PDA

View Full Version : Back from Daytona with some thoughts

sp3ctor
31-01-2018, 04:53
First - I've driven the track a LOT in PC2 and this was my first chance to see the 24 Hours of Daytona so it was fascinating to see how it looks in real life vs. in PC2. Overall, I was really pretty impressed by how closely things matched between what I've seen in PC2 and the real thing. It was amazingly fun to bore my friend with stories that started "so in PC2..." until he just started cutting me off.

The BIGGEST difference I noticed was in sound. The 911 in person and the 911 in the game are totally different sounding cars. In person, it was by far the most mindnumbingly loud car there and I think we settled on it sounding like a "cat with a thumb up its butt" - just amazingly loud and high pitched... and not at all what it sounds like in PC2. The other big difference from the game were the AMGs that were almost the opposite of the 911 - all low end rumbling like a fat guy farting in a tub. Again, the PC2 version just doesn't sound right.

The BMW, Audi, and Acura were almost totally silent in person, while the corvettes, Fords, Lambos, Ferraris and prototypes sounded pretty nice and growly.

Hopefully some new sound tweaks are coming, particularly for the 911...

The other cool thing to notice was weather moving across some parts of the track and not others much like in the game. On Sunday there would be very light rain on some parts of the track with other parts of the track remaining totally dry.

On a side note: if you ever get a chance to go, do it. It's an incredibly cheap ticket and the access is insane. You can stand close enough in the garages with a garage pass that you stand a pretty good chance of getting injured. Legit watched one of the Ferrari teams have to move people out of the garage before refiring a car that had caught fire... about five seconds after it restarted without exploding, the crowds were pushing back into the garage. Unsafe? Probably...

Wayne Kerr
31-01-2018, 04:58
i have a feeling you're thinking the RSR, not the GT3R. i heard that thing at the roar, it seemed to fit your description.

sp3ctor
31-01-2018, 05:11
i have a feeling you're thinking the RSR, not the GT3R. i heard that thing at the roar, it seemed to fit your description.

It's possible - I was pretty punchy by the end of it and really haven't quite recovered yet. Too many track side chicken tenders and not enough sleep.

LM24z
31-01-2018, 05:28
Hoping we get the DPi cars in the game.

sp3ctor
31-01-2018, 05:33
Hoping we get the DPi cars in the game.

Same - that would be rad.

barcode
31-01-2018, 07:42
...like a fat guy farting in a tub...

:cool: ...made my day...

AbeWoz
31-01-2018, 10:58

def agree. OP must be talking about the GTLM RSR. Went to Lime Rock last year, and that thing screams like a banshee. GT3 cars are all virtually silent compared to the LMP's and GTLM cars.

SlowBloke
31-01-2018, 14:14
Im guessing one of the best bits is you see a lot of the track from the stands ?

Most tracks Ive been to you dont see them for long alas (Oulton Park / Donnington / Silverstone) although back straight Malaysia you got some fairly decent viewing.

Went to the WEC @ Silverstone last year - and loved how close you can get to the cars vs my experience with 3 F1 races (when they sounded good 1999, 2004 & 2005).

The LMP2s were probably the most vocal with the Astons. Was surprised how quiet the LMP1s were..

For sure the in game Porsche is not the GTE one - I hope we are getting that in the Porsche expansion.

sp3ctor
31-01-2018, 15:58
Im guessing one of the best bits is you see a lot of the track from the stands ?

Most tracks Ive been to you dont see them for long alas (Oulton Park / Donnington / Silverstone) although back straight Malaysia you got some fairly decent viewing.

Yes, the stands are very close to the track and there are plenty of places one can simply stand with a fence and a small barrier between one and the track. Since it's all enclosed in an oval, you can get to most of the track relatively quickly and from parts of the stands you can see other bits of the track as well.

If you get the garage pass, you can literally stand right next to guys as they work on cars if you want. It's pretty amazing access even compared to a hotpass for NASCAR.

