SIM racing I've definitely improved dramatically.

And yes there are virtual racing schools for SIM racing. I follow a SIM racing school on Facebook. Their website is https://virtualracingschool.com/academy/

I wouldn't recommend the site for just starting out. It's for the die hard attempting to be competitive at levels most of us aren't shooting for and comes with a price. But I wanted to share just how far SIM racing can go.

Vic Flange
20-01-2018, 08:17
Corner exit speed is critical at Classic Hockenheim. Look at braking a tad earlier so that you can settle the car to really maximise how fast you exit the first corner and the two chicanes.

simRACER5
20-01-2018, 08:35
Great thanks for advice, just had a quick look on that VRS website looks very interesting, also had a look on couple of youtube video how to learn new tracks and spot the braking points and corner entry so will give this a try, for some reason I though to be lot more easy or at least some players making look easy on there youtube channels, will have to stay on stock car setups for now to have more practice then once I progress can look in to more, some cars work better then others for me on stock setup.

simRACER5
20-01-2018, 08:43
Corner exit speed is critical at Classic Hockenheim. Look at braking a tad earlier so that you can settle the car to really maximise how fast you exit the first corner and the two chicanes.

You are bang on money, if I push the car bit more it unsettles the car and it will turn right but then you need to quickly turn the other way and that is where is going wrong for me, 2nd chicane I can manage with out loosing to much momentum then in to the 3rd one and that is again same problem if i don't slow right down I'm getting my exit wrong, oh well more practice needed, I chose this track as is fairly easy to learn and not to many corners to remember.

Cholton82
20-01-2018, 09:29
There is time to be found in so many aspects , For me I found time by making sure my FOV was as near as possible , by having a decent set of pedals so that my braking was more precise and controlled which in turn gains you confidence and better times , further to that making sure that the braking setup on the car is perfect as I think some don't realise the importance of this part of tuning . Also learning about different types of corners like compound corners and which ones to sacrifice to gain a better advantage and line through the next .
Racelogic have a guide that's a free download , Driver 61 has some good video's also.
This forum is a wealth of Knowledge with some very talented people with lots of good advice.
Welcome aboard

Atak Kat
20-01-2018, 09:47
Yeah, all what was said so far. To give you an idea, I've never driven that car or track (hockenheim yes, so I know the last bit, but never the straights/chicanes). I am definitely NOT at the top of any leaderboards. Not even close, but I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable in the cars. I thought i'd try it in time trial just to see if I could offer some suggestions.
- default stable setup I was at about 2:20 within 3 laps.
- with some basic setup change, I ended up at 2:14.5 after about 5 or 6 more laps.
- I see on the leaderboard some GT3 times in in the 2:07 range..... how they get there I don't know.

The chicanes are really key and personally I found it quite hard to find any sort of good braking reference for all of them. So it was easy to brake either too early or too late. And when you're going top speed at the end of those long straights, the braking point can make a big difference in lap time gained or lost. But as long as you make it through the first part then on the second part of each chicane you can really accelerate out and also take some of the curb. You need to get a good exit so that the speed carries all the way down the straight (then again hit the next braking point not too early or late....)

The second chicane in particular is where you can gain a lot of time. You can go through it really fast if you come into it at the right angle, and take a bit of each curb. It's almost not a chicane....it's kind a braking zone into the curve afterwards, just with a small kink in it. The only thing to watch is that you aren't exiting too fast for the right hand curve after the 2nd chicane. Otherwise there, you can gain a lot of time per lap.

The last section is also a bit tricky if you can't get the flow of it. I'm used to it from Hockenheim races, but there is a bit of a trick to finding the line through there (I'm sure I still haven't got it right).

Keep practicing. I'd suggest to try to find a good braking point reference for each chicane. I think if you can find that, you will make up a lot of time each lap.

hkraft300
20-01-2018, 09:54
Here's a bunch of good links:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?53371-How-to-Develop-Your-Racing-Skills&highlight=Develop+skills

Lots of study ahead :)

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking "I'm fast but the game is bugged/ I need better tunes/ hardware/ they're cheating" etc and sundry blaming every other factor. With that mindset, you'll never improve. So, welcome. You'll soon see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

simRACER5
20-01-2018, 10:12
Well just done 10 laps and best so far 2.18.047, so much better, slow in fast out chicanes, also changed to manual gearbox, still room to improve but feels lot better now for me.

