PDA

View Full Version : Boss 302R1 GT4

awaite85
25-01-2018, 00:09
Anyone else having trouble driving this car? No matter what I adjust, the car still wants to spin mid corner, or coming out of a corner. Just when I thought I had the hang of setups, I can't seem to tame this stang. Any help is appreciated!

bmanic
25-01-2018, 00:35
Try the 'instant newbie fix' which is:

Toe at the front to something huge like -0.5 and then set Toe at the rear to something huge like +0.8.

Now it should drive very differently and be almost impossible to spin unless you mash the throttle.

Another newbie fix:

Set front Camber to a much smaller value than the rear.

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 01:04
Anyone else having trouble driving this car? No matter what I adjust, the car still wants to spin mid corner, or coming out of a corner. Just when I thought I had the hang of setups, I can't seem to tame this stang. Any help is appreciated!

Hi awaite85, as you probably already know the rear toe on the 302R isn't adjustable., neither is the rear camber.

Search here for a setup I can get for you to try if you want. http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1731699995&vehicle=1111049682

Here is Tailgater's damper and LSD from a Long Beach run, if you would like to try some settings, notice he has reduced the front ARB.
Another Damper possibility is this with reduced camber, arb and track bar.

bmanic
25-01-2018, 01:19
Aww crap.. yeah, if neither toe nor camber is adjustable it gets a lot more tricky. Then it's down to the ordinary stuff like ARB and springs. Can't "massage" the setup as effectively that way though.

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 01:32
Aww crap.. yeah, if neither toe nor camber is adjustable it gets a lot more tricky. Then it's down to the ordinary stuff like ARB and springs. Can't "massage" the setup as effectively that way though.

Yeah, this car is a PITA, there are much better GT4s to chose from. Even the Mustang RTR GT4 is easier than the 302R.

Visceral_Syn
25-01-2018, 01:45
Perhaps yawl should know the S197 Mustang has a solid rear axle, while the S550 Mustang has a independent rear suspension. The Boss 302 is a S197, and the RTR is a S550...

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 02:32
Perhaps yawl should know the S197 Mustang has a solid rear axle, while the S550 Mustang has a independent rear suspension. The Boss 302 is a S197, and the RTR is a S550...

Yep, but something happened to the 302 when it came to PC2. In PC1 I could drive it to an equal time at most tracks to the AM Vantage GT4. Now it is a pain. What do you think is making it so difficult to drive?

poirqc
25-01-2018, 02:46
Yeah, it's also something i'm interested in.

It break my heart that the 302 isn't as competitive right now. With the default loose setup, i can't be competitive. If i try to tune the setup(i'm not good), i always end up with something worst in a specific thing :(

I'm trying to tune to sugo, since it's a track with long bends and prone to front tire burning.

rich1e I
25-01-2018, 13:46
I think if you keep spinning on corner exit diff settings should be the first thing you want to adjust, so try increasing power ramp angle a bit.

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 14:56
I think if you keep spinning on corner exit diff settings should be the first thing you want to adjust, so try increasing power ramp angle a bit.

Hi rich1e I, the LSD for this car is the combination Geared and Clutch, the ramps are at 90 but the geared ratios both are at 3.0. I quit running the combination LSD myself so are you recommending going with the Clutch only as well? Or are you wanting to suggest just changing the Bias Ratio Power on the Geared LSD to something like 5.0? Would you happen to have an Clutch LSD setup you have run with the 302R to share or are just wanting someone else to try it?

like this?
or this?

rich1e I
25-01-2018, 17:23
Hi rich1e I, the LSD for this car is the combination Geared and Clutch, the ramps are at 90 but the geared ratios both are at 3.0. I quit running the combination LSD myself so are you recommending going with the Clutch only as well? Or are you wanting to suggest just changing the Bias Ratio Power on the Geared LSD to something like 5.0? Would you happen to have an Clutch LSD setup you have run with the 302R to share or are just wanting someone else to try it?

Hi blinkngone, I haven't spent much time driving the 302R as my pick would be the RTR, so I didn't even know both Geared and Clutch LSD were available on default and I don't have a setup for it. It'd be awesome if we only had the options available that the RL car also had and as I'm not going to research every single car I'm only using Clutch LSD. So yeah, I'd turn Geared LSD off, add a few clutches and decrease power ramp angle to maybe 50 or 55, that should be fine.

awaite85
25-01-2018, 17:25
Appreciate the responses everyone. I love the RTR too, just want to get this one handling. Yes i also know there are other gt4's, ford is my manufacturer, thank you.

awaite85
25-01-2018, 17:35
Hi awaite85, as you probably already know the rear toe on the 302R isn't adjustable., neither is the rear camber.

