PDA

View Full Version : Pit Crew out = Poor Performance

OddTimer
27-01-2018, 13:08
Hey! I've been doing some career races and as you progress the AI has to pit. When this happens, performance takes a big a hit and the more AI pitting, the more the frame rate drops.
As you can see, I play on the Xbox One X. I would assume the same happens on the PS4 as well?

I've tried all 3 graphical modes (framerate, resolution, and enhanced visuals), regardless the mode, performance always takes a hit when the AI pits.

My guess is that the game struggles because of the several pit crews coming out of their garages at the same time. I know that on PC you can select if you just want to see your pit crew only or other teams' crews, but on consoles this option does not exist.

Is SMS going to try to fix this or at least give console players the option to choose how pit crews appear in game?

Thanks!

sas5320
27-01-2018, 14:57
You are correct about the problem, animated pitcrews cost memory and computing cycles. Not sure the solution however

MaXyM
27-01-2018, 15:09
There is an option to enable only your pit crew. Maybe it would help

sas5320
27-01-2018, 15:12
"I know that on PC you can select if you just want to see your pit crew only or other teams' crews, but on consoles this option does not exist. "

OddTimer
27-01-2018, 15:13
There is an option to enable only your pit crew. Maybe it would help

Yep, but only on pc. Mods, can you please pass this to the team to see if enabling and disabling pitcrew can be brought to consoles like the pc?

OddTimer
28-01-2018, 13:57
To confirm this happens on single player too. When I refer to framerate drops, this happens anywhere on the track, even if the player is on the other side of the track and the ai pits fps takes a big hit. Anyone else noticed this?

Maskmagog
06-09-2018, 22:21
I've just upgraded to Xbox One X (overall very happy :D) but I did get framerate drops just now. As above post, when AI pitted. Slightly disappointing. I'd rather turn pit crews off for AI.

This was in a quick race with 26 Vintage TC B, Oulton Park Island, medium cloud.

Maskmagog
07-09-2018, 06:54
^^This was with Enhanced Resolution, btw.

OddTimer
07-09-2018, 07:12
Yes, this issue is still there unfortunately. On pc you can turn pit crew off, but on consoles this has never been implemented. There is a patch coming out soon, finger crossed cuz I believe it will be the last patch for pc2.

cxMilk
07-09-2018, 17:42
Ah, the world is funny sometimes. With pCars, everyone wanted animated pit crews. Some compromises had to be made in order to get them into pCars2. And ever since, people have have been looking for ways to turn off animated pit crews.

There's just no winning, SMS.

Maskmagog
07-09-2018, 18:05
I don't think anybody knew that animated pit crews would mean framedrops, even on Xbox One X.

OddTimer
07-09-2018, 18:39
Ah, the world is funny sometimes. With pCars, everyone wanted animated pit crews. Some compromises had to be made in order to get them into pCars2. And ever since, people have have been looking for ways to turn off animated pit crews.

There's just no winning, SMS.

So make it the animation doesnt have an impact on performance. And fyi the frame rate drops when the player is on track and the ai is in the pits, not when the player is in the pits while the ai. Poor optimization if you ask me.

cxMilk
07-09-2018, 18:57
So make it the animation doesnt have an impact on performance. And fyi the frame rate drops when the player is on track and the ai is in the pits, not when the player is in the pits while the ai. Poor optimization if you ask me.
No, I get that. I was just making a general observance regarding the pit crews since the game came out. If memory serves, the ability to turn the pit crews on and off in the PC version popped up in the first patch(?) because of these exact issues. Pretty certain it wasn't an on launch feature.

I was of the opinion then, and still am, that animated pit crews are completely superficial and should have only been added as long as they didn't take processing away from elsewhere. Considering a toggle had to be added for PC players, they probably never should have existed on the console version in the first place.

But, people were quite vocal about animated pit crews being a necessity when pCars2 development began. *shrugs*

Sentry87
07-09-2018, 19:51
I'm quite happy with pit crews on console. Yes performance drops a bit but it adds immersion. Now if they can add crews in the garages and pit wall I'd be happier