PDA

View Full Version : Can you actually force the AI into a mistake?

Nint
05-02-2018, 15:15
You know when you stick very close to an opponent car's tail, and your crew chief says something along the lines of "keep pressing on, and he'll make a mistake"?
Does that dialogue actually trigger any lines in the code that directly influence AI's behaviour and performance? Or is it just some "cinematic" dialogue to make the race seem more dramatic?

It's something I wanted to ask for a while, but I always forgot! :P

bmanic
05-02-2018, 15:20
I don't think it's possible to force them to do any mistakes.. but if you drive really close to them, the AI path finding seems to go a bit nuts (perhaps the player avoidance code kicks in) so it sometimes feels as if they do mistakes.. but you need to be really close, like bumper to bumper.

Maskmagog
05-02-2018, 15:36
I think I remember Doug talking about pressuring AI to make mistakes, if you stay close. Supposedly easier at the end of longer races, simulating a more tired driver.

sas5320
05-02-2018, 16:07
well, they have no "nerves" so their concentration cannot be shaken, very much robots. You can crowd them towards the outside and then they will suddenly realize they cannot get to their bestline or waypoint and hit the brakes and lose all momentum. That's really about it.

davidt33
05-02-2018, 16:11
You can frustrate them if you slow down enough when they're behind you trying to pass and not allowing them to.

thevilleky
05-02-2018, 16:17
I know AI is always a bit of a touchy subject but I'd like to see some more variability. Minor mistakes, not necessarily something that would take you out, but breaking to early, missing the best line, apexing to early or late. They may do some of this stuff and depending on car type, track, and aggression they will overtake each other, but I'd like to see a bit more variability. I usually run at 80 to 85 ai ability and usually win or am in the top 3, so maybe the top few cars just don't make mistakes like the rest of the pack.

Aphelion71
05-02-2018, 18:28
This weekend I was playing career mode in the formula Renault, in silverstone some of the AI gone wide and outside the track when taking the “copse” curve, at monza during the practice I watched an AI to spin after the first chicane and during the race the 2nd place hit me in the back and lost one of his wheels (he had to retire). I was playing with 75 difficulty and aggression.
I like whe this things happens, it makes it more enjoyable.

iggy
05-02-2018, 19:28
Just show um the chrome horn... I've never minded getting aggressive with AI cars.

But personally , I've never really seen them make a mistake.

DubAyyys
05-02-2018, 20:54
Touring Cars and GT5 I've had many mistakes by AI happen after being glued to their rear end, most of which was described earlier; the code for hit detection appears to cause them to fault while judging their lines. Also seen spins and other AI going wide far ahead of my presence as well. I rock 92 difficulty and 78 aggression.

Bealdor
05-02-2018, 21:09
well, they have no "nerves" so their concentration cannot be shaken, very much robots. You can crowd them towards the outside and then they will suddenly realize they cannot get to their bestline or waypoint and hit the brakes and lose all momentum. That's really about it.

They do have some kind of nerves. If you overtake one they're more likely to try to get that place back quickly.

Just show um the chrome horn... I've never minded getting aggressive with AI cars.

But personally , I've never really seen them make a mistake.

Yesterday during a GTE qualifying at Sakitto, an Aston Martin spun out during braking into turn 1 and he wasn't close to me at all.

Jetsun
05-02-2018, 22:15
I can easily make them fly in the air with my Formula Rookie :onthego: :drunk: :topsy_turvy:

Gloomy
06-02-2018, 05:30
I forced a few mistakes in the Porsche cayman career. I was in 3rd riding second place fast into a corner and he ended up spinning out in front of me allowing me to pass. It was pretty cool to watch.

Atak Kat
06-02-2018, 05:51
I also have not seen the AI make major mistakes in career mode. At least not mistakes that would cause them to lose control like us mere mortals often do.

Where I do see it is when you are pushing, and make a bit of a lunge up the inside line on a corner. In those cases, I find that they tend to make a quick correction more to the outside. And sometimes they lose their grip and fall back, or even end up in a bit of fishtail that sometimes they recover, sometimes not. Not sure if that qualifies as a mistake or not, but it's the only thing I've really seen.