Search here for a setup I can get for you to try if you want. http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1731699995&vehicle=1111049682

Here is Tailgater's damper and LSD from a Long Beach run, if you would like to try some settings, notice he has reduced the front ARB.
Another Damper possibility is this with reduced camber, arb and track bar.

Those settings at the bottom helped A LOT guys.

V3nom
25-01-2018, 17:37
Please do keep the conversation going! I got a league race on saturday in this car on laguna seca. I am starting to hate mustangs slowly but surely. :rolleyes:

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 18:01
Those settings at the bottom helped A LOT guys.

Hey awaite85, the damper settings from Attacment 249082? Those were mine from an old Silverstone National run before the patch 3.0. I guess you are not on PC, I have searched dozens of setups for the 302R and everyone is using the combo Geared/Clutch very time consuming to load check, load check. I found an RTR that turned off the Clutch LSD and ran the Geared but even at that most of the RTR runs are made with the Combo. How about trying just the Clutch LSD?

poirqc
25-01-2018, 18:09
I've messed with mine yesterday, i'm trying to build something that won't cook the front tires when going thru long bends. Another point is to get stability when hard braking into a corner.

My right anckle is messed and i can't really heel toe. So i need to adjust the diffs so that slipping the clutch doesn't unsetle the car too much.

I'm doing the setups in TT, but i'm not really focused on ultimate time. It's more about getting a race setup. It can work somewhat well with the ghosts.

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 18:17
Please do keep the conversation going! I got a league race on saturday in this car on laguna seca. I am starting to hate mustangs slowly but surely. :rolleyes:

Hey V3nom, on PC they are basically running Default Loose tunes. They are running Hard Tires at Laguna Seca, the best run is 1:31.179. Hey, who are the sadomasochists selecting the car/tracks for your league?

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 18:21
I've messed with mine yesterday, i'm trying to build something that won't cook the front tires when going thru long bends. Another point is to get stability when hard braking into a corner.

My right anckle is messed and i can't really heel toe. So i need to adjust the diffs so that slipping the clutch doesn't unsetle the car too much.

I'm doing the setups in TT, but i'm not really focused on ultimate time. It's more about getting a race setup. It can work somewhat well with the ghosts.

Hi poirqc, sorry your ankle is messed up. I can't drive road courses anymore so I can't help test. Could you try working on the Clutch LSD and turn off the Geared if you have time?

Also, most of the runs are using Engine Braking at 4 which is Default Loose, have you tried running the Stable Engine Braking number of 6? 4 may be too much for those having trouble with spinning. Another possibility is try reducing rear slow bump from 4800, the bump transition is locked. The bump Stops are 25 all around, someone could try reducing these to 15 and let us know what happens.

V3nom
25-01-2018, 18:35
I laughed so hard at your reply blink! :D
The answer: "One Scotsman and one Cornishman"
Crazy people man. ^^
Anyway the weather is always synced to the real weather forecast 1 week before the race, so last saturday it was a rainy day on Oschersleben in the mustang. Fun uh? :D
Actually the first 2 races should be a bit hard and then it's gonna be ok I hope.
Here are the cars and tracks for our Ford vs BMW team championship just as a fun fact:

Road E: 1M Coupe - Mustang GT (Oschersleben(A Course))
GT4: E92 M3 GT4 - Mustang Boss 302R1 (Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca)
Group 5: 320 Turbo - Capri Zakspeed (Road America)
GTE: M6 GTLM - GT LM GTE (Nürburgring Combined)

These are still very fun races I just had the "bad luck" to get randomized in the Fords. ^^

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 20:06
I laughed so hard at your reply blink! :D
The answer: "One Scotsman and one Cornishman"
Crazy people man. ^^
Anyway the weather is always synced to the real weather forecast 1 week before the race, so last saturday it was a rainy day on Oschersleben in the mustang. Fun uh? :D
Actually the first 2 races should be a bit hard and then it's gonna be ok I hope.
Here are the cars and tracks for our Ford vs BMW team championship just as a fun fact:

Road E: 1M Coupe - Mustang GT (Oschersleben(A Course))
GT4: E92 M3 GT4 - Mustang Boss 302R1 (Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca)
Group 5: 320 Turbo - Capri Zakspeed (Road America)
GTE: M6 GTLM - GT LM GTE (Nürburgring Combined)

These are still very fun races I just had the "bad luck" to get randomized in the Fords. ^^

Ok V3nom, there is a 2:08.659 for the BMW 320 Turbo an a 2:09.780 for the Zakspeed Ford Capri at Road America.