WGIstation6a
20-01-2018, 10:57
Tracks with lots of long straights for me are the most difficult to be quick at. Braking points are so critical, and it’s easy to miss them while carrying a ton of speed. To me a couple good tracks to hone in the basics are Barcelona GP, and Silverstone GP. Both have a good variety of longer straight, faster sweepers, and tight technical sections. They also both have a large amount of runoff. That way if, and when you push it too hard you aren’t going to bin the car completely.

simRACER5
20-01-2018, 12:01
Thanks everyone, lots to learn now but I'm getting the basic slowly best time in Porshe 911 gt3r time (2.12.900) with a small tune, so decided to test something faster from GT 1 cars, toyota gt one 1998 (2.02.003), this is so addictive but I'm happy with those times, I know I can still do better when improve but love the game so far.

TorTorden
20-01-2018, 13:16
I don't consider myself much of a racer, more like a SIM driver if anything.

Of course I'd like to go fast but I don't really sweat it much, I have found a few cars I find really fun and focus on that and having fun.
The cars I like the least so far has to be the gt3's. They are just dull. That's entirely my personal preference. Not a comment on SMS or otherwise.

The one car I like the most is the Caterham seven.
It's not the fastest by far but it's a great drive in vr.

simRACER5
20-01-2018, 14:20
Well don't get me wrong I'm not just concentrated on times but it gives me a little push to drive bit better trying to learn corners/tracks ect., all this put together gives faster times, for someone who just started like me this game is great fun and that is how will remain, I would love to try VR in future but the financial out lay is huge so will have to wait and see.

Simerection
20-01-2018, 21:03
Well don't get me wrong I'm not just concentrated on times but it gives me a little push to drive bit better trying to learn corners/tracks ect., all this put together gives faster times, for someone who just started like me this game is great fun and that is how will remain, I would love to try VR in future but the financial out lay is huge so will have to wait and see.

Welcome and become one with your machine. You want to make love to the track.. not rape it. Practice practice and practice. Crank out a minimum of 500 laps per day if you've got the time. Don't just warm up for an hour and think, "Ok good.. I've got this" because with competition doing dumb sh*t around you your performance..and ultimately results will vary. You'll get shaken up.. you'll get mad.. you'll get depressed. It's only with days, months if not years of experience under your belt will you be able to just pop in a race and knock out a podium finish with serious competition around ya. Go hard or go home. Hundred upon hundreds of laps under your belt will help you because that's what most of those streamers have done.

Here's a little treat for ya. Nikki Thiim is an Iracing buddy of mine.. but first and foremost he races supersport in the real world for Aston Martin. He comes home and does sim streaming for whoever wants to watch. Actually, he would prefer to go full time streaming sims for you guys instead of racing pro as a career.

Anyway, here is a real life youtube of him from few days back when he was testing with Aston Martin at Yas Marina at night. He goes through the Aston Garage, pokes around the car a little then hangs around trackside while Ford, Porsche, Ferrari and his teammate Marco tear up the track flying past the pits. It's a glimpse into the world of a pro driver but at the same time allows us sim racers to psychologically bridge the gap. He does this stuff for all sim racers so that they can better understand what they are doing in the sim, what they should be feeling and how incredibly awesome everything is in relation to racing. It's guys like Nikki that provide input to sim developers to help them better match their product to the real thing. Be prepared though.. he's a little crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1vLchlVAnw

Edit: Listen close to the sound of that Porsche!

Vic Flange
21-01-2018, 07:04
It’s great to see you making progress ( and more importantly understanding what it is that is making you faster). Keep it up.
One tip though, don’t try VR until you are in a position to buy it. You won’t want to go back to a monitor after playing in VR. Trust me, I know.

BrainsBush
21-01-2018, 09:26
Indeed keep practicing a lot and learn the track, corners, brakepoints etc. Memorize by driving the track often. You already achieved some very nice improvements in such a short time!

I just gave this combo Hockenheim Classic-Porsche911 GTR a first try.
I already know the track because of some other runs with classic cars. So now I had to learn this car and its speed vs brakes. Couple of try out laps and then the serious work. 2:08 and still room for improvement.
And I am absolutely not a so called Alien racer. Most of the times when I am racing other hotlap challenges (Assetto...) my rank is somewhere in the middle. So see it as a stimulance: If I can do it everyone can :)

If you want I can upload a replay of this combo.

And yes VR is too addictive

davidt33
21-01-2018, 10:58
.....mine biggest problem is with (chicane corners) or I think that is what is called anyway I need to slow the car right down otherwise I miss my entry point in to corner then things gets ugly, any advice how to master them???

