PDA

View Full Version : Why no front proximity sensor?

inthebagbud
30-01-2018, 08:29
As being fairly new to racing games a thought occurred to me about why there is no front end proximity "sensor" in racing games . Pcasr 2 has added the rear arrows show you know about cars coming up on you , but one of the main things I see is the issue in trying to judge how near you are to the car in front especially in the braking zone. In the game you do not have the inputs as you do in real life and wondered if this would help with the general issue of close quarter driving.

Im not suggetsing the use of arrows but maybe something like on cars where the rear parking view has a rectangle that equals a fixed distance ( say a metre) and this is filled with colour the nearer you get to the object

I am suer I am not the first to wonder this and wondered why it is not in racing games.

As with all assists there will be an argument for "pureist" racing but would something like this not help people in attaining that awareness?

Just a thought

ant1897
30-01-2018, 13:22
As being fairly new to racing games a thought occurred to me about why there is no front end proximity "sensor" in racing games . Pcasr 2 has added the rear arrows show you know about cars coming up on you , but one of the main things I see is the issue in trying to judge how near you are to the car in front especially in the braking zone. In the game you do not have the inputs as you do in real life and wondered if this would help with the general issue of close quarter driving.

Im not suggetsing the use of arrows but maybe something like on cars where the rear parking view has a rectangle that equals a fixed distance ( say a metre) and this is filled with colour the nearer you get to the object

I am suer I am not the first to wonder this and wondered why it is not in racing games.

As with all assists there will be an argument for "pureist" racing but would something like this not help people in attaining that awareness?

Just a thought

Because windshield. :confused:

sas5320
30-01-2018, 13:25
There is a Brake Assist i think (different from ABS). You can try that if you are havig triuble judging brake distances

V3nom
30-01-2018, 13:33
Mate you are surely using the wrong field of view. This is causing misjudgement of the distance from the car in front.

pa_pinkelman
30-01-2018, 14:22

Just a thought

Have you ever considered driving in VR? With a beefy system like yours that would be a great experience. Judging distances than becomes easy as in real life.

V3nom
30-01-2018, 14:30
Fov fov fov man..

gp2112
30-01-2018, 14:54
The best proximity sensor you can find are the Mark IV iBall. They are free to anyone who wants to use them and once you learn the in's and out's of the sensor you will ask why you did not use them before.

Learning how to navigate traffic is a difficult task but one that you will pick up on the more you race. You will find yourself anticipating the car ahead, and learning to look beyond the car to help in that anticipation. Just give it a little time and effort and you will find it easier and easier.

DubAyyys
30-01-2018, 15:14
Have you ever considered driving in VR? With a beefy system like yours that would be a great experience. Judging distances than becomes easy as in real life.

I had over 200 hours on pCars2 on ps4 and always utilized cockpit cam. With all the time I spent online I still would not have the greatest ability to judge the distance in front of me to be able to maintain an attack through a corner while playing on a flat screen. Now that I've jumped to PC and the Rift, I can stick to the rear bumper of the most random individual online without causing issues. VR is amazing for distance and speed. Before I would have to wait for either passing on the straights with a nice tow from slipstream or I'd put enough pressure to cause an error of the opponent but now in VR I can make use of even the opponent running the slightest bit wide on an apex, judge the distance I am making up on them much better and pass even through tight corners while staying in my line and giving them room. It's amazing what the difference of VR makes in my experience.

thevilleky
30-01-2018, 16:12
Wow OP, fairly new to racing games and 1600 posts? I haven't made 1600 posts about video games combined in the last 20 years. Any who to answer your question if you are having a real issue with braking the field of view may be your issue. I was having the same trouble and I'm not new to racing games, though only been racing sim games for about 3 years. Here's a link to a post I did on FOV. It made a massive difference in my ability to race door to door and bumper to bumper and never run any to people anymore.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58865-Change-your-FOV-now-to-be-faster

On another note, while the proximity sensor is an interesting idea you would have to look at it, and if you get your fov set right then it would make a lot more sense to look at the cars and judge distance not look at a sensor. Mess with the fov settings and see if that doesn't fix you up. Plus practice on the tracks, know your braking points, and as others have noted anticipate. If you go in 3 or 4 wide on big wide corners like the first two at brno there is going to be some crazy braking by the ai and you are going to have to brake different based on your line into those corners. If you don't anticipate the ai, even being able to judge distance, you may end up booting somebody.

thevilleky
30-01-2018, 16:15
The best proximity sensor you can find are the Mark IV iBall. They are free to anyone who wants to use them and once you learn the in's and out's of the sensor you will ask why you did not use them before.

Learning how to navigate traffic is a difficult task but one that you will pick up on the more you race. You will find yourself anticipating the car ahead, and learning to look beyond the car to help in that anticipation. Just give it a little time and effort and you will find it easier and easier.

I race with the Mark V iball package, it's made of steel, so others often note I have balls of steel when I drive.

iggy
30-01-2018, 16:32
Am I not understanding what your asking for? Because, there is a feature in PC2 that shows arrows on your screen that point toward a car near you, etc... I forget what it's called... radar I think, but it's there on my PS4 version of PC2

Rodders
30-01-2018, 17:08
Nope I have to say it. Tried not too but I have to - you already have a front facing proximity sensor. It’s built into your head. I think you call them eyes :D

Seriously though, the whole reason for proximity sensors are to help you in situations you can’t see enough to navigate. Unless you drive not looking out the front window or have a medical condition which affects your ability to see and judge distance to the car in front, then you have ample information already to tell how close you are, certainly more than enough to race. I mean how close do you want to get lol?

eracerhead
30-01-2018, 20:57
No one's said the obvious, but if you honestly can't evaluate whether or not you're too close under braking, you are too close. Ease up going on the entry into the first-corner and let traffic open up before making your moves forward.

Azure Flare
31-01-2018, 02:38
Your "front proximity sensor" is your eyes.

NateDawg
31-01-2018, 03:08
I don't see what value a front proximity sensor would give that your eyes can't tell you already. How is knowing you're 20m behind any more relevant than being 5m or 1m? You hit your braking points, they will hit theirs. Add a little extra caution when people are in front of you until you know where their braking points. Leave at least a car length between you and car in front to allow you to react if they brake suddenly or earlier than you'd anticipate. Then if you can brake deeper in to certain corners, that's your chance for an overtake.

The thing you see a lot online is people trying to win the race on the first corner and causing mayhem. The other thing you see is a lot of poor passing moves because they think they will only have one shot at the over take. Practice following people rather than trying to overtake them at the first opportunity. There is no shame in finishing behind someone else, and often pressure will force them in to a mistake and an easier overtake for you!