PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 488 GT3

STaLLiOnO
28-01-2018, 15:58
Entering the turn, the Ferrari spins out. For example, the 1st turn at Daytona RC. What can i do to fix this?

AbeWoz
28-01-2018, 18:51
while braking? move brake bias forward
off brake and off throttle? increase rear diff locking and preload

STaLLiOnO
28-01-2018, 20:01
I'm looking for a Tuner. Possibly team up and race GT3 Leagues. I don't know much about tuning.

iggy
29-01-2018, 17:32
Call me crazy, but as near as I can tell most GT3 cars drive pretty darn good right out of the box. I haven't driven Daytona RC in a while, maybe I'll have to give that a try tonight... but for virtually every track I do drive, I find the handling of the Ferrari in particular to be quite good... I've tried most of the other cars as well, and the handling of the others don't suit me very well, but I suspect it has more to do with me just preferring the way the Ferrari drives.

iggy
29-01-2018, 17:35
I should ask... are you manually shifting? or running automatic?

I ask, because I used to run automatic all the time, recently switched over to manually shifting, what I've found is I can brake much later and spin out into corners way way less , by manually downshifting reasonably well while braking, quite amazing how much of a difference is makes for me.

STaLLiOnO
29-01-2018, 17:37
Manual

KrypticTMG
30-01-2018, 01:08
Most of the time this will be the issue of your engine braking being to low like on 1 i run mine at at 5. The higher up you go the more stability you get under braking but it also increases understeer. Here is my tuning page where i leave setup video's every week, i have a recent setup for the Ferrari on the last page. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59955-KrypticTMG-s-Video-Setups&p=1468612#post1468612

STaLLiOnO
30-01-2018, 12:26
Most of the time this will be the issue of your engine braking being to low like on 1 i run mine at at 5. The higher up you go the more stability you get under braking but it also increases understeer. Here is my tuning page where i leave setup video's every week, i have a recent setup for the Ferrari on the last page. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?59955-KrypticTMG-s-Video-Setups&p=1468612#post1468612

Thanks for your input

sbart_uk
02-02-2018, 01:48
Decrease your diff coast locking. This will make the car more stable off throttle. It sounds like you have too much rotation going into the corner. The next thing to change is brake bias/pressure. More towards the front. Then if its still a problem increase engine braking or change gear ratios so there is not as much difference between the revs of the gear you're in and the gear you're changing too.

RC-5PO
02-02-2018, 11:49
Also if you are shifting down into 2nd or 1st too early you may be causing the rear tires to lock up.

thydney1970
03-02-2018, 22:39
on the ferrari gt3 it is important that you set the rear wing 3 clicks higher than the front. if front aero is set more than 1, sudden oversteers is mostly the reason during braking and turn in. if this is not solving the issue try following steps :
-decrease diff coast to 25, power 55-65, preload 100, 4 clutches
-decrease brake pressure
-move brake bias 1-2 % more to front. us 57/43% always as reference.
-soften front bar and maybe increase front rebound.
-go with rear toe more to positive. excessive toe can cause sudden oversteer to.

I'm driving in an international GT3 league with the 488 no. 63 and I'm actually on equal level with the fastest drivers. I'm driving in long beach 1.18.5 b.e. good luck.

STaLLiOnO
03-02-2018, 23:28
Decrease your diff coast locking. This will make the car more stable off throttle. It sounds like you have too much rotation going into the corner. The next thing to change is brake bias/pressure. More towards the front. Then if its still a problem increase engine braking or change gear ratios so there is not as much difference between the revs of the gear you're in and the gear you're changing too.

I use a controller with this game. Do you have a good Differntial setting?

hkraft300
04-02-2018, 01:43

Clutch 4, pre 80, coast 50, power 55.

thydney1970
04-02-2018, 08:45
with coast 50 you have to much oversteer off throttle, under braking believe me. in 99% while driving you brake only on the straight, so it doesn't make sense to have a open diff. 50 makes only sense when you are braking a lot whilst you driving through curves. i always have coast of 25-30 in the ferrari, on other cars too, and i never have such oversteers LSD related.

50 or higher makes maybe sense when the track is wet otherwise it's only forcing oversteer off throttle.

with preload you adjust the over/understeering off throttle in the middle of curve. increase goes more towards understeer, decrease oversteer. coast controls over-/understeer at the curve entry and off throttle (braking). more open (90) you have more oversteer. same philosophy works on power which controls over-/understeer on turn exit. this is how a diff works.

takes the values which I gave in my 1st reply as reference, most of time you only have to make minor changes. as wider the curves are on a track as more you go towards 25 according above mentioned explanations.

before you make changes on the diff you have first to make the adjustments on bars, toe and suspension. with the diff settings you make finally the fine tune. hope it will helps you and i could answering some questions.

hkraft300
04-02-2018, 09:53
I use my diff numbers with my suspension and alignment.
The only time I get off-throttle oversteer is when I trail brake too hard too late, which will give me oversteer regardless of how locked/open my diff is.