General rule of thumb in approaching and negotiating corners is approach from Outside>In (Apex)>Out....i.e. large arc. There are some variations depending but that's the general rule of thumb. Here's a link with visual illustration and explanations from one of the previous links posted for a better understanding.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/Misc/Racelogic-ebook-advanced-circuit-driving.pdf

simRACER5
21-01-2018, 11:33
Indeed keep practicing a lot and learn the track, corners, brakepoints etc. Memorize by driving the track often. You already achieved some very nice improvements in such a short time!

I just gave this combo Hockenheim Classic-Porsche911 GTR a first try.
I already know the track because of some other runs with classic cars. So now I had to learn this car and its speed vs brakes. Couple of try out laps and then the serious work. 2:08 and still room for improvement.
And I am absolutely not a so called Alien racer. Most of the times when I am racing other hotlap challenges (Assetto...) my rank is somewhere in the middle. So see it as a stimulance: If I can do it everyone can :)

If you want I can upload a replay of this combo.

And yes VR is too addictive

Yes please if you can upload reply I will have a look, I am happy with my results so far, never in my life I played sim racing and never with steering wheel, so at first felt very strange, I know few places where I make mistakes but is all in my head now and very hard to put this to game but I will keep trying.

cpcdem
21-01-2018, 11:48
Isn't it Hockenheim classic a very bad track for improving driving skills though? I mean it is a long track, where most of the time you are just staying there full throttle, and there are very few turns when you can practice and improve your skills. And between them you have enough time for a coffee or something :)
In my opinion it's waaaaay better practicing (and comparing yourself with others) in the normal Hockenheim track. Or in Barcelona, Algarve, Spa, Silverstone, Nurburgring etc. You will also have plenty more ghosts to select for in time trial mode for those tracks.

BrainsBush
21-01-2018, 12:07
Yes please if you can upload reply I will have a look, I am happy with my results so far, never in my life I played sim racing and never with steering wheel, so at first felt very strange, I know few places where I make mistakes but is all in my head now and very hard to put this to game but I will keep trying.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZllqVfKmEc&feature=youtu.be

simRACER5
21-01-2018, 13:20
This looks lot smother then mine, first chicane your car transition from right to left looks more stable then mine when I go back on power the car feels like it wants to spin out, 2nd chicane just notice that you cut the right hand bend slightly on to grass to position the car better before you go in to chicane, also 3rd chicane you keep in car inside them apex( red/white stuff) if that's the right term where I clip mine with left wheel going in to chicane, last section of track looks nearly the same to me.

Also notice you don't seems to lock up as much as me when braking, I'm running only Low ABS with out TC.

This is great help to see how it should be done and I can practice with a bit of change and see what the end result will be.

simRACER5
21-01-2018, 13:24
Isn't it Hockenheim classic a very bad track for improving driving skills though? I mean it is a long track, where most of the time you are just staying there full throttle, and there are very few turns when you can practice and improve your skills. And between them you have enough time for a coffee or something :)
In my opinion it's waaaaay better practicing (and comparing yourself with others) in the normal Hockenheim track. Or in Barcelona, Algarve, Spa, Silverstone, Nurburgring etc. You will also have plenty more ghosts to select for in time trial mode for those tracks.

Well you might be right about the long straight and coffee, I started on this as feels lot easy to try to learn the principal of corner entry ect., is no point for me yet to go on to xx amount of different corners track as I just won't remember most of them by the time I get round, give me few moths and will get there,need to start somewhere ;)

cpcdem
21-01-2018, 13:36
Well you might be right about the long straight and coffee, I started on this as feels lot easy to try to learn the principal of corner entry ect., is no point for me yet to go on to xx amount of different corners track as I just won't remember most of them by the time I get round, give me few moths and will get there,need to start somewhere ;)

Yeah, but I still think it's a lot better to start somewhere else :)
After you run 20 laps in any track, you will learn the corners. I mean learn the layout, it will require much more effort to learn how to go fast though them. But the much more variance in corner types that other tracks have and the by far larger frequency of corners compared to straights, will make you learn and improve your skill a lot faster than driving in a very special kind of track as the one you do now. Just my personal opinion of course!

BrainsBush
21-01-2018, 13:37
This looks lot smother then mine, first chicane your car transition from right to left looks more stable then mine when I go back on power the car feels like it wants to spin out, 2nd chicane just notice that you cut the right hand bend slightly on to grass to position the car better before you go in to chicane, also 3rd chicane you keep in car inside them apex( red/white stuff) if that's the right term where I clip mine with left wheel going in to chicane, last section of track looks nearly the same to me.