I'll ask since I obviously got this wrong... what's the difference between the RSR car and the GTLM car, besides insane noise levels? What's creating that sound?

AbeWoz
31-01-2018, 16:04
Yes, the stands are very close to the track and there are plenty of places one can simply stand with a fence and a small barrier between one and the track. Since it's all enclosed in an oval, you can get to most of the track relatively quickly and from parts of the stands you can see other bits of the track as well.

If you get the garage pass, you can literally stand right next to guys as they work on cars if you want. It's pretty amazing access even compared to a hotpass for NASCAR.

I'll ask since I obviously got this wrong... what's the difference between the RSR car and the GTLM car, besides insane noise levels? What's creating that sound?

RSR is the GTLM car.
The GT3 R (currently in-game) is the GT3 car.

The RSR has the 'mid-rear engine' layout to take full advantage of the new-for-2016 GTE aero regs. Only used in IMSA and WEC.

The 911 GT3 R is the global homolgated GT3 car. Features the traditional rear-engine porsche DNA and can be used in any GT3 series around the globe.

sp3ctor
31-01-2018, 16:57
RSR is the GTLM car.
The GT3 R (currently in-game) is the GT3 car.

The RSR has the 'mid-rear engine' layout to take full advantage of the new-for-2016 GTE aero regs. Only used in IMSA and WEC.

The 911 GT3 R is the global homolgated GT3 car. Features the traditional rear-engine porsche DNA and can be used in any GT3 series around the globe.

Ahhh ok. Got it. Thanks for the description!

Poulka
01-02-2018, 00:15
Track wise I have to agree never been to an “official”event there but toured Daytona and stood at the catch by the Sonoco sign coming out of four. They has some racing school cars running that day topping at about 140 and only time I lost them was in middle of one. But PC2 has Daytona nailed, man I think I would double over if I went to 24 Hours of Daytona. I would be on octane high for about 10 weeks, compared to when I went my last NASCAR races at Dover and Charlotte 1991 and 1992. Those gave me an octane for about a month especially 1992 went two races two weeks apart, cherish that memory.

sp3ctor
03-02-2018, 01:47
Track wise I have to agree never been to an “official”event there but toured Daytona and stood at the catch by the Sonoco sign coming out of four. They has some racing school cars running that day topping at about 140 and only time I lost them was in middle of one. But PC2 has Daytona nailed, man I think I would double over if I went to 24 Hours of Daytona. I would be on octane high for about 10 weeks, compared to when I went my last NASCAR races at Dover and Charlotte 1991 and 1992. Those gave me an octane for about a month especially 1992 went two races two weeks apart, cherish that memory.

Honestly it was a fantastic event. I’ve been to Indy at Watkins Glen and a bunch of NASCAR races but the access you get for (comparatively) little money is amazing at IMSA events. It’s the first time but it certainly won’t be the last!

3800racingfool
03-02-2018, 04:06
def agree. OP must be talking about the GTLM RSR. Went to Lime Rock last year, and that thing screams like a banshee. GT3 cars are all virtually silent compared to the LMP's and GTLM cars.

Yea he's definitely talking about the GTLM car. I was at Road America last year and was standing next to the damn thing when it fired and I about had to go back to the hotel for new pants. The GT3/D cars sound much quieter and honestly, a lot nicer (they've got that flat 6 sound that's always talked about).

As far as Daytona goes, it's definitely very well done in-game. You drive it pretty much exactly the way it's driven in real life. The only nitpick I'd have is with that weird wall in the PC2 version along pit lane (right side as you're driving down it). I've never seen that there in real life.

Poulka
04-02-2018, 02:57
Honestly it was a fantastic event. I’ve been to Indy at Watkins Glen and a bunch of NASCAR races but the access you get for (comparatively) little money is amazing at IMSA events. It’s the first time but it certainly won’t be the last!

You have definitely given me something to look into. Have to check into this.

rosko
04-02-2018, 09:48
whatever happened to Daytona Beach? did they drop that idea?