PDA

View Full Version : Rain setup

Baltha27
30-01-2018, 15:17
So iam about to drive on road america in a ford GTE in RAIN(1hour race) and about to try to make a rain race setup currently I have lowed the tire pressure.... and anti rollbar is going up....also raised the backend a little is there anytings else I can do to make it more stable( pretty damn hard to control the car in rain ) and secondary a little faster???

Schnizz58
30-01-2018, 15:23
I would soften the rollbar, not stiffen it. I would also soften the dampers and maybe springs too. I'd use less camber and more downforce. I would lower TC and raise ABS. If there is power-on oversteer coming out of corners, I'd increase the power ramp angle on the diff.

I'm not sure about tire pressure. You might need to raise it because the tires will not be heating up as much.

Baltha27
30-01-2018, 15:48
How much will you soften the rollbar dampers etc???

Schnizz58
30-01-2018, 15:58
I'd start at one or two clicks and go from there. Since the tires won't have as much traction, there will be less weight transfer to the outside tires when you turn. Softening the suspension will allow more body roll but the penalty is that steering will be less responsive. If you go too far, the steering will feel mushy.

sbart_uk
02-02-2018, 01:55
In the wet everything that is important in the dry is multiplied. Get your braking done as soon as possible and the power on earlier than in the dry. This will give you a massive advantage down the straights compared to 90% of people who are trying to go through the corners faster in the wet. Softer is generally better but the faster the track the more downforce/stiffer you want the car and vice versa.

maxx69
02-02-2018, 11:42
http://youtu.be/U0WnCPNTtPQ
This helped me a lot , it's made for pcars 1 but uses the same logic .
Hopefully it'll help you :cool:

Stitcher_ch
12-03-2018, 16:18
I just used this approach for the Lotus 49’at Monza in the rain and won first try after hours of crashing.

Mon Pavion
13-03-2018, 14:27
I'd increase the power ramp angle on the diff.

Wouldnt increasing the power ramp angle make the car MORE unstable when getting back on the throttle? More likely for the tires to break loose in the wet?

Bealdor
13-03-2018, 14:31
Wouldnt increasing the power ramp angle make the car MORE unstable when getting back on the throttle? More likely for the tires to break loose in the wet?

No. Increasing the power ramp angle will DEcrease acc diff locking and therefore reduce the chances for power oversteer.

Mon Pavion
13-03-2018, 14:54
No. Increasing the power ramp angle will DEcrease acc diff locking and therefore reduce the chances for power oversteer.

My understanding of differentials is woefully inadequate

Zeratall
20-03-2018, 04:25
downforce, downforce, downforce. to dumb down the physics (almost too much) the maximum grip force is F=N*(Cfriction). Cfriction is a function of road conditions (surface roughness and tire compound) and we cannot change that in the setup, however with more downforce, your increasing your normal force which will result in a higher maximum grip force.

Shnoo80
01-02-2019, 09:40
I struggled with rain setup u til I discovered 2 game changers:
1. Tire pressure as low as possible (I set 1.3)
2. Positive camber angle

Pressure makes the tires worn fast, but they are at least warmer and good on breaking through the puddles
2. Is opposite to what I thought, coz I read hints, that negative camber gives better handling in turns. Reality is that with positive camber, I feel like car is glued to the track. It is a bit slower in turns, but sooo much stable.

Give it a try!

blinkngone
01-02-2019, 10:06
2. Positive camber angle

Pressure makes the tires worn fast, but they are at least warmer and good on breaking through the puddles
2. Is opposite to what I thought, coz I read hints, that negative camber gives better handling in turns. Reality is that with positive camber, I feel like car is glued to the track. It is a bit slower in turns, but sooo much stable.

Give it a try!

Positive camber isn't possible for all cars. Many GT4 and GT3 cars can't get there. LMP900, LMP2 among others as well. Possible you meant toe.

blinkngone
01-02-2019, 11:15
2. Positive camber angle

Give it a try!

FYI, some of the modern tires have sidewalls that are really stiff. You can run low air pressure and the sidewalls won't deform but what this means is you are running on the sidewall and not the tread. For some cars you want the pressures higher so the rain grooves will work more efficiently at pumping the water out away from the contact surface.