PDA

View Full Version : "Best" Car

Ricasmetx
25-01-2018, 11:45
Hi guys
I'm new on PC2 and I'm very pleased to play this, I came from GTS :p
In one of many doubts I have a basic one:
How can I compare 2 diferente cars from the same category? How I know that a car is more "powerfull" than other in the same category, for example the Group A cars, what is the "best" car?
Thanks a lot.

Konan
25-01-2018, 11:57
Welcome...That info is shown at the car selection screen...
BHP,top speed (i think),drivetrain,etc...
Now in regards to "the best" car,that is not always the one with the highest "numbers"...what can be a good car for someone might not be one for you...
Trial and error are the keywords here...meaning testing and practice :cool:

Ricasmetx
25-01-2018, 12:04
Welcome...That info is shown at the car selection screen...
BHP,top speed (i think),drivetrain,etc...

Aren't a site where we can analyse it, like a data base :P

Now in regards to "the best" car,that is not always the one with the highest "numbers"...what can be a good car for someone might not be one for you... Trial and error are the keywords here...meaning testing and practice :cool:

Yes, for sure, but for example if you have a race with your friends you need toi pick up the more powerfull and try to handle it, you will not pick up the slowest first :p

Invincible
25-01-2018, 12:21

Yes, for sure, but for example if you have a race with your friends you need toi pick up the more powerfull and try to handle it, you will not pick up the slowest first :p

What you seemingly want is the fastest car in a straight line.
Which is the "best" car or the fastest car on a circuit can't be determined by some numbers like HP, acceleration and top speed. Because it might handle like a pig and you might be effectively the slowest on the track in regards to lap times.

Ofnir4
25-01-2018, 12:30
There is no all around best car, just like in real life, some car are more suited for certain tracks and lag behind on others.

Powerful ? horsepower figures, won't mean it's fast or handles well, just means the engine is producing lots of power.

Maybe you'll be faster in a slower but lighter, more nimble car, making it your faster car. Its not forza and GT (not counting GTS), any given class doesn't have a one best car, thank goodness.

Smoked_Cheddar
25-01-2018, 13:48
What Ofnir4 said, it is your best car. There are plenty of arguments of what car is the best. For example GT3, oh boy.... Lots of choices, but for me, I found the Acura is the best for me right now...

It feels stable enough I can get the most out of it, but I just saw in a different thread there is an issue with the Acura downshifting, which they are right. Yet, for ME, it seems to work. The only way is to find a track you know, and take a bunch of cars out for a spin.

For me, its about 4 o 5 laps on a track I know to see where I can get the most out of a car in the setup that it is in. Or at least that is the most time I can give concentration in TT to see where I stand before I need to try something else.

Invincible
25-01-2018, 13:48
Now that I think of it - there are cars which dominate their classes though:
Group C: Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo
Group A: Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

But imo, these two are the most obvious. GTE or GT3 for example are much more balanced and the car choice is mostly up to personal preference.

Konan
25-01-2018, 13:54

But imo, these two are the most obvious. GTE or GT3 for example are much more balanced and the car choice is mostly up to personal preference.

Are you talking about career?
Because i just finished the group A championship and i found the Sierra was fastest...drove the Audi myself and finished second overall behind a Sierra...:cool:

Invincible
25-01-2018, 14:07
Are you talking about career?
Because i just finished the group A championship and i found the Sierra was fastest...drove the Audi myself and finished second overall behind a Sierra...:cool:

Nah, I was talking about Online. I once used the Skyline in a race with a few other guys which where on Mercs and Beemers and one Sierra. I trashed them all by several seconds per lap and I don't think that was all up to skill.

RobPhoboS
25-01-2018, 14:19
Hi guys
I'm new on PC2 and I'm very pleased to play this, I came from GTS :p
In one of many doubts I have a basic one:
How can I compare 2 diferente cars from the same category? How I know that a car is more "powerfull" than other in the same category, for example the Group A cars, what is the "best" car?
Thanks a lot.

You're going to learn very quickly it doesn't quite work like that.
(or not)

Unless you are competing at the highest level (online), and even then it's the meat that's driving it.

I wished that forums banned 'best' posts ;)

cpcdem
25-01-2018, 14:31

You can go here:

http://pcars.13ms.de

Pick the track you want, then click on the button with the 3 cars painted on it on the right. This will show some extra filters, press "Add Vehicle Class to Selection", select the car class that you are interested in and you will see the best times people have done in time trial for those cars and in that track, you will get a very good idea which are the faster ones :).