In opposite, they seem mostly bulletproof and god-like when the track is wet. This is where I'd expect an AI mistake, any mistake. But I find it almost impossible when I'm in a career race that goes from dry to wet. Even if I build up a big lead, change to wets, they still make huge gains on me after the track gets pretty wet.

shiftee
07-02-2018, 15:36
I would like to see the AI go offtrack more, not spin out but get a couple wheels off and get back on etc. I don't even get to enjoy the particle system anymore with the grass and dirt flying up and driving through the dust clouds. plus its fun to have to quickly adjust to an unexpected accident or car coming back onto the track.

I would see this all the time in Pars1 even on high difficulty levels, in Pcars2 they all stay on the track at almost all times. all ducks in a row sometimes. I appreciate a little more variety and organic racing, I kind of miss the Pcars1 AI - unless I am somehow mis-remembering with my rose colored glasses..

Zaskarspants
07-02-2018, 15:43
I would like to see the AI go offtrack more, not spin out but get a couple wheels off and get back on etc. I don't even get to enjoy the particle system anymore with the grass and dirt flying up and driving through the dust clouds. plus its fun to have to quickly adjust to an unexpected accident or car coming back onto the track.

I would see this all the time in Pars1 even on high difficulty levels, in Pcars2 they all stay on the track at almost all times. all ducks in a row sometimes. I appreciate a little more variety and organic racing, I kind of miss the Pcars1 AI - unless I am somehow mis-remembering with my rose colored glasses..

All I miss from Pcars1 regarding particles is the piles of leaves that flew and and landed just the same. :-)

I don't recognize what you see in pcars2. I only race AI, at 90 - 110 / 100, and I find it gripping. The AI throw up dust and gravel as they hit grass / gravel and dirt in mOst of my races. I see it, I hear when they hit it and sometimes the gravel they throw up hits me.

I have also often seen AI cars go off and spread gravel over the track on rejoining.

Edit - sorry, I just saw you are on PC. PC2 has a much higher min spec than pc1 and it maybe that your particles are on low? I hesitate to say more as I am not a pc gamer.

Schnizz58
07-02-2018, 15:57
I also have not seen the AI make major mistakes in career mode. At least not mistakes that would cause them to lose control like us mere mortals often do.
This probably isn't the kind of mistake you're talking about but I saw one make a massive mistake in RallyX right after I got the game. This isn't really relevant to the discussion but I thought it was funny so I'm gonna mention it anyway.

I had just got the game so I was trying out some of the new racing modes and I had set up a Rallycross race. Early in the race I spun and the rest of the pack passed me like I was standing still (I was). I got going again and the rest of the field was down at the other end of the circuit and I see something going straight up into the air. It was one of the AI cars! It launched waaaaay up into the air -- guessing about 50 feet -- and then crashed back down to the ground. I wish I had been closer so that I could have seen what caused it.

Zaskarspants
07-02-2018, 16:03
This probably isn't the kind of mistake you're talking about but I saw one make a massive mistake in RallyX right after I got the game. This isn't really relevant to the discussion but I thought it was funny so I'm gonna mention it anyway.

I had just got the game so I was trying out some of the new racing modes and I had set up a Rallycross race. Early in the race I spun and the rest of the pack passed me like I was standing still (I was). I got going again and the rest of the field was down at the other end of the circuit and I see something going straight up into the air. It was one of the AI cars! It launched waaaaay up into the air -- guessing about 50 feet -- and then crashed back down to the ground. I wish I had been closer so that I could have seen what caused it.

This happened to me, to the car I was driving. I had just come over that rise in the first section on the Nordschleife where the car can fly, and I did in a group c flat out and hit a car that had just spun. I nearly went into orbit but sadly I didn't think to record it and it has not happened again in 200 hours since.

banner77amc
07-02-2018, 16:59
I've found that taunting them incessantly does not work. Also introducing a sexual innuendo when its raining does not work.

Schnizz58
07-02-2018, 17:11
I've found that taunting them incessantly does not work. Also introducing a sexual innuendo when its raining does not work.

Nor does comparing their parents to hamsters and elderberries.