PDA

View Full Version : The perfect standing start

Pisan777
10-02-2018, 03:16
Ola mi amigos! Any advice on how to nail the perfect standing start? Using a wheel w no h pattern shifter

hkraft300
10-02-2018, 05:14
Depends on turbo vs NA.
NA cars I'll often slip the clutch at low revs for a few meters then drop the clutch and mash the gas. Ride the torque up. Feather throttle to avoid too much wheelspin.

Turbo cars I'll slip the clutch at full throttle and I'll modulate the clutch to keep the revs high and on boost.
You can also full throttle clutch dump if 1st gear is <100kmh/60mph and balance throttle for wheelspin, but you're screwed if you bog it.

Atak Kat
10-02-2018, 07:40
I had a lot of issues with my starts that always annoyed me. Over time though, they are getting better. And i think can also be impacted by the cars setup.
I have never adjusted any setup, thinking about the start. But I suspect some of these things that I usually do in my setup are also helping my starts.
Most of this is from GT3 cars
- softer rear suspension. Like very soft. I think it helps with the offline start
- tire pressure lower (my cold settings are usually 1.30 to 1.40 depending the track, temps, etc)
- correct hard/soft tires for the track temp conditions
- TC slip I'm usually around 15%. +/- 2 or 3 % only. Always tend to be in that range.
- TC usually I run HIGH. When driving, sometimes switch to LOW, depending how the laps are going. Almost never OFF (so far)
- Diff Power I'm tending to be around 60. Depending the car and situation. Not sure if it makes a difference to the start though?

Then while on the line, I have a clutch pedal, so that helps.
- hold clutch in, and rev, cuz thats fun.
- when the 2nd last red starting light comes on (so the one before GREEN), I put the car into 1st gear. Not before. I find that even if the clutch is in, when in 1st gear, the car tends to roll a bit. And I've been DQed before for that stupidity.
- Revs near redline, but not floored, and not bouncing off the rev-limiter.
- when GREEN, I just let out the clutch (not instantly, but pretty quickly), and hit the gas (again, not instantly, but pretty quick). I'm not really trying to do any sort of modulation with the clutch/gas. Just smoothly, and at the same time. I don't just stand on the gas, and dump the clutch...

Usually get a bit of wheel slip, but not dramatic. Car is definitely staying pretty straight. You still have to watch and pay attention, but it seems to launch fairly well for me. Especially with the Porsche GT3, I am now getting excellent starts (before was a disaster, now, i often gain several spots just at the start)

Vic Flange
10-02-2018, 07:52
Any tips on getting the Lotus 98T off the line ? I’m either too slow or like a sidewinder missile riding a wave of turbo boost. :D

Mike1304
10-02-2018, 08:13
I have problems with good starts too, especially in snow/wet conditions. I still experiment with revving, timing of clutch and so on.
Then I read somewhere that in PC2 the clutch isn’t even recognised and you can shift without using clutch at all, although auto-clutch is turned off. Is this true or is it a myth? Is this a bug? If yes, is it solved with latest 1.4 update?
I mean: is the right usage of the clutch important for good starts and good racing or is it really not recognised in this game and all my efforts with clutch experimenting are useless?

Atak Kat
10-02-2018, 08:39
The clutch works for me. If you engage it, no power to the wheels. So it does impact the start and you can. It is also progressive.

The bug or issue is as you describe. That you can still shift gears, even if you don't use the clutch.

But if you use it, it works as it should.

hkraft300
10-02-2018, 09:53
- softer rear suspension. Like very soft. I think it helps with the offline start

I find this terrible for handling. Understeer everywhere and, to mitigate, you have to heavily trail brake everywhere. Burns out front tires faster than I'd like.

- when GREEN, I just let out the clutch (not instantly, but pretty quickly), and hit the gas (again, not instantly, but pretty quick). I'm not really trying to do any sort of modulation with the clutch/gas. Just smoothly, and at the same time. I don't just stand on the gas, and dump the clutch...

Some NA GT cars (AMG, C7R, Aston GTE, 911, Ginetta...) I will full throttle clutch dump off the line sometimes and feather throttle to not spin it too much. I'll have my toes on the brakes, heel on the throttle with the clutch in. Then just before green I'll come off the brakes.

Any tips on getting the Lotus 98T off the line ? I’m either too slow or like a sidewinder missile riding a wave of turbo boost. :D

Sidewinder or go home :)
Reduce 1st gear ratio and short shift once you're on boost.

Then I read somewhere that in PC2 the clutch isn’t even recognised and you can shift without using clutch at all, although auto-clutch is turned off. Is this true or is it a myth? Is this a bug? If yes, is it solved with latest 1.4 update?
I mean: is the right usage of the clutch important for good starts and good racing or is it really not recognised in this game and all my efforts with clutch experimenting are useless?

You can shift without clutch, just like you can in real life in any H-shift manual car. Just maybe the damage modelling is a bit lenient. Right usage of clutch is very important: you want to balance revs, clutch slip and tire slip for maximum traction and the best launch. It is recognised just fine in this game.

