PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server help

bluenoes
28-01-2018, 23:24
Iíve spent a few days trying to sort out a simple dedicated server which the first person who joins is the one who sets it up.

Iíve set the config ok as far as I can tell, and set up the next session settings in the http portal for the server.
Problem is, not all settings are being set from that in the server.
The main problem is it always adds ai into the server, but I donít want any.

Iíve searched numerous threads, but just canít find the answer.
All I want is a DS that I can be the first to join, set all regulations, and settings, then invite others...I canít believe how difficult it is.

I donít want to set it up for rotating tracks, weather or anything else...just one track and car group, with specific rules and other settings.

If anyone could share config file for this type of setup, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Andy

bloozmahn
29-01-2018, 04:16
the first race seems to always have AI in it, after that it's normal.

Visceral_Syn
29-01-2018, 14:20
Iíve spent a few days trying to sort out a simple dedicated server which the first person who joins is the one who sets it up.

Take the sample server.cfg from the sample configs folder. Set "ControlGameSetup" to false, then the first client who connects is the admin.

Iíve set the config ok as far as I can tell, and set up the next session settings in the http portal for the server.
Problem is, not all settings are being set from that in the server.
The main problem is it always adds ai into the server, but I donít want any.

The webserver does not make changes, it can however show you changes made. There is always AI in the first session, disconnect then reconnect before even voting to start session. Then there will be no AI

Iíve searched numerous threads, but just canít find the answer.
All I want is a DS that I can be the first to join, set all regulations, and settings, then invite others...I canít believe how difficult it is.

The Documentation SMS released with the DS is vague, at best, however if you would have read either of these two threads: your answers are there.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?56669-Dedicated-Server-Configuration-Sample-FIXED-Time-Weather-MultiClass!-11-2-17
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51949-Dedicated-Server-configuration

I donít want to set it up for rotating tracks, weather or anything else...just one track and car group, with specific rules and other settings.
If anyone could share config file for this type of setup, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Andy

phos4us
30-01-2018, 07:22
Using config files to adjust your server setup is wonky and results in a ton of bugs. Using DS control applets is also risky. There is a more reliable way.

SMS added the -selectds launch feature in patch 3 to replace the -searchds launch feature. Basically, it allows you to leverage the in game menu for setting up multiplayer session to establish a dedicated server and allows you to bypass most of the server config file or external API control interface drama. This method also allows for easy multi-class setups and anyone with the server password to establish a session. Provided you have added -selectds to your PCARS 2 launch options in Steam, the following procedure works 100% of the time:

1) In the config file, make sure the maximum players allowed matches the maximum number of players allowed for the track, that the controlGameSetup is set to false (to disable the sms_rotate_config.json file), and that ServerControlsTrack, ServerControlsVehicleClass, ServerControlsVehicle are all set to 0.
2) Restart the game if you have played in any other online lobbies in this session
3) Open the "create online event" menu and configure the lobby as desired. I recommend that the password for the lobby match the config file
4) Select "Start"
5) instead of launching a lobby as P2P, a menu of all active dedicated servers will appear. Choose your server from the list and enter the password from the config file
6) Your dedicated server lobby will open as configured.
7) Important-every player who joins must do so from a fresh game session if they have played in any other online lobbies or they risk bringing the weather from that lobby with them (but only for them). This is a known issue with weather failing to sync across player sessions, particularly in p2p lobbies. Players can bring weather with them.

The down side is that you cannot set up a P2P server if you have -selectds in your launch options.

bluenoes
30-01-2018, 07:54
Thanks so much for all the information, had a few busy days at work so not had chance to check back here.
That all makes sense, so hopefully I can get it working this evening.

Thanks again
Andy

bluenoes
31-01-2018, 08:02
That seems to have done the trick, thanks.

Reading through lots of threads, shows there is a lot to do to get DS working properly, but at least it sort of works now.
One thing I found when testing it last night is after the initial session is completed, the admin cant seem to reset the car selection to a different class of vehicle (I had set group A cars in the config) The only way to do that is for everyone to leave the server, rejoin and the admin can then pick a new class.