Upside to the 50 coast is it gives me enough locking to be stable, not too much locking to cause understeer.

sbart_uk
04-02-2018, 12:20
A coast of 20-30 will give you insane understeer on turn in and you'll never go fast like that. It will delay how soon you can get on the power...you should only ever go that low if you're on a gamepad. And the diff you can change first not last...as you will know what kind of diff you like after driving a few cars. I always change the diff to 45/65 before I've even driven the car as I know default diff setting are very understeery. The diff is probably the most important setting...its not for fine tuning

STaLLiOnO
04-02-2018, 12:47
Guys a lot of different answers here. What setting is good? Is 60 35 good?

Atak Kat
04-02-2018, 13:33
This is messing with my brain. Need to ask if I understand it correct:

(I need to try to keep it as basic as possible, but still directionally correct...I've read, and re-read all the other detailed posts on this, but unfortunately it's just difficult for me to put all the pieces together. Certainly they did help, but I'm struggling to figure out the jump to calculus, when I'm just getting comfortable with basic multiplication and division)

Please let me know if I have it correct or wrong

POWER
- lower value means more oversteer whenever you are on the throttle. I think I understand this one reasonably OK. Let's see...

COAST
- lower value means you will have less possibility of the back end stepping out when decelerating, coasting, or braking.
- but the cost of this is that it will also impact the way the car turns in, and if it's too low it will kind of push the car and result in more understeer and tend to drift wide. You don't get that immediate turn in when you want it.

PRELOAD
- if I read correctly, you can use this to somehow find some balance, particularly mid-curve or during the transition between coast and power, or power and coast.
- lower numbers increase the tendency for oversteer.
- higher numbers increase the tendency for understeer.

Did I even get close?

If I did then, I would interpret that:
- power is probably the first to set, to get comfortable with the amount of oversteer on power.
- then, you probably set coast, trying to keep it as high as you are comfortable with, even if it still results in a bit of problems under braking. You don't want it too low because even if it keeps the rear end under control when breaking, it results in understeer later in the corner or on exit. So the target would be to find the highest value that you're still barely ok under braking.
- when you find that, I guess you can fine-tune it with the preload? which will mostly impact how the car behaves mid corner, or under transition of power. If you have a bit too much understeer, then decrease the pre-load a bit?

Thanks for the ongoing and helpful education to all....

hkraft300
04-02-2018, 13:53
Ye, that's about the gist of it.
Low ramp angle basically pushes the clutches harder.

I personally adjust pre-load so that at the slowest, sharpest corner the pre-load doesn't hinder me with understeer.

If you want to see the effect of a locked diff turn on the spool. That's basically what happens when you have low ramp angles (locked diff).

Guys a lot of different answers here. What setting is good? Is 60 35 good?

depends on the rest of your tune. If you're super late and rough on the turn-in, low coast angle will often stabilise the car.

Atak Kat
04-02-2018, 14:06

If that's in reply to my understanding, then I am amazed. And, I thank you.

sbart_uk
04-02-2018, 15:43
Did I even get close?

Yep, You've basically got it..the only thing I would suggest is set the coast first so you are hitting apex's and can get the power down earlier. Then adjust the power to get the rotation/acceleration you want when on the power.

STaLLiOnO
04-02-2018, 18:17
Low ramp angle basically pushes the clutches harder.

I personally adjust pre-load so that at the slowest, sharpest corner the pre-load doesn't hinder me with understeer.

If you want to see the effect of a locked diff turn on the spool. That's basically what happens when you have low ramp angles (locked diff).

depends on the rest of your tune. If you're super late and rough on the turn-in, low coast angle will often stabilise the car.

45 30?

cpcdem
04-02-2018, 19:09
If I did then, I would interpret that:
- power is probably the first to set, to get comfortable with the amount of oversteer on power.
- then, you probably set coast, trying to keep it as high as you are comfortable with, even if it still results in a bit of problems under braking. You don't want it too low because even if it keeps the rear end under control when breaking, it results in understeer later in the corner or on exit. So the target would be to find the highest value that you're still barely ok under braking.
- when you find that, I guess you can fine-tune it with the preload? which will mostly impact how the car behaves mid corner, or under transition of power. If you have a bit too much understeer, then decrease the pre-load a bit?

I think you got everything in your post right, apart from the part in bold. Coast normally should only affect behavior under braking, definitely not on corner exit (when you're in the accelerating phase). After braking, it's preload that prevails, although depending on how it is modeled in the game, maybe coast might have a small impact here as well. But it's main impact is for braking, so it greatly affects the ability to trail brake.