Nothing since the patch(just an 8:50.800) for the BMW M6 GTLM at the Nurburgring Combined. Ford GT GTE there is a 8:16.939. Of course there are faster pre-patch setups but the Ford is still possessing the fastest time here at 8:06.861 so you may have finally lucked out with the Ford.:D Let me know if you are interested in any setups .
?

V3nom
25-01-2018, 20:37
Sure mate thanks a lot! I'll probably get back to you for the last race in the Ford GT GTE.
I can't take part in the 3rd race sadly.
The combined nürburgring in the GTE's will be insane probably. :D

rich1e I
25-01-2018, 23:08
So I did a couple of laps on Laguna Seca with the 302R using Clutch LSD only (power ramp 50/ coast ramp 35ish) and it's not too bad. A bit tail happy but not too bad. Maybe go up to 55 power ramp and 14 or 15% TCS. Only problem is the front brakes, they heat up too much, maybe because of thr weight bias being at 54/46 and you can't adjust them towards the rear, so you have to open up front brake ducts up to 85 maybe 90%, rear brake ducts 25 or 30% and maybe also radiator to 85/90% and see how it goes. Front tyre pressures increase also to much compared to the rear as a consequence. I'd start with 1.38 front and rear (cold, hard tyres) and see where the pressures are after a few laps.

V3nom
25-01-2018, 23:18
Geez thanks a lot man! :D
I'll only be able to try it out on saturday. Isn't 15% to much traction control? From what I've read 1% = max TC and 100% deactivated TC.
When you say that you can't adjust the bias more to the rear is it because of a restriction or because the car would spin around at every braking?

poirqc
26-01-2018, 00:33
So I did a couple of laps on Laguna Seca with the 302R using Clutch LSD only (power ramp 50/ coast ramp 35ish) and it's not too bad. A bit tail happy but not too bad. Maybe go up to 55 power ramp and 14 or 15% TCS. Only problem is the front brakes, they heat up too much, maybe because of thr weight bias being at 54/46 and you can't adjust them towards the rear, so you have to open up front brake ducts up to 85 maybe 90%, rear brake ducts 25 or 30% and maybe also radiator to 85/90% and see how it goes. Front tyre pressures increase also to much compared to the rear as a consequence. I'd start with 1.38 front and rear (cold, hard tyres) and see where the pressures are after a few laps.

Lats pressure I had was 1.40 Front\Rear cold hard. It hovered around 1.8 hot, so it's in the ball park.

blinkngone
26-01-2018, 00:56
I'll only be able to try it out on saturday. Isn't 15% to much traction control? From what I've read 1% = max TC and 100% deactivated TC.
When you say that you can't adjust the bias more to the rear is it because of a restriction or because the car would spin around at every braking?
The 54/46 is the weight distribution, you can't get it any closer to 50/50. Brake bias is adjustable but too much toward the rear and you will have problems locking up at corner entry, much toward the rear as you can manage without locking the rears is best.

blinkngone
26-01-2018, 01:45
Attached is a Damper setup if anyone would like to try it, most people are just running Default Damper settings.

poirqc
26-01-2018, 03:33
Hi poirqc, sorry your ankle is messed up. I can't drive road courses anymore so I can't help test. Could you try working on the Clutch LSD and turn off the Geared if you have time?

Also, most of the runs are using Engine Braking at 4 which is Default Loose, have you tried running the Stable Engine Braking number of 6? 4 may be too much for those having trouble with spinning. Another possibility is try reducing rear slow bump from 4800, the bump transition is locked. The bump Stops are 25 all around, someone could try reducing these to 15 and let us know what happens.

So i turned off the geared LSD and played with the clutch one. Seems like the 302 likes a low preload and low coast and power angles. I lowered Steering Ratio a tiny bit and the car can really be controlled with the trottle.

Right now, the outer front tire only eat up a bit in the fastest and longest bends. Not perfect, but getting there. I TT'ed at sugo*. The cars doesn't seems to be in the same league as the faster GT4, but it's manageable.

I'm eager to test your dampers. I'm really bad at those. But my feeling is that the default one could be improved. They're not bad, but still...

I'll check that on my next session.

* Forget about my time in TT right now, i did that with a true TT setup. But it was burning my tires.

rich1e I
26-01-2018, 13:30

You're welcome. It was an opportunity to try this car after the latest patch. At least I know now that I definitely won't use it xD

The 54/46 is the weight distribution, you can't get it any closer to 50/50. Brake bias is adjustable but too much toward the rear and you will have problems locking up at corner entry, much toward the rear as you can manage without locking the rears is best.

I didn't mention brake bias because they're already - at least in my view - far enough to the rear. Haven't tried a 51/49 or even 50/50 because I guess the car will be too unstable under braking.

poirqc
27-01-2018, 04:04
Attached is a Damper setup if anyone would like to try it, most people are just running Default Damper settings.