Also notice you don't seems to lock up as much as me when braking, I'm running only Low ABS with out TC.

This is great help to see how it should be done and I can practice with a bit of change and see what the end result will be.

I use default setup 'stable' and also ABS low and TC off. First chicane you really feel the car weight move from side-to-side and braking before each chicane is a combi of footbrake and engine brake so the wheels don't lock up each time.

morpwr
21-01-2018, 13:38

Try the slower cars like the formula rookie or some other lower hp car. If you learn these the higher hp cars will be easier to pick up faster. The slower/low hp cars teach you to carry corner speed and get the corners right because you don't have the hp to make up for slowing the car too much entering it. Silverstone and the formula rookie is a good combination of high and low speed corners to practice.

HockeyNick30
21-01-2018, 14:12
That was some great insight to the real world of racing! That would be my dream job just being around the paddock like that. Thanks for the post!

HockeyNick30
21-01-2018, 14:13
Welcome and become one with your machine. You want to make love to the track.. not rape it. Practice practice and practice. Crank out a minimum of 500 laps per day if you've got the time. Don't just warm up for an hour and think, "Ok good.. I've got this" because with competition doing dumb sh*t around you your performance..and ultimately results will vary. You'll get shaken up.. you'll get mad.. you'll get depressed. It's only with days, months if not years of experience under your belt will you be able to just pop in a race and knock out a podium finish with serious competition around ya. Go hard or go home. Hundred upon hundreds of laps under your belt will help you because that's what most of those streamers have done.

Here's a little treat for ya. Nikki Thiim is an Iracing buddy of mine.. but first and foremost he races supersport in the real world for Aston Martin. He comes home and does sim streaming for whoever wants to watch. Actually, he would prefer to go full time streaming sims for you guys instead of racing pro as a career.

Anyway, here is a real life youtube of him from few days back when he was testing with Aston Martin at Yas Marina at night. He goes through the Aston Garage, pokes around the car a little then hangs around trackside while Ford, Porsche, Ferrari and his teammate Marco tear up the track flying past the pits. It's a glimpse into the world of a pro driver but at the same time allows us sim racers to psychologically bridge the gap. He does this stuff for all sim racers so that they can better understand what they are doing in the sim, what they should be feeling and how incredibly awesome everything is in relation to racing. It's guys like Nikki that provide input to sim developers to help them better match their product to the real thing. Be prepared though.. he's a little crazy.

That was some great insight to the real world of racing! That would be my dream job just being around the paddock like that. Thanks for the post!

BrainsBush
21-01-2018, 15:15
Did just another quick run and afterwards caputered the replay in chase cam (in VR - and this view makes me dizzy) . In comparison with the previous upload in cockpit view you now can better see the car on track and especially in the corners. As you will notice still room for improvement --> Two corners way too fast and too wide...but on the positive side: a time improvement with basic setup :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KaeLGFE7qQ&feature=youtu.be

simRACER5
21-01-2018, 15:35
Did just another quick run and afterwards caputered the replay in chase cam (in VR - and this view makes me dizzy) . In comparison with the previous upload in cockpit view you now can better see the car on track and especially in the corners. As you will notice still room for improvement --> Two corners way too fast and too wide...but on the positive side: a time improvement with basic setup :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KaeLGFE7qQ&feature=youtu.be

Now you just showing off :D:D specially your VR ;), looks good after watching your video managed to get 2.11.719 so it was great help still don't know where I'm going to shake of the rest of time but will give a bit of rest trying to chase that time and start to enjoy other aspects of that game. Maybe will learn something along the way and see if I can beat this time in couple of months to see if I improved.

Once again thanks for both video

Jetsun
21-01-2018, 15:43
Silverstone and the formula rookie is a good combination of high and low speed corners to practice.
I've just gave it a shot, looks perfect than you!

simRACER5
21-01-2018, 15:48

That sound of that Porsche wow, every time it went past nearly blown my ear drums off, I did learn to turn volume down a bit, oh the best comment " this is the car to beat this year pointing at Nissan Pathfinder lol", very cool job to have.

Great video thanks

morpwr
22-01-2018, 11:02
I've just gave it a shot, looks perfect than you!

Good track with the rookie to learn drafting too. Its very noticeable on the long straight.