About preload, I think one of the best ways to feel the difference it makes, is to practice at Watkins Glen, in the esses. There you have a very abrupt and quick transition from braking to a little throttle after the first S back to braking for the second S and then throttle again within moments, where the preload makes a big difference. Try with a small value at first, see how unstable the car is in this transition, while a higher value will make it a lot more stable but less maneuverable. After several tries, find your sweet spot.

cpcdem
04-02-2018, 19:23

There is no magic value, it's what makes you personally comfortable with. It also depends a lot on other setup settings. For example traction control, if you don't use it at all, or you have it in very low mode (so high setting in the % setup value), increasing the angle on the power diff will help you keeping the car under control more easily when accelerating on exiting corners. But if you use for example 10% traction control slip or less, you can easily decrease the power diff angle to get better turn in. Similar for coast and preload, it depends how much you can use a lot for example on your brake pressure and bias setting.

And most importantly, it all depends also a lot on your driving style, on how comfortable you are with your controller device and on your current skill. Three months ago I could handle some specific values for the diff, but right now after I have put a lot more practice, I can handle/prefer and use different ones. So I think it's just better to try for yourself and see what fits you. Try large values, try small values and one in between and see what you are most comfortable with. After putting some more hours of practice, repeat to see if there are different values that suit you now.

STaLLiOnO
04-02-2018, 19:24
I think you got everything in your post right, apart from the part in bold. Coast normally should only affect behavior under braking, definitely not on corner exit (when you're in the accelerating phase). After braking, it's preload that prevails, although depending on how it is modeled in the game, maybe coast might have a small impact here as well. But it's main impact is for braking, so it greatly affects the ability to trail brake.

About preload, I think one of the best ways to feel the difference it makes, is to practice at Watkins Glen, in the esses. There you have a very abrupt and quick transition from braking to a little throttle after the first S back to braking for the second S and then throttle again within moments, where the preload makes a big difference. Try with a small value at first, see how unstable the car is in this transition, while a higher value will make it a lot more stable but less maneuverable. After several tries, find your sweet spot.

Yeah, all i need are a few adjustments in the differential setting. I think the Ferrari will be good there. A good reason why my lap times suffer.

cpcdem
04-02-2018, 19:30
Yeah, all i need are a few adjustments in the differential setting. I think the Ferrari will be good there. A good reason why my lap times suffer.

I don't think you can get much raw lap time from the diff, but it can help you a lot to be more consistent lap over lap. For lap time, I would guess it can give a few tenths, due to a good diff setting making it easier to trail brake more easily and having a slightly better corner exit speed.

STaLLiOnO
04-02-2018, 21:31
I don't think you can get much raw lap time from the diff, but it can help you a lot to be more consistent lap over lap. For lap time, I would guess it can give a few tenths, due to a good diff setting making it easier to trail brake more easily and having a slightly better corner exit speed.

I wish i could tune to how i like to drive.

sbart_uk
04-02-2018, 21:55

Sorry but thats wrong...The diff will give more laptime than pretty much any other setting. If the diffs wrong no other setting will fix it as it has a massive effect on the cars rotation on and off the throttle. Also this trail braking thing i see all the time is rubbish.... 90% of the time if you're trail braking you're simply just wasting time where you could have already been on the throttle instead of still braking.

STaLLiOnO
04-02-2018, 22:13
Sorry but thats wrong...The diff will give more laptime than pretty much any other setting. If the diffs wrong no other setting will fix it as it has a massive effect on the cars rotation on and off the throttle. Also this trail braking thing i see all the time is rubbish.... 90% of the time if you're trail braking you're simply just wasting time where you could have already been on the throttle instead of still braking.

i'll be honest, i don't know what advance i should use. All i know is, i'm on a controller, and i need every good tuning i can. I'm already at a disadvantage with a controller.

cpcdem
04-02-2018, 22:30
i'll be honest, i don't know what advance i should use. All i know is, i'm on a controller, and i need every good tuning i can. I'm already at a disadvantage with a controller.

I am not using a pad, but I think what's most important is to setup best the pad itself (sensitivity etc) so you are comfortable with it in the game, so maybe you should follow the threads on that matter. Regarding the diff, I guess you'd likely prefer stability, so high power angle, low coast angle and high preload. But there are some very fast pad users who can do with default more or less diff settings, that's why I think setting up your controller's parameters nicely is most important.

cpcdem
04-02-2018, 22:32

If it's (very) wrong, yes, you will have trouble. But the default diff settings are not wrong, they are pretty much ok I think. So it's a matter of if you can get much more lap time by improving the default setup. IMO there is some time to be gained, but it will not be seconds..