Tried them i bit tonigh, and i'm not sure they dialed with my driving style. Might need more time with them.

blinkngone
27-01-2018, 10:29
Tried them i bit tonigh, and i'm not sure they dialed with my driving style. Might need more time with them.

Hi, I have searched everywhere and no one is adjusting the dampers so I gave it another shot thinking maybe more slow bump on the front would change the rotation. I could only manage the outlap before my arms and legs quit but I picked up 3 tenths over my previous PB. Also worked on the Clutch LSD.

V3nom
27-01-2018, 11:30
Great work blink thanks man! I'll give it a go in a couple of hours. I'll make another post in 2 minutes with a setup from a very fast guy out of my league. It's for this car at Laguna seca.(racedate: today)
This guy is running insane 1:31.1.

V3nom
27-01-2018, 11:37
I have no clue what he has changed from the default btw.
The setups is actually a slightly tweaked setup from what this guy did:

https://youtu.be/L9paT6NHiH8

blinkngone
27-01-2018, 11:47
Hi V3nom, RascarKapak has a 1:31.179 in TT on PC. Is this the same guy you are talking about? Oops, never mind RascarKapak has basically a Default setup.

On your setup he has removed the Bump Stops and changed the rebound.
Default Dampers.

V3nom
27-01-2018, 11:49
Nope, he's on the PS4 though. The guy in the video managed a high 1:30 even.

awaite85
27-01-2018, 21:34
Wow, this thread has ended up having a lot of great info. Even picked up tips for tuning similar cars. Cheers :D

blinkngone
27-01-2018, 21:55
Wow, this thread has ended up having a lot of great info. Even picked up tips for tuning similar cars. Cheers :D
Cool awaite85. Lots of people trying to help you with one of your favorite cars, what more could be asked for.:cool:

V3nom
27-01-2018, 23:02
Haha the race was a disaster for me. I'm pretty used to being in the very back of the pack. This time I ended up being lapped by the second last racer.
I think the problem was that I only had about an hour of practice in this car.

For anyone Interested. Don't get scared that I came in last, it was a very tough race for me. But I must say the setup was a dream. The car drove perfectly when I didn't make any mistakes.

blinkngone
27-01-2018, 23:20
Haha the race was a disaster for me. I'm pretty used to being in the very back of the back. This thing I ended up being lapped by the second last racer.
I think the problem was that I only had about an hour of practice in this car.

For anyone Interested. Don't get scared that I came in last, it was a very though race for me. But I must say the setup was a dream. The car drove perfectly when I didn't make any mistakes.

Sorry your race didn't come about the way you wanted. At least you have a positive attitude for the next race which will hopefully end better since you have the Ford GT GTE to drive.

V3nom
28-01-2018, 01:36
Well I have to look on the bright side, I learned a track much more and also learned how to control such a beast.
:)
BTW: I think I must of had one too many beers between and right after the race in order to make so many spelling mistakes in a couple of sentences.
I'm really looking forward to the Ford GT on the green hell. Hopefully I'll have some much needed practice time.

kludgey
29-01-2018, 18:17
Great work blink thanks man! I'll give it a go in a couple of hours. I'll make another post in 2 minutes with a setup from a very fast guy out of my league. It's for this car at Laguna seca.(racedate: today)
This guy is running insane 1:31.1.

That's your ol pal DQ's setup ;)

So here's some hints and tips from my time with this car in preparation for that league race for all you brave champions:

This car has a fundamental mid-corner love of oversteer, and it needs to be given a smidge of time to settle when transitioning from heavy braking to cornering. It is a pig. But, it is actually quite quick over a single lap, the difficulty is maintaining it over a long run. Other things to take note of with it: the downshifts. Under heavy braking you have to let the revs drop before downshifting, otherwise you can forget any idea of trailbraking. It quite often needs to be coasted around the apex.

If you tune out the mid-corner naughtiness, you end up into understeer territory, and just need to accept that it's archaic axle design is a sh!t disturber. That said, you do have to wrestle it around a bit. I found that it responded better with the TC off provided the LSD had been setup like V3nom posted above. I got it to the point where the 1:31.1s were consistent, and even dipped into the 30.7s (around Laguna). You have to drive this car on the absolute limit to extract the pace, and it will bite, but by Jove is it an absolute blast while you're riding that bucking bronco.

For Laguna I did initially experiment with hot pressures of ~1.6bar, but this didn't prove to be faster, as this is never going to be a stellar corner performer but has to rely on its straight-line speed, so ended up running them around 1.8bar hot.