PDA

View Full Version : UDP or Shared Memory

inthebagbud
05-02-2018, 18:55
Hi

I have just moved to PC and wondered if there is any advantage to using shared memory over UDP for 3rd party apps

Thanks

Mahjik
05-02-2018, 19:06
UDP is a broadcast approach which can have an impact on your home network (depending on your setup). Shared Memory will not have that impact but it also reduces what you can use for your 3rd Party app (i.e. unless the app has a local component, you can't use a mobile device for the 3rd party app).

In general, Shared Memory will be the best option.

mr_belowski
05-02-2018, 19:48
If you can use shared memory, use it. There are lots of differences between UDP and shared memory, the main difference being shared memory actually works. UDP only works properly in pcars 1 mode and even then there are bugs - some stuff isn't consistent between the pcars 1 version of the pcars 1 API and the pcars 2 version of the pcars 1 api

There's a lot more data in the pcars 2 shared memory compared to the pcars 1 UDP

inthebagbud
05-02-2018, 22:01
Many thanks for taking time to answer shared memory it is then

inthebagbud
06-02-2018, 07:31
Ha you thought I had gone away

Doing more reading and see that there are some concerns about the Pcars 2 UDP output by the app providers and that PCars 1 output should be used - is this the case with regard to shared memory output?

I assume that I can have both shared memory and UDP running at the same time to use apps that use either one or the other?

Thanks again

satco1066
07-02-2018, 13:48
yes you can use both.
e.g. i use Pc2 shared memory for Simvibe and PC1 UDP for 2 different dashboards

inthebagbud
07-02-2018, 15:56
yes you can use both.
e.g. i use Pc2 shared memory for Simvibe and PC1 UDP for 2 different dashboards

Many thanks I did try this last session with Vrhive in shared memory but couldn't get the software to read anything - UDP was fine - so I will keep plugging away

Mahjik
07-02-2018, 16:11
You have to verify whether the app you are using supports PC1 or PC2 shared memory (and set PC2 accordingly).

inthebagbud
08-02-2018, 18:32
You have to verify whether the app you are using supports PC1 or PC2 shared memory (and set PC2 accordingly).

Yes what I didn't realise was that to use shared memory the app needed to run on the gaming PC:cower:

Alfred
02-11-2018, 19:02
Hallo i use simhub and more dashboards ( SLI-Pro Simdisplay) ,when enable shared Memory and UDP i have stuttering please help me thanks