STaLLiOnO
04-02-2018, 22:58
I am not using a pad, but I think what's most important is to setup best the pad itself (sensitivity etc) so you are comfortable with it in the game, so maybe you should follow the threads on that matter. Regarding the diff, I guess you'd likely prefer stability, so high power angle, low coast angle and high preload. But there are some very fast pad users who can do with default more or less diff settings, that's why I think setting up your controller's parameters nicely is most important.

Perhaps, i can post my controller settings. Someone who knows a good setting, help me out?

blinkngone
05-02-2018, 00:19
Perhaps, i can post my controller settings. Someone who knows a good setting, help me out?

You replied in another thread to check out the youtube videos, have you checked out this one?
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57194-Struggling-with-Xbox-controller-on-PC&p=1421399&viewfull=1#post1421399

Maybe you could try PMing Roushman624 for assistance.

STaLLiOnO
05-02-2018, 00:23
You replied in another thread to check out the youtube videos, have you checked out this one?
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57194-Struggling-with-Xbox-controller-on-PC&p=1421399&viewfull=1#post1421399

Yeah, but i made my own settings. Those settings are someone else's.

blinkngone
05-02-2018, 00:27
Yeah, but i made my own settings. Those settings are someone else's.

Ok, I searched but it is difficult. Have you already tried posting your settings in the XBOX forum and asking for advice?
You replied to this thread but you didn't mention that you had any issues, only suggested others should look at videos for themselves.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?60669-Controller-set-up&p=1469919&viewfull=1#post1469919

sbart_uk
05-02-2018, 00:43
If it's (very) wrong, yes, you will have trouble. But the default diff settings are not wrong, they are pretty much ok I think. So it's a matter of if you can get much more lap time by improving the default setup. IMO there is some time to be gained, but it will not be seconds..

I can guarantee its multiple seconds you can gain from an aggressive diff. Although this is with a wheel and pedals...maybe not with a gamepad, I cant comment on controllers as I have never tried to drive a sim with one.
The default diff settings are terrible, just like the default setups in general. They are all set for massive understeer.

hkraft300
05-02-2018, 01:12
I wish i could tune to how i like to drive.

You want to drive the way the car is tuned first.
There's only so much you can mitigate poor technique with tuning.
Be flexible, drive to the cars strengths.

cpcdem
05-02-2018, 01:44
I can guarantee its multiple seconds you can gain from an aggressive diff. Although this is with a wheel and pedals...maybe not with a gamepad, I cant comment on controllers as I have never tried to drive a sim with one.
The default diff settings are terrible, just like the default setups in general. They are all set for massive understeer.

Multiple seconds? So you're saying that you can gain more than 2, 3 seconds in a regular track (not LeMans or Nords..)? I don't know if there are maybe some cars with terrible settings as you say, but I'd be extremely surprised if you can make such gains for example with the 488 that we are discussing here, just by changing the diff... Ready to be proven wrong, though :)

hkraft300
05-02-2018, 04:11
Even the default loose tune is fairly conservative. I think a few seconds can be gained with more aggressive diff tune to mitigate the understeer of the default setup.

You know the diff is spot on when you get on the gas hard on the exits and the car rotates slightly, but doesn't spit sideways. Almost like torque vectoring.

blinkngone
05-02-2018, 09:58
Preload/Clutches/Power Ramp/Coast Ramp,100/4/45/25 are the Default Loose settings for the LSD on the Ferrari 488 GT3. The most common LSD of the top TT times at GP tracks are using the Default Loose LSD, when the WR is not using the Default Loose LSD there is usually a Default Loose LSD within a few tenths. There are always exceptions, the 3rd place time at COTA is using a SPOOL/Clutch combo(2nd is Default) and you have to go 1.2 seconds back at of the WR at Nurburgring to find a Default Loose LSD. The tracks where the Default Loose setup, not just the LSD, is either tied or the WR it is doubtful you can improve those times by a couple of seconds. This doesn't mean that people who can't drive very well can't help themselves by working on the LSD so they are not spinning out continuously until they learn better throttle control.

hkraft300
05-02-2018, 10:13
Spool overrides all other different types completely, so there's no benefit to running spool+ clutch/ratchet/gears.

Anyway, my suggestions aren't for TT where you an do 1 WR lap then spin out for 5, or the car generally drives like a pig (which is usually the case with TT tunes).
A moderate clutch diff gives better driveability and consistency in races and is better for tire life.

blinkngone
05-02-2018, 11:05
I can't drive with a spool LSD so that run impressed me.:D For TT runs with the Ferrari the Default Loose LSD is the one to use. I haven't a clue about racing, you have always said it is completely different, so maybe that is what the other person was referring to as well about gaining multiple seconds however I understood it to be needing a more aggressive LSD. I know there are cars/tracks in TT where the tires are completely dead on the first lap so as you say it(TT setups) are useless for racing.