Vic Flange
10-02-2018, 10:20
Sidewinder or go home :)
Reduce 1st gear ratio and short shift once you're on boost.

Adjusting 1st gear makes sense. Should also make the car more manageable out of very slow corners.
I have tried again this morning and have had some success from gently blipping the throttle just as the revs hit the ‘sidewinder’ zone. :)
Managed to get into the first corner without losing a place which is promising.

Atak Kat
10-02-2018, 10:46
I find this terrible for handling. Understeer everywhere and, to mitigate, you have to heavily trail brake everywhere. Burns out front tires faster than I'd like

I'm not really finding that too much, actually. I've found some good balance now with the diff adjustments (a lot based on your comments in other threads). Maybe all my other settings are cocked up but somehow this works well for me. If I don't keep the rear end soft, then I seem to end up with too much oversteer.

Pisan777
10-02-2018, 11:27
So. Need t turn auto clutch off. Right? I am mainly talking about car that he paddle shifters

hkraft300
10-02-2018, 13:18
Adjusting 1st gear makes sense. Should also make the car more manageable out of very slow corners.

You want to keep it in sidewinder zone, that's the truck with it.
When you're off-boost, you gas it to get moving. Then, suddenly boost while you still got the gas pinned. You want to be on boost so you're expecting and ready for the turbo kick. Shift up as it breaks traction. I'll tune 1st and 2nd short enough for wheelspin, then stretch out 3rd for traction, 4th and 5th to stay in the power band.

So. Need t turn auto clutch off. Right? I am mainly talking about car that he paddle shifters

Personally I turn auto-clutch off for all sequential cars. Use my clutch on take off and flat shift the rest.
I'll use auto clutch driving h-shift cars, because I can't coordinate paddles with the clutch. It's not normal.

Pisan777
10-02-2018, 13:45
Awesome thank you very much

Mike1304
11-02-2018, 08:43
Ah I have another question concerning “perfect start”. In some starting situations (Nordschleife when starting from last place for example) you start on a hill and therefore the car would start rolling immediately. So it seems that I have to keep my right foot on the brake pedal the whole time until lights go green. But this keeps my right foot from doing what it would normally do (revving...).

What’s the best starting procedure for starting on a steep hill (in game and in real life)?

Atak Kat
11-02-2018, 08:49
Probably e-brake button mapped, then release at green.

hkraft300
11-02-2018, 09:39
What’s the best starting procedure for starting on a steep hill (in game and in real life)?

Heel toe.
Toes on the brakes, heel kick the throttle.
Then you can release the brakes and gas it at the same time.

I do the same on the street, but I'll no not a lot slower. You'll have the time to balance the throttle and clutch to keep the car still, but not for too long or you'll cook your clutch.

The other option is mentioned above: if you can't balance your foot on the brake and throttle, you can keep the revs up and hold the e-brake on.

Egg90
11-02-2018, 11:08

Both of the above, some cars have a handbrake you can assign to a wheel button. The ones without you can put right foot on edge of brake and roll it back and forth onto throttle at an angle. Then at green light slide your foot over to throttle only. If your pedals are adjustable you can move them closer together to help.

Ofnir4
11-02-2018, 13:15

What kind of car are we talking about ? Automatic ? h pattern ?

With a manual and some knowledge of your car, the clutch is all you need to keep the car still on any "non flat" surface. Bite point for the win.

hkraft300
11-02-2018, 13:22
. Bite point for the win.

Ye. That burns out the clutch if you're on it too long, so you'll have to anticipate the green.

Atak Kat
11-02-2018, 13:37
What kind of car are we talking about ? Automatic ? h pattern ?

With a manual and some knowledge of your car, the clutch is all you need to keep the car still on any "non flat" surface. Bite point for the win.

and if it's downhill? isn't the california highway on a bit of a downhill? I always roll ahead there.

Ofnir4
11-02-2018, 17:39
E-brake and clutch, easy. :D Find you bite bite point, disengage the e-brake and go. Again, you are not meant to do it for 10 seconds before the start. Preserving the clutch is only necessary in long races or for cars that use/abuse it a lot. In a modern GT car, LMP etc; the clutch is for the start, pitting and parking it after you won thanks to that awesome start.

sylekta
12-02-2018, 03:44
handbrake does nothing for me in gt3 (ferrari) as soon as i engage gear with clutch in i start rolling
i have handbrake bound to a button and it doesnt do jack...

hkraft300
12-02-2018, 04:01
handbrake does nothing for me in gt3 (ferrari) as soon as i engage gear with clutch in i start rolling
i have handbrake bound to a button and it doesnt do jack...

Most race cars don't have handbrake.

