PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial issue

DozUK
25-01-2018, 10:18
Hi I've ran a few laps in time trial mode and analysed the UDP data through the RS Dash app and it's cloud portal.

I've noticed that during the sessions that the ambient and track temperature doesn't change (Which I would expect), however what surprised me is that tyre temps and pressures do change and don't reset back when you cross the line. This means that each lap in a session is not controlled and using the same conditions as previous laps. The tyre model doesn't seem to be resetting itself at the start of a new TT lap.

By the way, I highly recommend the RS Dash app for anyone who hasn't used it yet.

MaXyM
25-01-2018, 10:22
should it really reset?

blinkngone
25-01-2018, 10:25
Hi I've ran a few laps in time trial mode and analysed the UDP data through the RS Dash app and cloud portal.

I've noticed that during the sessions that the ambient and track temperature doesn't change (Which I would expect), however what surprised me is that tyre temps and pressures do change and don't reset back when you cross the line. This means that each lap in a session is not controlled and using the same conditions as previous laps. The tyre model doesn't seem to be resetting itself at the start of a new TT lap.

By the way, I highly recommend the RS Dash app for anyone who hasn't used it yet.

Hi, you really don't want the tires to reset after each lap. There are many cars that take 2 laps to just get going, some , like the Nissan with the 2 speed transmission, need 3 so you want the tires to work in and build pressure during the run and not reset every lap.

DozUK
25-01-2018, 10:29
As I understood it, the idea of a time trial was that each lap was under the same starting conditions?

I thought all tyres in a TT started at optimum pressure and temp for this reason?

I could be wrong though, if so ignore my post.

cluck
25-01-2018, 10:35
I can't see why this is a problem myself. The goal of time-trial is to provide a fixed 'environment' platform to set a lap, what you do with the car itself is entirely down to you. Resetting tyre pressures and temps would also mean asking for everything else to be reset every lap (brake, water and oil temps), not to mention resetting all the damage. I would also expect the car to do some strange things if you suddenly reset the tyre temperatures and pressures whilst driving.

EDIT : Just seen your latter post. You have misunderstood, yep. As per my pre-edited post, time-trial is about creating a fixed starting environment with regards track temp and rubber, air temp, clouds (or lack of), wind etc etc. Although it's not ideal (because some starting points don't allow you to get a full turn of speed across the S/F line) the only way to 'reset' everything is to restart the session :)

DozUK
25-01-2018, 11:10
Ah, thanks for explanation. I misunderstood the fixed environment as being fixed conditions (Aside from setup).

Thanks for putting me right

BrunoB
25-01-2018, 16:50
I can remember when I originally started in iceRacing I had the same assumption about TT.
I mean that every lap should be comparabel to any others - and the tires therefore had to be reset after every lap.
But have realised that this would create a comparabel competition yes - but a very artificial one.
As I understand it from iceRacing and now from the explanation here then a TT session is a more "realistic" session where you start with cold tires(?) and then heat them up while the session last as you would in real life.
OK?

shutemdwn
27-01-2018, 02:28
Can you set up your car for a time trial? or is it fixed?

RoccoTTS
27-01-2018, 07:27
Can you set up your car for a time trial? or is it fixed?

You can use setup in time trial.

cluck
27-01-2018, 11:39
I can remember when I originally started in iceRacing I had the same assumption about TT.
I mean that every lap should be comparabel to any others - and the tires therefore had to be reset after every lap.
But have realised that this would create a comparabel competition yes - but a very artificial one.
As I understand it from iceRacing and now from the explanation here then a TT session is a more "realistic" session where you start with cold tires(?) and then heat them up while the session last as you would in real life.
OK?As with pCARS1, time-trial starts with a "fully warmed up" car in terms of tyres, brakes, oil and water. It's then up to you to try and maintain those temps to the desired level :).

BrunoB
27-01-2018, 12:11
As with pCARS1, time-trial starts with a "fully warmed up" car in terms of tyres, brakes, oil and water. It's then up to you to try and maintain those temps to the desired level :).
OK that makes good sense.
Refering to iceRacing then quite honestly Im not fully sure if a TT starts on cold tires or with "preheated".
Hehe maybe it doesnt matter because there has allways been a bug in iceRacings TM so first lap out will almost allways be fastest because the bug gives you extra grip on that lap.:rolleyes: