PDA

View Full Version : HUD engine symbol?

Mexel75
20-01-2018, 12:08
Hi,

On the HUD there is an engine symbol, with a number in it. What does that mean, and how should I use it to adjust my my setup and my driving? In the speedometer there is a temperture reading of the engine. What does the number in the engine symbol really tell me, that the temperature doesn't?

Aile_Bleue
20-01-2018, 12:14
It's the percentage of damages on the engine ;D

Zaskarspants
20-01-2018, 12:18
The number is a damage indicator for the engine and transmission.

If the engine temp is too high you can get engine damage, or if you over rev, run high boost ( some cars). Some cars are more fragile than others.

I think i also got engine damage a few times from bashing the bottom of the car on sausage strips.

edit - beaten to it ;-)

Mexel75
20-01-2018, 12:19
Ok. But at which level does it start to effect the performance? And what causes it to rise? My setup, my driving?

Mexel75
20-01-2018, 12:19
The number is a damage indicator for the engine and transmission.

If the engine temp is too high you can get engine damage, or if you over rev, run high boost ( some cars). Some cars are more fragile than others.

I think i also got engine damage a few times from bashing the bottom of the car on sausage strips.

edit - beaten to it ;-)

Ah ok, Thanks!

Zaskarspants
20-01-2018, 12:23
Also, although my experience of pit stops is limited, just getting into that bit of the game before going online, I think most damages to the engine can be fixed in the pits but this may take a long time.

Sarcross
20-01-2018, 15:39
Essentially all damage can be fixed in a pitstop but expect to sit there for a few minutes. I've limped back on 3 wheels and had the entire car fixed. I recommend changing your pitstop strategy to only fix aero otherwise the you end up hanging around longer than needed.

I would say that engine damage doesn't really start to affect performance until around 30% and I say that because when your aero damage rises to around that point your engineer gets on the radio and mentions it or when your suspension damage gets around that level they trigger a pitstop. What causes it? Excessive engine temps - if you close your radiator openings you can overheat. I leave those at the default and have maybe only gotten 5-10% over the course of a 1.5 hour race in Dubai starting at 4PM. Obviously you could open the radiator for safety but unless you're running 6, 12, 24 hour races there probably isn't much reason to. Another way is through heavy impacts. Going head first into a tire barrier or another car can inflict damage, then subsequent smaller impacts will start inflicting damage as well. In the 911 it works the same way although with rear impacts. I've had faster traffic get into the back of me and cause engine damage.

Quite simply don't worry about it that much if you're not running races that are several hours long. Be more concerned about minimizing aero and suspension damage.

MaximusN
20-01-2018, 16:01
What causes it? Excessive engine temps - if you close your radiator openings you can overheat.
In some cars also high revs when you have high boost f.i. the Lotus 98T. Running 100% boost: if you're not properly lifting you'll have killed the engine even before it reaches critical temps :P

Sarcross
20-01-2018, 16:55
In some cars also high revs when you have high boost f.i. the Lotus 98T. Running 100% boost: if you're not properly lifting you'll have killed the engine even before it reaches critical temps :P
I knew I was forgetting to mention high revs, and that was the main thing I wanted to say! I stay away from the turbo cars, I just can't control them when they come on boost (pad user). I struggled through the invitations in Project CARS and things were no different with Project CARS 2.