ATSS
12-02-2018, 06:27
Just use the normal brake.

sylekta
12-02-2018, 06:40
Most race cars don't have handbrake.
yeah good point

i really struggle launching the ferrari, it just bogs no matter how much i try to roll off the clutch, is it because its turbo?
the best method i have found is to disable traction control and just drop the clutch at just skid off the line

in NA cars, like the audi or porsche you can just drop the clutch full throttle and get amazing starts even with tcs on

hkraft300
12-02-2018, 06:49
Narrow power band of turbo cars. Maybe TC cuts power too much and the turbo cars just fall off boost?
I full throttle clutch dump the turbo cars too, then feather the throttle to keep a hold of it.

sylekta
12-02-2018, 06:59
Narrow power band of turbo cars. Maybe TC cuts power too much and the turbo cars just fall off boost?
I full throttle clutch dump the turbo cars too, then feather the throttle to keep a hold of it.

with tcs off? cause ive tried with tcs on, even with really high slip settings like 50% banging it off the limiter soon as clutch is dumped it just bogs to like 2k rpm

wesker6664
12-02-2018, 07:22
On the Ferrari GT3 you need to give 100% throttle and then modulate the clutch. This way you can get a very good start, not like the Porsche but good enough

hkraft300
12-02-2018, 08:19
with tcs off? cause ive tried with tcs on, even with really high slip settings like 50% banging it off the limiter soon as clutch is dumped it just bogs to like 2k rpm

I don't use TC. You could turn it off for the race start, then after you take off, go through the ICM and turn it on.

sylekta
12-02-2018, 18:25
On the Ferrari GT3 you need to give 100% throttle and then modulate the clutch. This way you can get a very good start, not like the Porsche but good enough

What do you mean modulate? I have some high end sim pedals that can calibrate the bite point of the clutch so I have tried riding the clutch out barely to the point it bites and it still bogs
Do I need to calibrate the bite point larger? Also does having auto clutch on/off make any difference? with it on, i can still engage clutch and do a manual start, and I have tried with it off and seems to make no difference

Pisan777
12-02-2018, 22:49
It’s a paddle shift gt4 and the clutch pedal doesn’t work

Pisan777
12-02-2018, 22:53
Can’t assign handbrake, even when I switch auto clutch off, the clutch pedal does nothing

hkraft300
12-02-2018, 23:38
Which paddle shift gt4? Aston?
Have you calibrated and assigned the clutch pedal?
Clutch worked fine for me when I drove the Aston rolling out of the pits.

What do you mean modulate? I have some high end sim pedals that can calibrate the bite point of the clutch so I have tried riding the clutch out barely to the point it bites and it still bogs
Do I need to calibrate the bite point larger? Also does having auto clutch on/off make any difference? with it on, i can still engage clutch and do a manual start, and I have tried with it off and seems to make no difference

Manual clutch input pretty much overrides auto-clutch.

If you're riding the clutch and it still bogs, it could be calibrated wrong. TC doesn't intervene until the slip threshold (10%, 20% whatever you have set) is passed.

wesker6664
13-02-2018, 07:49

Like you said yourself the biting point of your clutch pedal probably needs some fine tuning because it works very well for me (i personally disable auto clutch - clutch sensitivity at 50)

sylekta
13-02-2018, 21:02
Like you said yourself the biting point of your clutch pedal probably needs some fine tuning because it works very well for me (i personally disable auto clutch - clutch sensitivity at 50)

any chance you could demo how you launch with the telemetry view up so i can see where the clutch should be calibrated?

ant1897
14-02-2018, 13:53
The way i do it is a little different. And I'm off the line faster than 95% of drivers I race against.

Brakes and N untill the last red light. Brakes and 1st gear on the last red light. Then anticipate the green, right before it goes green, floor the throttle. On green release brakes. Then modulate throttle to control wheel spin.

You obviously have to get the timing right. If you're too early, the car will bog down. If you're too late there will be a fair amount of clutch slip. But it you get it just right.... Ill usually make up 2-3 spots right on the start by using this technique.

hkraft300
14-02-2018, 14:01
So you're just brake+ throttle, no clutch?
How are you doing that? Auto- clutch?

ant1897
14-02-2018, 14:30
So you're just brake+ throttle, no clutch?
How are you doing that? Auto- clutch?

Yep. Auto-clutch on.

sylekta
15-02-2018, 02:28
The way i do it is a little different. And I'm off the line faster than 95% of drivers I race against.

Brakes and N untill the last red light. Brakes and 1st gear on the last red light. Then anticipate the green, right before it goes green, floor the throttle. On green release brakes. Then modulate throttle to control wheel spin.

You obviously have to get the timing right. If you're too early, the car will bog down. If you're too late there will be a fair amount of clutch slip. But it you get it just right.... Ill usually make up 2-3 spots right on the start by using this technique.

is this with TCS on or off ?

ant1897
15-02-2018, 14:08
is this with TCS on or off ?

Off.

sylekta
15-02-2018, 19:32
Off.

ahh ok, with TCS off i can just drop the clutch on green and just control the wheelspin
i will give your technique a try though

wish there was an easy way to measure 0-100 or something to perfect launch techniques