Those are times logged in the PC platform, but the physics are identical to other platforms, so this method should apply to PS as well. Only problem is that after the previous patch some cars became slower, so their old best laps are not representative anymore. I really hope SMS will reset the leaderboards soon (or at least wipe out the old times), so we will be back to normality on that aspect as well.

iggy
25-01-2018, 16:26

Somewhere buried in this forum are your answers... or at least attempts to answer your question...

The problem is... and why it's virtually impossible to know the answer to your question ( or provide a 'chart' to see )... is because there are so many variables, to the way cars behave at various tracks. Altitude changes the power output of cars that are driven, so the power of each vehicle will change from one track to the next... Also as Konan pointed out... a lot of it also comes down to personal preference... Each car will feel different , and everyone likes a slightly different feel I think. I tend to prefer cars that have about the highest power to weight ratio , but there can be a point where there's maybe too much power for me, making it hard to actually control my throttle enough to get that power onto the ground. Others may very well just like a car with as much total power as possible, even if it means the are driving a heavier car than I personally like... Time and again I find myself avoiding heavy cars... But then again, there are certain tracks that favor maximum power...

Bottom line is I don't think you can put all this into a simple chart... you really have to try each car in a class and see which one suits your needs best. If you are looking at HP numbers... keep in mind that HP of a naturally aspirated will be lower at higher altitudes in RL and in PC2

sp3ctor
25-01-2018, 17:41
You can go here:

http://pcars.13ms.de

On a related note (sort of), I looked at this and under the info page there is a link to the underlying data from steam. I would *love* to figure out a way to get that data as xml or something I could easily import into a statistics package just because I'm a nerd. Anyone have any idea how I'd go about getting that data feed?

iggy
25-01-2018, 19:01
If you could filter out data based on age, that leader board might be more useful... Example... while I still personally find the Ferrari GT3 car to be fast... it's no longer quite as fast as it once was... so if you look at leaders in the GT3 class of cars, it can be deceiving based on performance of today, vs a month or two ago.

snipeme77
25-01-2018, 19:11

ZX = Death
Skyline = Understeer Machine

cpcdem
25-01-2018, 19:35
On a related note (sort of), I looked at this and under the info page there is a link to the underlying data from steam. I would *love* to figure out a way to get that data as xml or something I could easily import into a statistics package just because I'm a nerd. Anyone have any idea how I'd go about getting that data feed?

I think he's not reading the data from steam, instead he reads it directly from the official leaderboards at http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com

You can get the data from there, for PC1 I had started writing a small program that gets the html page from this site, parses it and then produces statistics the way I want them (and for the full track catalogue, while pcars.13ms.de collects times only for some selected tracks).

The problem with that, is that you need to do that for each track times each car, and because each page contains 100 lap entries only, for a combo that has 2000 times registered, you need to multiply again by 20. So I would end up with 100,000s of web requests each time I want to update the data, which I am not sure would be really appreciated :).

For this reason I am really hoping something like that will be eventually implemented by SMS at the base level, where they have direct access to the steam leaderboards. Otherwise we need to use the website that I mentioned, which is an extremely fantastic effort, but unfortunately it misses data for way to many tracks..

gp2112
25-01-2018, 20:14
Screw "best" cars, race the cars you want to race. As a teen I loved the Nissan GTP-X and the Jag. Now? Every aspiring Gp. C racer jumps in the GTP-X (or the Ferrari in GT3/GTE) just to have the "best" car. I jump in the Jag. Why? Sound for one, and the pure joy of beating up on the Nissans in a car that is not the "best". Same reason why I jump into a Porsche when I race GT3. I don't win all the races, just enough to keep me interested.

The "Best" car for me is the one I want to drive the most, not the one that is tops on the hotlap leaderboards.

Stewy32
25-01-2018, 20:39
The best thing to do is to take the 3 cars that appeal to you the most at first glance.For example,the top 3 most appealing GT3 cars at launch were the 2015 Audi R8 LMS GT3,2016 Ferrari 488 GT3 and 2017 Acura NSX GT3.Then take the 3 circuits you most want to race those cars on.For me and GT3 it was Donington Park National,Silverstone GP and Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps and then do a 1 lap TT followed by a 10 lap race run and another 1 lap TT.Add all 12 laps,minus any laps with huge mistakes,and average it out to get your best car.However,if you make multiple huge mistakes such as every other lap in 1 car then it isn't a good choice.This may sound odd but you are more likely to perform better if you really want to drive a car rather than doing so because you feel you should test all or because it is quickest online.You could also factor in a 5 lap night run or wet run but rain changes in level each time because of Live Track 3.0 and you also need to run them in different orders at each track to compensate for track improvements so at Track 1 run A/B/C,Track 2 B/C/A and Track 3 C/A/B.